MAC HARDDRIVE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by obarrera, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. obarrera

    obarrera Guest

    I have a MAC OS X Version 10.4.3
    Processor 400 MHz PowerPC G4
    I have one hard drive that is 9.55 GB
    Capacity: 9.55 GB
    Model: WDC WD102BA
    Revision: P73OA30A
    Serial Number: WD-WM9520047921
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk1
    Protocol: ATA
    Unit Number: 0
    Socket Type: Internal
    OS9 Drivers: Yes
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:
    server:
    Capacity: 9.55 GB
    Available: 9.58 MB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk1s8
    Mount Point: /

    AND I JUST BOUGHT A NEW ONE

    Maxtor 6L200P0:

    Capacity: 128 GB
    Model: Maxtor 6L200P0
    Revision: BAJ41G20
    Serial Number: L41XY82G
    Removable Media: No
    Detachable Drive: No
    BSD Name: disk0
    Protocol: ATA
    Unit Number: 1
    Socket Type: Internal
    OS9 Drivers: No
    S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
    Volumes:
    NewServer:
    Capacity: 127.87 GB
    Available: 127.73 GB
    Writable: Yes
    File System: Journaled HFS+
    BSD Name: disk0s3
    Mount Point: /Volumes/NewServer

    NOW I AM TRYING TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE ONE. MAYBE RAID OR SOEMTHING
    SIMILAR TO A WINDOWS, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON A MAC. IF
    SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT AND TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT I WILL GREATLY
    APPRECIATE IT.
    THANKS IN ADVANCE
    obarrera, Jan 28, 2006

  2. obarrera wrote:
    > I have a MAC OS X Version 10.4.3

    <SNIP>
    > NOW I AM TRYING TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE ONE. MAYBE RAID OR SOEMTHING
    > SIMILAR TO A WINDOWS, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON A MAC. IF
    > SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT AND TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT I WILL GREATLY
    > APPRECIATE IT.
    > THANKS IN ADVANCE

    Please don't shout...

    Use Disk Utility, click on RAID and drag your disks in.
    I'm not sure if you can add you existing boot volume, so you may need to
    boot from the CD to be able to do it.
    Select your raid scheme (stripe), name and format.

    You will probably lose all data on your original disk, so back it up first!
    ::Your Name Here::, Jan 28, 2006

  3. obarrera

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    obarrera <> wrote:

    > NOW I AM TRYING TO MAKE THEM LOOK LIKE ONE. MAYBE RAID OR SOEMTHING
    > SIMILAR TO A WINDOWS, BUT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DO IT ON A MAC. IF
    > SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT AND TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT I WILL GREATLY
    > APPRECIATE IT.
    > THANKS IN ADVANCE

    Disk Utility: RAID> RAID TYPE> concatenated

    You understand that doing so means you accept a bit of risk; if that
    old drive goes south, you could lose the file catalog and potentially
    some files on the new drive as well?

    I suggest you consider setting the old one as a scratch disk or a
    secondary OS. You might even like separating Classic onto that drive,
    if you have much software to load into OS 9.
    Mitch, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Re: Re: MAC HARDDRIVE

    Mitch wrote:

    >You understand that doing so means you accept a bit of risk; if that
    >old drive goes south, you could lose the file catalog and potentially
    >some files on the new drive as well?
    >
    >I suggest you consider setting the old one as a scratch disk or a
    >secondary OS. You might even like separating Classic onto that drive,
    >if you have much software to load into OS 9.

    What does this speculation lead to?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  5. obarrera

    obarrera Guest

    What disk are you talking about? Are you talking about the one that
    came with the harddrive or the one Mac OS disk? How would I back up my
    data? Any specific software or just back it up to a disk?
    obarrera, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Re: Re: MAC HARDDRIVE

    obarrera wrote:

    What disk are you talking about? Are you talking about the one that
    >came with the harddrive or the one Mac OS disk? How would I back up my
    >data? Any specific software or just back it up to a disk?

    Is it important to you that your?
    Liza Smorgaborgsson, Jan 30, 2006
  7. obarrera

    obarrera Guest

    Is it important to you that your?

    I dont understand. Yes my 9-10GB Hard Drive is important to me becuase
    I have some valuable things in it. How will I back up the data on it so
    that I can combine both hard drives together?
    obarrera, Jan 31, 2006
  8. obarrera

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>,
    obarrera <> wrote:

    > Is it important to you that your?
    >
    > I dont understand. Yes my 9-10GB Hard Drive is important to me becuase
    > I have some valuable things in it. How will I back up the data on it so
    > that I can combine both hard drives together?

    You don't need to do anything to back up the files other than copy
    everything on them (assuming you want everything) to a different
    storage location.
    If you only need to retain your user files (documents, data,
    preferences, etc.) just copy the User folder you were using. It would
    be much faster and easier.

    So once the drive is connected, copy the user folder to a blank CD-R
    and eject the CD-R. Nothing more to it.

    But back to the other question --
    why do you need to make both drives appear as one drive?
    You don't have to do that in order to be able to use both drives -- the
    computer can use many drives at once without having to use them as one
    volume. And there is a disadvantage to using them as one volume.
    Mitch, Feb 1, 2006