M$N filters web searches

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Kneewax, Nov 3, 2004.

  1. Kneewax

    Kneewax Guest

    Finding my self unexpectadly at www.msn.co.uk I thought I'd try a few
    open source related searches and compare the results on other serch
    engines. I chose three keywords: Firefox, Thunderbird and Openoffice I
    searched independantly on each word, not once did MSN respond with the
    homepage of the Open Source projects in the top five, in most cases
    there was hardly a reference to the product on the first page of
    results. By comparison Google, Yahoo and Altavista brought the home
    pages of these products up as first result EVERYTIME. Interesting...

    ...I am not surprised of course, but it would have been nice to have had
    my suspisions proved wrong!

    History is an illusion caused by the passage of time.
    Time is an illusion caused by the passage of History
    - Wave Harmonic Theory of
    Historical Perception (DNA)

    Make my 'cold' a 'hot' to mail me!
    Kneewax, Nov 3, 2004

  2. On 2004-11-03, Kneewax <> wrote:

    > Finding my self unexpectadly at www.msn.co.uk I thought I'd try a few
    > open source related searches and compare the results on other serch
    > engines. I chose three keywords: Firefox, Thunderbird and Openoffice I
    > searched independantly on each word, not once did MSN respond with the
    > homepage of the Open Source projects in the top five, in most cases
    > there was hardly a reference to the product on the first page of
    > results. By comparison Google, Yahoo and Altavista brought the home
    > pages of these products up as first result EVERYTIME. Interesting...
    >
    > ..I am not surprised of course, but it would have been nice to have had
    > my suspisions proved wrong!

    Must be an MSN.uk thing. I just tried it here (NA) and got the home pages
    of each project as the first listed. And this was using FireFox on linux!

    --

    -John ()
    John Thompson, Nov 4, 2004