    Fred Guest

    Does anyone here own a Mac?

    Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the price?

    Fred, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Fred

    Blood Money Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Does anyone here own a Mac?
    >
    > Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the price?

    Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.
    Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
    OOP.

    Blood Money, Oct 5, 2005

  3. Fred

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Blood Money wrote:
    > Fred wrote:
    >> Does anyone here own a Mac?
    >>
    >> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
    >> price?

    > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

    Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
    for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

    > Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
    > OOP.

    But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac years
    ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior for those
    applications anymore.

    Toolman Tim, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Fred

    docmill Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in

    > Blood Money wrote:
    >> Fred wrote:
    >>> Does anyone here own a Mac?
    >>>
    >>> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
    >>> price?

    >> Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus
    >> attacks.

    > Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little
    > incentive for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack
    > that platform.
    >
    >> Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
    >> OOP.

    > But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac
    > years ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior
    > for those applications anymore.

    Security updates might be one.
    Specifically in the OOP or Mac POOP.
    I like to think Opera is immune to the would be's, but then, I hear Mars is
    gonna see size 18 foot prints.
    --
    **************SEND ME A LINK******************
    Docmill's "Home Of Hotlinks In the FryingSpam"

    docmill, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Fred

    Blood Money Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Blood Money wrote:
    > > Fred wrote:
    > >> Does anyone here own a Mac?
    > >>
    > >> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
    > >> price?

    > > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

    > Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
    > for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

    Indeed, I stand corrected.

    > > Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
    > > OOP.

    > But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac years
    > ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior for those
    > applications anymore.

    Hm. This is the current argument used by my Mac advocate friends.
    Perhaps it is perception.

    > --
    > When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

    This makes me wonder (as does the OP) how Apple is able to charge a
    premium price for their products.

    Blood Money, Oct 5, 2005
  6. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    In article <N0H0f.2325$ir4.1582@edtnps90>, Fred <> wrote:

    > Does anyone here own a Mac?
    >
    > Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the price?

    Don't have to deal with Windows, and that is a REAL benefit.
    Don't have to spend so much to keep it running, even with upgrades.
    Everything works. don't have to spend ANY time getting anything to run.
    NOTHING to get in the way of safe, secure, and effective use of the
    computer -- like viruses, security issues, frequent incompatibilities,
    etc.

    Now where did you get the idea of the price difference?
    I figure I'm paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows
    computer.
    Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question!
    Twenty percent? Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  7. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    In article <EcH0f.8393$>, Toolman Tim
    <> wrote:

    > Blood Money wrote:

    > > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

    > Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
    > for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

    A common misconception.
    There are almost ZERO threats against Mac OS -- that's the value right
    now.
    It's not just because it's got a smaller user base, it's a more secure
    OS.
    And it doesn't make any damn difference WHY there aren't viruses -- the
    point is, they are not a threat!

    > > Also, Macs have long been considered superior for graphics design and
    > > OOP.

    > But the fact is that software running on Windows caught up to the Mac years
    > ago. There is no current reason to feel that the Mac is superior for those
    > applications anymore.

    But still mostly not the point.
    The fact that most of the same software can also be found for Windows
    isn't the point. A major reason Mac has been better for graphics
    designers is that the OS stays out of the way much better than Windows
    ever has or could. Using a Mac is much less of a technical process than
    Windows, much more conducive to creative minds.

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  8. Fred

    <> wrote:

    > Blood Money wrote:
    > > Fred wrote:
    > >> Does anyone here own a Mac?
    > >>
    > >> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
    > >> price?

    > > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

    > Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little incentive
    > for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that platform.

    Let me suggest a perspective on this:
    there are plenty of Windows users who have convinced themselves they
    HATE the Mac OS. No reason -- they just didn't want to use it. Mac
    users hear it all the time.
    Do you seriously suggest that virus writers would not want to write Mac
    viruses just because it would only hurt Mac users?

    The attitude suggests to me that there are many users out there who
    would revel in writing Mac viruses and doing as much damage as they
    could to the Mac platform.
    There are, presumably, malicious Mac users as well.
    There are programmers for the many programming methods that Mac OS
    supports aside from Mac software -- Java, Unix, javascript and
    scripting, Visual Basic, and whatever.

    The lack of threat to Mac users isn't an illusion.
    For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
    just don't have to worry about those problems.

    Why isn't that enough to make a major point in the Mac's favor?

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  9. Fred

    Fred Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <N0H0f.2325$ir4.1582@edtnps90>, Fred <> wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone here own a Mac?
    > >
    > > Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the

    price?

    > Don't have to deal with Windows, and that is a REAL benefit.
    > Don't have to spend so much to keep it running, even with upgrades.
    > Everything works. don't have to spend ANY time getting anything to run.
    > NOTHING to get in the way of safe, secure, and effective use of the
    > computer -- like viruses, security issues, frequent incompatibilities,
    > etc.
    >
    > Now where did you get the idea of the price difference?
    > I figure I'm paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows
    > computer.
    > Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question!
    > Twenty percent? Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

    A 17" LCD imac is $1299 compared to a 17" CRT system from Dell at $399. Add
    another $100 for the LCD and you are at 2.5x the price. The lowest tower
    price from apple is $2000 albiet a dual w/o a monitor but that is still 5x
    the price.

