Mac card reader question: Sony MVC Mavica CD1000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by scott, Nov 18, 2003.

  1. scott

    scott Guest

    > Of the many reasons I can think of to use a stand-alone card reader
    > and avoid tethering your camera, yours beats them all.
    >
    > Geez, get a $30 card reader and keep your current camera.
    >
    > I'd recommend a multiformat USB reader to hedge your bets against
    > future cameras and card types. USB 2.0 is sexy, but USB 1.1 is
    > perfectly adequate. My $25+ Delkin USB 1.1 eFilm 6-way reader
    > (DDREADER-18) has been flawless, but there are dozens out there to
    > choose from. Shop around on the web and then search this goup's posts
    > at groups.google.com for user impressions.

    I've used one for my Ricoh when I couldn't find the software for that
    particular camera. I am assuming that it (a card reader) will work for
    any digital camera, right? We're talking USB.

    My friend with the Sony has tried finding software, a patch, anything to
    DL his photos via the small CD ... to no avail. Anyone have an opinion
    on the matter? He's running a Mac 750 (a newer eMac, I think) and his
    old software isn't compatible.

    I'm a little out of my depth here but would like to help him out.

    Scott
    scott, Nov 18, 2003

  2. scott

    Thox Guest

    On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 1:10:57 -0500, scott wrote
    (in message <>):

    <snip>

    > My friend with the Sony has tried finding software, a patch, anything to
    > DL his photos via the small CD ... to no avail. Anyone have an opinion
    > on the matter? He's running a Mac 750 (a newer eMac, I think) and his
    > old software isn't compatible.
    >
    > I'm a little out of my depth here but would like to help him out.
    >
    > Scott

    Scott,

    I'm running an older G4 with OS 9.2.2. AFAIK, there is no way to transfer
    data from the 3" discs. Here's a brief explanation of my experience.

    I bought the Sony Mavica CD-350 from ClubMac last July before realizing that
    Apples CD-ROM can't read the 3" disc. There's no mention of this on either
    ClubMac or Sony's website.

    You can only download JPEG files via the camera to the computer with OS X.
    The other feature that isn't available on any Mac OS, is the ability to
    download the MPEG files.

    The CSR supervisor at ClubMac had to agree with me after looking and not
    finding any mention of these limitations on either site.

    I was given a RA number & promptly returned the camera, they paid for the
    shipping as well. IMO, the camera shouldn't be offered to Mac users.

    Thox
    Thox, Nov 19, 2003