    come back.

    Cheers'
    Dave

    Dave Cason, Mar 13, 2009

  2. Dave Cason <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a guy in my shop that has XP running on his mac book pro. If
    > pluigged in to the LAN he can login and work happily. Same goes for
    > wireless he can login and work.
    >
    > If he's plugged to the LAN and unplugs he can no longer see the
    > mapped drive shares to the server (SBS2003) any idea why? If he
    > plugs back in the shares come back.
    >
    > Cheers'
    > Dave

    What happens if he disconnects, restarts Windows, and then tries to
    reconnect using wireless? You don't generally want to have both connections
    live at the same time, I think.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 13, 2009

  3. Dave Cason

    Dave Cason Guest

    Hi Lanwench!

    How's everytihng going ? I thougth you mostly hung arouind giveing
    expert advice for us dopey exchange people! (grin)

    Yea, that's probalby true in most cases you won't have both up
    but he was in his office and brought the laptop out to show me
    something and saw that he couldn't see the shares.

    I'll have him test that and I'll also spark up another native IBM laptop
    to test that as well.

    Thanks again!

    Cheers'
    Dave

    Dave Cason, Mar 13, 2009
  4. Dave Cason <> wrote:
    > Hi Lanwench!
    >
    > How's everytihng going ? I thougth you mostly hung arouind giveing
    > expert advice for us dopey exchange people! (grin)

    Heh. I'm a newsgroup junkie ;-)

    > Yea, that's probalby true in most cases you won't have both up
    > but he was in his office and brought the laptop out to show me
    > something and saw that he couldn't see the shares.
    >
    > I'll have him test that and I'll also spark up another native IBM
    > laptop to test that as well.

    This is often a problem. The network connections made over one are confused
    when you're using the other.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 13, 2009
  5. Dave Cason

    James Egan Guest

    On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 07:00:01 -0700, Dave Cason
    <> wrote:

    >If he's plugged to the LAN and unplugs he can no longer see the mapped drive
    >shares to the server (SBS2003) any idea why? If he plugs back in the shares
    >come back.

    If wired and wireless are both enabled on the same subnet xp will use
    the wired connection by default (lower metric) and unplugging will
    create a temporary state of confusion. It is not a good idea to have
    both wired and wireless enabled like this because they will conflict
    at some point usually after closing down using the wired and next time
    it is started up you want wireless. The computer will expect the same
    conditions when it is started up as the last time it was closed down
    and it won't always get them. You need to create hardware profiles to
    overcome this.

    In one hardware profile enable the wireless adaptor and disable the
    wired. In the other, enable the wired and disable the wireless. Then
    when you boot up the machine you will get an extra menu before going
    into windows asking whether you want the wired profile or the wireless
    profile.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308577

    Jim.

    James Egan, Mar 13, 2009