    Is buying one without the outrageously priced ($477) extended 2 year
    "applecare" warranty a good idea, or is it crazy buying something that
    expensive yet feels so low quality - without getting the extended warranty?

    frederick, Mar 16, 2007

  2. frederick

    Mike Dee Guest

    frederick <> wrote in news:1174038773.403434@ftpsrv1:

    > I don't want to buy one - I need to buy one

    You're screwed mate. Put the blinkers on and shell out for the most
    expensive model they have. Crumbs, it may even help you pick up
    chicks :-D

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 17, 2007

  3. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Mike Dee wrote:
    > frederick <> wrote in news:1174038773.403434@ftpsrv1:
    >
    >> I don't want to buy one - I need to buy one

    > You're screwed mate. Put the blinkers on and shell out for the most
    > expensive model they have. Crumbs, it may even help you pick up
    > chicks :-D

    Pick up chicks? You can buy them outright in various parts of the world
    - good quality ones too - for much less.

    frederick, Mar 17, 2007
  4. frederick wrote:
    > I need to buy a MacBook. I don't want to buy one - I need to buy one -
    > it's not optional. The ones I've looked at are plasticky ipod styled
    > devices, double (or more) the price of windows notebooks with similar
    > poor quality screens and a comparable flimsy low quality feel to them.
    > What gives with these things? Are they actually any good from a
    > hardware point of view? Is the reason that used ones seem to sell for
    > silly prices on TradeMe because they are good, or are they just trendy
    > and in demand at the moment?

    It depends on what you are comparing it against. They only have a
    1.83GHz, or 2.0Ghz C2D to choose from, most other companies supply
    something a lot slower than that.

    A 2GHz white MacBook, with AppleCare is only $300 dearer than a Inspiron
    640M. And all notebooks these days seem to have the same flimsy feel, I
    actually thought the MacBook looked better than others I had seen

    > Is buying one without the outrageously priced ($477) extended 2 year
    > "applecare" warranty a good idea, or is it crazy buying something that
    > expensive yet feels so low quality - without getting the extended warranty?

    You have a year to buy AppleCare, you can take your time to make a decision

    Jason Fanning, Mar 17, 2007
  5. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >> I need to buy a MacBook. I don't want to buy one - I need to buy one
    >> - it's not optional. The ones I've looked at are plasticky ipod styled
    >> devices, double (or more) the price of windows notebooks with similar
    >> poor quality screens and a comparable flimsy low quality feel to them.
    >> What gives with these things? Are they actually any good from a
    >> hardware point of view? Is the reason that used ones seem to sell for
    >> silly prices on TradeMe because they are good, or are they just trendy
    >> and in demand at the moment?

    > It depends on what you are comparing it against. They only have a
    > 1.83GHz, or 2.0Ghz C2D to choose from, most other companies supply
    > something a lot slower than that.
    >
    > A 2GHz white MacBook, with AppleCare is only $300 dearer than a Inspiron
    > 640M. And all notebooks these days seem to have the same flimsy feel, I
    > actually thought the MacBook looked better than others I had seen

    No it's not!
    A 2ghz MacBook with 1gb ram and 80gb hard drive, with three years
    AppleCare is close to $3000. The 1.83 ghz model is a bit cheaper, but
    comes with a smaller hard drive, and no dvd burning.

    A Dell 640m with 160gb HD, 2gb ram, and three years extended warranty is
    about $2,000.

    frederick, Mar 17, 2007
  6. frederick wrote:

    > No it's not!
    > A 2ghz MacBook with 1gb ram and 80gb hard drive, with three years
    > AppleCare is close to $3000. The 1.83 ghz model is a bit cheaper, but
    > comes with a smaller hard drive, and no dvd burning.
    >
    > A Dell 640m with 160gb HD, 2gb ram, and three years extended warranty is
    > about $2,000.

    Yes it is, but only a 1.73GHz model, to upgrade it to the 2GHz model
    (the one the MacBook has in it) you have to have to pay $433 more

    Jason Fanning, Mar 17, 2007
  7. frederick

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <a016b$45fbd753$59645ca7$>,
    Jason Fanning <> wrote:

    > frederick wrote:
    > > I need to buy a MacBook. I don't want to buy one - I need to buy one -
    > > it's not optional. The ones I've looked at are plasticky ipod styled
    > > devices, double (or more) the price of windows notebooks with similar
    > > poor quality screens and a comparable flimsy low quality feel to them.
    > > What gives with these things? Are they actually any good from a
    > > hardware point of view? Is the reason that used ones seem to sell for
    > > silly prices on TradeMe because they are good, or are they just trendy
    > > and in demand at the moment?

