Macbook Air vs Asus Eee

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 22, 2008.

  1. Two different people <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/16/eee_vs_air/>,
    <http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01/16/apple-air-versus-asus-eee-a-comparison/>
    had the idea of comparing Apple's ultrathin Macbook Air with the ultralight
    Asus Eee.

    Peronally I think the Air is a solution in search of a problem. Its thinness
    does nothing to help its portability, while it has a real downside in terms
    of limiting its capabilities. Yes, it's stylish, but so was the G4
    Cube--anybody remember that? Exactly the same sort of idea--a box that
    sacrificed a lot of expandability for the sake of looks. That was
    discontinued after about a year due to poor sales, whereupon it immediately
    became a collector's item. I think the same fate is in store for the Air.

    The Eee can be criticized in terms of its small screen, cramped keyboard and
    limited storage. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anything as capable for
    that price--the features it _does_ have more than make up for its
    limitations. It probably won't do for a primary machine if you can afford
    something more. If you can't (e.g. you're a student, or someone with light
    computing needs), then I think it does quite well. If you _can_ afford
    something bigger as a primary machine, it can still be useful (and not much
    of an expenditure) to get an Eee as a secondary machine, to take those
    places where you can't take your primary machine. You'd have to have a
    pretty cramped carry bag if you can't squeeze an Eee in somewhere.

    (Dis)claimer: I own an Eee, a few Macs, and a couple of Shuttles.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 22, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > Two different people <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/16/eee_vs_air/>,
    > <http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01/16/apple-air-versus-asus-eee-a-comparison/>
    > had the idea of comparing Apple's ultrathin Macbook Air with the ultralight
    > Asus Eee.
    >
    > Peronally I think the Air is a solution in search of a problem. Its thinness
    > does nothing to help its portability, while it has a real downside in terms
    > of limiting its capabilities. Yes, it's stylish, but so was the G4
    > Cube--anybody remember that? Exactly the same sort of idea--a box that
    > sacrificed a lot of expandability for the sake of looks. That was
    > discontinued after about a year due to poor sales, whereupon it immediately
    > became a collector's item. I think the same fate is in store for the Air.
    >
    > The Eee can be criticized in terms of its small screen, cramped keyboard and
    > limited storage. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anything as capable for
    > that price--the features it _does_ have more than make up for its
    > limitations.


    The EE is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and a
    14inch screen is $799....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 22, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and
    > a 14inch screen is $799....


    The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it comes
    with Vista, which will make it seem slower.

    So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2008
    #3
  4. On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:02:49 GMT, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> proffered, in :
    news:fn6073$i9f$:

    > The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I
    > assume it comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >
    > So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.
    >


    The physical weight might be an issue, but the OS wouldn't be. Just
    replace Vista with your distro of choice (OpenSuse 10.3 for me), and
    that performance hit is taken of. I am VERY tempted by the EE though. I
    hear there's a better-spec'd version in the works, so maybe soon I'll
    give in to temptation.

    --
    noho ora mai
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Jan 23, 2008
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> Two different people
    >> <http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/01/16/eee_vs_air/>,
    >> <http://www.devindra.org/tech/2008/01/16/apple-air-versus-asus-eee-a-comparison/>
    >>
    >> had the idea of comparing Apple's ultrathin Macbook Air with the
    >> ultralight
    >> Asus Eee.
    >>
    >> Peronally I think the Air is a solution in search of a problem. Its
    >> thinness
    >> does nothing to help its portability, while it has a real downside in
    >> terms
    >> of limiting its capabilities. Yes, it's stylish, but so was the G4
    >> Cube--anybody remember that? Exactly the same sort of idea--a box that
    >> sacrificed a lot of expandability for the sake of looks. That was
    >> discontinued after about a year due to poor sales, whereupon it
    >> immediately
    >> became a collector's item. I think the same fate is in store for the Air.
    >>
    >> The Eee can be criticized in terms of its small screen, cramped
    >> keyboard and
    >> limited storage. But you'd be hard-pressed to find anything as capable
    >> for
    >> that price--the features it _does_ have more than make up for its
    >> limitations.

    >
    > The EE is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and a
    > 14inch screen is $799....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing
    >


    In fact....

    $699 after $99 Acer cashback!! (according to DSE)....so for an extra
    $100 it is a no brainer IMHO ....unless you want something that small....

