Mac bashers

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by peterwn, Sep 27, 2009.

  1. peterwn

    peterwn Guest

    peterwn, Sep 27, 2009

  2. On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 17:34:21 -0700 (PDT), peterwn wrote:

    > See:
    > http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >
    > "Be afraid, PC bigots"
    >
    > No doubt it is the same motley bunch of MS shills who bash Mac's as
    > well as Linux and for similar reasons.

    I don't see many problems between PC users and Mac users?
    Some of the studios I work in use both and I have clients on
    both sides of the debate.

    The biggest whiners are the Linux users who are like radical
    religious types out of control.

    They tend to spend far more time cutting down the competition
    rather than advocating Linux.

    Moshe Goldfarb, Sep 27, 2009

  3. In article <79475a17-4cc5-425b-9e44-ec2e1cbe9bd4
    @m3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, says...

    > See:
    > http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >
    > "Be afraid, PC bigots"
    >
    > No doubt it is the same motley bunch of MS shills who bash Mac's as
    > well as Linux and for similar reasons.

    Seriously, I've never seen anyone bash a Mac, verbally or physically.
    Oh, complain that they're overpriced, yes, but hey!

    That guy has a chip on his shoulder.

    If I actually had any use for the software that runs so well on Macs, or
    if Macs would run the software I want to use, I'd be out there like a
    flash, now that I can afford them easily. But I haven't, and they don't
    and buying a Mac and then booting it into MS windows seems a bit silly
    to me. <big smile>

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Sep 27, 2009
  4. peterwn

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2009-09-27, peterwn <> wrote:

    > See:
    > http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >
    > "Be afraid, PC bigots"

    Afraid of what?

    Apple continues to completely ingore the top end of the PC market. While
    Apple could certainly kick a lot of ass if they stopped doing that, there is
    no signs of them doing so. So the status quo will most likely stay as it is
    where those of us with slightly interesting requirements end up using Kludge
    Klones to avoid a 4x increase in costs.

    A mini is great for a basic user but not much else. While that covers
    a LOT of people, there are still a lot of people that want something more
    than that and aren't interested in paying the gratutious premium for a Mac
    Pro.

    My Quad Core with the 5 hot swap bays costs the same as a mini.

    --
    On the subject of kilobyte being "redefined" to mean 1000 bytes...

    When I was a wee lad, I was taught that SI units were |||
    meant to be computationally convenient rather than just / | \
    arbitrarily assigned.

    JEDIDIAH, Sep 27, 2009
  5. peterwn

    RonB Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > See:
    > http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >
    > "Be afraid, PC bigots"
    >
    > No doubt it is the same motley bunch of MS shills who bash Mac's as
    > well as Linux and for similar reasons.

    Typical Apple snobbery...

    From the article...

    ~~
    But the fact underlying both these contrary positions is the same: fear
    of Apple."

    (Oh, yeah. Sure. I'm "afraid" of Apple. What a crock -- so we already
    know this dude is delusional.)

    So I've been wondering about that fear. Part of that fear is the
    ignorance that's common, unfortunately, to our human condition - we seem
    to fear more what we least know about, whereas logic would dictate we
    ought to fear things we know more about.

    (Good grief, another really stupid thing to say... "Don't fear the
    unknown thing out in the dark -- fear the things you can see and already
    know about." And he calls this "logic." And, of course, it has nothing
    to do with why I have no interest in a Mac -- or Windows, for that matter.)

    Whatever, some of these commenters, despite protestations to the
    opposite, are patently ignorant of that which they so enthusiastically
    denigrate.

    (No, actually I'm not. I've tried Macs and I've already admitted that I
    *could* get used to the OS if I had to. I like the fact that the Mac OS
    is based on BSD, which makes it solid. What I don't like about Macs is
    the inflated price for the hardware.)

