M$ at it again..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Greg House, Oct 26, 2007.

  1. Greg House

    Greg House Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. Greg House

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Doing updates that you do not want or asked for.
    >

    > Microsoft update brings PCs to a standstill
    >
    > http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/10/25/microsoft-update-brings-pcs-to-a-standstill
    >

    > http://www.davidarno.org/2007/10/24/microsoft-update-strikes-again/
    >

    > http://dblume.livejournal.com/78836.html

    Seems more like a load of bollocks. Windows Desktop Search 3.01 is NOT
    installed automatically - even via WSUS V3 (which I run at a number of
    sites).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 26, 2007

  3. Greg House

    Dave Doe Guest

    Windows Desktop Search, was Re: M$ at it again..

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Doing updates that you do not want or asked for.
    >

    > Microsoft update brings PCs to a standstill
    >
    > http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/10/25/microsoft-update-brings-pcs-to-a-standstill

    This talks about the Windows Desktop Search tool - which is both (IMO)
    excellent, and also an absolute waste of time...

    It's indexing, for stuff like Outlook, is excellent.

    Unfortunatly, you can't remove "My Documents" from it's setup. If you
    do, it just gets put back in automagically. This makes it TOTALLY
    USELESS on a network where say document redirection is enforced (say
    through group policy).

    Consequently, it's a useless product.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 26, 2007
  4. Greg House

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Greg House" <> wrote in message

    > Doing updates that you do not want or asked for.
    >

    > Microsoft update brings PCs to a standstill

    You don't have to do the updates.
    Also you can choose which updates you want as well.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Oct 26, 2007
  5. Re: M$ at it again..

    In message <1193381465.755378@ftpsrv1>, *sling wrote:

    > "Greg House" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Doing updates that you do not want or asked for.
    >>
    >> Microsoft update brings PCs to a standstill

    > You don't have to do the updates.
    > Also you can choose which updates you want as well.

    Microsoft admits it was mistakenly updating machines, after initially trying
    to deny it
    <http://computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9044239&intsrc=hm_list>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 28, 2007
  6. Greg House

    geoff Guest

    geoff, Oct 28, 2007
  7. Greg House

    geoff Guest

    Re: Windows Desktop Search, was Re: M$ at it again..

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>

    >> Doing updates that you do not want or asked for.
    >>

    >> Microsoft update brings PCs to a standstill
    >>
    >> http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/10/25/microsoft-update-brings-pcs-to-a-standstill

    > This talks about the Windows Desktop Search tool - which is both (IMO)
    > excellent, and also an absolute waste of time...
    >
    > It's indexing, for stuff like Outlook, is excellent.
    >
    > Unfortunatly, you can't remove "My Documents" from it's setup. If you
    > do, it just gets put back in automagically. This makes it TOTALLY
    > USELESS on a network where say document redirection is enforced (say
    > through group policy).
    >
    > Consequently, it's a useless product.

    If you are on a network with remote My Docs, yes. Otherwise no.

    geoff

    geoff, Oct 28, 2007
  8. Greg House

    geoff wrote:
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >>>

    >>> Doing updates that you do not want or asked for.
    >>>

    >>> Microsoft update brings PCs to a standstill
    >>>
    >>> http://www.neowin.net/news/main/07/10/25/microsoft-update-brings-pcs-to-a-standstill

    >> This talks about the Windows Desktop Search tool - which is both
    >> (IMO) excellent, and also an absolute waste of time...
    >>
    >> It's indexing, for stuff like Outlook, is excellent.
    >>
    >> Unfortunatly, you can't remove "My Documents" from it's setup. If
    >> you do, it just gets put back in automagically. This makes it
    >> TOTALLY USELESS on a network where say document redirection is
    >> enforced (say through group policy).
    >>
    >> Consequently, it's a useless product.

    > If you are on a network with remote My Docs, yes. Otherwise no.

    And having just installed it, I can see that newtork locations can be (and
    must be) explicitly specified. Maybe the premature ejaculation of the app
    didn't have that, or they were all enabled, or something.

    Or just maybe USERS in the couple of work places that complained ticked the
    boxes that specified network drives, which is *their* fault.

    geoff

    geoff, Oct 29, 2007
  9. Greg House

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Windows Desktop Search, was Re: M$ at it again..

    In article <>,
    says...
    > geoff wrote:
    > > Dave Doe wrote:
    > >> In article <>,
    > >> says...

    > >> This talks about the Windows Desktop Search tool - which is both
    > >> (IMO) excellent, and also an absolute waste of time...
    > >>
    > >> It's indexing, for stuff like Outlook, is excellent.
    > >>
    > >> Unfortunatly, you can't remove "My Documents" from it's setup. If
    > >> you do, it just gets put back in automagically. This makes it
    > >> TOTALLY USELESS on a network where say document redirection is
    > >> enforced (say through group policy).
    > >>
    > >> Consequently, it's a useless product.

    > > If you are on a network with remote My Docs, yes. Otherwise no.

