Lytro...the evaluation

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Jun 2, 2012.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    I am sure I have mentioned here that a few months back I purchased a
    Lytro. Knowing full well that being the first in line with new
    technology is not always a prudent choice...I was so curious that I bit.
    The price was low enough that it was not much of a gamble. (It turned
    out to be a hell of a better deal than the Facbook stock I purchased)

    My wife and I have just returned from our yearly excursion to NY
    and I have the results.


    My background:
    I specialize in candid shot of people. Though I never try to hide my
    camera...I never like to make it obvious I am using it...I tend to hold
    the camera and "shoot from the hip".

    Though my 50D does a great job...I don't always manage to aim it right.
    I also have an occasional problem in that the auto-focus may zero in on
    something other than my intended subject.


    My theory was that I would be able to aim the small Lytro better...
    and that focus would not be a problem as I could focus the image
    after I took the shot.


    My results were quite a bit different than what I expected.


    First off, I was really no better at aiming the Lytro that I was the
    50D...however virtually no one recognized the Lytro as a camera! I found
    that I could easily walk up to people and just about point it in their
    face and they rarely even noticed. That would of course been impossible
    with any other type of camera. I ended up getting a shot of a very
    unusual face that I never would have attempted with a recognizable
    camera. For that shot alone it may have been worth it.All in all though,
    most of my best shots were still done with my 50D.

    BTW: Though we spent a full week in the most populated areas of
    Manhattan I did not see one other person with a Lytro...
    but a handful of people did recognize it and ask me questions about it.


    I also found out that I enjoy working with the "live images"
    and being able to focus in on different areas. My favorite shots
    are of rain through glass...or walking on a rainy day being able to view
    distant objects or zero in on the rain on the umbrella I was under.



    For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my recent
    NY shots (I have not included the unusual face though)


    https://pictures.lytro.com/philo/stories/37613#









    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. philo

    RichA Guest

    On Jun 2, 9:05 am, philo <> wrote:
    > I am sure I have mentioned here that a few months back I purchased a
    > Lytro. Knowing full well that being the first in line with new
    > technology is not always a prudent choice...I was so curious that I bit.
    > The price was low enough that it was not much of a gamble. (It turned
    > out to be a hell of a better deal than the Facbook stock I purchased)
    >
    > My wife and I have just returned from our yearly excursion to NY
    > and I have the results.
    >
    > My background:
    > I specialize in candid shot of people. Though I never try to hide my
    > camera...I never like to make it obvious I am using it...I tend to hold
    > the camera and "shoot from the hip".
    >
    > Though my 50D does a great job...I don't always manage to aim it right.
    > I also have an occasional problem in that the auto-focus may zero in on
    > something other than my intended subject.
    >
    > My theory was that I would be able to aim the small Lytro better...
    > and that focus would not be a problem as I could focus the image
    > after I took the shot.
    >
    > My results were quite a bit different than what I expected.
    >
    > First off, I was really no better at aiming the Lytro that I was the
    > 50D...however virtually no one recognized the Lytro as a camera! I found
    > that I could easily walk up to people and just about point it in their
    > face and they rarely even noticed. That would of course been impossible
    > with any other type of camera. I ended up getting a shot of a very
    > unusual face that I never would have attempted with a recognizable
    > camera.


    You could be the next Eric Salomon! Sneak into political meetings and
    take surreptitious images! As a spy cam, it might be interesting, but
    most of the images at their scale could be duplicated I think with a
    small P&S, given their level of sharpness (when focus was selected for
    a certain scene). But if clandestine images are your thing, they make
    video and still image pens, watches and other non-camera items.
    RichA, Jun 2, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. philo

    philo Guest

    On 6/2/12 9:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-02 09:05 , philo wrote:
    >
    >> For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my recent
    >> NY shots (I have not included the unusual face though)
    >>
    >>
    >> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo/stories/37613#

    >
    > I enjoyed that collection, some interesting compositions. The reflection
    > off the asphalt/pooled water is very pleasing.
    >
    > Many of the photos were not playing to the strengths of the Lytro. Esp.
    > those that you "shot from the hip" in movement with less than great
    > lighting. Really shows the limitations of the device (though that's not
    > unexpected).
    >
    > As I've mentioned in the past some images show that the camera is
    > perhaps not set up correctly in terms of depth of capture (a term I use
    > for the Lytro) while others do so brilliantly. I too like the shots
    > through rain dotted windows.
    >


    Correct...I did not make any customized depth of field shots.
    I am still learning. Though it has limitations of course...
    I am glad I have one more tool in my "belt"
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #3
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    On 6/2/12 9:59 AM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jun 2, 9:05 am, philo<> wrote:
    >> I am sure I have mentioned here that a few months back I purchased a
    >> Lytro. Knowing full well that being the first in line with new
    >> technology is not always a prudent choice...I was so curious that I bit.
    >> The price was low enough that it was not much of a gamble. (It turned
    >> out to be a hell of a better deal than the Facbook stock I purchased)
    >>
    >> My wife and I have just returned from our yearly excursion to NY
    >> and I have the results.
    >>
    >> My background:
    >> I specialize in candid shot of people. Though I never try to hide my
    >> camera...I never like to make it obvious I am using it...I tend to hold
    >> the camera and "shoot from the hip".
    >>x
    >> My results were quite a bit different than what I expected.
    >>
    >> First off, I was really no better at aiming the Lytro that I was the
    >> 50D...however virtually no one recognized the Lytro as a camera! I found
    >> that I could easily walk up to people and just about point it in their
    >> face and they rarely even noticed. That would of course been impossible
    >> with any other type of camera. I ended up getting a shot of a very
    >> unusual face that I never would have attempted with a recognizable
    >> camera.