    Part of their fear comes from the annoyance, I suspect, that some of
    them would like Apple equipment but can't, or won't, afford it. So they
    have made such a virtue out of the necessity of having to become Windows
    experts to run these more troublesome (by oh, so many accounts) machines
    they feel they must work all the harder to defend their cheap - sorry,
    'more affordable' - fortresses.

    (Here's where the real snobbery comes in -- the same stuff we saw about
    Apple iPods in another thread. "The only reason people wouldn't buy an
    Apple iPod instead of another MP3 is because they hate Apple or can't
    afford the iPod." Or maybe they like the features or size, or company
    that makes another MP3 player? Again, the mistake that higher prices
    equals higher quality. Even though both the Apple and Dell (for example)
    build the majority of their stuff in sweatshops in China.)

    What could Apple do with this money? For one thing, let's imagine that
    Apple chose to address, even for one month, the charge that Macs are
    'too' expensive.

    ("Too" expensive. Note the quotes. After the admission that some people
    can't buy Macs because they are too expensive, he then turns on his own
    claim by making it seem "dubious." In other words, for Apple cultists,
    the price of an Apple is "worth it," no matter how much you must
    sacrifice to obtain one. Sorry, dude, but they are just freakin'
    computers. I can get a computer with much higher specs than a Mac for
    less than half the price (because I have many choices). That's not a
    delusion, that's reality.)
    ~~

    Do all Mac users and/or advocates have martyr complexes? (Actually I
    know that's not true, I know several Mac users, so there must just be a
    subset of loons who think the world is out to get them, or that the
    world "fears" Apple.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

    RonB, Sep 27, 2009
  6. peterwn

    Snit Guest

    RonB stated in post h9mibg$kkh$-september.org on 9/26/09 7:23
    PM:

    > (Here's where the real snobbery comes in -- the same stuff we saw about
    > Apple iPods in another thread. "The only reason people wouldn't buy an
    > Apple iPod instead of another MP3 is because they hate Apple or can't
    > afford the iPod." Or maybe they like the features or size, or company
    > that makes another MP3 player? Again, the mistake that higher prices
    > equals higher quality.

    Who has said that higher prices equal higher quality?

    You made that up... built a straw man to shoot down.

    Not very exciting.

    --
    [INSERT .SIG HERE]

    Snit, Sep 27, 2009
  7. peterwn

    Snit Guest

    RonB stated in post h9mibg$kkh$-september.org on 9/26/09 7:23
    PM:

    > ("Too" expensive. Note the quotes. After the admission that some people
    > can't buy Macs because they are too expensive, he then turns on his own
    > claim by making it seem "dubious." In other words, for Apple cultists,
    > the price of an Apple is "worth it," no matter how much you must
    > sacrifice to obtain one. Sorry, dude, but they are just freakin'
    > computers. I can get a computer with much higher specs than a Mac for
    > less than half the price (because I have many choices). That's not a
    > delusion, that's reality.)

    Why is it that comparison after comparison finds Macs to be comparable
    priced to similar machines?

    I bet you have no answer for this.

    --
    [INSERT .SIG HERE]

    Snit, Sep 27, 2009
  8. peterwn

    RonB Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > peterwn wrote:
    >> See:
    >> http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >>

    >> "Be afraid, PC bigots"
    >>
    >> No doubt it is the same motley bunch of MS shills who bash Mac's as
    >> well as Linux and for similar reasons.

    > LOL
    >
    > No one cares Peter. MS shills? MS doesn't need shills. THey dominate.
    >
    > Please go back to your 1% linux market share piece of shit amateur
    > operating system

    Obviously *someone* cares, or they wouldn't be here 24/7 spewing their
    stupidity and going through all the effort of creating hundreds of sock
    puppets.

    RonB, Sep 27, 2009
  9. peterwn

    greg Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <79475a17-4cc5-425b-9e44-ec2e1cbe9bd4
    > @m3g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, says...
    >> See:
    >> http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >>
    >> "Be afraid, PC bigots"
    >>
    >> No doubt it is the same motley bunch of MS shills who bash Mac's as
    >> well as Linux and for similar reasons.