    Fred, Oct 5, 2005
  10. Fred

    elaich Guest

    Mitch <> wrote in news:041020052048219630%:

    > For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
    > just don't have to worry about those problems.

    Windows users don't have to worry about them either if they educate
    themselves. The problem is that 99% of Windows users are morons.

    elaich, Oct 5, 2005
  11. Fred

    Seatoller Guest

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 06:48:00 +0000, Mitch wrote:

    > In article <EcH0f.8393$>, Toolman Tim
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Blood Money wrote:

    >> > Unlike Windows, Apple (Mac) OS is practically immune to virus attacks.

    >> Not at all true. But due to the smaller user base, there is little
    >> incentive for hackers/programmers to write malicious code to attack that
    >> platform.

    > Let me suggest a perspective on this: there are plenty of Windows users
    > who have convinced themselves they HATE the Mac OS. No reason -- they just
    > didn't want to use it. Mac users hear it all the time.
    > Do you seriously suggest that virus writers would not want to write Mac
    > viruses just because it would only hurt Mac users?
    >
    > The attitude suggests to me that there are many users out there who would
    > revel in writing Mac viruses and doing as much damage as they could to the
    > Mac platform.
    > There are, presumably, malicious Mac users as well. There are programmers
    > for the many programming methods that Mac OS supports aside from Mac
    > software -- Java, Unix, javascript and scripting, Visual Basic, and
    > whatever.
    >
    > The lack of threat to Mac users isn't an illusion. For many years, right
    > now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users just don't have to worry
    > about those problems.
    >
    > Why isn't that enough to make a major point in the Mac's favor?

    The same thing can be said of linux.

    Seatoller, Oct 5, 2005
  12. Fred

    Seatoller Guest

    On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 06:30:50 +0000, Mitch wrote:

    > In article <N0H0f.2325$ir4.1582@edtnps90>, Fred <> wrote:
    >
    >> Does anyone here own a Mac?
    >>
    >> Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
    >> price?
    >>

    > Don't have to deal with Windows, and that is a REAL benefit. Don't have to
    > spend so much to keep it running, even with upgrades. Everything works.
    > don't have to spend ANY time getting anything to run. NOTHING to get in
    > the way of safe, secure, and effective use of the computer -- like
    > viruses, security issues, frequent incompatibilities, etc.

    The same can be said of linux.

    > Now where did you get the idea of the price difference? I figure I'm
    > paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows computer.
    > Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question! Twenty percent?
    > Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

    Linux can be installed on any PC, unlike MAC which has to use MAC hardware.
    Furthermore, as you can download linux distros for free, it's the cheapest
    of all OSs.

    Seatoller, Oct 5, 2005
  13. Fred

    joevan Guest

    On 5 Oct 2005 09:06:43 GMT, elaich <> wrote:

    >Mitch <> wrote in news:041020052048219630%:
    >
    >> For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
    >> just don't have to worry about those problems.

    >Windows users don't have to worry about them either if they educate
    >themselves. The problem is that 99% of Windows users are morons.

    I know a few of those morons. Actually probably more than a few.
    Prolly every other person who buys a dell today would fit that
    category. But what percentage of Mac users fit that category?

    and for the same reason."

    joevan, Oct 5, 2005
  14. Fred

    programmer Guest

    Fred wrote:
    > Does anyone here own a Mac?
    >
    > Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
    > price?

    Mac is bought only by the Apple die hard fans. They just do not want to
    accept that there is something better than their beloved Mac. The Mac
    community thrives in deluding themselves that Apple is the one and only
    solution to all thier problems. I have personally not used Mac for anything
    serious but the little time I spent using it I got seriously bugged. Never
    will I touch it again.

    programmer, Oct 5, 2005
  15. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, programmer
    <> wrote:

    > Fred wrote:
    > > Does anyone here own a Mac?
    > >
    > > Why would anyone select a mac over a PC since they are 3-4 times the
    > > price?

    > Mac is bought only by the Apple die hard fans.

    And thousands of large and small businesses, many schools of every
    stripe, and millions of home users... not just by die-hard fans.

    > They just do not want to
    > accept that there is something better than their beloved Mac.

    You are referring to what? You can't be thinking of Windows!

    > The Mac
    > community thrives in deluding themselves that Apple is the one and only
    > solution to all thier problems.

    You think? Apple fans believe Apple is the solution to all things, huh?

    It isn't just that they would rather use Mac OS than Windows?
    It isn't that they actually LIKE the products or the company?
    Are you sure you have to describe them as deluded?

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  16. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Seatoller
    <> wrote:

    > The same thing can be said of linux.

    Perhaps. That doesn't diminish the appeal of the feature in Mac OS, but
    it does make you wonder why Windows is still so vulnerable, and why
    people accept that.