    Not the flash'est model but a 15.4inch v 7 inch screen is not to be
    sneezed at....similar celeron (type) cpu....

    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/47968582012f71e22740c0a87f330705/Product/View/XC4179

    hard drive ; 80gb v 4GB

    and at some point Acer has paid MS for the OS....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 23, 2008
    #5
  6. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, thingy did write:
    >
    >> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD and
    >> a 14inch screen is $799....

    >
    > The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it comes
    > with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >
    > So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.


    yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
    something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
    that is so limited that its dead weight.....its like the Apple thin
    book, its a solution looking for a problem.

    Removing vista is a no cost cd insert press enter as you well know....or
    dual boot as you have 80gb to play with....so its hardly a significant
    contrary point....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 23, 2008
    #6
  7. In article <>, Max Quordlepleen did
    write:

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:02:49 GMT, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> proffered, in :
    > news:fn6073$i9f$:
    >
    >> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I
    >> assume it comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >>
    >> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

    >
    > The physical weight might be an issue, but the OS wouldn't be. Just
    > replace Vista with your distro of choice (OpenSuse 10.3 for me), and
    > that performance hit is taken of.


    Sure, you can do that, because you're a geek. :)

    90% of punters don't know, and don't care, about such stuff. They can't be
    bothered to figure out downloading updates, additional installs, etc. They
    just want an appliance they can switch on and immediately start using. That
    I think is the role the Eee fulfils very well.

    > I am VERY tempted by the EE though. I
    > hear there's a better-spec'd version in the works, so maybe soon I'll
    > give in to temptation.


    Certainly Asus won't have this space to itself for much longer. Everex will
    be introducing its Cloudbook in a few days. Also I think someone else will
    be bringing out an adaptation of the Intel Classmate for first-world
    markets.

    The market is certainly hotting up.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2008
    #7
  8. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, thingy did write:
    >>
    >>> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD
    >>> and a 14inch screen is $799....

    >>
    >> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
    >> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >>
    >> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

    >
    > yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
    > something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
    > that is so limited that its dead weight..


    On the contrary, the Eee is a _very_ useful bundle of functionality. On
    Friday, I used mine to do some serious program editing for the first time,
    to make some tricky changes to an application at a client's place. It was
    three hours' worth of Emacs work. And it went well--I got the change tested
    and implemented, and never once felt that the small keyboard or screen got
    in my way.

    OK, so that was a geek's view of the machine. For non-geeks, look at all the
    useful hardware and software built-in. The fact that it has more USB ports
    than some bigger laptops. And the fact that you can take it places where
    those bigger laptops would be out of the question.

    I suspect you're going too much by paper specs. Pop in to your local Dick
    Smith and try an Eee out for yourself. I see they have the black ones in
    stock now.

    > ...its like the Apple thin book, its a solution looking for a problem.


    Given that Asus is shipping one every 6 seconds, I don't think the Eee needs
    to look very hard.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2008
    #8
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, thingy did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, thingy did write:
    >>>
    >>>> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD
    >>>> and a 14inch screen is $799....
    >>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
    >>> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >>>
    >>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

    >> yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
    >> something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
    >> that is so limited that its dead weight..

    >
    > On the contrary, the Eee is a _very_ useful bundle of functionality. On
    > Friday, I used mine to do some serious program editing for the first time,
    > to make some tricky changes to an application at a client's place. It was
    > three hours' worth of Emacs work. And it went well--I got the change tested
    > and implemented, and never once felt that the small keyboard or screen got
    > in my way.
    >
    > OK, so that was a geek's view of the machine. For non-geeks, look at all the
    > useful hardware and software built-in. The fact that it has more USB ports
    > than some bigger laptops. And the fact that you can take it places where
    > those bigger laptops would be out of the question.
    >
    > I suspect you're going too much by paper specs. Pop in to your local Dick
    > Smith and try an Eee out for yourself. I see they have the black ones in
    > stock now.
    >
    >> ...its like the Apple thin book, its a solution looking for a problem.

    >
    > Given that Asus is shipping one every 6 seconds, I don't think the Eee needs
    > to look very hard.


    I have and I decided it was way to limited and way to over-priced for
    $599.....if a full laptop was over $1200 then yes....

