    that points to the source mp3, but Media Player won't kick off unless I
    view the page with IE. FF just shows the contents of the m3u file. I
    want to use this to stream audio on a website.

    MD, Oct 11, 2004

  2. MD

    Ashmodai Guest

    MD scribbled something along the lines of:

    > Does anyone know how to get m3u to work with FF. I created a test.m3u
    > that points to the source mp3, but Media Player won't kick off unless I
    > view the page with IE. FF just shows the contents of the m3u file. I
    > want to use this to stream audio on a website.

    You need to set up your webserver so it sends the correct MIME type with
    m3u files. If Firefox only shows the file's contents the server is
    sending the default "text/plain" MIME type (or none at all), which means
    that the file should be treated as plain-text (MSIE does it wrong
    because it looks for file extensions rather than the actual MIME types).

    As far as I know there is no special MIME type for m3u files, so you
    should set its MIME type to "application/octet-stream" or
    "application/x-downloadable" (or even "application/x-music-list" if you
    want to be kinky").

    If your server is an Apache server, create a text file called
    ".htaccess" (not ending in ".txt"!) in the directory and put this inside
    of it:

    AddType application/octet-stream .m3u

    If the file already exists, open it and put that line at the very end of it.

    Remember: if MSIE seems to do something right and Firefox apparently
    acts wrong, chances are good that you are just expecting the wrong
    behavior. In this case Firefox is behaving correctly.

    --
    Ashmo

    Ashmodai, Oct 19, 2004