    > It depends on what you are comparing it against. They only have a
    > 1.83GHz, or 2.0Ghz C2D to choose from, most other companies supply
    > something a lot slower than that.
    >
    > A 2GHz white MacBook, with AppleCare is only $300 dearer than a Inspiron
    > 640M. And all notebooks these days seem to have the same flimsy feel, I
    > actually thought the MacBook looked better than others I had seen
    >
    > > Is buying one without the outrageously priced ($477) extended 2 year
    > > "applecare" warranty a good idea, or is it crazy buying something that
    > > expensive yet feels so low quality - without getting the extended warranty?

    > You have a year to buy AppleCare, you can take your time to make a decision

    If you buy it from Harvey Normans or Noel Leemings they offer extended
    warranties too which may work out cheaper.

    whoisthis, Mar 17, 2007
  8. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> No it's not!
    >> A 2ghz MacBook with 1gb ram and 80gb hard drive, with three years
    >> AppleCare is close to $3000. The 1.83 ghz model is a bit cheaper, but
    >> comes with a smaller hard drive, and no dvd burning.
    >>
    >> A Dell 640m with 160gb HD, 2gb ram, and three years extended warranty
    >> is about $2,000.

    > Yes it is, but only a 1.73GHz model, to upgrade it to the 2GHz model
    > (the one the MacBook has in it) you have to have to pay $433 more

    Okay, so after doing that, you get a laptop with double the HD capacity,
    double the RAM, a larger (and better?) screen, for over $500 less than
    the MacBook. It's a much greater difference than you suggested earlier.

    frederick, Mar 17, 2007
  9. frederick wrote:

    > Okay, so after doing that, you get a laptop with double the HD capacity,
    > double the RAM, a larger (and better?) screen, for over $500 less than
    > the MacBook. It's a much greater difference than you suggested earlier.

    Larger yes, better no. If you want a larger screen then go for the
    MacBook Pro.

    Also, not double the RAM, the price I gave was with it having 2GB ram.

    And if you don't want it, then don't get one. The best reason for
    getting a Mac is getting OS X, if you don't need it then don't get one.

    Jason Fanning, Mar 17, 2007
  10. whoisthis wrote:

    > If you buy it from Harvey Normans or Noel Leemings they offer extended
    > warranties too which may work out cheaper.

    How do they go when it dies and you are out of the country?

    Jason Fanning, Mar 17, 2007
  11. frederick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    frederick wrote:
    > Mike Dee wrote:
    > > frederick <> wrote in news:1174038773.403434@ftpsrv1:
    > >
    > > > I don't want to buy one - I need to buy one

    > > You're screwed mate. Put the blinkers on and shell out for the most
    > > expensive model they have. Crumbs, it may even help you pick up
    > > chicks :-D
    > >

    > Pick up chicks? You can buy them outright in various parts of the
    > world - good quality ones too - for much less.

    LMAO!
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2007
  12. frederick

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > If you buy it from Harvey Normans or Noel Leemings they offer
    > > extended warranties too which may work out cheaper.

    > How do they go when it dies and you are out of the country?

    Jason, I'd appreciate it if you were to declare any vested interest in Macs
    that you may have (and seem to display in your numerous posts in this
    thread).

    Thanks.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Mar 18, 2007
  13. frederick

    Mike Dee Guest

    frederick <> wrote in news:1174123297.474200@ftpsrv1:

    > Mike Dee wrote:
    >> frederick <> wrote in news:1174038773.403434@ftpsrv1:
    >>
    >>> I don't want to buy one - I need to buy one

    >> You're screwed mate. Put the blinkers on and shell out for the
    >> most expensive model they have. Crumbs, it may even help you pick
    >> up chicks :-D
    >>

    > Pick up chicks? You can buy them outright in various parts of the
    > world - good quality ones too - for much less.

    Ah, but in the morning a MacBook would still be there for you, and the
    next morning, and the next morning, and the next morning, etc etc etc

    Begs the question (no-one has so far). Why do you *need to* buy a
    MacBook? You appear to loath them.

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, Mar 18, 2007
  14. frederick

    frederick Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, so after doing that, you get a laptop with double the HD
    >> capacity, double the RAM, a larger (and better?) screen, for over $500
    >> less than the MacBook. It's a much greater difference than you
    >> suggested earlier.