    As for emacs, I still have my p2-233 laptop running Debian....perfectly
    good enough for such a limited bit of work (vi or emacs)....and yes in
    that case a EE would be close to ideal.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 23, 2008
    #9
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in message
    news:fn633e$jhk$...
    > In article <>, thingy did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, thingy did write:
    >>>
    >>>> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD
    >>>> and a 14inch screen is $799....
    >>>
    >>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
    >>> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >>>
    >>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

    >>
    >> yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
    >> something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
    >> that is so limited that its dead weight..

    >
    > On the contrary, the Eee is a _very_ useful bundle of functionality. On
    > Friday, I used mine to do some serious program editing for the first time,
    > to make some tricky changes to an application at a client's place. It was
    > three hours' worth of Emacs work. And it went well--I got the change
    > tested
    > and implemented, and never once felt that the small keyboard or screen got
    > in my way.


    Asus markets the EEE to children, which basically sums up its intended use.
    If you're going to try to invent some adult-type "functionality" for this
    thing, you've got your work cut out for you.

    > OK, so that was a geek's view of the machine. For non-geeks, look at all
    > the
    > useful hardware and software built-in. The fact that it has more USB ports
    > than some bigger laptops.


    USB ports, yes, so you can plug in a real hard drive, a real
    keytboard....what else?

    > And the fact that you can take it places where
    > those bigger laptops would be out of the question.
    >


    > I suspect you're going too much by paper specs. Pop in to your local Dick
    > Smith and try an Eee out for yourself. I see they have the black ones in
    > stock now.
    >


    Are you working on commission? Your wEEEEEEEEEEEEEE posts are starting to
    read like spam.

    >> ...its like the Apple thin book, its a solution looking for a problem.

    >
    > Given that Asus is shipping one every 6 seconds, I don't think the Eee
    > needs
    > to look very hard.


    That "every 6 seconds" line refers to the ASUS **sales target** for 2008. My
    god, you're a gullible son-of-a-gun!
    impossible, Jan 23, 2008
    #10
  11. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > As for emacs, I still have my p2-233 laptop running Debian....perfectly
    > good enough for such a limited bit of work (vi or emacs)....and yes in
    > that case a[n] [Eee] would be close to ideal.


    Is that your primary machine, by any chance?

    I'd been idly contemplating getting a laptop for a long time. One thing that
    put me off was the fact that they all came with some version of Windows
    preinstalled. Even if I removed that after purchase, it would still be
    giving money to Microsoft, and contributing to inflated Windows market
    share statistics!

    The Eee was cheap enough that I could just buy it on a whim, to play with.
    Maybe someday I'll get a REAL laptop, but I've had this thing for over two
    months now, and I still like using it.

    The most fiddly part of it I find is the trackpad. But that, unfortunately,
    is common to most laptops (unless perhaps I get a Lenovo, with that
    pencil-eraser thing). So it's the one thing that won't be easily fixed by
    switching to something else.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2008
    #11
  12. On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 00:43:11 GMT, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> proffered, in : news:fn62ip$jhk$1
    @lust.ihug.co.nz:

    >> The physical weight might be an issue, but the OS wouldn't be. Just
    >> replace Vista with your distro of choice (OpenSuse 10.3 for me), and
    >> that performance hit is taken of.

    >
    > Sure, you can do that, because you're a geek. :)
    >


    Thanks! Sadly it ain't really so. I'm a periansipist (my coinage), the
    sort of person who knows what geek code is, but doesn't have his own
    geek code block and couldn't translate someone else's. But I am more
    than capable of replacing an OS and of persuading any even less geeky
    friends to let me do it for them.

    --
    noho ora mai
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Jan 23, 2008
    #12
  13. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, thingy did write:
    >
    >> As for emacs, I still have my p2-233 laptop running Debian....perfectly
    >> good enough for such a limited bit of work (vi or emacs)....and yes in
    >> that case a[n] [Eee] would be close to ideal.

    >
    > Is that your primary machine, by any chance?


    No, its a ancient laptop I keep for travelling....or doing things like
    kickstart builds at someone's place...or vi, playing TA....etc etc....

    > I'd been idly contemplating getting a laptop for a long time.


    I'm more than idle as the p2-233 now has pcmcia issues ie they dont work
    any more...which stops me using firewire and 100 ethernet....and the usb
    is 1.1...

    So I looked at the Asus then looked at the Acer next to it (in DSE) and
    it was no comparison for $100 more...

    One thing that
    > put me off was the fact that they all came with some version of Windows
    > preinstalled. Even if I removed that after purchase, it would still be
    > giving money to Microsoft, and contributing to inflated Windows market
    > share statistics!


