    Any relevant help appreciative.

    Thanks

    TEX
    TEX, Aug 16, 2004

  2. In article <>, says...
    > Ok it is a EMAC OSX. Has a 80GB hdd. 50% full. I have an external USB
    > 2.0 hdd. Plugged it in and the box didn't even see it. Worked fine with
    > my USB key though. The external enclosure says OS 9.0 or higher. Any
    > ideas???
    >
    > So when I get an HDD to detect, which files should I be backing up. Can
    > I just drag the "Mac drive" icon to the "new drive" and copy everything
    > over that way???
    >
    > Totally new to this MAC thing.
    >
    > Any relevant help appreciative.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > TEX

    You don't say how big your external hard drive is.

    Did you check out the Disk Utility program for Mac OS X - it should be
    in your applications folder somewhere. You can probably then see if it
    (the mac) can physically see the hard drive (do you have external power
    supply for the USB drive by the way?). Then you may try to "format it"
    although Mac OS X can read FAT.

    Alo important to make sure that OS X is current (various wierd usb
    issues) i.e. either 10.2.8 or 10.3.5

    Well you can use carbon copy cloner to make a fully bootable backup
    http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

    Or if you just wanted to preserve a particular user's set of data, just
    grab their home folder from the Users folder...
    wogers nemesis, Aug 16, 2004

  3. TEX

    thing Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Ok it is a EMAC OSX. Has a 80GB hdd. 50% full. I have an external USB
    >>2.0 hdd. Plugged it in and the box didn't even see it. Worked fine with
    >>my USB key though. The external enclosure says OS 9.0 or higher. Any
    >>ideas???
    >>
    >>So when I get an HDD to detect, which files should I be backing up. Can
    >>I just drag the "Mac drive" icon to the "new drive" and copy everything
    >>over that way???
    >>
    >>Totally new to this MAC thing.
    >>
    >>Any relevant help appreciative.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>TEX
    >>

    > You don't say how big your external hard drive is.
    >
    > Did you check out the Disk Utility program for Mac OS X - it should be
    > in your applications folder somewhere. You can probably then see if it
    > (the mac) can physically see the hard drive (do you have external power
    > supply for the USB drive by the way?). Then you may try to "format it"
    > although Mac OS X can read FAT.
    >
    > Alo important to make sure that OS X is current (various wierd usb
    > issues) i.e. either 10.2.8 or 10.3.5
    >
    > Well you can use carbon copy cloner to make a fully bootable backup
    > http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html
    >
    > Or if you just wanted to preserve a particular user's set of data, just
    > grab their home folder from the Users folder...

    what make of enclosure?

    some so called enclusers need a driver for a mac as they are not really
    mac compatible, or plain just crap. I ended up getting the dse firewire
    ext drive case as i couldnt get usb drives that worked faultlessly.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Aug 16, 2004
  4. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>, TEX <> wrote:

    > Ok it is a EMAC OSX. Has a 80GB hdd. 50% full. I have an external USB
    > 2.0 hdd. Plugged it in and the box didn't even see it. Worked fine with
    > my USB key though. The external enclosure says OS 9.0 or higher. Any
    > ideas???

    OK, You can no longer drag and drop, this will NOT, I repeat NOT make a
    complete backup. The easiest method I have come across for OSX is a
    program called Carbon Copy Cloner. There are other solutions but I know
    this one works!

    http://www.bombich.com/software/ccc.html

    I have cloned over 200 drives this way including setting up a Lab full
    of 30 iMacs in one day (each machine needing customisation afterwards).

    > So when I get an HDD to detect, which files should I be backing up. Can
    > I just drag the "Mac drive" icon to the "new drive" and copy everything
    > over that way???

    NO, this will not work. You CAN copy over the user partition, however if
    they are like most "home" users , ie those who can not back the drive up
    themselves, they may have made a mess of the drive by putting files all
    over the place, that makes it more difficult.

    IIRC the eMac does not have USB2, so backing up 40G worth of drive will
    be V E R Y S L O W. Better option is a firewire drive. Even then to do
    a complete clone of the drive will take an hour or so.

