    Have you tried posting your problems
    not related to MS AntiSpyware to
    news://msnews.microsoft.com

    D@annyBoy, Apr 10, 2005

  2. D@annyBoy

    atec Guest

    http://www-dcn.fnal.gov/DCG-Docs/mac/

    atec, Apr 10, 2005

  3. D@annyBoy

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    May be this can Help.
    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html
    IP & MAC - http://www.ezlan.net/ip_mac.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Apr 10, 2005
  4. D@annyBoy wrote:
    > using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
    > was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
    >
    > How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
    > to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?

    CMD prompt (Start --> Run --> CMD --> OK)
    Type in:

    IPCONFIG /ALL

    Press the ENTER key.

    Find your wireless adapter and locate the "Physical Address" section. The
    part that looks like:
    XX-XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
    Is your MAC address.

    Also, your wireless router itself should be able to tell you what devices
    are attached and possibly add them from its interface directly. Refer to
    the manual.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Shenan Stanley, Apr 10, 2005
  5. D@annyBoy

    Matt Gibson Guest

    Yes, MACs are unique.

    However, since MAC addresses can be changed, and it's trivial to determine
    which MAC addresses are able to connect to a wireless network, MAC filtering
    is basically useless.

    Matt Gibson - GSEC

    Matt Gibson, Apr 10, 2005
  6. D@annyBoy wrote:

    > using a wireless adsl router with WEP enabled.
    > was advised to use MAC hardware locking instead.
    >
    > How do I determine the MAC of my laptop?
    > to my understand the MAC is unique in every system? am I right?
    >
    > tia

    Who told you that? Smack him/her. You should not take WEP (or whatever
    encryption you are using) off. WEP is weak, at best, but it is better to
    use it than not. MAC filtering is lame. Someone can easily change their
    wireless "MAC" address and gain access to you wireless network.

    In short, at least use WEP....

    Michael

    --

    "Microsoft isn't evil, they just make really crappy operating systems." -
    Linus Torvald

    Michael Pelletier, Apr 10, 2005
  7. D@annyBoy

    D@annyBoy Guest

    thanks to everyone's response
    I'd stick to
    if's aint broken, ......................

    --

    D@nnyBoy

    D@annyBoy, Apr 10, 2005
  8. D@annyBoy

    Nobody Guest

    Use both. Both are easy to break but you keep the neighbors out of your
    system with a high degree of certainly by using both. Someone that
    really wants in can still break in, but they could also break into your
    house
    and just steal your computer too. :)

    Nobody, Apr 11, 2005