    MS wont get much actually...its like cutting off your nose to spite your
    face....its just worth worrying about IMHO.

    > The Eee was cheap enough that I could just buy it on a whim, to play with.
    > Maybe someday I'll get a REAL laptop, but I've had this thing for over two
    > months now, and I still like using it.
    >
    > The most fiddly part of it I find is the trackpad. But that, unfortunately,
    > is common to most laptops (unless perhaps I get a Lenovo, with that
    > pencil-eraser thing). So it's the one thing that won't be easily fixed by
    > switching to something else.


    If its was <$400 then at 1/2 the price of a real laptop its
    interesting....but not for me.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Jan 23, 2008
    #13
  14. In article <>, thingy did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> One thing that
    >> put me off was the fact that they all came with some version of Windows
    >> preinstalled. Even if I removed that after purchase, it would still be
    >> giving money to Microsoft, and contributing to inflated Windows market
    >> share statistics!

    >
    > MS wont get much actually...its like cutting off your nose to spite your
    > face....


    I believe the Microsoft Tax can be quite substantial, if the vendor isn't a
    top-tier one. I think I saw a figure of at least US$100 extra being bandied
    about for a Windows version of the Eee.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2008
    #14
  15. In article <>, Max Quordlepleen did
    write:

    > I'm a periansipist (my coinage) ...


    Do you have a derivation for that? :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2008
    #15
  16. On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 04:11:38 GMT, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> proffered, in :
    news:fn6epk$qkr$:

    > In article <>, Max
    > Quordlepleen did write:
    >
    >> I'm a periansipist (my coinage) ...

    >
    > Do you have a derivation for that? :)
    >


    Yep, although I mispelled my own neologism:

    "A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring:"

    Hence p(i)eriansipist – someone who ignores Pope's excellent advice.
    I'm hoping the coinage can catch on. :)
    --
    noho ora mai
    http://maxqnzs.com/References.html
    Max Quordlepleen, Jan 23, 2008
    #16
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In article <>, thingy did write:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> In article <>, thingy did write:
    >>>
    >>>> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD
    >>>> and a 14inch screen is $799....
    >>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
    >>> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >>>
    >>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.



    You mean it will be bigger, almost twice as fast (1.8GHz Celeron M),
    heavier, comes with a cdrw/dvd drive and running Ubuntu for $1 more
    (once you take into account the $99 cashback offer)

    >> yes its bigger and yes its heavier but it needs to be able to do
    >> something useful....it is hardly a great idea to carry something around
    >> that is so limited that its dead weight..

    >
    > On the contrary, the Eee is a _very_ useful bundle of functionality. On
    > Friday, I used mine to do some serious program editing for the first time,
    > to make some tricky changes to an application at a client's place. It was
    > three hours' worth of Emacs work. And it went well--I got the change tested
    > and implemented, and never once felt that the small keyboard or screen got
    > in my way.
    >
    > OK, so that was a geek's view of the machine. For non-geeks, look at all the
    > useful hardware and software built-in. The fact that it has more USB ports
    > than some bigger laptops.


    USB ports are useless unless you have something to plug into them.
    Carrying round extra hardware negates the size/weight difference which
    is about the only good thing the Eee has going for it IMHO. About the
    only item worth carrying round with a laptop is an external mouse to
    avoid the god-awful touchpad.

    >And the fact that you can take it places where
    > those bigger laptops would be out of the question.


    Care to give a single real world example of where you can take a Eee
    that you couldn't take a full size notebook/laptop? As far as i can see
    the only time a Eee would be an advantage over the Acer laptop is if you
    have to hike halfway up a mountain or intend to go spelunking with the
    damn thing.

    The extra screen real estate & storage vs. the lighter weight & smaller
    size. I know I'd take the storage and screen real estate for most
    occassions.
    Squiggle, Jan 23, 2008
    #17
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    shane Guest

    Squiggle did scribble:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:


    > USB ports are useless unless you have something to plug into them.
    > Carrying round extra hardware negates the size/weight difference which
    > is about the only good thing the Eee has going for it IMHO. About the
    > only item worth carrying round with a laptop is an external mouse to
    > avoid the god-awful touchpad.
    >
    >>And the fact that you can take it places where
    >> those bigger laptops would be out of the question.

