    I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
    price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?

    Thoughts please......tia......Rich
    Rich Binkley, Nov 14, 2006

  2. Rich Binkley

    Andy Hewitt Guest

    Rich Binkley <> wrote:

    > iMac core duo, 2ghz, 2G of RAM and iphoto 6.0.5
    >
    > I am able, without problems, to use iPhoto to make my pictures look
    > good (to me at least) to have prints made. I take maybe on average of 20
    > photos a week so am not a big user. Am wondering if I am missing
    > anything major by not getting Elements 4?
    >
    > I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
    > price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?
    >
    > Thoughts please......tia......Rich

    iPhoto and Elements are different tools really. iPhoto is excellent at
    organising your images, and as you've found, making adjustments to them
    as well.

    If that's all you do, then I'd say Elements might be a waste of money
    for you. Although Elements can make adjustments, and *maybe* do them
    better than iPhoto (although I don't think it does), it is really a tool
    for much more than that.

    You'll need Elements if you want to get more creative with your photos,
    such as applying filters, and using layers. I have recently upgraded to
    Aperture from iPhoto, and I now only use Elements to run the NoiseWare
    filter.

    I would say that for your purposes it might be an unecessary purchase.
    If you need layers and some basic filters, you could save a bit by
    downloading Gimp (or GimpShop) - http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/. Looking
    at your workload, it'll be sufficient.

    Another indispensible application worth considering is Graphic
    Converter, this has become almost a legend in the Mac graphics line, and
    is considered an essential tool - http://www.lemkesoft.com/en/index.htm.
    I would probably buy this before I bought Elements (in fact I did).

    --
    Andy Hewitt
    <http://web.mac.com/andrewhewitt1/>
    Andy Hewitt, Nov 14, 2006

  3. Rich Binkley

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Rich Binkley wrote:
    > iMac core duo, 2ghz, 2G of RAM and iphoto 6.0.5
    >
    > I am able, without problems, to use iPhoto to make my pictures look
    > good (to me at least) to have prints made. I take maybe on average of 20
    > photos a week so am not a big user. Am wondering if I am missing
    > anything major by not getting Elements 4?
    >
    > I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
    > price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?

    If you have a Canon digicam, consider the Canon
    Imagebrowser software that came with it.

    It will do a lot and lets you shell to an editor
    of your choice from withing it (mine is PSE3) to
    do more.

    I have PSE4 for Win installed on the WinXP side of
    my dual boot MacBook, but really find it not a lot
    better than PSE3 .. so I will wait for the
    universal binary version (PSE5?) to upgrade the OS
    X side.

    I really find iPhoto tedious.

    Phil (MacBook, 2GHz, 2 GB Ram)
    Phil Wheeler, Nov 14, 2006
  4. Phil Wheeler wrote:
    > Rich Binkley wrote:
    >> iMac core duo, 2ghz, 2G of RAM and iphoto 6.0.5
    >>
    >> I am able, without problems, to use iPhoto to make my pictures look
    >> good (to me at least) to have prints made. I take maybe on average of 20
    >> photos a week so am not a big user. Am wondering if I am missing
    >> anything major by not getting Elements 4?
    >>
    >> I know Elements is not Universal. Does anyone know what the upgrade
    >> price might be if I bought it now and later upgraded?
    >>

    > If you have a Canon digicam, consider the Canon Imagebrowser software
    > that came with it.
    >
    > It will do a lot and lets you shell to an editor of your choice from
    > withing it (mine is PSE3) to do more.
    >
    > I have PSE4 for Win installed on the WinXP side of my dual boot MacBook,
    > but really find it not a lot better than PSE3 .. so I will wait for the
    > universal binary version (PSE5?) to upgrade the OS X side.
    >
    > I really find iPhoto tedious.

    Here's another take: Download and try Lightroom. It's free now; no one
    save Adobe knows how it'll be priced, or its future. But, did I mention
    free? And its Universal. I really like it, and it does all my RAW
    conversions, and probably will do all my organizing, that is, if I ever
    get organized.

    --
    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Nov 14, 2006