mac 9.2.2 tcp/ip ethernet not working

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, May 23, 2004.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    Hi All,

    Have a wee problem, just trying to setup a Mac G3 that has in the past
    only had a dailup connection.

    I want it to run on the ethernet port using tcp/ip (via cable from now
    on), but it will not consistantly. ie mostly (sometimes it does) it will
    not. I do not seem able (mostly) to get the networking to start at boot,
    the ethernet port seems to be held administratively down, is there a way
    to force it up and to 100 duplex?

    I would prefer to run DHCP, but will settle for static if thats all
    Mac's will reliably.

    I have gone into control-panels --> tcp/ip and gone to admin mode, set
    dhcp and under options set active and un-ticked "load only when needed"

    So when I reboot I usually get no link light, or IP address
    consistantly, mostly it stays off line. Sometimes when I set appletalk
    to start over tcp/ip in the control strip the link goes live and it
    works. Sometimes when I do the opposite...

    Sometimes when I set sharing to start over tcp/ip the link goes live and
    it works. Sometimes the opposite...

    :/

    Mostly it just refuses to start the ethernet network.

    I have set a manual IP address and sometimes this works and sometimes it
    does not (symptoms as above), so Im getting no consistancy.

    I have run hardware diagnostics and that passes, so my conclusion is at
    present reload the OS because its borked, unless anyone else can point
    me at fixing the ethernet problem?

    I have used 3 ethernet cables, all known good, tried different ports of
    the switch. I am pretty sure there is a bad/corrput networking setup
    somewhere.

    Is there a way in an Apple to "blank" things and restart as if it were a
    new bought Mac so I can set it up? but not lose the documents I have?

    Are there any files I can manually edit to blank? and reboot and set up?

    regards

    Thing
    thing, May 23, 2004

  2. thing

    a Guest

    In article <ya_rc.3653$>,
    says...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Have a wee problem, just trying to setup a Mac G3 that has in the past
    > only had a dailup connection.
    >
    > I want it to run on the ethernet port using tcp/ip (via cable from now
    > on), but it will not consistantly. ie mostly (sometimes it does) it will
    > not. I do not seem able (mostly) to get the networking to start at boot,
    > the ethernet port seems to be held administratively down, is there a way
    > to force it up and to 100 duplex?

    When you went to the tcp/ip control panel did you change your user mode
    to Administrator - to see more available options?

    > I would prefer to run DHCP, but will settle for static if thats all
    > Mac's will reliably.

    OS 9.2 runs DHCP just fine.

    > I have gone into control-panels --> tcp/ip and gone to admin mode, set
    > dhcp and under options set active and un-ticked "load only when needed"

    Yes, that setting can cause all sorts of bother ;-)

    > So when I reboot I usually get no link light, or IP address
    > consistantly, mostly it stays off line. Sometimes when I set appletalk
    > to start over tcp/ip in the control strip the link goes live and it
    > works. Sometimes when I do the opposite...
    >
    > Sometimes when I set sharing to start over tcp/ip the link goes live and
    > it works. Sometimes the opposite...
    >
    > :/
    >
    > Mostly it just refuses to start the ethernet network.

    Maybe your network interface has some sort of problem. Have a look at
    the port and make sure the connecting pins are bent or something..

    > I have set a manual IP address and sometimes this works and sometimes it
    > does not (symptoms as above), so Im getting no consistancy.
    >
    > I have run hardware diagnostics and that passes, so my conclusion is at
    > present reload the OS because its borked, unless anyone else can point
    > me at fixing the ethernet problem?

    Or perhaps your extensions in your System folder have got corrupt or
    something. I'd try a reinstall of your system folder.

    > I have used 3 ethernet cables, all known good, tried different ports of
    > the switch. I am pretty sure there is a bad/corrput networking setup
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Is there a way in an Apple to "blank" things and restart as if it were a
    > new bought Mac so I can set it up? but not lose the documents I have?

    Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Hold the cmd-apple-p-r keys while
    powering on the mac until you hear a second chime.

    > Are there any files I can manually edit to blank? and reboot and set up?

    Find the appropiate OS 9.2 CD and boot off it. Duplicate your System
    folder and then place the original in the trash. Reinstall your Mac OS.

    See what happens. You can always shift your old Preferences and third
    party extensions back for any other apps/settings you have. This will
    eliminate the System Software as a cause.

    a, May 23, 2004

  3. thing

    thing Guest

    a wrote:
    > In article <ya_rc.3653$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>Have a wee problem, just trying to setup a Mac G3 that has in the past
    >>only had a dailup connection.
    >>
    >>I want it to run on the ethernet port using tcp/ip (via cable from now
    >>on), but it will not consistantly. ie mostly (sometimes it does) it will
    >>not. I do not seem able (mostly) to get the networking to start at boot,
    >>the ethernet port seems to be held administratively down, is there a way
    >>to force it up and to 100 duplex?
    >>

    > When you went to the tcp/ip control panel did you change your user mode
    > to Administrator - to see more available options?

    yes.

