    guess how many updates it is downloading now?

    94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    security patches.

    Collector€NZ, Mar 3, 2008

  2. Collector€NZ wrote:
    > Dam, just installed a copy of OEM XP home, fresh out of the shrink wrap,
    > guess how many updates it is downloading now?
    >
    > 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    > security patches.

    And the bugger is maxing out my connection, oh well at least it will up
    to date when the user gets it

    Collector€NZ, Mar 3, 2008

  3. On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 18:48:48 +1300, Collector¤NZ <>
    wrote in <news:>:
    > Collector¤NZ wrote:
    >> Dam, just installed a copy of OEM XP home, fresh out of the shrink wrap,
    >> guess how many updates it is downloading now?
    >>
    >> 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    >> security patches.

    > And the bugger is maxing out my connection, oh well at least it will up
    > to date when the user gets it

    ......for, perhaps, a week.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Mar 3, 2008
  4. Collector€NZ

    impossible Guest

    "Collector€NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Collector€NZ wrote:
    >> Dam, just installed a copy of OEM XP home, fresh out of the shrink wrap,
    >> guess how many updates it is downloading now?
    >>
    >> 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    >> security patches.

    > And the bugger is maxing out my connection, oh well at least it will up to
    > date when the user gets it

    In future, you'd be better off downloading SP3 first and then slipstreaming
    that into the installation disk.

    impossible, Mar 3, 2008
  5. Collector€NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    Collector€NZ wrote:
    > Collector€NZ wrote:
    >> Dam, just installed a copy of OEM XP home, fresh out of the shrink
    >> wrap, guess how many updates it is downloading now?
    >>
    >> 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does
    >> issue security patches.

    > And the bugger is maxing out my connection, oh well at least it will up
    > to date when the user gets it

    If you haven't been compromised already....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Mar 3, 2008
  6. Collector€NZ

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Collector€NZ <> wrote in news:47cb9515$1
    @news.orcon.net.nz:

    > 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    > security patches.

    HAHA, after you get those, reboot and check again and then again.

    This is why I like some free stuff.

    1. Ryan's VM packs.
    2. IPCop and Advanced Proxy Update Accellerator
    3. Autopatcher.

    Ryan's is the most robust IMHO, but the new C'T thing is also suposed to be
    good.

    The demise of autopatcher was a real blow to support people IMHO.
    Why you would start with a source so unpatched.. Ahh never mind, you must
    have a reason.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 3, 2008
  7. In article <Xns9A56F111DA985daveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    did write:

    > The demise of autopatcher was a real blow to support people IMHO.

    Also a real blow against software piracy, and those who condone the
    practice.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2008
  8. In article <47cb9515$>, Collector€NZ did write:

    > Dam, just installed a copy of OEM XP home, fresh out of the shrink wrap,
    > guess how many updates it is downloading now?
    >
    > 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    > security patches.

    What happens when an earlier one is superseded by a later one? Does it still
    install the earlier one, followed by the later one?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2008
  9. In article <>, Collector€NZ did write:

    > And the bugger is maxing out my connection...

    How many times has it rebooted already?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 4, 2008
  10. Collector€NZ

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 4 Mar, 04:09, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > > 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    > > security patches.

    > What happens when an earlier one is superseded by a later one? Does it still
    > install the earlier one, followed by the later one?

    My understanding is that only Service Packs will supercede anything.
    The huge gap between SP2 and SP3 means a lot of patches are needed,
    some of which are probably redundant. That said, 94 seems a little
    low. I booted Ubuntu for the first time in about 6 months yesterday,
    and there were over 200 updates waiting (and that's after all the
    previous updates have been superceded).

    Jason Rumney, Mar 4, 2008
  11. Collector€NZ

    Mutley Guest

    Collector€NZ <> wrote:

    >Collector€NZ wrote:
    >> Dam, just installed a copy of OEM XP home, fresh out of the shrink wrap,
    >> guess how many updates it is downloading now?
    >>
    >> 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    >> security patches.

    >And the bugger is maxing out my connection, oh well at least it will up
    >to date when the user gets it

    You should have installed the RC of SP3 and you would only download
    about 5 or 6 updates..

    Mutley, Mar 5, 2008
  12. In article
    <>, Jason
    Rumney did write:

    > I booted Ubuntu for the first time in about 6 months yesterday,
    > and there were over 200 updates waiting (and that's after all the
    > previous updates have been superceded).

    At least it's easy enough to download them separately and save them
    somewhere to avoid having to download them again.

    This can be useful if you have more than one machine: maintain your own
    repository cache, and avoid having to fetch the updates twice over your
    Internet connection.

    This could also save time with one machine if you have to do a reinstall,
    but you're unlikely to need to do Linux reinstalls. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 5, 2008
  13. On Mar 5, 6:40 pm, Mutley <> wrote:
    > Collector EURO NZ <> wrote:
    > >Collector EURO NZ wrote:
    > >> Dam, just installed a copy of OEM XP home, fresh out of the shrink wrap,
    > >> guess how many updates it is downloading now?

    > >> 94 yep 94 mostly security patches. Indicates at least that M$ does issue
    > >> security patches.

    > >And the bugger is maxing out my connection, oh well at least it will up
    > >to date when the user gets it

    > You should have installed the RC of SP3 and you would only download
    > about 5 or 6 updates..

    XPSP3 final release is due this month

    Nathan Mercer, Mar 5, 2008
  14. Collector€NZ

    Mutlley Guest

    Nathan Mercer <> wrote:

    >On Mar 5, 6:40 pm, Mutley <> wrote:
    >> Collector EURO NZ <> wrote:

    >> >And the bugger is maxing out my connection, oh well at least it will up
    >> >to date when the user gets it

    >> You should have installed the RC of SP3 and you would only download
    >> about 5 or 6 updates..

    >XPSP3 final release is due this month

    Will this upgrade over the old RC or will i have to remove the RC
    before installing the final of SP3??

    Mutlley, Mar 5, 2008