    you get a Mac IBook to see and use Windows shares?

    I am not interested in Mac is better than PC comments or vise versa,
    just constructive technical advice.

    collector@, Jan 25, 2004

  2. collector@

    ac Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > I have a little network, Peer to peer with 2 x Win2k systems and an XP
    > pro machine.
    > It runs DCHP using 602 Lansuite Proxy (http://www.software602.com/) for
    > sharing a network connection and mail services.
    >
    > An associate asked me to hook his IBook to my network for access to the
    > internet, now that was easy as, just setup a TCP/IP in System to use
    > DCHP and away it went.

    Heh, no surprise there ;)

    > Now as one thing leads to another the idea of copying some of my files
    > which are cross platform compatible to his machine came up, but how doe
    > you get a Mac IBook to see and use Windows shares?

    Well if you are using Mac OS X it comes with a built in SMB client.
    All ya do is connect to SMB://computer_name/share_name via the Finder.

    But for Mac OS 9.x and lower you'll need third party software like Dave.
    See http://www.thursby.com/

    Alternatively, you could run FTP (or even Web) Servers and clients.

    > I am not interested in Mac is better than PC comments or vise versa,
    > just constructive technical advice.

    Amiga rules them all!

    ac, Jan 25, 2004

  3. collector@

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    "collector@" <> wrote:
    > Now as one thing leads to another the idea of copying some of my files
    > which are cross platform compatible to his machine came up, but how doe
    > you get a Mac IBook to see and use Windows shares?

    In the OSX Finder head for the "go" menu and select "connect to server".

    Assuming you're running at least 10.2, after a few seconds there are
    your Windows shares, staring you in the face...

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Jan 25, 2004
  4. collector@

    Lebowski Guest

    "ac" <> wrote in message

    > Amiga rules them all!

    Bloody Fucknuckles.. ;)

    Lebowski, Jan 25, 2004
  5. collector@

    steve Guest

    collector@ wrote:

    > I have a little network, Peer to peer with 2 x Win2k systems and an XP
    > pro machine.
    > It runs DCHP using 602 Lansuite Proxy (http://www.software602.com/) for
    > sharing a network connection and mail services.
    >
    > An associate asked me to hook his IBook to my network for access to the
    > internet, now that was easy as, just setup a TCP/IP in System to use
    > DCHP and away it went.
    >
    > Now as one thing leads to another the idea of copying some of my files
    > which are cross platform compatible to his machine came up, but how doe
    > you get a Mac IBook to see and use Windows shares?
    >
    > I am not interested in Mac is better than PC comments or vise versa,
    > just constructive technical advice.

    There was / is a Mac add-on program called "DAVE".

    I bought it for use with my wife's Mac on our Windows / Linux network.

    The Mac is gone now....and there is only one Windows system left. The rest
    use *nix NFS file sharing.

    Mac OS X "panther" does Windows networking out of the box.

    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/

    steve, Jan 26, 2004
  6. collector@

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <0r2Rb.18972$>,
    steve <> wrote:

    > collector@ wrote:
    >
    > > I have a little network, Peer to peer with 2 x Win2k systems and an XP
    > > pro machine.
    > > It runs DCHP using 602 Lansuite Proxy (http://www.software602.com/) for
    > > sharing a network connection and mail services.
    > >
    > > An associate asked me to hook his IBook to my network for access to the
    > > internet, now that was easy as, just setup a TCP/IP in System to use
    > > DCHP and away it went.
    > >
    > > Now as one thing leads to another the idea of copying some of my files
    > > which are cross platform compatible to his machine came up, but how doe
    > > you get a Mac IBook to see and use Windows shares?
    > >
    > > I am not interested in Mac is better than PC comments or vise versa,
    > > just constructive technical advice.

    > There was / is a Mac add-on program called "DAVE".
    >
    > I bought it for use with my wife's Mac on our Windows / Linux network.
    >
    > The Mac is gone now....and there is only one Windows system left. The rest
    > use *nix NFS file sharing.
    >
    > Mac OS X "panther" does Windows networking out of the box.
    >
    > http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/windows/

    Here's a helpful site too...
    http://www.macwindows.com/

    Phil

    --
    Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
    http://www.bluengrey.com

    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community

    Philip Roy, Jan 26, 2004