"Machine Check Error" after resume from hibernation, reproducable

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Martijn Saly, Apr 29, 2006.

  1. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Every time when I resume my PC from hibernations, I get an error message
    saying "Machine Check Error" melding. It looks like a regular messagebox
    with a red X, so it's not a BSOD or anything. When clicking OK, the PC
    functions normally. In the BIOS, everything is set to default/auto, as far
    as overclocking settings are concerned. The problem first occurred
    yesterday, when I upgraded my Athlon64 3000+ to an Athlon64 X2 4400+
    dualcore CPU.

    Configuration is as follows:
    - Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI
    - 2x 1GB Crucial DDR400
    - Radeon X800 XT
    - Athlon64 X2 4400+
    - Windows XP Pro x64

    In the event log, I always get this message:
    http://thany.org/screenshots/Screenshot881.png

    And *sometimes* also these:
    http://thany.org/screenshots/Screenshot882.png
    http://thany.org/screenshots/Screenshot883.png
    Although I can't yet pinpoint *when* I get these disturbing-looking erros...

    I've seen a lot go wrong with Windowses, but this is kinda new for me. I
    don't know where I should look now.

    I need help :)

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, Apr 29, 2006

  2. If this means, you fitted the new processor on the 'old' motherboard (?) -
    first thing that comes to mind is a BIOS update! Also, if you didn't do that
    already, I would consider re-installing Windows following such an upgrade.

    I cannot make reassurances as to those messages, they are said to indicate
    hardware errors, but I wouldn't panic until trying those couple of items
    first.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Tony Sperling wrote:
    > If this means, you fitted the new processor on the 'old' motherboard (?) -
    > first thing that comes to mind is a BIOS update! Also, if you didn't do that
    > already, I would consider re-installing Windows following such an upgrade.
    >
    > I cannot make reassurances as to those messages, they are said to indicate
    > hardware errors, but I wouldn't panic until trying those couple of items
    > first.

    I already did a BIOS update. But need I remind you that the mainboard
    officially supports dualcore Athlons out-of-the-box. So it had to work
    without updates. And surprisingly, hardware-wise it does work. Th CPU is
    properly recognized by the BIOS, by Windows, even by memtest86. Oh yeah,
    memtest86 reports no errors after a full test cycle...

    Anyway, a Windows reinstall. I might try if the problem persists after a
    reinstall, but even *if* it works around the problem, I'm not going to
    reconfigure the whole box just for one "silly" warning message. I want to
    fix the problem, rather than work around it. To me, a reinstall is a "if all
    else fails and nothing makes sense no more" kind of thing. It's like buying
    a new car just because it has a scratch :)

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, Apr 30, 2006
  4. Martijn:

    Did you install "AMD AthlonT 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver
    for Windows XP x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions Version
    (exe) 1.2.2. from
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html
    after you installed the new processor.

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2, Apr 30, 2006
  5. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Dennis Pack x64, IE7B2 wrote:
    > Martijn:
    >
    > Did you install "AMD AthlonT 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver
    > for Windows XP x64 Edition and Windows Server 2003 x64 Editions Version
    > (exe) 1.2.2. from
    > http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html
    > after you installed the new processor.

    I sure did, but the problem persists...

    I also reinstalled the latest nForce x64 drivers, btw.

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Martijn Saly wrote:
    > Every time when I resume my PC from hibernations, I get an error message
    > saying "Machine Check Error" melding. It looks like a regular messagebox
    > with a red X, so it's not a BSOD or anything. When clicking OK, the PC
    > functions normally. In the BIOS, everything is set to default/auto, as
    > far as overclocking settings are concerned. The problem first occurred
    > yesterday, when I upgraded my Athlon64 3000+ to an Athlon64 X2 4400+
    > dualcore CPU.
    >
    > Configuration is as follows:
    > - Gigabyte K8N Pro-SLI
    > - 2x 1GB Crucial DDR400
    > - Radeon X800 XT
    > - Athlon64 X2 4400+
    > - Windows XP Pro x64
    >
    > In the event log, I always get this message:
    > http://thany.org/screenshots/Screenshot881.png
    >
    > And *sometimes* also these:
    > http://thany.org/screenshots/Screenshot882.png
    > http://thany.org/screenshots/Screenshot883.png
    > Although I can't yet pinpoint *when* I get these disturbing-looking
    > erros...
    >
    > I've seen a lot go wrong with Windowses, but this is kinda new for me. I
    > don't know where I should look now.
    >
    > I need help :)

    Now I'm being thrown a BSOD with MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION. According to
    Microsoft, either my CPU or my memory is bad. And my memory is perfect.

    Could it really be that my CPU is bad? I never thought that could happen...

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Martijn Saly

    Ivan Guest

    Sorry, It's really a serious processor error:

    Error Machine_Check_Exception http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284/en-us
    And here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/162363/en-us

    Ivan

    Ivan, Apr 30, 2006
  8. CPUs can go bad but this is rare.
    AMD x64 CPUs include the memory controller

    If the exception is not reported on a normal boot, there is no reason to
    suspect faulty memory or CPU.

    What is your PSU? The sudden powerload on resume from hibernation may be
    producing a power fluctuation which is interpreted as a system fault with
    the new and faster CPU, but would have settled before the old and slower CPU
    was ready.

    Dominic Payer, Apr 30, 2006
  9. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Dominic Payer wrote:
    > CPUs can go bad but this is rare.
    > AMD x64 CPUs include the memory controller
    >
    > If the exception is not reported on a normal boot, there is no reason to
    > suspect faulty memory or CPU.
    >
    > What is your PSU? The sudden powerload on resume from hibernation may be
    > producing a power fluctuation which is interpreted as a system fault with
    > the new and faster CPU, but would have settled before the old and slower CPU
    > was ready.

