Lytro

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Mar 10, 2012.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    They just emailed me
    I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. philo

    Bruce Guest

    philo <> wrote:
    >They just emailed me
    >I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!



    Great news. It will be interesting to see if you can find a practical
    use for it, when no-one else has managed to so far.

    Other than as a toy, I mean.
     
    Bruce, Mar 10, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 03:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > philo<> wrote:
    >> They just emailed me
    >> I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!

    >
    >
    > Great news. It will be interesting to see if you can find a practical
    > use for it, when no-one else has managed to so far.
    >
    > Other than as a toy, I mean.
    >




    I am an expert on making due with little.


    It's my understanding that the Lytro is not good for doing prints any
    larger than 7" x 7" .

    I won't know until I get it of course.

    Though I am used to exhibiting 11" x 16" (and larger) prints in
    galleries...I have recently published my first photography book.

    Since the book has proven to be as popular (or perhaps more so) than my
    gallery exhibits, it's my hope that the Lytro will be able to produce at
    least "book sized" prints.


    Since the photos in my book are approx 4" x 6"
    I think the Lytro may actually be acceptable.
    If not, then I've just wasted $400

    Since I am generally overly frugal with my money...
    my $400 gamble is a small one.


    The last two pair of pants I purchased was at Good Will and I spent a
    total of $5
    The door on my old refrigerator does not close properly and my wife
    insisted we get a new one...but what the heck...I taped a magnet to the
    top of the refrigerator and now the door closes fine (though there is a
    loud "snap" as the magnet pulls is shut)


    Between buying used clothing and fixing the refrigerator for nothing...
    I've easily save the $400 for the camera.


    Not only that, since for the first time in my life I've been at the head
    of the line to buy something new, I think my shots with a Lytro will
    garner a lot of interest.


    Now, my project:

    At least once a year my wife and I go to Manhattan...to have fun of
    course...but also to do some serious photography. I like to walk down
    the streets and get random and candid shots of people.

    Even with my good, auto-focus camera, the shots happen so fast
    most of them end up focusing on something other than what I was trying
    for. With the Lytro at least I should have the ability to focus "after
    the fact" and expect to get a better number of decent shots.

    Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #3
  4. philo

    Bruce Guest

    philo <> wrote:
    >Now, my project:
    >At least once a year my wife and I go to Manhattan...to have fun of
    >course...but also to do some serious photography. I like to walk down
    >the streets and get random and candid shots of people.
    >
    >Even with my good, auto-focus camera, the shots happen so fast
    >most of them end up focusing on something other than what I was trying
    >for. With the Lytro at least I should have the ability to focus "after
    >the fact" and expect to get a better number of decent shots.



    Perhaps you are using the wrong technique?

    In street photography, auto focus often works against you by focusing
    perfectly, but at the wrong distance. Instead, try using the camera
    in manual focus mode, pre-focus on your chosen distance and shoot
    away. If you have enough light and/or ISO, set your lens to the
    hyperfocal distance for your chosen aperture and shoot away to your
    heart's content.

    There is no need to cripple your photography with a plastic toy camera
    of extremely limited abilities when the intelligent application of
    established technique with conventional equipment will bring home the
    shots you want together with much higher image quality.


    >Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.



    It's pretty obvious - to anyone who has taken the effort to read the
    publicity *and* investigate how the Lytro works - just how little the
    Lytro can do and how limited its abilities are. I suppose it would be
    mildly interesting to see if any practical application can be found
    for something that is so severely limited in terms of its performance.

    Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
    few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.
     
    Bruce, Mar 10, 2012
    #4
  5. philo

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
    > few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.


    maybe, but so have other digicams.

    lytro is only just beginning. the technology behind it will improve and
    at some point, it will be common. anyone who can't see that is blind.
     
    nospam, Mar 10, 2012
    #5
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 08:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > philo<> wrote:
    >> Now, my project:
    >> A
    >> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.