    OSX is now BSD UN*X and there are hundreds of thousands of files on a
    fairly typical installation.

    > Totally new to this MAC thing.
    >
    > Any relevant help appreciative.

    Where in NZ are you, you could try to contact someone in the local Mac
    USers Group , most members are only too happy to help

    go to http://nzmac.netfirms.com/ to see a list of Mac user groups in NZ.

    whoisthis, Aug 16, 2004
  5. TEX

    TEX Guest

    The brand of the HDD is enclosure is MPD (Sold by dove electronics). It
    has an external power supply. The HDD is a maxtor 100GB.

    Thanks

    TEX

    TEX, Aug 16, 2004
  6. TEX

    IRO Guest

    In article <P17Uc.3454$>,
    thing <> wrote:

    > what make of enclosure?
    >
    > some so called enclusers need a driver for a mac as they are not really
    > mac compatible, or plain just crap. I ended up getting the dse firewire
    > ext drive case as i couldnt get usb drives that worked faultlessly.

    The "ICE" or "ICZ" Firewire/USB HD/CD/etc cases available from Dragon PC
    have a good track record with Macs. See
    http://218.101.50.208/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=Hard drive&ss=HDD Enclosure

    The ME720U2F ($139+GST) has been giving me good service for my Ext HD
    and the ME320U2F ($136.14+) for the Ext CDRW.
    ------
    ~IRO
    My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.
    IRO, Aug 17, 2004
  7. TEX

    Enkidu Guest

    On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:31:57 +1200, TEX <> wrote:

    >Ok it is a EMAC OSX. Has a 80GB hdd. 50% full. I have an external USB
    >2.0 hdd. Plugged it in and the box didn't even see it. Worked fine with
    >my USB key though. The external enclosure says OS 9.0 or higher. Any
    >ideas???
    >
    >So when I get an HDD to detect, which files should I be backing up. Can
    >I just drag the "Mac drive" icon to the "new drive" and copy everything
    >over that way???

    I've found that some external drives try to draw too much current and
    won't start up. If you have a powered hub, it might help, if your
    external HDD is unpowered.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Aug 17, 2004
  8. TEX

    thing Guest

    IRO wrote:
    > In article <P17Uc.3454$>,
    > thing <> wrote:
    >

    >>what make of enclosure?
    >>
    >>some so called enclusers need a driver for a mac as they are not really
    >>mac compatible, or plain just crap. I ended up getting the dse firewire
    >>ext drive case as i couldnt get usb drives that worked faultlessly.

    > The "ICE" or "ICZ" Firewire/USB HD/CD/etc cases available from Dragon PC
    > have a good track record with Macs. See
    > http://218.101.50.208/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=Hard drive&ss=HDD Enclosure
    >
    > The ME720U2F ($139+GST) has been giving me good service for my Ext HD
    > and the ME320U2F ($136.14+) for the Ext CDRW.
    > ------
    > ~IRO
    > My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    > REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    I had an ICE me740 (i think it was that model number anyway) from Quay,
    that was the worst, pile of crap I have ever seen.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Aug 17, 2004
  9. TEX

    John Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 19:44:51 +1200, thing wrote:

    > IRO wrote:
    >> In article <P17Uc.3454$>,
    >> thing <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>what make of enclosure?
    >>>
    >>>some so called enclusers need a driver for a mac as they are not really
    >>>mac compatible, or plain just crap. I ended up getting the dse firewire
    >>>ext drive case as i couldnt get usb drives that worked faultlessly.

    >> The "ICE" or "ICZ" Firewire/USB HD/CD/etc cases available from Dragon PC
    >> have a good track record with Macs. See
    >> http://218.101.50.208/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=Hard drive&ss=HDD Enclosure
    >>
    >> The ME720U2F ($139+GST) has been giving me good service for my Ext HD
    >> and the ME320U2F ($136.14+) for the Ext CDRW.
    >> ------
    >> ~IRO
    >> My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    >> REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    > I had an ICE me740 (i think it was that model number anyway) from Quay,
    > that was the worst, pile of crap I have ever seen.