    PSU is a Super Flower SF-450K-14A. With only two harddrives and a humble
    Radeon X800 XT, 450W should be waaay more than enough for my system. I'm not
    sure about the detailed specs of the PSU, but I know it can handle a big
    load. Because neither playing a modern game, nor stressing both CPU cores to
    100% causes any malfunction.

    To me, the MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION seems completely at random and completely
    out of the blue. the Machine Check Error messagebox is just a reproducable
    annoyance with unknown origin...

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, May 1, 2006
  10. Could this be a result of some value in the reg? In the initial stages of
    resuming, it may still be looking for 'one' processor?

    And yes, I am sorry for using bad language there, when saying 're-install' -
    I should have said: repair-install. That at least would have the reg.
    updated, I think.

    Tony Sperling, May 1, 2006
  11. > Sorry, It's really a serious processor error:
    > Error Machine_Check_Exception
    > And here:

    Well isn't that interesting...

    I've been experiencing random BSODs (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, among others)
    for the past couple of weeks/months. I ran memory checks, monitored
    temperature, etc without getting any clear indication as to why this machine
    just decided to start dying every couple of days for no apparently reason.

    Last week, I replaced my Athlon64 3200+ CPU with an X2 4800+. I didn't
    replace anything else. I haven't got a single BSOD since...

    Of course now by saying this I've just jinxed myself and my machine will
    start dying again every other day...

    Homer J. Simpson, May 1, 2006

    =?Utf-8?B?aSBjYW4ndCBnZXQgbXkgYXJyb3cgYmFjayBvbiB0, May 1, 2006
  13. Hello Martin,
    This is a processor reported error message. The OS is simply passing the
    message along to be displayed to the user.
    Most often this can be an BIOS issue. My 64-bit Laptop returns these
    machine check errors from standby, I need a bios update. Information that
    should be removed or redone when returning from sleep are not be reset.
    AMD has a utility to read these event logs
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,0
    0.html

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 15:54:00 +0200
    <From: Martijn Saly <>
    <Subject: "Machine Check Error" after resume from hibernation, reproducable
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
[...]
    <--
    <Thanks,
    <
    <Martijn Saly
    <

    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], May 2, 2006
  14. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    >> Sorry, It's really a serious processor error:
    >> Error Machine_Check_Exception
    >> And here:

    > Well isn't that interesting...
    >
    > I've been experiencing random BSODs (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION, among others)
    > for the past couple of weeks/months. I ran memory checks, monitored
    > temperature, etc without getting any clear indication as to why this machine
    > just decided to start dying every couple of days for no apparently reason.
    >
    > Last week, I replaced my Athlon64 3200+ CPU with an X2 4800+. I didn't
    > replace anything else. I haven't got a single BSOD since...
    >
    > Of course now by saying this I've just jinxed myself and my machine will
    > start dying again every other day...

    This supports the theory of the CPU being bad. I hope you could still RMA
    your 3200+ and get a fresh one to sell on ebay :)

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, May 4, 2006
  15. > This supports the theory of the CPU being bad. I hope you could still RMA
    > your 3200+ and get a fresh one to sell on ebay :)

    The CPU (the 3200, that is) will only be a year old in July. I replaced it
    not because I suspected the CPU was bad; I just wanted something faster. I
    didn't expect it to take care of the BSODs I've been getting recently.

    Warranty aside, how does one test for a "bad" CPU? (I would assume AMD wants
    some pretty concrete proof that the CPU is bad before issuing an RMA
    number)...it's too easy to blame the OS...

    Homer J. Simpson, May 5, 2006
  16. Martijn Saly

    Rick Guest

    If it was a Processor In a Box purchase, they are guaranteed for 3
    years. You contact AMD and they will give you the necessary information
    to get it tested and affect an exchange.

    Rick, May 5, 2006
  17. Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly Guest

    Rick wrote:
    > If it was a Processor In a Box purchase, they are guaranteed for 3
    > years. You contact AMD and they will give you the necessary information
    > to get it tested and affect an exchange.
    >
    > Homer J. Simpson wrote:
    >>> This supports the theory of the CPU being bad. I hope you could still
    >>> RMA your 3200+ and get a fresh one to sell on ebay :)

    >> The CPU (the 3200, that is) will only be a year old in July. I
    >> replaced it not because I suspected the CPU was bad; I just wanted
    >> something faster. I didn't expect it to take care of the BSODs I've
    >> been getting recently.
    >>
    >> Warranty aside, how does one test for a "bad" CPU? (I would assume AMD
    >> wants some pretty concrete proof that the CPU is bad before issuing an
    >> RMA number)...it's too easy to blame the OS...

    Actually your hardware supplier is responsible for this... Just return the
    CPU to him and he is resposible for testing it, and eventually replacing it.

    --
    Thanks,

    Martijn Saly

    Martijn Saly, May 6, 2006
  18. Martijn Saly

    Rick Guest

    Your suggestion depends on how long the hardware supplier warranties the
    CPU you for. If it is within the time frame the supplier provides
    warranty, then the supplier may be contacted. If it is not covered by
    the supplier, then you contact AMD. It's all spelled out in the
    paperwork supplied with the CPU when you buy a PIB.

    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/SellAMDProducts/0,,30_177_4458_3497^3243^1034,00.html

    Rick, May 6, 2006