    >
    >
    > It's pretty obvious - to anyone who has taken the effort to read the
    > publicity *and* investigate how the Lytro works - just how little the
    > Lytro can do and how limited its abilities are. I suppose it would be
    > mildly interesting to see if any practical application can be found
    > for something that is so severely limited in terms of its performance.
    >
    > Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
    > few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.
    >

    Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge

    I prefer to find out for myself

    It's my money and no sweat off of anyone else's hide
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #6
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 08:40 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article<>, Bruce
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
    >> few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.

    >
    > maybe, but so have other digicams.
    >
    > lytro is only just beginning. the technology behind it will improve and
    > at some point, it will be common. anyone who can't see that is blind.




    The first digital camera I owned was a 1 Mp
    and by today's standards would be considered a toy...
    however at the time it was pretty darn good.

    I bought it mainly to do my web page and a 1 MP
    was sufficient...as a matter of fact I got surprisingly good 8 x 10
    prints and even larger.

    I am sure, that no matter how limited the Lytro is
    I can make the most of it. When shooting street scenes the action
    happens way too fast for me to possibly get my DSLR setup right for the
    conditions.

    Additionally, when shooting at close range using a DSLR makes me all too
    obvious. The Lytro is small enough (and as of yet unknown enough)
    to allow for truly candid shooting.


    Sure, in a few years, light field cameras will be ten times better and
    at half the cost...but I am going to NY in May of this year
    and can't wait to put it to the test


    (Of course I will still be using my DSLR)
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #7
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 08:44 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-09 19:56 , philo wrote:
    >> They just emailed me
    >> I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!

    >
    > I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.
    >



    So do I
    and no one else here will have to spend a cent to find out!
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #8
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 09:53 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-10 10:34 , philo wrote:
    >> On 03/10/2012 08:44 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> On 2012-03-09 19:56 , philo wrote:
    >>>> They just emailed me
    >>>> I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!
    >>>
    >>> I look forward to seeing what you can do with it.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> So do I
    >> and no one else here will have to spend a cent to find out!

    >
    > ... you broke the code!
    >



    I figured that it's now my turn to be the Guinea pig
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #9
  10. philo

    mianileng Guest

    philo wrote:
    >
    > The last two pair of pants I purchased was at Good Will and I
    > spent a
    > total of $5
    > The door on my old refrigerator does not close properly and my
    > wife
    > insisted we get a new one...but what the heck...I taped a
    > magnet to
    > the top of the refrigerator and now the door closes fine
    > (though
    > there is a loud "snap" as the magnet pulls is shut)
    >

    You could put a layer or two of electrical tape or somehing
    similar over the magnet poles to cushion the snap. :)
     
    mianileng, Mar 10, 2012
    #10
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 10:50 AM, mianileng wrote:
    > philo wrote:
    >>
    >> The last two pair of pants I purchased was at Good Will and I
    >> spent a
    >> total of $5
    >> The door on my old refrigerator does not close properly and my
    >> wife
    >> insisted we get a new one...but what the heck...I taped a
    >> magnet to
    >> the top of the refrigerator and now the door closes fine
    >> (though
    >> there is a loud "snap" as the magnet pulls is shut)
    >>

    > You could put a layer or two of electrical tape or somehing
    > similar over the magnet poles to cushion the snap. :)
    >
    >




    Hey , it works the way it is
    but eventually my wife will make me get a new one.

    OTOH: She did not like my electric range either
    so I told her should could go out any buy any kind she wanted to]
    using her own money...
    I'll be darned, she did!
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #11
  12. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 11:02 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-10 08:48 , philo wrote:
    >> On 03/10/2012 03:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >>> philo<> wrote:
    >>>> They just emailed me
    >>>> I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Great news. It will be interesting to see if you can find a practical
    >>> use for it, when no-one else has managed to so far.
    >>>
    >>> Other than as a toy, I mean.
    >>>

    >>
    >>



    <snip>
    >
    >>
    >> Since I am generally overly frugal with my money...
    >> my $400 gamble is a small one.

