Mac OS 10.4.x on Cisco Switch alone issues

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by cashxx, Sep 8, 2006.

1. cashxx

cashxx

Hi everyone,

I posted a week or so ago and have narrowed down the issue.......G5's and Mac mini hardware running Mac OS 10.4.x won't take MCX settings from the server.

For you Windows people this would be like GPO settings not taking on the clients.

This only happens if the machine is first booted for the day or on a restart of the machine.* After you login once it tends to be ok for the day then until the next reboot.

I have setup a small Mac Test network (1 OS X Server, 3 Clients) on its own switch and things work 100% of the time on an unmanaged switch like a 24 port Netgear or something similiar.

I have taken a brand new Cisco Catalyst 3560 Switch out of a box and put the Mac Test Network on it.* I start to see the issues then, so that takes our network out of the loop.* I have it narrowed down to 10.4.x running on G5 and Mac Mini hardware and on Cisco switches.

I noticed spanning-tree portfast is off by default so I turned on portfast and that seems to have the ports running normally now but still see the issues.

I believe this is a bug with 10.4.x and some Mac hardware, because iMacs and older Quicksilvers work fine at all times, no matter what switch the stuff is on.

So my question is.....does anyone have any ideas on what I could turn on or off on the switch to maybe fix this issue?* I'm not too experienced with switches and stuff, but I have full access to this single switch and can basically try anything.* Would appreciate anyones help!

Thanks,

Dan

cashxx, Sep 8, 2006
    1. Advertising