    any ideas?

    thanks

    Thing

    thing, Jul 7, 2005

  2. Re: Mac os x 10.3, attempting to make an image of the 10.3 to a firewire disk

    On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:17:48 +1200, thing wrote:

    > I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
    >
    > :/
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Thing

    Yeah I seem to remember a problem like that.
    In the end, I used NetRestore and saved the image on a network volume
    instead (and later moved it back to a bootable firewire).

    Maybe there is a solution in http://forums.bombich.com/

    wogers nemesis, Jul 7, 2005

  3. Re: Mac os x 10.3, attempting to make an image of the 10.3 to afirewire disk

    In <> thing wrote:

    > I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
    >
    >:/
    >
    > any ideas?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Thing

    I've never used the restore function in Disk utility so I've just tried
    it now. I attempted to restore from my internal hard drive to an
    external USB drive. It stopped with an error number. It worked after I
    erased the drive to HFS format (it was MS-DOS) and tried again with the
    'Erase Destination' option enabled.

    It looked like it was going to take several hours to copy, but I had to
    stop it anyway since the external drive is far smaller than the space
    used on my boot drive.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Jul 7, 2005
  4. thing

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>, thing <> wrote:

    > I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
    >
    > :/
    >
    > any ideas?

    Use Carbon Copy Cloner. Which si just an AppleScript/Cocoa front-end to
    /usr/bin/ditto, but a nice one :)

    --
    Bruce | 41.1670S | \ spoken | -+-

    Bruce Hoult, Jul 7, 2005
  5. thing

    thing Guest

    Roger Johnstone wrote:
    > In <> thing wrote:
    >

    >>I get a progress box with STOP device busy, and an OK button....
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>any ideas?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>Thing

    > I've never used the restore function in Disk utility so I've just tried
    > it now. I attempted to restore from my internal hard drive to an
    > external USB drive. It stopped with an error number. It worked after I
    > erased the drive to HFS format (it was MS-DOS) and tried again with the
    > 'Erase Destination' option enabled.
    >
    > It looked like it was going to take several hours to copy, but I had to
    > stop it anyway since the external drive is far smaller than the space
    > used on my boot drive.

    I did erase it as it was a windows disk previously....then I did it
    again just to make sure, no joy.....

    I sorta solved it, I just copied all the 10.3 folders to the ext disk
    and chose that as the upgrade disk for 10.4 and it appears to be ok so far.

    The Mac also didnt have a dvd internal drive....so I took a DSE 3.5 inch
    firewire case, opened it up and attached a 6 speed pioneer internal dvd
    player....popped in the tiger dvd and so far the install is going fine!

    I really didnt fancy sending the dvd to OZ to get cds by return.......if
    it got lost I'd be stuffed....

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 7, 2005