    >
    > That phrase a certain degree of contradiction in it.



    That's for sure. I never have gone to a casino to gamble
    but I gamble a lot in the stock market and some years have lost plenty.

    Now that I have a tougher stomach and don't panic at the first sign of
    lower prices I have been doing a lot better...
    but still I realize it's gambling
    >
    >>

    <snip>

    good, auto-focus camera, the shots happen so fast
    >> most of them end up focusing on something other than what I was trying
    >> for. With the Lytro at least I should have the ability to focus "after
    >> the fact" and expect to get a better number of decent shots.

    >
    > Either focus/re-compose or pre-focus manually. It can be done quickly,
    > but people are quicker at seeing the camera come up and turning away.
    >
    > From what I've read of the Lytro, there is some setup involved in
    > defining the "range of in focus depth" or some such. So you may need to
    > experiment with that and see what ranges are appropriate to the
    > photography you'll be trying.
    >
    >> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really
    >> do.

    >
    > I look forward to it.
    >



    Oh one more thing...
    the software works only on a Mac
    and I don't have one new enough to support the camera...
    one more problem. I may have to ask a friend with a Mac if they want to
    help me.
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #12
  13. philo

    Bruce Guest

    philo <> wrote:
    >On 03/10/2012 08:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >> philo<> wrote:
    >>> Now, my project:
    >>> A
    >>> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >>> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.

    >>
    >>
    >> It's pretty obvious - to anyone who has taken the effort to read the
    >> publicity *and* investigate how the Lytro works - just how little the
    >> Lytro can do and how limited its abilities are. I suppose it would be
    >> mildly interesting to see if any practical application can be found
    >> for something that is so severely limited in terms of its performance.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
    >> few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.
    >>

    >Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge



    What is hard to judge is whether there exists in the world a question
    or problem to which the answer or solution is Lytro.


    >I prefer to find out for myself



    Thankfully, there are people with more money than sense who also seem
    to have the time to carry out pointless tests on useless plastic toys.
    Maybe you will find a useful application for Lytro, one that will make
    you rich. Who knows? You might be able to afford a new door for that
    fridge of yours.
     
    Bruce, Mar 10, 2012
    #13
  14. On 3/10/2012 12:56 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-10 12:38 , philo wrote:
    >> On 03/10/2012 11:02 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> On 2012-03-10 08:48 , philo wrote:
    >>>> On 03/10/2012 03:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >>>>> philo<> wrote:
    >>>>>> They just emailed me
    >>>>>> I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Great news. It will be interesting to see if you can find a practical
    >>>>> use for it, when no-one else has managed to so far.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Other than as a toy, I mean.
    >>>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>

    >>
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Since I am generally overly frugal with my money...
    >>>> my $400 gamble is a small one.
    >>>
    >>> That phrase a certain degree of contradiction in it.

    >>
    >>
    >> That's for sure. I never have gone to a casino to gamble
    >> but I gamble a lot in the stock market and some years have lost plenty.
    >>
    >> Now that I have a tougher stomach and don't panic at the first sign of
    >> lower prices I have been doing a lot better...
    >> but still I realize it's gambling

    >
    > It should not be. Balance your portfolio right and it works in the long
    > term. Over many decades, though, the return is about 7%. People who
    > expect more are not being realistic. "Amateur" investors (me, you) don't
    > stand much of a chance trading specific stocks. (Some are of course
    > successful, but on average ...).
    >
    > (Note I do recall a "timing" article in The Economist or NYT that
    > indicated a significant difference in average long term returns
    > depending on whether you started at the beginning of a boom or a bust).
    >
    > The last few years have been a wasteland of course.
    >
    > Back in 2008 somebody bragged to me about their Apple stock.
    >
    > Of course I didn't listen...
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> good, auto-focus camera, the shots happen so fast
    >>>> most of them end up focusing on something other than what I was trying
    >>>> for. With the Lytro at least I should have the ability to focus "after
    >>>> the fact" and expect to get a better number of decent shots.
    >>>
    >>> Either focus/re-compose or pre-focus manually. It can be done quickly,
    >>> but people are quicker at seeing the camera come up and turning away.
    >>>
    >>> From what I've read of the Lytro, there is some setup involved in
    >>> defining the "range of in focus depth" or some such. So you may need to
    >>> experiment with that and see what ranges are appropriate to the
    >>> photography you'll be trying.
    >>>
    >>>> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >>>> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really
    >>>> do.
    >>>
    >>> I look forward to it.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Oh one more thing...
    >> the software works only on a Mac