    >>I would prefer to run DHCP, but will settle for static if thats all
    >>Mac's will reliably.
    >>

    > OS 9.2 runs DHCP just fine.
    >

    >>I have gone into control-panels --> tcp/ip and gone to admin mode, set
    >>dhcp and under options set active and un-ticked "load only when needed"
    >>

    > Yes, that setting can cause all sorts of bother ;-)
    >

    >>So when I reboot I usually get no link light, or IP address
    >>consistantly, mostly it stays off line. Sometimes when I set appletalk
    >>to start over tcp/ip in the control strip the link goes live and it
    >>works. Sometimes when I do the opposite...
    >>
    >>Sometimes when I set sharing to start over tcp/ip the link goes live and
    >>it works. Sometimes the opposite...
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>Mostly it just refuses to start the ethernet network.
    >>

    > Maybe your network interface has some sort of problem. Have a look at
    > the port and make sure the connecting pins are bent or something..
    >

    >>I have set a manual IP address and sometimes this works and sometimes it
    >>does not (symptoms as above), so Im getting no consistancy.
    >>
    >>I have run hardware diagnostics and that passes, so my conclusion is at
    >>present reload the OS because its borked, unless anyone else can point
    >>me at fixing the ethernet problem?
    >>

    > Or perhaps your extensions in your System folder have got corrupt or
    > something. I'd try a reinstall of your system folder.
    >

    >>I have used 3 ethernet cables, all known good, tried different ports of
    >>the switch. I am pretty sure there is a bad/corrput networking setup
    >>somewhere.
    >>
    >>Is there a way in an Apple to "blank" things and restart as if it were a
    >>new bought Mac so I can set it up? but not lose the documents I have?
    >>

    > Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Hold the cmd-apple-p-r keys while
    > powering on the mac until you hear a second chime.
    >

    >>Are there any files I can manually edit to blank? and reboot and set up?
    >>

    > Find the appropiate OS 9.2 CD and boot off it. Duplicate your System
    > folder and then place the original in the trash. Reinstall your Mac OS.

    Think I need to, it wont boot anymore, guess Ive broken something.

    :?

    thing, May 23, 2004
  4. thing

    thing Guest

    a wrote:
    > In article <ya_rc.3653$>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Hi All,
    >>
    >>Have a wee problem, just trying to setup a Mac G3 that has in the past
    >>only had a dailup connection.
    >>
    >>I want it to run on the ethernet port using tcp/ip (via cable from now
    >>on), but it will not consistantly. ie mostly (sometimes it does) it will
    >>not. I do not seem able (mostly) to get the networking to start at boot,
    >>the ethernet port seems to be held administratively down, is there a way
    >>to force it up and to 100 duplex?
    >>

    > When you went to the tcp/ip control panel did you change your user mode
    > to Administrator - to see more available options?
    >

    >>I would prefer to run DHCP, but will settle for static if thats all
    >>Mac's will reliably.
    >>

    > OS 9.2 runs DHCP just fine.
    >

    >>I have gone into control-panels --> tcp/ip and gone to admin mode, set
    >>dhcp and under options set active and un-ticked "load only when needed"
    >>

    > Yes, that setting can cause all sorts of bother ;-)
    >

    >>So when I reboot I usually get no link light, or IP address
    >>consistantly, mostly it stays off line. Sometimes when I set appletalk
    >>to start over tcp/ip in the control strip the link goes live and it
    >>works. Sometimes when I do the opposite...
    >>
    >>Sometimes when I set sharing to start over tcp/ip the link goes live and
    >>it works. Sometimes the opposite...
    >>
    >>:/
    >>
    >>Mostly it just refuses to start the ethernet network.
    >>

    > Maybe your network interface has some sort of problem. Have a look at
    > the port and make sure the connecting pins are bent or something..
    >

    >>I have set a manual IP address and sometimes this works and sometimes it
    >>does not (symptoms as above), so Im getting no consistancy.
    >>
    >>I have run hardware diagnostics and that passes, so my conclusion is at
    >>present reload the OS because its borked, unless anyone else can point
    >>me at fixing the ethernet problem?
    >>

    > Or perhaps your extensions in your System folder have got corrupt or
    > something. I'd try a reinstall of your system folder.
    >

    >>I have used 3 ethernet cables, all known good, tried different ports of
    >>the switch. I am pretty sure there is a bad/corrput networking setup
    >>somewhere.
    >>
    >>Is there a way in an Apple to "blank" things and restart as if it were a
    >>new bought Mac so I can set it up? but not lose the documents I have?
    >>

    > Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Hold the cmd-apple-p-r keys while
    > powering on the mac until you hear a second chime.

    didnt work,

    must be missing something,

    cntrol-[key with apple shape]-p and r all at same time?

    I know diddly about macs...

    :/

    Thing

    thing, May 23, 2004
  5. In article <ya_rc.3653$>,
    thing <> wrote:

    > Have a wee problem, just trying to setup a Mac G3 that has in the past
    > only had a dailup connection.
    >
    > I want it to run on the ethernet port using tcp/ip (via cable from now
    > on), but it will not consistantly. ie mostly (sometimes it does) it will
    > not. I do not seem able (mostly) to get the networking to start at boot,
    > the ethernet port seems to be held administratively down, is there a way
    > to force it up and to 100 duplex?