    > And having just installed it, I can see that newtork locations can be (and
    > must be) explicitly specified. Maybe the premature ejaculation of the app
    > didn't have that, or they were all enabled, or something.
    >
    > Or just maybe USERS in the couple of work places that complained ticked the
    > boxes that specified network drives, which is *their* fault.

    No like I said, "My Documents" is a default (you remove it, it puts it
    back). This makes it a useless product on a network with My Documents
    redirection (say by group policy) in place.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 30, 2007
  10. Greg House

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > No like I said, "My Documents" is a default (you remove it, it puts it
    > back). This makes it a useless product on a network with My Documents
    > redirection (say by group policy) in place.

    So what's the harm in leaving "My Documents', and then adding the netowrk
    locations. All that's going to do is search an empty folder as well as the
    use one.

    geoff

    geoff, Oct 30, 2007
  11. Re: Windows Desktop Search, was Re: M$ at it again..

    In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    >> No like I said, "My Documents" is a default (you remove it, it puts it
    >> back). This makes it a useless product on a network with My Documents
    >> redirection (say by group policy) in place.

    >So what's the harm in leaving "My Documents', and then adding the netowrk
    >locations. All that's going to do is search an empty folder as well as the
    >use one.

    True. It is, however, bloody annoying. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 31, 2007
  12. Greg House

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Windows Desktop Search, was Re: M$ at it again..

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > No like I said, "My Documents" is a default (you remove it, it puts it
    > > back). This makes it a useless product on a network with My Documents
    > > redirection (say by group policy) in place.

    > So what's the harm in leaving "My Documents', and then adding the netowrk
    > locations. All that's going to do is search an empty folder as well as the
    > use one.

    I don't get yer. I don't want any network folders to be searched. On a
    domain with My Docs redirected, that means the network gets hammered to
    oblivion.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 31, 2007
  13. Greg House

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >> Dave Doe wrote:
    >>
    >>> No like I said, "My Documents" is a default (you remove it, it puts
    >>> it back). This makes it a useless product on a network with My
    >>> Documents redirection (say by group policy) in place.

    >> So what's the harm in leaving "My Documents', and then adding the
    >> netowrk locations. All that's going to do is search an empty folder
    >> as well as the use one.

    > I don't get yer. I don't want any network folders to be searched.
    > On a domain with My Docs redirected, that means the network gets
    > hammered to oblivion.

    Clearly it's no appropritae in that scenarion then, so de-install it. Yes,
    it wa a bit of a cock-up that some got it installed by default, but that
    seems to have been very limited.

    geoff

    geoff, Oct 31, 2007
  14. Greg House

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Windows Desktop Search, was Re: M$ at it again..

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >> So what's the harm in leaving "My Documents', and then adding the
    > >> netowrk locations. All that's going to do is search an empty folder
    > >> as well as the use one.

    > > I don't get yer. I don't want any network folders to be searched.
    > > On a domain with My Docs redirected, that means the network gets
    > > hammered to oblivion.

    > Clearly it's no appropritae in that scenarion then, so de-install it. Yes,
    > it wa a bit of a cock-up that some got it installed by default, but that
    > seems to have been very limited.

    What I want, is it to be installed so that users can search their
    Outlook email, contacts, tasks, calendar, etc; in 1 or 2 seconds.
    Instead of half an hour (for some users with lots of emails). The
    Windows Desktop Search tool does that wonderfully, but it *defaults* to
    including My Documents in it's indexing. So it's useless. So I want
    Microsoft to provide the ability to remove My Documents from it's
    indexing.

    There is actually a work-around - use the original product (that
    Microsoft bought and turned into the Windows Desktop Search tool) -
    called Lookout.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Oct 31, 2007
  15. Greg House

    Dave Doe wrote:
    > What I want, is it to be installed so that users can search their
    > Outlook email, contacts, tasks, calendar, etc; in 1 or 2 seconds.
    > Instead of half an hour (for some users with lots of emails). The
    > Windows Desktop Search tool does that wonderfully, but it *defaults*
    > to including My Documents in it's indexing. So it's useless. So I
    > want Microsoft to provide the ability to remove My Documents from it's
    > indexing.
    >
    > There is actually a work-around - use the original product (that
    > Microsoft bought and turned into the Windows Desktop Search tool) -
    > called Lookout.

    Dunno if Google Desktop can do what you want ...

    geoff

    geoff, Nov 1, 2007
  16. Greg House

    Dave Doe Guest

    Re: Windows Desktop Search, was Re: M$ at it again..

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dave Doe wrote:
    > > What I want, is it to be installed so that users can search their
    > > Outlook email, contacts, tasks, calendar, etc; in 1 or 2 seconds.
    > > Instead of half an hour (for some users with lots of emails). The
    > > Windows Desktop Search tool does that wonderfully, but it *defaults*
    > > to including My Documents in it's indexing. So it's useless. So I
    > > want Microsoft to provide the ability to remove My Documents from it's
    > > indexing.
    > >
    > > There is actually a work-around - use the original product (that
    > > Microsoft bought and turned into the Windows Desktop Search tool) -
    > > called Lookout.

    > Dunno if Google Desktop can do what you want ...

    That's a good point - but I don't wanna be the one to test it and find
    out. :)

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Nov 1, 2007