    >
    > I was going to mention that... you could maybe buy a used Mac Mini via
    > Craigslist for that and re-sell it later. They hold value pretty well.
    > Use your existing keyboard, mouse, display.
    >
    > (Lytro were a bit numbnutted in going Mac first).
    >
    >> and I don't have one new enough to support the camera...
    >> one more problem. I may have to ask a friend with a Mac if they want to
    >> help me.

    >
    > Come on up!
    >

    I have not bought a Lytro since I don't want to be forced to buy a Mac
    but the blog page is interesting:

    http://tinyurl.com/5u9x984

    It's rather a long URL but you can also do a Google search on
    blog.lytro.com if you don't like TinyUrls.

    --
    Jim Silverton

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
     
    James Silverton, Mar 10, 2012
    #14
  15. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 11:56 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-10 12:38 , philo wrote:
    >> Onill I realize it's gambling



    <snip>
    >
    > It should not be. Balance your portfolio right and it works in the long
    > term. Over many decades, though, the return is about 7%. People who
    > expect more are not being realistic. "Amateur" investors (me, you) don't
    > stand much of a chance trading specific stocks. (Some are of course
    > successful, but on average ...).
    >
    > (Note I do recall a "timing" article in The Economist or NYT that
    > indicated a significant difference in average long term returns
    > depending on whether you started at the beginning of a boom or a bust).
    >
    > The last few years have been a wasteland of course.
    >
    > Back in 2008 somebody bragged to me about their Apple stock.
    >
    > Of course I didn't listen...



    I have been pretty good at picking winners
    but Apple in 2008 was not one I went for.

    I knew I should have invested in Google but did not buy any
    as I could not purchase it through my brokerage account
    and was too lazy (and really stupid) to no do it their way.
    >
    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> good, auto-focus camera, the shots happen so fast
    >>>> most of them end up focusing on something other than what I was trying
    >>>> for. With the Lytro at least I should have the ability to focus "after
    >>>> the fact" and expect to get a better number of decent shots.
    >>>
    >>> Either focus/re-compose or pre-focus manually. It can be done quickly,
    >>> but people are quicker at seeing the camera come up and turning away.
    >>>
    >>> From what I've read of the Lytro, there is some setup involved in
    >>> defining the "range of in focus depth" or some such. So you may need to
    >>> experiment with that and see what ranges are appropriate to the
    >>> photography you'll be trying.
    >>>
    >>>> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >>>> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really
    >>>> do.
    >>>
    >>> I look forward to it.
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >> Oh one more thing...
    >> the software works only on a Mac

    >
    > I was going to mention that... you could maybe buy a used Mac Mini via
    > Craigslist for that and re-sell it later. They hold value pretty well.
    > Use your existing keyboard, mouse, display.
    >
    > (Lytro were a bit numbnutted in going Mac first).


    Yes but I will come up with one , one way or the other.

    >
    >> and I don't have one new enough to support the camera...
    >> one more problem. I may have to ask a friend with a Mac if they want to
    >> help me.