    Depends which model G3, the earlier ones had only 10M semiduplex

    > I would prefer to run DHCP, but will settle for static if thats all
    > Mac's will reliably.
    >
    > I have gone into control-panels --> tcp/ip and gone to admin mode, set
    > dhcp and under options set active and un-ticked "load only when needed"
    >
    > So when I reboot I usually get no link light, or IP address
    > consistantly, mostly it stays off line. Sometimes when I set appletalk
    > to start over tcp/ip in the control strip the link goes live and it
    > works. Sometimes when I do the opposite...

    AppleTalk will work over the ether port without any valid IP nr.
    Is your hardware address registered with a DHCP server?
    If not, or if there is any problem between you and the DHCP server,
    Macs typically will timeout and assign themselves an IP in the range
    169.254.x.x which probably won't work on your net...

    > I have run hardware diagnostics and that passes, so my conclusion is at
    > present reload the OS because its borked, unless anyone else can point
    > me at fixing the ethernet problem?
    >
    > I have used 3 ethernet cables, all known good, tried different ports of
    > the switch. I am pretty sure there is a bad/corrput networking setup
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Is there a way in an Apple to "blank" things and restart as if it were a
    > new bought Mac so I can set it up? but not lose the documents I have?
    >
    > Are there any files I can manually edit to blank? and reboot and set up?

    If you don't know your way around the Mac System Folder, Extensions,
    Preferences, then it may be easier ( & longer :-( to reinstall
    J.Random Luser, May 24, 2004
  6. In article <ya_rc.3653$>,
    thing <> wrote:

    >Have a wee problem, just trying to setup a Mac G3 that has in the past
    >only had a dailup connection.
    >
    >I want it to run on the ethernet port using tcp/ip (via cable from now
    >on), but it will not consistantly. ie mostly (sometimes it does) it will
    >not. I do not seem able (mostly) to get the networking to start at boot,
    >the ethernet port seems to be held administratively down, is there a way
    >to force it up and to 100 duplex?

    I have here a DiskCopy disk image from July 1999 called the "Ethernet
    Speed & Duplex Tool". It contains 4 system extensions and a Read Me
    file: it says to simply copy the appropriate system extension for the
    combination of 10/100 half/full-duplex that you want into your
    Extensions folder and reboot. The Read Me says it's for the iMac, B&W G3
    and the Bronze PowerBook.

    The image file is less than 200K, so I can e-mail it to you if it's of
    any help.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2004
  7. thing

    thing Guest

    that tool sounds neat, yes you can email me as above its a temp address
    to trap spam that I will wipe later, for now its valid.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, May 24, 2004
  8. In <bb6sc.3671$> thing wrote:
    > a wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried zapping the PRAM? Hold the cmd-apple-p-r keys while
    >> powering on the mac until you hear a second chime.

    > didnt work,
    >
    > must be missing something,
    >
    > cntrol-[key with apple shape]-p and r all at same time?
    >
    > I know diddly about macs...
    >
    >:/
    >
    > Thing

    It's option-command-P-R, where the command key has the cloverleaf/splat/
    interesting place icon and the Apple logo on it. PRAM is the parameter
    RAM, it's the same as the CMOS RAM on a PC.

    According to http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238
    "Macintosh: How to Reset PRAM and NVRAM", the following are stored in
    PRAM.

    Status of AppleTalk
    Serial Port Configuration and Port definition
    Alarm clock setting
    Application font
    Serial printer location
    Autokey rate
    Autokey delay
    Speaker volume
    Attention (beep) sound
    Double-click time
    Caret blink time (insertion point rate)
    Mouse scaling (mouse speed)
    Startup disk
    Menu blink count
    Monitor depth
    32-bit addressing
    Virtual memory
    RAM disk
    Disk cache

    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    "There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home"

    Ken Olson, President of DEC, World Future Society Convention, 1977
    Roger Johnstone, May 24, 2004
  9. thing

    thing Guest

    pins look OK

    > Or perhaps your extensions in your System folder have got corrupt or
    > something. I'd try a reinstall of your system folder.

    did that

    no joy

    > Find the appropiate OS 9.2 CD and boot off it. Duplicate your System
    > folder and then place the original in the trash. Reinstall your Mac OS.
    >
    > See what happens. You can always shift your old Preferences and third
    > party extensions back for any other apps/settings you have. This will
    > eliminate the System Software as a cause.

    no joy

    re-install?

    regards

    Thing
    thing, May 24, 2004
  10. In article <bthsc.3777$>,
    thing <> wrote:

    >> I have here a DiskCopy disk image from July 1999 called the "Ethernet
    >> Speed & Duplex Tool".

    >that tool sounds neat, yes you can email me as above...

    Couldn't get through. The response was

    ] 550 5.0.0 no spammers
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 25, 2004