Mac confusion

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RB, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. RB

    RB Guest

    Can someone illuminate why the MAC address is different for my
    router in each of the below scenarios. I copied these from 3 separate
    screens in the router setup. (I have no MAC cloning going on)
    My question, does the router have 3 separate addresses, one for the Wan Port
    then one for the wired Lan port and one for the wireless (radio) Port?
    for my Linksys WRT54G router I get the following values,
    first on the Administration->RouterInformation page it shows,
    Firmware Version: v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004
    Current Time: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:20:28
    MAC Address: 00:50:BA:60:6D:5F <-scenario 1
    Router Name: WRT54G
    The router config side note says
    This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen by your ISP.
    then on the Administration->LocalNetwork page it shows,
    MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:32 <-scenario 2
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server: Enabled
    Start IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    End IP Address: 192.168.1.11
    The router config side note says
    This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, Ethernet network.
    then on the Administration->Wireless page it shows,
    MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:34 <-scenario 3
    Mode: Mixed
    SSID: Bla Blaxxxxx
    DHCP Server: Enabled
    Channel: 7
    Encryption Function: Enabled
    The router config side note says
    This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, wireless network.
    RB, Mar 10, 2010

  2. "RB" <NoMail@NoSpam> wrote in

    > Can someone illuminate why the MAC address is different for my
    > router in each of the below scenarios. I copied these from 3
    > separate screens in the router setup. (I have no MAC cloning going
    > on) My question, does the router have 3 separate addresses, one
    > for the Wan Port then one for the wired Lan port and one for the
    > wireless (radio) Port?

    Exactly correct.
    -- John
    John Wunderlich, Mar 11, 2010

  3. RB

    Lem Guest

    RB wrote:
    > Can someone illuminate why the MAC address is different for my
    > router in each of the below scenarios. I copied these from 3 separate
    > screens in the router setup. (I have no MAC cloning going on)
    > My question, does the router have 3 separate addresses, one for the Wan Port
    > then one for the wired Lan port and one for the wireless (radio) Port?
    > for my Linksys WRT54G router I get the following values,
    > first on the Administration->RouterInformation page it shows,
    > Firmware Version: v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004
    > Current Time: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:20:28
    > MAC Address: 00:50:BA:60:6D:5F <-scenario 1
    > Router Name: WRT54G
    > The router config side note says
    > This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen by your ISP.
    > then on the Administration->LocalNetwork page it shows,
    > MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:32 <-scenario 2
    > IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    > Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    > DHCP Server: Enabled
    > Start IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    > End IP Address: 192.168.1.11
    > The router config side note says
    > This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, Ethernet network.
    > then on the Administration->Wireless page it shows,
    > MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:34 <-scenario 3
    > Mode: Mixed
    > SSID: Bla Blaxxxxx
    > DHCP Server: Enabled
    > Channel: 7
    > Encryption Function: Enabled
    > The router config side note says
    > This is the Router's MAC Address, as seen on your local, wireless network.

    In the context of your router, a MAC address (Media Access Control
    address) is a unique identifier assigned by the manufacturer to each
    network adapter in the piece of hardware. The first 3 octets (first 6
    hex digits) identify the manufacturer. The rest of the MAC address is
    used by the manufacturer for its own purposes.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

    In the case of the WRT54G, there are 3 network adapters:

    1. The network adapter that connects the WRT54G to the cable or DSL
    modem (aka the WAN or Internet port)
    2. The network adapter that connects the WRT54G via a built-in 4-port
    switch to your LAN via Ethernet (aka the LAN ports)
    3. The network adapter that connects the WRT54G to your LAN via
    wireless [aka the wireless access point]

    Normally, each of the 3 MAC addresses should have the same first 6
    digits. If you really copied the information in your post accurately,
    you have an unusual WRT54G, because it indicates that the WAN adapter of
    your Linksys WRT54G was manufactured by D-Link, while the other 2
    adapters were manufactured by Cisco-Linksys. I also note that on my
    WRT54G, the info you report is on sub-tabs of the "Status" page, and not
    the "Administration" page; are you sure that you haven't mixed up two
    different routers?

    See: http://aruljohn.com/mac.pl

    --
    Lem

    Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
    Lem, Mar 11, 2010
  4. RB

    RB Guest

    > Normally, each of the 3 MAC addresses should have the same first 6 digits. If you really copied the information in your post
    > accurately, you have an unusual WRT54G, because it indicates that the WAN adapter
    > of your Linksys WRT54G was manufactured by D-Link, while the other 2 adapters were manufactured by Cisco-Linksys.

    Thanks for the reply, I did in fact copy them (and here is another copy of
    same) but I did change my SSID is all.
    Firmware Version: v3.03.1, Oct. 18, 2004
    Current Time: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 09:00:42
    MAC Address: 00:50:BA:60:6D:5F
    Router Name: WRT54G
    Host Name:
    MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:32
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server: Enabled
    MAC Address: 00:12:17:C9:96:34
    Mode: Mixed
    SSID: xxxxxx
    DHCP Server: Enabled
    Channel: 7
    Encryption Function: Enabled
    > I also note that on my WRT54G, the info you report is on sub-tabs of the "Status" page, and not the "Administration" page; are you
    > sure that you haven't mixed up two different routers?

    No I only have one router hooked up, but you are right about it being on the
    Status page (as I noted this morning) I apologize for that error.
    RB, Mar 11, 2010
  5. RB

    RB Guest

    Thanks.