    > Seriously, I've never seen anyone bash a Mac, verbally or physically.
    > Oh, complain that they're overpriced, yes, but hey!
    >
    > That guy has a chip on his shoulder.
    >
    > If I actually had any use for the software that runs so well on Macs, or
    > if Macs would run the software I want to use, I'd be out there like a
    > flash, now that I can afford them easily. But I haven't, and they don't
    > and buying a Mac and then booting it into MS windows seems a bit silly
    > to me. <big smile>
    >
    > -P.

    The guy has an inferiority complex, bit like those with a small dick,
    they have to talk other things down to make theirs seem bigger!

    greg, Sep 27, 2009
  10. greg wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> peterwn says...
    >>
    >>> See:
    >>> http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >>>
    >>> "Be afraid, PC bigots"
    >>>
    >>> No doubt it is the same motley bunch of MS shills who bash
    >>> Mac's as well as Linux and for similar reasons.

    >> Seriously, I've never seen anyone bash a Mac, verbally or
    >> physically. Oh, complain that they're overpriced, yes, but
    >> hey!
    >>
    >> That guy has a chip on his shoulder. If I actually had any
    >> use for the software that runs so well on Macs, or if Macs
    >> would run the software I want to use, I'd be out there like
    >> a flash, now that I can afford them easily. But I haven't,
    >> and they don't and buying a Mac and then booting it into MS
    >> windows seems a bit silly to me. <big smile>

    > The guy has an inferiority complex, bit like those with a
    > small dick, they have to talk other things down to make theirs
    > seem bigger!

    One time I told one rider, the reason why he needed a bigger
    motorcycle was to make up for a small dick, when he criticised mine.

    Interesting that this article is crossposted to nz.comp. A short
    while back, I wrote in one of the motorcycle forums of my trek in
    northern Arizona, through the Navajo Reservation, to Window Rock,
    Navajo Pines, through Washington Pass down to Sheep Springs.

    At the mention of Sheep Springs, one of the New Zealand
    motorcycle riders exclaimed, "You must be in heaven!". :)

    I'm not sure of the sanity of running Windows on a Mac, just
    doesn't seem right. Now Linux OTOH, is another story. :)

    --
    HPT

    High Plains Thumper, Sep 27, 2009
  11. On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:20:21 -0500, RonB <> wrote in

    > High Plains Thumper wrote:
    >
    >> One time I told one rider, the reason why he needed a bigger
    >> motorcycle was to make up for a small dick, when he criticised mine.

    > I'm hoping what you meant is that he criticized your *bike* and not...
    > oh, never mind.

    You never can tell with these bikers, Ron...

    --
    - Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 27, 2009
  12. peterwn

    Richard Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > See:
    > http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >
    > "Be afraid, PC bigots"
    >
    > No doubt it is the same motley bunch of MS shills who bash Mac's as
    > well as Linux and for similar reasons.

    They don't make a PC for me. the mini is a joke, the pro's cost too much
    for such a small step up over a basic core2 quad or i7 with 8 gigs
    desktop windows machine.

    They used to have a reasonable range of desktop non all in one machines,
    but now they are just leaving that massive gap in their range.

    I might try a hackintosh on an older machine sometime soon since I would
    like to have a play with ipod touch development and I believe it all
    works ok on it, but really have not looked at it in great detail.

    The idea of moving from windows to mac and relearning everything is
    pretty counterproductive to me. If I am to change to a different desktop
    environment which totally buggers up my work while re-learning it, I
    think it will be something linux based rather than an even more closed
    environment then windows is.

    Richard, Sep 27, 2009
  13. peterwn

    Hadron Guest

    High Plains Thumper <> writes:

    > One time I told one rider, the reason why he needed a bigger
    > motorcycle was to make up for a small dick, when he criticised mine.

    It must have hurt when he criticised your dick. What were you doing
    showing it to him?

