mac-addresses,speed of ports of 2948G switch..Need help..Urgent

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Arunkumar, Jan 14, 2004.

  1. Arunkumar

    Arunkumar Guest

    Thanks for the reply.Can you please tell me what are the physical
    addresses or mac-addresses for the 50 ports of switch 2948G?i need to
    populate values in RFC1213-MIB and IF-MIB to simulate the agent.i got
    this info

    Compare:

    c2948-dc> (enable) show module
    Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub
    Status
    --- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- ---
    --------
    1 1 0 Switching Supervisor WS-X2948 no ok
    2 1 50 10/100/1000 Ethernet WS-C2948G no ok

    Mod Module-Name Serial-Num
    --- -------------------- --------------------
    1 JAB034607C5
    2 JAB034607C5

    Mod MAC-Address(es) Hw Fw Sw
    --- -------------------------------------- ------ ----------
    -----------------
    1 00-30-40-6f-a8-00 to 00-30-40-6f-ab-ff 2.0 6.1(4) 7.4(2)
    2 00-30-40-6f-ab-9e to 00-30-40-6f-ab-fd 2.0

    Can you infer the ifPhysicalAddresses for the 50 ports.please reply
    me.and

    from IF_MIB,
    ifMtu = The size of the largest packet which can be sent/received on
    the interface, specified in octets. For interfaces that are used for
    transmitting network datagrams, this is the size of the largest
    network datagram that can be sent on the interface

    ifSpeed = An estimate of the interface's current bandwidth in bits per
    second. For interfaces which do not vary in bandwidth or for those
    where no accurate estimation can be made, this object should contain
    the nominal bandwidth.

    2948G has 48 ports of 10/100Mbps and 2 ports of gigaspeed.is
    ifSpeed=portSpeed.
    if so,can i set 48 ports to either 10Mbps or 100Mbps??

    and what is the value ofifMtu in this case?

    Since i need replies asap,any help is really appreciated.

    BestRegards
    E.L.R.Arunkumar
    www.adventnet.com
    Arunkumar, Jan 14, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Arunkumar <> wrote:
    :Thanks for the reply.Can you please tell me what are the physical
    :addresses or mac-addresses for the 50 ports of switch 2948G?

    No, sorry.

    i need to

    :c2948-dc> (enable) show module
    :2 1 50 10/100/1000 Ethernet WS-C2948G no ok

    That tells you the ports are in slot 2.

    :Mod MAC-Address(es) Hw Fw Sw
    :2 00-30-40-6f-ab-9e to 00-30-40-6f-ab-fd 2.0

    That tells you the range begins with 00-30-40-6f-ab-9e .
    However, that is a range of 96 MAC addresses, and I do
    not know how that range is allocated. Probably -9e thru -cd
    is the first 48 ports, but I do not know if the last 2 ports
    are -ce and -cf or -fc and -fd .

    :from IF_MIB,
    :ifMtu = The size of the largest packet which can be sent/received on
    :the interface, specified in octets.

    That's usually going to be 1500 for any case you care about on
    the C2948G.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...s_configuration_example09186a008010edab.shtml

    :ifSpeed = An estimate of the interface's current bandwidth in bits per

    :2948G has 48 ports of 10/100Mbps and 2 ports of gigaspeed.is
    :ifSpeed=portSpeed.
    :if so,can i set 48 ports to either 10Mbps or 100Mbps??

    Yup. Notice the bit about ifSpeed being the "current" bandwidth.
    So it'll show the speed the port is currently set to. The first
    48 ports can be either 10 or 100 Mbit. However, in some cases,
    when the port is set to full duplex, on some devices, the
    figure comes out as 20000000 or 200000000 . I do not know if the
    2948G uses that representation or not.

    :and what is the value ofifMtu in this case?

    1500 no matter what the speed is on the 2948G.

    :Since i need replies asap,any help is really appreciated.

    You appear to have access to a 2948G; why not just snmpwalk the device?
    Get ucsd-snmp or the perl snmp moudle.
    --
    Disobey all self-referential sentences!
    Walter Roberson, Jan 14, 2004

  3. Arunkumar

    Dave Keith Guest

    Why not just read them with SNMP ? I believe that if you walk the
    IfPhysAddress with GetIf or something like it, you will get the list of MAC
    address correlated to the Index. Walk the IfIndex to get the Index to Port
    correlation.

    Dave

    Dave Keith, Jan 14, 2004