    I've been using an ICE ME-320U2 for nearly two years on a PC, and
    apart from the noise (sounds like a 747 taking off) it's been great.
    I use it mainly for storing trueimage files and photo images.
    Intend to put a larger hard drive into the case next month if the
    money holds out:)

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 17, 2004
  10. TEX

    TEX Guest

    thing wrote:

    > IRO wrote:
    >
    >> In article <P17Uc.3454$>,
    >> thing <> wrote:
    >>

    >>> what make of enclosure?
    >>>
    >>> some so called enclusers need a driver for a mac as they are not
    >>> really mac compatible, or plain just crap. I ended up getting the dse
    >>> firewire ext drive case as i couldnt get usb drives that worked
    >>> faultlessly.

    >> The "ICE" or "ICZ" Firewire/USB HD/CD/etc cases available from Dragon
    >> PC have a good track record with Macs. See
    >> http://218.101.50.208/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=Hard drive&ss=HDD Enclosure
    >>
    >> The ME720U2F ($139+GST) has been giving me good service for my Ext HD
    >> and the ME320U2F ($136.14+) for the Ext CDRW.
    >> ------
    >> ~IRO
    >> My ambition in Life is to build something that will
    >> REALLY last....at least until I've finished building it.

    > I had an ICE me740 (i think it was that model number anyway) from Quay,
    > that was the worst, pile of crap I have ever seen.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    Agreed. I have one of those here. Trying to sell it on trade me. It was
    used on a MAC. I can't get it to do anything. Atleast on a PC it "trys"
    to install drivers. Although the hdd clicks a bit.

    They also have a problem with drive size. You can't put a drive bigger
    than 12GB ?? in them.

    TEX
    TEX, Aug 17, 2004
  11. In <> whoisthis wrote:
    > In article <>, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ok it is a EMAC OSX. Has a 80GB hdd. 50% full. I have an external USB
    >> 2.0 hdd. Plugged it in and the box didn't even see it. Worked fine
    >> with my USB key though. The external enclosure says OS 9.0 or higher.
    >> Any ideas???

    > IIRC the eMac does not have USB2, so backing up 40G worth of drive
    > will be V E R Y S L O W. Better option is a firewire drive. Even
    > then to do a complete clone of the drive will take an hour or so.

    The current 1.25GHz eMacs have USB 2 but all the earlier models are USB
    1 only.

    http://vintageware.orcon.net.nz/

    Roger Johnstone, Aug 17, 2004
  12. TEX

    IRO Guest

    In article <HGiUc.3602$>,
    thing <> wrote:

    > > The "ICE" or "ICZ" Firewire/USB HD/CD/etc cases available from Dragon PC
    > > have a good track record with Macs. See
    > > http://218.101.50.208/c.aspx?c=Hardware&s=Hard drive&ss=HDD Enclosure
    > >
    > > The ME720U2F ($139+GST) has been giving me good service for my Ext HD
    > > and the ME320U2F ($136.14+) for the Ext CDRW.
    > >

    > I had an ICE me740 (i think it was that model number anyway) from Quay,
    > that was the worst pile of crap I have ever seen.

    What went wrong with it? This is the first I've heard of problems.

    ------
    IRO, Aug 17, 2004
  13. TEX

    IRO Guest

    In article <4121be93$>, TEX <> wrote:

    > Agreed. I have one of those here. Trying to sell it on trade me. It was
    > used on a MAC. I can't get it to do anything. Atleast on a PC it "trys"
    > to install drivers. Although the hdd clicks a bit.
    >
    > They also have a problem with drive size. You can't put a drive bigger
    > than 12GB ?? in them.

    Something weird here. Mine is a 40GB and I've seen 80's working just
    fine.

    Was it working fine on the Mac? Mine is a bit slow mounting when
    connected as a USB drive, but then USB1 is a bit sluggish.

