MAC filtering

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. With this enabled on the router is there really any need for other layers of
    security (ex. WEP, WPA, etc.)?

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Feb 28, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    Security Needs is a relative term. MAC filter will block an innocent
    neighbor that might wonder accidentally onto your Wireless Connection.
    However if the "Leech" is a Hacker it will be very easy for him to Hack the
    MAC and get into your Network.

    WEP, WPA, and the Future - http://www.ezlan.net/wpa_wep.html

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Feb 28, 2005

  3. Thanks for the clarification (neighbor vs hacker) ... I'll check out the URLs
    you included.

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Feb 28, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=

    DLink Guru Guest

    Just to follow up on that, a hacker would more then likely beable to crack
    through your WEP security also, and even WPA is not uncrackable.

    You want a secure network? Go Wired without an outside connection :)

    DLink Guru, Mar 1, 2005