    TIA,

    Conrad
    Camp Sherman, Oregon

    Conrad, Apr 29, 2006

  2. Conrad

    winggang Guest

    Sounds like Keynote which AFAIK is a Mac version of Powerpoint.
    Takes about an hour to learn how to use.
    But isn't Powerpoint the most basic app for presentations for Windoze
    users?

    (If not Keynote then it's probably iPhoto. I've used both; for me
    Keynote is far superior.

    HTH

    winggang.com

    winggang, Apr 29, 2006

  3. Conrad

    J. Clarke Guest

    Conrad wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Our photo club has a meeting coming up (mix of Mac and Windows users).
    > A Mac user is giving an outstanding demo of his slides from the
    > Canadian rockies. Program includes music, fades, etc. Just outstanding.
    > He'll discuss programs used with his Mac.
    >
    > My question is - what comparable programs exist for producing
    > outstanding slide shows for Windows users? This is trying to offer
    > equal opportunities for club's Windows users.

    Powerpoint has the capabilities you describe. Most people don't even try to
    use them and the ones who do generally overdo it, but the capability is
    there.

    Beyond that there's a bewildering array of products available.

    --
    --John
    to email, dial "usenet" and validate

    J. Clarke, Apr 29, 2006
  4. In article <>,
    Conrad <> wrote:

    > A Mac user is giving an outstanding demo of his slides from the
    > Canadian rockies. Program includes music, fades, etc. Just outstanding.
    > He'll discuss programs used with his Mac.

    Post what program he's using, so people have some clue what to
    recommend. If he was using Boinx FotoMagico, the link is at
    http://www.fotomagico.com/
    and it's a great program that I use to save shows to DVD that'll play
    on any TV.

    It could also have been done with iDVD, Apple's program to save video
    and / or still photos to DVD and put them in motion:
    http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/

    I don't have any idea what Windows programs do this, but hopefully this
    will seed the recollections of some Windows users for you.

    Phil Stripling, Apr 29, 2006
  5. Conrad

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Conrad" <> wrote

    > My question is - what comparable programs exist for producing
    > outstanding slide shows for Windows users? This is trying to offer
    > equal opportunities for club's Windows users.

    Only one I've used is Pics2Exe http://www.wnsoft.com It does produce some
    excellent slide-with-music presentations all contained in a single exe file.

    Unfortunately it is not cross-platform - Windows only!

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Apr 30, 2006
  6. Hi, Conrad. Finally a digital camera question I can answer!

    Most people like ProShow Gold, http://
    www.photodex.com/products/proshow, for slideshows. I've never used it
    only because I didn't want to buy yet another program for my computer.

    I've been using PhotoShop Elements versions 2 and 3 to create
    slideshows. The advantage of using Elements is you get the ability to
    create PDF slideshows which are cross-platform. However, unless the
    user has a media PC, they can't view them on tv.

    PhotoShopElements 3/4 allow you to create VCDs (or so the documentation
    says), but when I tried it, it worked on only a very few DVD players.
    So, I saved the slideshows in WMV format and created the VCDs using my
    default Sonic DVD-writing software. They were tested in several DVD
    players and played with no problem.

    PowerPoint has its limitations, because you generally have to have the
    software installed in order to run the slideshow. Yes, there is the
    PowerPoint Viewer download, but not everybody has that or knows how to
    get it. I generally recommend PowerPoint only for multi-media
    presentations that need something other than photos.

    Hope this helps.

    Karen

    VI Photo Gifts, Apr 30, 2006
  7. Conrad, I should have also mentioned Windows' Photo Story version 3, a
    FREE download from Microsoft. Of course, it'll only play on Windows
    computers that have the software, but it's such an easy program, and
    the price is right. What distinguishes it from other programs is it
    encourages you to add narration, and has very simple instructions to
    walk you through it so you can tell your story. You can also add music,
    etc, but you may run into problems with Rights Management. For
    recording life's events, though, like birthdays, anniversaries, etc
    it's perfect, because you can then say, "and here's Linda, Susie,
    Conrad, and me at the Eiffel Tower." So many people are adding music
    and fancy transitions, that to me, don't focus on what the slideshow
    should really be about - the people or the place.

    VI Photo Gifts, Apr 30, 2006