    ------
    IRO, Aug 17, 2004
  14. TEX

    IRO Guest

    In article <1s84cg0psty1t$>,
    John <> wrote:

    > I've been using an ICE ME-320U2 for nearly two years on a PC, and
    > apart from the noise (sounds like a 747 taking off) it's been great.
    > I use it mainly for storing trueimage files and photo images.
    > Intend to put a larger hard drive into the case next month if the
    > money holds out:)

    Yeah, my 320 is bloody noisy. Might get round to changing fans in it, or
    organising an external fan. It only runs when I need to burn something.

    Actually, with the problems I've been having lately with cloning 3+GB
    Operating Systems etc, it must be time to pull the CDRW and replace it
    with a DVD burner. No particular interest in creating videos but I could
    use some serious backup capacity. Anyone else out there routinely
    burning to DVD?

    ------
    IRO, Aug 17, 2004
  15. John wrote:
    > I use it mainly for storing trueimage files and photo images.

    Trueimage aye... so you're my saviour

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 17, 2004
  16. TEX

    John Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:48:56 +1200, IRO wrote:

    > In article <4121be93$>, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >> Agreed. I have one of those here. Trying to sell it on trade me. It was
    >> used on a MAC. I can't get it to do anything. Atleast on a PC it "trys"
    >> to install drivers. Although the hdd clicks a bit.
    >>
    >> They also have a problem with drive size. You can't put a drive bigger
    >> than 12GB ?? in them.

    > Something weird here. Mine is a 40GB and I've seen 80's working just
    > fine.

    Yes, I'm a little surprised as well. In the information that came with
    the enclosure it states that it supports up to 128GB hard drives. I've
    tried it with a couple of spare drives I have without any problems.
    My ICE enclosure is the ME-320U2 using USB 2 so maybe the problem is
    with the model Tex has.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 17, 2004
  17. TEX

    John Guest

    On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 22:54:31 +1200, IRO wrote:

    > In article <1s84cg0psty1t$>,
    > John <> wrote:
    >
    >> I've been using an ICE ME-320U2 for nearly two years on a PC, and
    >> apart from the noise (sounds like a 747 taking off) it's been great.
    >> I use it mainly for storing trueimage files and photo images.
    >> Intend to put a larger hard drive into the case next month if the
    >> money holds out:)

    > Yeah, my 320 is bloody noisy. Might get round to changing fans in it, or
    > organising an external fan. It only runs when I need to burn something.
    >
    > Actually, with the problems I've been having lately with cloning 3+GB
    > Operating Systems etc, it must be time to pull the CDRW and replace it
    > with a DVD burner. No particular interest in creating videos but I could
    > use some serious backup capacity. Anyone else out there routinely
    > burning to DVD?

    Don't know about routinely burning to DVD, but I do occasionally burn
    to a DVD.
    The only problem that I have found with burning data DVD's is my
    normal DVD reader can't see the data on the disk. I have to use the
    DVD burner to see, and access the information on the disk.
    I use Nero version 6 to burn with, but from reading the groups dealing
    with CD's and DVD's this seems to be a problem with all software and
    readers.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 17, 2004
  18. TEX

    John Guest

    On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 08:57:58 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >> I use it mainly for storing trueimage files and photo images.

    > Trueimage aye... so you're my saviour

    Still using TrueImage version 6, but they are now onto version 8.

    Regards,
    John.
    John, Aug 17, 2004
  19. John wrote:
    >>>I use it mainly for storing trueimage files and photo images.

    >>Trueimage aye... so you're my saviour

    > Still using TrueImage version 6, but they are now onto version 8.

    I just bought 8, and well, I'm freaking stoked that you can get such
    good backup software "cheaply"(only $100)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 17, 2004
  20. TEX

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <dave@no_spam_here_dave.net.nz> wrote:

    > >>Trueimage aye... so you're my saviour

    > > Still using TrueImage version 6, but they are now onto version 8.

    > I just bought 8, and well, I'm freaking stoked that you can get such
    > good backup software "cheaply"(only $100)

    and yet it will not back up a Mac.....
    whoisthis, Aug 18, 2004