    >
    > Care to give a single real world example of where you can take a Eee
    > that you couldn't take a full size notebook/laptop? As far as i can see
    > the only time a Eee would be an advantage over the Acer laptop is if you
    > have to hike halfway up a mountain or intend to go spelunking with the
    > damn thing.


    One of the reasons I no longer take my laptop to Uni is having to lug the damn
    thing around all day. Sure theres an hour break when sitting through a
    lecture, or tutorial, but I ride my bike the 10 k (each way) to uni, and every
    ounce counts.
    That do for a real world example?

    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick
    shane, Jan 23, 2008
    #18
  19. In article <4796c7f7$>, Squiggle did write:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, thingy did write:
    >>
    >>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> In article <>, thingy did write:
    >>>>
    >>>>> The [Eee] is way overpriced at $599 when a base Acer laptop with a HD
    >>>>> and a 14inch screen is $799....
    >>>>
    >>>> The Acer will be bigger, heavier, and harder to carry. And I assume it
    >>>> comes with Vista, which will make it seem slower.
    >>>>
    >>>> So all in all I'd say you're paying more money and getting less.

    >
    > You mean it will be bigger, almost twice as fast (1.8GHz Celeron M),
    > heavier, comes with a cdrw/dvd drive and running Ubuntu for $1 more
    > (once you take into account the $99 cashback offer)


    Sure, that's fine, because you're a tinkerer who knows how to dump the
    preinstalled OS and stick Linux on it. And you're still going to pay the
    Microsoft Tax anyway.

    90% of the punters who are buying the Eee simply aren't going to be bothered
    with any of this. They are after an appliance that they can just switch on
    and immediately start to be productive with. That kind of role I think the
    Eee fills admirably.

    > USB ports are useless unless you have something to plug into them.


    There are _lots_ of things one might want to plug into a USB port.

    >> And the fact that you can take it places where
    >> those bigger laptops would be out of the question.

    >
    > Care to give a single real world example of where you can take a Eee
    > that you couldn't take a full size notebook/laptop?


    How big's your overnight bag?

    > As far as i can see the only time a Eee would be an advantage over the
    > Acer laptop is if you have to hike halfway up a mountain or intend to go
    > spelunking with the damn thing.


    See, you _can_ think of examples. :)

    > The extra screen real estate & storage vs. the lighter weight & smaller
    > size. I know I'd take the storage and screen real estate for most
    > occassions.


    Certainly. But if it's a choice between a smaller screen+storage and nothing
    at all, that's where the Eee comes in.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 23, 2008
    #19
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Squiggle Guest

    shane wrote:
    > Squiggle did scribble:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >
    >> USB ports are useless unless you have something to plug into them.
    >> Carrying round extra hardware negates the size/weight difference which
    >> is about the only good thing the Eee has going for it IMHO. About the
    >> only item worth carrying round with a laptop is an external mouse to
    >> avoid the god-awful touchpad.
    >>
    >>> And the fact that you can take it places where
    >>> those bigger laptops would be out of the question.

    >> Care to give a single real world example of where you can take a Eee
    >> that you couldn't take a full size notebook/laptop? As far as i can see
    >> the only time a Eee would be an advantage over the Acer laptop is if you
    >> have to hike halfway up a mountain or intend to go spelunking with the
    >> damn thing.

    >
    > One of the reasons I no longer take my laptop to Uni is having to lug the damn
    > thing around all day. Sure theres an hour break when sitting through a
    > lecture, or tutorial, but I ride my bike the 10 k (each way) to uni, and every
    > ounce counts.
    > That do for a real world example?
    >


    Now this is one of the things that puzzles me.. why take a laptop to
    uni if you are riding a bike? You cant use it on the way there or home,
    you risk having the thing written off everytime some a-hole in a car
    overtakes then does a left hand turn in front of you, I've never seen
    the need for one during lectures, and between lectures there are
    generally plenty of computers available anyway (except in the last
    minute rush before an assignment/project deadline)

    I can understand if you have an hour or so on the bus/train each way
    where you might be able to achieve something useful.

    and 10kms... harden up man :)
    Squiggle, Jan 23, 2008
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    938
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,159
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,596
  4. impossible

    Asus: Windows EEE will outsell Linux EEE

    impossible, Mar 22, 2008, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    42
    Views:
    1,366
    impossible
    Mar 31, 2008
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    751
    Bert Hyman
    Dec 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page