M$ Software to Remove Spyware

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by texan.usenet@texas.removethisbit.com, Dec 18, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Excuse me if this has already been posted - Cath

    Microsoft Software to Remove Spyware by TED BRIDIS The Associated
    Press

    WASHINGTON (AP) - Microsoft Corp. disclosed plans Thursday to offer
    frustrated users of its Windows software new tools within 30 days to
    remove spyware programs secretly running on computers. But it might
    cost extra in coming months.

    In a shift from past practice, the world's largest software
    manufacturer said it may charge consumers for future versions of the
    new protective technology, which Microsoft acquired by buying a small
    New York software firm. Terms of the sale of Giant Company Software
    Inc. weren't disclosed.

    Spyware is a category of irritating programs that secretly monitor the
    online activities of Internet users and can cause sluggish computer
    performance or popup ads.

    Microsoft, whose Windows operating systems have often been criticized
    for lax security, traditionally has given consumers - at no charge -
    separate programs to improve security. It also has increasingly built
    other protective tools, such as firewall software, into Windows to
    repel hackers.

    The company's upcoming tool, available for its Windows XP and Windows
    2000 software, will sweep for spyware and offer to remove suspicious
    programs. It also will continuously protect a computer against new
    spyware threats, said Mike Nash, vice president of Microsoft's
    security business unit. Rival anti-spyware tools, such as Lavasoft
    Inc.'s popular "Ad-Aware'' product, offer similar functions and many
    are free.

    Microsoft's tool, expected to be available within 30 days, initially
    will be free but the company isn't ruling out charging for future
    versions. "We're going to be working through the issue of pricing and
    licensing,'' Nash said. "We'll come up with a plan and roll that
    out.''

    The security efforts, which cost hundreds of millions of dollars, are
    aimed at promoting consumer confidence in its flagship Windows
    products - which generated nearly $3 billion in revenues this year.
    They also help attract new customers worried about growing threats
    from viruses, hacker attacks, spam e-mails and spyware.

    "Because Microsoft has a near monopoly, they don't have anybody to
    compete against. Giving away free stuff is a side effect of being a
    monopoly, whether they like it or not,'' said Daniel E. Geer, a
    prominent security expert and one of the company's most vocal critics.

    Microsoft's disclosure that it may eventually charge extra for Windows
    protection reflects a recognition inside the company that it could
    collect significant profits by helping to protect its customers.

    Some experts blame Microsoft for Windows vulnerabilities that help
    spread spyware. Microsoft and some others, meanwhile, said blame
    should be directed instead at spyware manufacturers.

    "`Spyware usually gets on your computer through human error,'' said
    Marc Maiffret of eEye Digital Security Inc., which regularly discovers
    serious Windows flaws.

    Alan Paller, research director for the SANS Institute in Bethesda,
    Md., a computer-security organization, compared Microsoft's new
    anti-spyware tool to sophisticated products sold to help manage
    computer networks. ``It's not just a clean-up-our-mess tool,'' said
    Paller.

    On the Net:

    Microsoft Security: http://www.microsoft.com/security

    Cyber Security Alliance: http://www.staysafeonline.info

    Homeland Security tips: http://www.uscert.gov ###

    , Dec 18, 2004

  2. Peter Guest

    wrote:
    > WASHINGTON (AP) - Microsoft Corp. disclosed plans Thursday to offer
    > frustrated users of its Windows software new tools within 30 days to
    > remove spyware programs secretly running on computers. But it might
    > cost extra in coming months.

    why don't they just make a decent OS that isn't vulnerable to infection in
    the first place?

    Peter
    Peter, Dec 18, 2004

  3. Peter Guest

    Peter, Dec 18, 2004
  4. Max Burke Guest

    > Peter wrote:

    >> wrote:
    >> WASHINGTON (AP) - Microsoft Corp. disclosed plans Thursday to offer
    >> frustrated users of its Windows software new tools within 30 days to
    >> remove spyware programs secretly running on computers. But it might
    >> cost extra in coming months.

    > why don't they just make a decent OS that isn't vulnerable to
    > infection in the first place?

    Why dont ANY of the OS creators do that???????

    Real World OS choice for everyone:
    Five versions of Linux on bootable CD Roms that work [nearly] perfectly on
    my computers and I still choose Windows as my 'production' OS....

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Dec 18, 2004
  5. Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > why don't they just make a decent OS that isn't vulnerable to infection in
    > the first place?

    That would be an operating system where the end users have no choice of software
    that they run on it. Hardly something I would want to be using.

    Richard, Dec 19, 2004
  7. Richard Guest

    Richard, Dec 19, 2004
  8. Peter wrote:
    >>WASHINGTON (AP) - Microsoft Corp. disclosed plans Thursday to offer
    >>frustrated users of its Windows software new tools within 30 days to
    >>remove spyware programs secretly running on computers. But it might
    >>cost extra in coming months.

    > why don't they just make a decent OS that isn't vulnerable to infection in
    > the first place?

    assuming patches are applied, and common sense is applied to their use,
    then they(MS) have... they(MS) can't help is users are stupid.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 19, 2004

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 19, 2004
  10. Mark S Guest

    LOL, who on earth would trust Microsoft for their security.

    Get yourself Pestpatrol or something equally as good.

    ------

    Mark S, Dec 19, 2004
  11. Mark S Guest

    Mark S, Dec 19, 2004
  12. Mark S wrote:
    > LOL, who on earth would trust Microsoft for their security.
    >
    > Get yourself Pestpatrol or something equally as good.