    >
    > Come on up!
    >
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #15
  16. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 12:21 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 3/10/2012 12:56 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >> On 2012-03-10 12:38 , philo wrote:
    >>> On 03/10/2012 11:02 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>> On 2012-03-10 08:48 , philo wrote:
    >>>>> On 03/10/2012 03:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >>>>>> philo<> wrote:
    >>>>>>> They just emailed me
    >>>>>>> I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> Great news. It will be interesting to see if you can find a practical
    >>>>>> use for it, when no-one else has managed to so far.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> OtheX
    >>>
    >>>


    <snip>
    >>> Oh one more thing...
    >>> the software works only on a Mac

    >>
    >> I was going to mention that... you could maybe buy a used Mac Mini via
    >> Craigslist for that and re-sell it later. They hold value pretty well.
    >> Use your existing keyboard, mouse, display.
    >>
    >> (Lytro were a bit numbnutted in going Mac first).
    >>
    >>> and I don't have one new enough to support the camera...
    >>> one more problem. I may have to ask a friend with a Mac if they want to
    >>> help me.

    >>
    >> Come on up!
    >>

    > I have not bought a Lytro since I don't want to be forced to buy a Mac


    I have never purchased a 'ready made' computer...I build my own.
    I have no problem getting a Mac but psychologically I cannot bring
    myself to buy one.

    I did manage to build a "Hackintosh" myself , however the latest OS I
    can get to run on it is OSX 10.4 and the Lytro specs call for OSX 10.6.6


    I am going to see if I can get the software to work on my machine before
    I look for other options.

    The next step would be for me to get one of my friends who has a new mac
    let me try out the software on their machine.

    If I like the results I guess I could then justify getting a Mac...
    the newest machine I own is over 5 years old


    > but the blog page is interesting:
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/5u9x984
    >
    > It's rather a long URL but you can also do a Google search on
    > blog.lytro.com if you don't like TinyUrls.
    >
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #16
  17. philo

    philo Guest

    On 03/10/2012 11:40 AM, Bruce wrote:
    > philo<> wrote:
    >> On 03/10/2012 08:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >>> philo<> wrote:
    >>>> Now, my project:
    >>>> A
    >>>> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >>>> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> It's pretty obvious - to anyone who has taken the effort to read the
    >>> publicity *and* investigate how the Lytro works - just how little the
    >>> Lytro can do and how limited its abilities are. I suppose it would be
    >>> mildly interesting to see if any practical application can be found
    >>> for something that is so severely limited in terms of its performance.
    >>>
    >>> Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
    >>> few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.
    >>>

    >> Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge

    >
    >
    > What is hard to judge is whether there exists in the world a question
    > or problem to which the answer or solution is Lytro.
    >
    >
    >> I prefer to find out for myself

    >
    >
    > Thankfully, there are people with more money than sense who also seem
    > to have the time to carry out pointless tests on useless plastic toys.
    > Maybe you will find a useful application for Lytro, one that will make
    > you rich. Who knows? You might be able to afford a new door for that
    > fridge of yours.
    >
    >




    Naw

    when I get around to it I will get a whole new refrigerator

    my wife will let me know when it's time!
     
    philo, Mar 10, 2012
    #17
  18. philo

    Bruce Guest

    philo <> wrote:

    >Naw
    >
    >when I get around to it I will get a whole new refrigerator
    >
    >my wife will let me know when it's time!



    LOL! ;-)
     
    Bruce, Mar 10, 2012
    #18
  19. philo

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:14:04 -0600, philo <> wrote:

    >On 03/10/2012 08:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >> philo<> wrote:
    >>> Now, my project:
    >>> A
    >>> Anyway once I get the results I'll post back here
    >>> and all those who are curious will find out what the camera can really do.

    >>
    >>
    >> It's pretty obvious - to anyone who has taken the effort to read the
    >> publicity *and* investigate how the Lytro works - just how little the
    >> Lytro can do and how limited its abilities are. I suppose it would be
    >> mildly interesting to see if any practical application can be found
    >> for something that is so severely limited in terms of its performance.
    >>
    >> Otherwise, the Lytro is just a toy camera that will gather dust on a
    >> few people's shelves once the novelty has worn off.
    >>

    >Since you have never used one I'd say it's hard to judge
    >
    >I prefer to find out for myself
    >
    >It's my money and no sweat off of anyone else's hide


    I don't see why you need to be defensive about your purchase. Most
    active photographers have gambled on new equipment and won some and
    lost some. There are fish-eyes, Lens-babies, and macro lenses sitting
    unused in some closets of people who thought they couldn't live
    without them. Some people think the same item was one of their best
    buys.