    > Larger yes, better no. If you want a larger screen then go for the
    > MacBook Pro.
    >
    > Also, not double the RAM, the price I gave was with it having 2GB ram.
    >
    > And if you don't want it, then don't get one. The best reason for
    > getting a Mac is getting OS X, if you don't need it then don't get one.

    It's not size or resolution - it's more to do with variation in contrast
    with viewing angle. MacBooks suck - some of the worst I've seen in any
    new laptops on display - including the very cheapest.
    Apple *do* know better. Their Imac displays and Cinema displays are
    great - the Imac itself is a pretty innovative nice product. MacBooks
    however, seem like just very ordinary laptops at extraordinary prices.
    As I said, I *need* to get one - not optional. I hate being fleeced.
    Reading this makes me even less happy:
    http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook

    frederick, Mar 18, 2007
  15. frederick

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <3a66c$45fc7bcb$59645ca7$>,
    Jason Fanning <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    >
    > > If you buy it from Harvey Normans or Noel Leemings they offer extended
    > > warranties too which may work out cheaper.

    > How do they go when it dies and you are out of the country?

    ask them.

    whoisthis, Mar 18, 2007
  16. frederick

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jason Fanning wrote:
    > frederick wrote:
    >
    >> No it's not!
    >> A 2ghz MacBook with 1gb ram and 80gb hard drive, with three years
    >> AppleCare is close to $3000. The 1.83 ghz model is a bit cheaper, but
    >> comes with a smaller hard drive, and no dvd burning.
    >>
    >> A Dell 640m with 160gb HD, 2gb ram, and three years extended warranty
    >> is about $2,000.

    > Yes it is, but only a 1.73GHz model, to upgrade it to the 2GHz model
    > (the one the MacBook has in it) you have to have to pay $433 more

    Speaking of Dell and upgrades, they will upgrade notebook RAM at about
    $1,000/GB (2GB -> 4GB DDR2 is >$2000) which is outrageous.

    -=rjh=-, Mar 18, 2007
  17. frederick

    frederick Guest

    whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <3a66c$45fc7bcb$59645ca7$>,
    > Jason Fanning <> wrote:
    >
    >> whoisthis wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you buy it from Harvey Normans or Noel Leemings they offer extended
    >>> warranties too which may work out cheaper.

    >> How do they go when it dies and you are out of the country?

    > ask them.

    I have. You wait until you get home.
    Their extended warranties are about 35% lower in price.
    To get a bit real about it, when I was travelling o/s regularly for
    business, then it was a few days here, a few days some place else. If
    one of the laptops I had with me died, then it would have stayed dead
    until I got home anyway (I never had one die). Extended warranties
    available o/s aren't that great, unless you plan on shifting country, or
    stay in one location o/s for an extended duration.

    frederick, Mar 18, 2007
  18. frederick

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <1174197710.430759@ftpsrv1>, frederick <> wrote:

    > whoisthis wrote:
    > > In article <3a66c$45fc7bcb$59645ca7$>,
    > > Jason Fanning <> wrote:

    > >> How do they go when it dies and you are out of the country?

    > > ask them.

    > I have. You wait until you get home.
    > Their extended warranties are about 35% lower in price.
    > To get a bit real about it, when I was travelling o/s regularly for
    > business, then it was a few days here, a few days some place else. If
    > one of the laptops I had with me died, then it would have stayed dead
    > until I got home anyway (I never had one die). Extended warranties
    > available o/s aren't that great, unless you plan on shifting country, or
    > stay in one location o/s for an extended duration.

    Try your insurance company. Years ago a friend got insurance on his
    computers that covered breakdown, ie if they died they were fixed for
    him. Try that, it may work out cheaper.

    whoisthis, Mar 18, 2007
  19. ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Jason, I'd appreciate it if you were to declare any vested interest in Macs
    > that you may have (and seem to display in your numerous posts in this
    > thread).

    Sure, I have a 24" iMac, and a G4 Mac Mini.

    I also have two non Apple notebooks, and four non Apple desktops.

    I use whichever one does a better job at what I need to do. Mac's
    aren't perfect, and they do have faults, but you can't compare a MacBook
    to a Dell Inspiron 1100 and try and say they are expensive

    Jason Fanning, Mar 18, 2007
  20. frederick wrote:

    > It's not size or resolution - it's more to do with variation in contrast
    > with viewing angle. MacBooks suck - some of the worst I've seen in any
    > new laptops on display - including the very cheapest.

    Was it the glossy or the matt screen? I saw a MacBook at a shop the
    other day with a matt screen and it didn't look that nice, but the gloss
    screen does (in my opinion)

    Jason Fanning, Mar 18, 2007