    Hadron, Sep 27, 2009
  14. peterwn

    Ezekiel Guest

    "JEDIDIAH" <> wrote in message
    > On 2009-09-27, peterwn <> wrote:
    >>

    >> See:
    >> http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >>
    >> "Be afraid, PC bigots"

    > Afraid of what?
    >
    > Apple continues to completely ingore the top end of the PC market.
    > While
    > Apple could certainly kick a lot of ass if they stopped doing that, there
    > is
    > no signs of them doing so.

    Do you ever have the slightest clue of what you ramble about? Stupid and
    ignorant is no way to go through life boy.

    <quote>
    Prepare for ludicrous speed: Ars reviews the 8-core Mac Pro

    Test machines

    a.. 8-core Nehalem Xeon Mac Pro 2.66 GHz
    b.. 12GB RAM/14GB RAM test configs
    c.. AMD Radeon 4870/Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 test configs
    d.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    e.. 8-core Penryn Xeon Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (early 2008)
    f.. 14 GB RAM
    g.. Nvidia Quadro FX 5600/Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT test configs
    h.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    </quote>
    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/04/266ghz-8-core-mac-pro-review.ars

    Ezekiel, Sep 27, 2009
  15. peterwn

    Richard Guest

    Ezekiel wrote:

    >> Apple continues to completely ingore the top end of the PC market.
    >> While
    >> Apple could certainly kick a lot of ass if they stopped doing that, there
    >> is
    >> no signs of them doing so.

    > Do you ever have the slightest clue of what you ramble about? Stupid and
    > ignorant is no way to go through life boy.
    >

    > <quote>
    > Prepare for ludicrous speed: Ars reviews the 8-core Mac Pro
    >
    > Test machines
    >
    > a.. 8-core Nehalem Xeon Mac Pro 2.66 GHz
    > b.. 12GB RAM/14GB RAM test configs
    > c.. AMD Radeon 4870/Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 test configs
    > d.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    > e.. 8-core Penryn Xeon Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (early 2008)
    > f.. 14 GB RAM
    > g.. Nvidia Quadro FX 5600/Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT test configs
    > h.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    > </quote>
    > http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/04/266ghz-8-core-mac-pro-review.ars

    That is a workstation, well above the specs for what a typical user
    wants from a high spec desktop PC.

    Richard, Sep 27, 2009
  16. peterwn

    Ezekiel Guest

    "Richard" <> wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >>> Apple continues to completely ingore the top end of the PC market.
    >>> While
    >>> Apple could certainly kick a lot of ass if they stopped doing that,
    >>> there is
    >>> no signs of them doing so.

    >> Do you ever have the slightest clue of what you ramble about? Stupid and
    >> ignorant is no way to go through life boy.
    >>

    >> <quote>
    >> Prepare for ludicrous speed: Ars reviews the 8-core Mac Pro
    >>
    >> Test machines
    >>
    >> a.. 8-core Nehalem Xeon Mac Pro 2.66 GHz
    >> b.. 12GB RAM/14GB RAM test configs
    >> c.. AMD Radeon 4870/Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 test configs
    >> d.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    >> e.. 8-core Penryn Xeon Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (early 2008)
    >> f.. 14 GB RAM
    >> g.. Nvidia Quadro FX 5600/Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT test configs
    >> h.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    >> </quote>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/04/266ghz-8-core-mac-pro-review.ars

    > That is a workstation, well above the specs for what a typical user wants
    > from a high spec desktop PC.

    According to you the earlier claim that - "Apple continues to completely
    ignore the top end of the PC market." is valid because the system that I
    listed is "too high end." Strange perspective.

    Ezekiel, Sep 27, 2009
  17. peterwn

    Hadron Guest

    Richard <> writes:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >>> Apple continues to completely ingore the top end of the PC market.
    >>> While
    >>> Apple could certainly kick a lot of ass if they stopped doing that, there
    >>> is
    >>> no signs of them doing so.

