    graphic programs etc for Mac OS 9.1?

    Also, is it possible to burn Mac install files with a PC, and have the
    mac read them?
    justme, Aug 3, 2006

  2. justme

    Mike Dee Guest

    justme <> wrote in
    news:eatq25$288$:

    > Is there a site that lists freeware mac apps, such as office
    > suites, graphic programs etc for Mac OS 9.1?

    Pure Mac - http://www.pure-mac.com/ is a good resource. Many freeware
    apps listed but interspersed with OSX, shareware and commercial apps
    so you need to sift.

    Version Tracker - http://www.versiontracker.com/macos/ very good for
    finding Mac software, commercial and freeware.

    Umich Archives - http://www.umich.edu/~archive/mac/ a humongous
    depository of "Classic" Mac software free and shareware.

    > Also, is it possible to burn Mac install files with a PC, and have
    > the mac read them?

    It is best to keep Mac files especially OS 9's and earlier, as
    archives, that is, untouched as you DL them from the net. Then use a
    Mac program such as Stuffit Expander to un-archive them on the Mac
    once you get them off your PC and over to the Mac. This is because Mac
    files for OS 9 and earlier can often contain data in a "resource
    fork" (especially Mac executables) and if you decompress or un-archive
    Mac files on a PC, the PC will strip this "resource fork" off the file
    and render it useless. If you DL mac files to a PC and they have the
    extension .hqx, .bin, .sit do not attempt to modify these files until
    you get them over to the Mac. There are 3rd party tools that you can
    use on a PC to work with Mac files but I've found it generally safer
    and easier to leave them intact until you get them to a Mac.

    The Mac can mount read CD's burned on Windows OK. But long filenames
    are a problem under OS 9 and earlier, the Mac will try to be
    "helpful" and truncate filenames on iso9660 CD's to DOS 8x3 format.
    The freeware or shareware "Joliet File System for Mac OS" comes in
    handy here and fixes this problem for Mac OS9 and earlier.
    http://www.tempel.org/joliet/ scroll down page to DL the freeware
    version 1.4.2

    --
    dee
    Mike Dee, Aug 4, 2006

  3. justme

    thingy Guest

    justme wrote:
    > Is there a site that lists freeware mac apps, such as office suites,
    > graphic programs etc for Mac OS 9.1?
    >
    > Also, is it possible to burn Mac install files with a PC, and have the
    > mac read them?

    There are few open source apps for 9.x compared to 10.4 I bit the bullet
    and upgraded to 10.4 as lots of software is available without paying
    through the nose for....If your Mac has a 500Mhz or better CPU and 500
    meg of ram, it is worth considering IMHO.

    regards

    thing
    thingy, Aug 4, 2006
  4. justme

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-03, justme <> wrote:
    > Is there a site that lists freeware mac apps, such as office suites,
    > graphic programs etc for Mac OS 9.1?

    simtel.net doesn't play favourites, or AFAIK drop old stuff.

    > Also, is it possible to burn Mac install files with a PC, and have the
    > mac read them?

    Macs can read PC disks (with apropriate software),
    mksiofs (linux software) can build mac (HFS) cdrom ISOs.
    as far as I know PC hardware is incapable of writing mac's
    native floppy formats.

    Linux can write mac hard drives, probably not enough to install an
    operating system though. it can probably write mac zipdisks too.

    Bye.
    Jasen
    jasen, Aug 4, 2006
  5. justme wrote:
    > Is there a site that lists freeware mac apps, such as office suites,
    > graphic programs etc for Mac OS 9.1?

    One not listed so far is macupdate.com. It's pretty much like a Mac-only
    versiontracker.
    I'm A Trampoline, Aug 4, 2006