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  17. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, Seatoller
    <> wrote:

    > Linux can be installed on any PC, unlike MAC which has to use MAC hardware.

    True enough. Although there are Linux distros for Mac hardware, too.
    But this isn't much of a negative, since many people actually like Mac
    hardware, you know.

    > Furthermore, as you can download linux distros for free, it's the cheapest
    > of all OSs.

    Yes, although most would say those aren't ready for the mainstream user.
    I certainly hope they get better -- competition would really help the
    average user here.
    There is also a lot of great hardware in the PC world -- that hasn't
    always been the case.
    I can't believe it took so long to get rid of the ISA bus garbage,
    troubleshooting COM problems, crude, huge and slow jacks for legacy
    hardware, and that damnable diskette drive.

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  18. Fred

    Trax Guest

    Mitch <> wrote:

    |>In article <>, Seatoller
    |><> wrote:
    |>
    |>> The same thing can be said of linux.

    |>Perhaps. That doesn't diminish the appeal of the feature in Mac OS, but
    |>it does make you wonder why Windows is still so vulnerable, and why
    |>people accept that.

    The IBM and 8080 series chips is the worst chip to of made it out of
    the herd, it doesn't like to multi task, you have to keep throwing ram
    at it to work well. Graphics is also a weak spot, it was never
    intended to be a game chip, or run graphic intensive programs.

    It made it for one reason, it has always been backward compatible,
    until recently no matter what chip you had you could still run older
    software.

    Other systems you could lose a big chunk of your software library on a
    chip upgrade.

    Because of this backward compatibility the vast majority of people had
    IBM PC's when Windows 95 came, out giving it\them multi tasking and a
    GUI, it just snowball'd from there.

    And you can't discount marketing either, OS2 was out before Windows
    but the general public never knew it existed. In fact I read that OS2
    died just a few months ago.

    The fact that Windows is so vulnerable doesn't play into it, it's the
    OS of the mass's (sheep) it's what everybody else is using. And you
    can't ignore the huge third party software base.

    --
    Ever wonder what the rest of the world is searching for?
    http://tinyurl.com/6ow99

    Trax, Oct 5, 2005
  19. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    In article <JaL0f.1745$yS6.1201@clgrps12>, Fred <> wrote:

    > > Now where did you get the idea of the price difference?
    > > I figure I'm paying around ten percent more than a comparable Windows
    > > computer.
    > > Just ten percent to avoid using Windows? No question!
    > > Twenty percent? Thirty percent? NO QUESTION AT ALL!

    > A 17" LCD imac is $1299 compared to a 17" CRT system from Dell at $399. Add
    > another $100 for the LCD and you are at 2.5x the price. The lowest tower
    > price from apple is $2000 albiet a dual w/o a monitor but that is still 5x
    > the price.

    Oh-kay, but what are you getting in that low-end Dell? Certainly not a
    comparable unit! And I'll forgive you, but that low-end Dell would
    certainly NEVER compare well to the minitower Mac (or a minitower of
    Dell's or most Windows PC makers!)

    Here is an editorial focusing on the Mac mini and a low-end Dell; not
    entirely unbiased, to be sure, but the specifics are useful:

    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/miniapplesandoranges/ind
    ex.php
    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/miniapplesandoranges2/in
    dex.php
    http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2005/01/miniapplesandoranges3/in
    dex.php

    This one was a general 'what's good today' survey, but featured the
    mini again very favorably. Cheapest PC here is $1205, but with
    KB/monitor.
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120596,00.asp

    A bizarre article where the author gives best value tips to Linux,
    kudos to Mac for better features, better ease of use, better design...
    yet figures Windows is still in the running because businesses won't
    like the change, and IT departments aren't used to it?
    http://www.technewsworld.com/story/42728.html
    But how can he say Tiger is vastly better at networking, far more
    secure, and yet would still be more difficult than Windows? I've
    connected Windows machines to networks -- I wouldn't consider any step
    of it to be easier. He must be thinking it would be easier than a
    mixed-platform network?

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005
  20. Fred

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, elaich <> wrote:

    > Mitch <> wrote in news:041020052048219630%:
    >
    > > For many years, right now, and for the foreseeable future, Mac users
    > > just don't have to worry about those problems.

    > Windows users don't have to worry about them either if they educate
    > themselves.

    I think you are saying the threat is minimized if you take a lot of
    precautions -- antivirus software, anti-spyware software, updating both
    frequently, having both run frequently (or, according to many here,
    constantly).
    Even with those, it is common for things to get by -- say, an
    attachment from a friend that gets opened from e-mail. Windows
    computers get infected. Things have to be done after to rid them of
    those.
    Obviously, not having to do any of that at all is much simpler.

    (I don't count the firewall, even though it needs to be added to
    Windows -- everyone connected to a network should have a firewall, even
    under Mac OS or Linux.)

    > The problem is that 99% of Windows users are morons.

    I'm not going to suggest Mac users have any different intelligence.
    But since they don't have to learn about those tragically damaging
    threats, or deal with them in any way, there is a natural benefit.

    Mitch, Oct 5, 2005