    You don't trust Microsoft, but you do trust Computer Associates?
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 19, 2004
  13. Hi there,

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:

    >>> wrote:
    >>> WASHINGTON (AP) - Microsoft Corp. disclosed plans Thursday to offer
    >>> frustrated users of its Windows software new tools within 30 days to
    >>> remove spyware programs secretly running on computers. But it might
    >>> cost extra in coming months.

    >> why don't they just make a decent OS that isn't vulnerable to
    >> infection in the first place?

    > Why dont ANY of the OS creators do that???????
    >
    > Real World OS choice for everyone:
    > Five versions of Linux on bootable CD Roms that work [nearly] perfectly
    > on my computers and I still choose Windows as my 'production' OS....

    Good onya Max. My first 6 months with Mandrake 9.0 were without firewall
    or *any* security measures installed, and an average of 2 hours daily on
    the net. Once I realised that this wee thing called a 'firewall' could
    protect my computer I installed it forthwith, then downloaded a virus
    scanning software for linux...scan result?...clean as a clean thing...

    I'd still like someone with WinXP to take up that challenge today...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Registered Linux user #364954
    Registered Linux PC #272788
    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 20, 2004
  14. Hi there,

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 20, 2004
  15. Max Burke Guest

    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >> Real World OS choice for everyone:
    >> Five versions of Linux on bootable CD Roms that work [nearly]
    >> perfectly on my computers and I still choose Windows as my
    >> 'production' OS....

    > Good onya Max. My first 6 months with Mandrake 9.0 were without
    > firewall or *any* security measures installed, and an average of 2
    > hours daily on the net. Once I realised that this wee thing called a
    > 'firewall' could protect my computer I installed it forthwith, then
    > downloaded a virus scanning software for linux...scan result?...clean
    > as a clean thing... I'd still like someone with WinXP to take up that
    > challenge today...

    That 'challenge' is met every day by most users of Windows XP, W2K, and
    Win9x, including myself.
    In fact my daily virus scan is running as I type this, behind XP SP2's
    firewall......
    This has been how I have run my computers with Windows 9xx, and XP since
    1995, and I have never had a virus or trojan on any of my computers....

    And best of all I dont need to dig into configuration files, command lines,
    and/or ip tables to make it all work.... All it took were a few mouse
    clicks, which is all that most users of Windows need to do.

    Any other challenges you want me to try? ;-)

    Found Images
    Max Burke, Dec 20, 2004
  16. Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Dec 20, 2004
  17. Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    >>> why don't they just make a decent OS that isn't vulnerable to
    >>> infection in the first place?

    >> Why dont ANY of the OS creators do that???????
    >>
    >> Real World OS choice for everyone:
    >> Five versions of Linux on bootable CD Roms that work [nearly]
    >> perfectly on my computers and I still choose Windows as my
    >> 'production' OS....

    > Good onya Max. My first 6 months with Mandrake 9.0 were without firewall
    > or *any* security measures installed, and an average of 2 hours daily on
    > the net. Once I realised that this wee thing called a 'firewall' could
    > protect my computer I installed it forthwith, then downloaded a virus
    > scanning software for linux...scan result?...clean as a clean thing...
    >
    > I'd still like someone with WinXP to take up that challenge today...

    I will...

    Since you're using a recent version of Mandrake I'll do likewise for
    Windows XP and use XPSP2 though.

    I get the point you're making, but fact it's not just a simple matter of
    writing a "decent OS that isn't vulnerable to infection in the first
    place" If you keep running your Mandrake 9, never update it, eventually
    you'll get 0wned. We can make your Windows secure, you can make your
    Linux secure..

    Nathan
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 20, 2004

    Nathan Mercer, Dec 20, 2004
  19. Chris Hope Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    >>> Why dont ANY of the OS creators do that???????
    >>>
    >>> Real World OS choice for everyone:
    >>> Five versions of Linux on bootable CD Roms that work [nearly]
    >>> perfectly on my computers and I still choose Windows as my
    >>> 'production' OS....

    >> Good onya Max. My first 6 months with Mandrake 9.0 were without
    >> firewall or *any* security measures installed, and an average of 2
    >> hours daily on the net. Once I realised that this wee thing called a
    >> 'firewall' could protect my computer I installed it forthwith, then
    >> downloaded a virus scanning software for linux...scan result?...clean
    >> as a clean thing...
    >>
    >> I'd still like someone with WinXP to take up that challenge today...

    > I will...
    >
    > Since you're using a recent version of Mandrake I'll do likewise for
    > Windows XP and use XPSP2 though.

    Mandrake 9.0 is really old - it was released in March 2002. However that
    makes comparing it with the first release of XP a fair comparison.
    You'd be wanting to compare SP2 with 10.1 which was released in
    September this year.

    > I get the point you're making, but fact it's not just a simple matter
    > of
    > writing a "decent OS that isn't vulnerable to infection in the first
    > place" If you keep running your Mandrake 9, never update it,
    > eventually
    > you'll get 0wned. We can make your Windows secure, you can make your
    > Linux secure..

    I agree with that. I have an XP box and ran anti virus / spyware etc
    software on it after having it for about a year of so and didn't have
    anything nasty installed. It all depends on the user. (Note I did have
    a firewall on it though, and also another firewall on the router it
    used to connect to the internet).

    Chris Hope, Dec 20, 2004
  20. Chris Hope Guest

    Chris Hope, Dec 20, 2004