    >> Do you ever have the slightest clue of what you ramble about? Stupid and
    >> ignorant is no way to go through life boy.
    >>

    >> <quote>
    >> Prepare for ludicrous speed: Ars reviews the 8-core Mac Pro
    >>
    >> Test machines
    >>
    >> a.. 8-core Nehalem Xeon Mac Pro 2.66 GHz
    >> b.. 12GB RAM/14GB RAM test configs
    >> c.. AMD Radeon 4870/Nvidia Quadro FX 5600 test configs
    >> d.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    >> e.. 8-core Penryn Xeon Mac Pro 2.8 GHz (early 2008)
    >> f.. 14 GB RAM
    >> g.. Nvidia Quadro FX 5600/Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT test configs
    >> h.. Mac OS X 10.5.6
    >> </quote>
    >> http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/04/266ghz-8-core-mac-pro-review.ars

    > That is a workstation, well above the specs for what a typical user
    > wants from a high spec desktop PC.

    LOL. What dumb response when its pointed out by someone that Macs are
    not powerful enough and someone else posts hi end specs.

    Hadron, Sep 27, 2009
  18. peterwn

    JEDIDIAH Guest

    On 2009-09-27, Ezekiel <> wrote:

    > "JEDIDIAH" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2009-09-27, peterwn <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> See:
    >>> http://blogs.nzherald.co.nz/blog/mac-planet/2009/9/25/be-afraid-pc-bigots/?c_id=5&objectid=10599611
    >>>
    >>> "Be afraid, PC bigots"

    >> Afraid of what?
    >>
    >> Apple continues to completely ingore the top end of the PC market.
    >> While
    >> Apple could certainly kick a lot of ass if they stopped doing that, there
    >> is
    >> no signs of them doing so.

    > Do you ever have the slightest clue of what you ramble about? Stupid and
    > ignorant is no way to go through life boy.
    >

    ><quote>
    > Prepare for ludicrous speed: Ars reviews the 8-core Mac Pro

    ....that START at $2400.

    [deletia]

    It doesn't matter if you can go find a Dell that has the SAME EXACT STUFF
    for the same price or more. I don't want or need a Dell that has the SAME
    EXACT STUFF as the Mac that costs $2400 or more.

    This is the tunnel vision that completely excludes Apple from the $650 to
    $2350 portion of the market.

    JEDIDIAH, Sep 27, 2009
  19. Rick wrote:
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> High Plains Thumper writes:
    >>
    >>> One time I told one rider, the reason why he needed a
    >>> bigger motorcycle was to make up for a small dick, when he
    >>> criticised mine.

    >> It must have hurt when he criticised your dick. What were
    >> you doing showing it to him?

    > ... and that says alot about you...

    Yup, Hadron and Snit, Dumb and Dumber.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumb_and_Dumber

    Scooter ride:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRtdgQhVbw

    Selected Windows over Linux and Mac:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s

    Heh!

    --
    HPT

    High Plains Thumper, Sep 27, 2009
  20. peterwn

    Snit Guest

    High Plains Thumper stated in post h9oflo$39l$-september.org
    on 9/27/09 12:50 PM:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> It must have hurt when he criticised your dick. What were
    >>> you doing showing it to him?

    >> ... and that says alot about you...

    > Yup, Hadron and Snit, Dumb and Dumber.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumb_and_Dumber
    >
    > Scooter ride:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKRtdgQhVbw
    >
    > Selected Windows over Linux and Mac:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLB-uMPj27s
    >
    > Heh!

    See how you just lash out. Why not talk about topics of interest and not
    just do that? Your recent spat of anger toward me comes from your error in
    making your lies be inconsistent, both saying the flaw I documented in
    Ubuntu is how it is supposed to work *and* saying you could not replicate it
    and thus you thought it was "forged".

    You made a fool of yourself ... and now you just lash out in anger and
    humiliation.

    --
    [INSERT .SIG HERE]

    Snit, Sep 27, 2009