    any suggestions?

    thanx
    Russell

    Russell Smithies, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Russell Smithies

    Mark Donovan Guest

    You can stick with Excel as Microsoft Office for OS X is admittedly
    quite good now. Office for OS 8/9 was quite flaky.

    There is also FileMaker Pro which is very popular and very easy to use,
    particularly if you are constructing your own database from scratch.

    Mark Donovan, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Russell Smithies

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <>,
    Mark Donovan <> wrote:

    > You can stick with Excel as Microsoft Office for OS X is admittedly
    > quite good now. Office for OS 8/9 was quite flaky.
    >
    > There is also FileMaker Pro which is very popular and very easy to use,
    > particularly if you are constructing your own database from scratch.
    >

    > In article <fr7zb.17084$>,
    > "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:
    >
    > > What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
    > > I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
    > > spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
    > > what he needs.
    > >
    > > any suggestions?
    > >
    > > thanx
    > > Russell

    And of course, FileMaker is cross-platform...runs on Macs and PC, can
    share database files etc....great program, easy to use.

    Phil

    --
    Bluengrey.com - Website and Multimedia development
    http://www.bluengrey.com

    MacGuide @ NZMac.com :: http://www.macguide.co.nz
    All Mac - All Kiwi - Supporting the New Zealand Mac Community

    Philip Roy, Dec 3, 2003
  4. Russell Smithies

    Warwick Guest

    On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:25:20 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    <> wrote:

    >What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
    >I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
    >spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
    >what he needs.
    >
    >any suggestions?
    >
    >thanx
    >Russell

    dumb question from the cheap seats here ... but I thought Mac's had
    excellent support fo unix programs. So there would be nothing to stop
    you using GNU applications? In which case mysql would be perfect?

    please correct me if I am wrong, I know bugger all about MacIntoshs'
    but my Prof swears by them. As soon as I can afford one I will take
    the plunge.

    cheers
    Warwick

    Warwick, Dec 3, 2003
  5. Russell Smithies

    bruce Guest

    & its a free to try download

    bruce, Dec 3, 2003
  6. Russell Smithies

    -[Myth]- Guest

    I think that only OSX can run unix apps (being based on unix) but i may
    be wrong as I dont own a mac.

    -[Myth]-, Dec 3, 2003
  7. Russell Smithies

    Mark. Guest

    Yes, Mac OS X is based on UNIX so mysql is not a problem, but it
    wouldn't be my first choice when it comes to ease of use etc..

    Mark., Dec 3, 2003
  8. Russell Smithies

    Philip Roy Guest

    In article <Dqgzb.17584$>,
    "-[Myth]-" <mythdl@No_SPAM.users.sourceforge.net[spam_go_away]> wrote:

    > I think that only OSX can run unix apps (being based on unix) but i may
    > be wrong as I dont own a mac.
    > Warwick wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 10:25:20 +1300, "Russell Smithies"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
    > >>I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
    > >>spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
    > >>what he needs.
    > >>
    > >>any suggestions?
    > >>
    > >>thanx
    > >>Russell
    > >>

    > > dumb question from the cheap seats here ... but I thought Mac's had
    > > excellent support fo unix programs. So there would be nothing to stop
    > > you using GNU applications? In which case mysql would be perfect?
    > >
    > > please correct me if I am wrong, I know bugger all about MacIntoshs'
    > > but my Prof swears by them. As soon as I can afford one I will take
    > > the plunge.
    > >
    > > cheers
    > > Warwick

    I thin the original posting was about an Excel spreadsheet, so leaping
    to mySQL is a big jump...my FileMaker suggestion was just for a nice
    app, easy to set up files, very "office"-like so it won't scare the
    person away.

    OS X can handle mySQL etc. This site...
    http://www.serverlogistics.com/
    ha a lot of great donation-ware installers for getting it going....easy
    to do...I've got database driven websites under development locally no
    prob....but I think that's going way off the topic.

    Try FMPro...it's easy to use, has a large supportive community out
    there...is cross-platform and, did I say easy? Scriptable too :)

    Phil

    Philip Roy, Dec 3, 2003
  9. Russell Smithies

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <fr7zb.17084$>,
    "Russell Smithies" <> wrote:

    > What's the best/most commonly used Mac database app?
    > I have a friend who wants to create a small, single user one from an Excel
    > spreadsheet but I think it might be best/easier to use Excel's forms to get
    > what he needs.
    >
    > any suggestions?
    >
    > thanx
    > Russell

    Filemaker pro.

    whoisthis, Dec 4, 2003
  10. Russell Smithies

    madknoxie Guest

    In article <>,
    Philip Roy <> wrote:

    > And of course, FileMaker is cross-platform...runs on Macs and PC, can
    > share database files etc....great program, easy to use.

    And its multi-user! (one of the reasons why Access isn't a real DBMS)

    Or is that what you meant by 'share database files'?
    --
    madknoxie

    madknoxie, Dec 4, 2003
  11. Russell Smithies

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    madknoxie <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Philip Roy <> wrote:
    >
    > > And of course, FileMaker is cross-platform...runs on Macs and PC, can
    > > share database files etc....great program, easy to use.

    > And its multi-user! (one of the reasons why Access isn't a real DBMS)
    >
    > Or is that what you meant by 'share database files'?

    Well we use it at work for a job sheet logging system. We have 3 remote
    terminals that can access the same database at the same time (but not
    the same record).

    IIRC File maker also sells more copies than access does.

    whoisthis, Dec 4, 2003
  12. Russell Smithies

    Bruce Hoult Guest

    In article <>,
    whoisthis <> wrote:

    > IIRC File maker also sells more copies than access does.

    Yes, FileMaker is the biggest selling database on Windows. Of course a
    lot of people get access for "free" in their MS Office bundle, so there
    are probably more people *using* Access than FileMaker. But then a lot
    of people with a bundled Acess don't use it ... so who knows.

    Personally I find all integrated database/language/IDE environments too
    limiting and prefer a database like mySQL or PostgreSQL or Oracle that
    will work with my favourite programming language, no matter what it is,
    but if your needs are standardised ones then FileMaker is better than
    Access.

    -- Bruce

    Bruce Hoult, Dec 4, 2003
  13. Russell Smithies