    My weakness is camera bags. I have four "this is the perfect bag"
    sitting in the closet and I'm thinking of adding my current bag to
    that dusty corner.


    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
     
    tony cooper, Mar 10, 2012
    #19
  20. On 3/10/2012 2:37 PM, philo wrote:
    > On 03/10/2012 12:21 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    >> On 3/10/2012 12:56 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> On 2012-03-10 12:38 , philo wrote:
    >>>> On 03/10/2012 11:02 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>>> On 2012-03-10 08:48 , philo wrote:
    >>>>>> On 03/10/2012 03:20 AM, Bruce wrote:
    >>>>>>> philo<> wrote:
    >>>>>>>> They just emailed me
    >>>>>>>> I should have it in 2 -3 weeks!
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> Great news. It will be interesting to see if you can find a
    >>>>>>> practical
    >>>>>>> use for it, when no-one else has managed to so far.
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>> OtheX
    >>>>
    >>>>

    >
    > <snip>
    >>>> Oh one more thing...
    >>>> the software works only on a Mac
    >>>
    >>> I was going to mention that... you could maybe buy a used Mac Mini via
    >>> Craigslist for that and re-sell it later. They hold value pretty well.
    >>> Use your existing keyboard, mouse, display.
    >>>
    >>> (Lytro were a bit numbnutted in going Mac first).
    >>>
    >>>> and I don't have one new enough to support the camera...
    >>>> one more problem. I may have to ask a friend with a Mac if they want to
    >>>> help me.
    >>>
    >>> Come on up!
    >>>

    >> I have not bought a Lytro since I don't want to be forced to buy a Mac

    >
    > I have never purchased a 'ready made' computer...I build my own.
    > I have no problem getting a Mac but psychologically I cannot bring
    > myself to buy one.
    >
    > I did manage to build a "Hackintosh" myself , however the latest OS I
    > can get to run on it is OSX 10.4 and the Lytro specs call for OSX 10.6.6
    >
    >
    > I am going to see if I can get the software to work on my machine before
    > I look for other options.
    >
    > The next step would be for me to get one of my friends who has a new mac
    > let me try out the software on their machine.
    >
    > If I like the results I guess I could then justify getting a Mac...
    > the newest machine I own is over 5 years old
    >
    >
    >> but the blog page is interesting:
    >>
    >> http://tinyurl.com/5u9x984
    >>
    >> It's rather a long URL but you can also do a Google search on
    >> blog.lytro.com if you don't like TinyUrls.
    >>

    >

    I've only bought one read-made computer, a TRS-80 long ago but I don't
    feel virtuous about the several I have bought since then because I have
    had a non-chain computer store put them together for me as I specify
    (the latest is one year old). I have made changes myself including
    memory and discs. It would be a big change for me to go to Apple but I
    was really tempted today when I saw their latest high resolution monitor
    (2800x1900 or something like that and I've only got 1920x1080.)

    --
    Jim Silverton

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
     
    James Silverton, Mar 10, 2012
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Eric Miller

    Lytro Camera

    Eric Miller, Jul 28, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    354
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Aug 8, 2011
  2. philo

    Lytro

    philo, Oct 20, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    544
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Nov 1, 2011
  3. RichA
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    494
  4. James Silverton

    Lytro Cameras

    James Silverton, Jan 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    397
    Ryan McGinnis
    Feb 9, 2012
  5. RichA

    Lytro = junkpile

    RichA, Mar 1, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    825
    Ryan McGinnis
    Mar 22, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page