  1. philo

    philo Guest

    is now ready for orders

    philo, Oct 20, 2011

  2. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/20/2011 06:12 AM, Neil Ellwood wrote:
    > On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:02:30 -0500, philo wrote:
    >
    >> is now ready for orders

    > Mines a pint, please.

    Might as well tell you the nuclear physics joke I saw posted recently:

    ....and the bartender says: We don't serve neutrinos here.

    A neutrino walked into a bar and ordered a drink.

    philo, Oct 20, 2011

  3. On Wed, 19 Oct 2011 19:02:30 -0500, philo <> wrote in
    rec.photo.digital:

    >is now ready for orders

    Sure? Raytrix has been delivering already for months.

    http://www.raytrix.de

    Cheers,
    U.

    Ulrich G. Kliegis, Oct 20, 2011
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/20/2011 11:12 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Oct 2011 17:38:05 -0700, Savageduck
    > <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2011-10-20 17:18:43 -0700, Eric Stevens<> said:
    >>
    >>> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 00:28:16 +0200, Ulrich G. Kliegis
    >>> <>

    >>> "Price on application".

    I sure wish I knew what those Raytrix cameras cost.

    Lytro is selling theirs as a low price but I don't know if the camera is
    good enough to do 11" x 14" (approx) prints

    The 7mp Raytix looks promising but I bet it's expensive

    philo, Oct 21, 2011
  5. On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:12:28 -0500, philo <> wrote in
    rec.photo.digital:

    >I sure wish I knew what those Raytrix cameras cost.

    Why don't you ask them? I happened to meet these guys, and they are
    very responsive. They said they built so many of them that they now
    have more than they need, and they decided to sell some of them... :)

    No, still absolutely no connection with them, they are just a few
    kilometers from here. Bright folks...

    Cheers,
    U.

    Ulrich G. Kliegis, Oct 21, 2011
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/21/2011 10:22 AM, Ulrich G. Kliegis wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:12:28 -0500, philo<> wrote in
    > rec.photo.digital:
    >

    >> I sure wish I knew what those Raytrix cameras cost.

    > Why don't you ask them? I happened to meet these guys, and they are
    > very responsive. They said they built so many of them that they now
    > have more than they need, and they decided to sell some of them... :)
    >
    > No, still absolutely no connection with them, they are just a few
    > kilometers from here. Bright folks...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > U.

    OK

    guess I'll put in an inquiry

    philo, Oct 21, 2011
  7. philo

    Bruce Guest

    Ulrich G. Kliegis
    <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:12:28 -0500, philo <> wrote in
    >rec.photo.digital:
    >

    >>I sure wish I knew what those Raytrix cameras cost.

    >Why don't you ask them? I happened to meet these guys, and they are
    >very responsive. They said they built so many of them that they now
    >have more than they need, and they decided to sell some of them... :)
    >
    >No, still absolutely no connection with them, they are just a few
    >kilometers from here. Bright folks...

    The Raytrix web site seems to run very slowly, but I found this link
    to a BBC News item which provides some useful background to the
    technology:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/9568340.stm

    Raytrix:
    http://www.raytrix.de/

    Bruce, Oct 21, 2011
  8. philo

    me Guest

    http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf

    me, Oct 22, 2011
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/21/2011 11:50 AM, philo wrote:
    > On 10/21/2011 10:22 AM, Ulrich G. Kliegis wrote:
    >> On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 07:12:28 -0500, philo<> wrote in
    >> rec.photo.digital:
    >>

    >>> I sure wish I knew what those Raytrix cameras cost.

    >> Why don't you ask them? I happened to meet these guys, and they are
    >> very responsive. They said they built so many of them that they now
    >> have more than they need, and they decided to sell some of them... :)
    >>
    >> No, still absolutely no connection with them, they are just a few
    >> kilometers from here. Bright folks...
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> U.

    > OK
    >
    > guess I'll put in an inquiry

    and I now have one

    the Raytrix R-29 was quoted at approx 30,000 Euros or approx $40k

    just a guess, but it's probably a better camera the the $400 Lytro :)

    philo, Oct 22, 2011
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/22/2011 05:49 AM, me wrote:
    > On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 21:39:30 -0400, Michael<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I may be overly cynical about this, but everything I've read about AND
    >>FROM Lytro avoids real images, real details,

    > http://www.lytro.com/renng-thesis.pdf

    A great explanation

    but again...I am not going to buy one until I know what a medium-sized
    print looks like.

    Of course at the low price of $400 there is not a *huge* gamble

    philo, Oct 22, 2011
  11. philo

    nospam Guest

    In article <j7ub8u$39a$>, philo <>
    wrote:

    > but again...I am not going to buy one until I know what a medium-sized
    > print looks like.

    that defeats the whole point.

    nospam, Oct 22, 2011
  12. philo

    philo Guest

    On 10/22/2011 07:33 AM, nospam wrote:
    > In article<j7ub8u$39a$>, philo<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> but again...I am not going to buy one until I know what a medium-sized
    >> print looks like.

    > that defeats the whole point.

    Not really.

    I exhibit my prints and I'd certainly want to know a camera's
    capabilities before I'd buy it...but for $400 may still take a gamble.

    I do a lot of candid "street" shooting as I walk and even with an
    auto-focus camera miss a hell of a lot. A camera such as the Lytro
    could open up a whole new venue for me.

    I rarely exhibit a print smaller than 11" x 16" ...
    and often enough go twice that size.

    OTOH: In the event I'd take the gamble and get a Lytro...
    were I not able to get suitable size prints with it...
    I could still do a book.

    Right now I am working on my first photography book
    and the cost is going to be amazingly little for a pretty decent quality
    book. I know that a lower resolution camera will easily give me
    a decent 5" x"7' print that would be about the size of a print in my
    upcoming book.

    Now that I think of it...
    a small run of books (50) would actually cost me less than
    printing and framing a typical show.

    philo, Oct 22, 2011
  13. philo <> wrote:

    > the Raytrix R-29 was quoted at approx 30,000 Euros or approx $40k

    > just a guess, but it's probably a better camera the the $400 Lytro :)

    It's obvious that the Lytro is the better camera. I couldn't
    pay a R-29, but I could buy a Lytro without becoming a pauper.
    (Unfortunately they're not delivering outside the US, at least
    not now, so for now it's not that much of a better camera.)
    QED.

    It always depends on the standard of 'good'.

    -Wolfgang

    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Nov 1, 2011