    >
    > You could be the next Eric Salomon! Sneak into political meetings and
    > take surreptitious images! As a spy cam, it might be interesting, but
    > most of the images at their scale could be duplicated I think with a
    > small P&S, given their level of sharpness (when focus was selected for
    > a certain scene). But if clandestine images are your thing, they make
    > video and still image pens, watches and other non-camera items.



    Although I will not be buying a new camera anytime soon...
    I think what I really need is a camera (such as Nikon) that has a tilt
    out viewing screen.
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #4
  5. On 6/2/2012 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-02 09:05 , philo wrote:
    >
    >> For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my recent
    >> NY shots (I have not included the unusual face though)
    >>
    >>
    >> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo/stories/37613#

    >
    > I enjoyed that collection, some interesting compositions. The reflection
    > off the asphalt/pooled water is very pleasing.
    >
    > Many of the photos were not playing to the strengths of the Lytro. Esp.
    > those that you "shot from the hip" in movement with less than great
    > lighting. Really shows the limitations of the device (though that's not
    > unexpected).
    >
    > As I've mentioned in the past some images show that the camera is
    > perhaps not set up correctly in terms of depth of capture (a term I use
    > for the Lytro) while others do so brilliantly. I too like the shots
    > through rain dotted windows.
    >

    I was impressed even if the full "refocussing" is not demonstrated very
    well with many of the pictures. This may well have been answered before
    but how large can a sharp print be made? How many dots per inch would it
    be at, say, 8x10?

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Jun 2, 2012
    #5
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    On 06/02/2012 10:11 AM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 6/2/2012 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >> On 2012-06-02 09:05 , philo wrote:
    >>
    >>> For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my recent
    >>> NY shots (I have not included the unusual face though)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo/stories/37613#

    >>
    >> I enjoyed that collection, some interesting compositions. The reflection
    >> off the asphalt/pooled water is very pleasing.
    >>
    >> Many of the photos were not playing to the strengths of the Lytro. Esp.
    >> those that you "shot from the hip" in movement with less than great
    >> lighting. Really shows the limitations of the device (though that's not
    >> unexpected).
    >>
    >> As I've mentioned in the past some images show that the camera is
    >> perhaps not set up correctly in terms of depth of capture (a term I use
    >> for the Lytro) while others do so brilliantly. I too like the shots
    >> through rain dotted windows.
    >>

    > I was impressed even if the full "refocussing" is not demonstrated very
    > well with many of the pictures. This may well have been answered before
    > but how large can a sharp print be made? How many dots per inch would it
    > be at, say, 8x10?
    >



    Yes...even though many of the shots were really not "refocusable" I
    still liked them for what they were.

    The jpg extraction software provided by Lytro is still in the
    preliminary phases and is really very limited.

    The jps are only 1080 x 1080 and about the largest print one could hope
    to get would be 8" x 8" (or perhaps 7" x 7")

    If one would just take a screen shot, you would get better results than
    the software provided. Lytro claims they are working on it and their
    first efforts were directed more toward their "ive images"


    I did find a site where some guy wrote his own jpg extraction software
    but it's more for geeks such as myself who use Linux.
    I took his code and compiled it on my Linux machine and found it worked
    pretty well...but still about an 8" x 8" print is about the best one can
    get.


    So though it's possible to get a decent print...it won't be a large one
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #6
  7. philo

    philo Guest

    On 06/02/2012 10:38 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-02 11:11 , James Silverton wrote:
    >> On 6/2/2012 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> On 2012-06-02 09:05 , philo wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my recent
    >>>> NY shots (I have not included the unusual face though)
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo/stories/37613#
    >>>
    >>> I enjoyed that collection, some interesting compositions. The reflection
    >>> off the asphalt/pooled water is very pleasing.
    >>>
    >>> Many of the photos were not playing to the strengths of the Lytro. Esp.
    >>> those that you "shot from the hip" in movement with less than great
    >>> lighting. Really shows the limitations of the device (though that's not
    >>> unexpected).
    >>>
    >>> As I've mentioned in the past some images show that the camera is
    >>> perhaps not set up correctly in terms of depth of capture (a term I use
    >>> for the Lytro) while others do so brilliantly. I too like the shots
    >>> through rain dotted windows.
    >>>

    >> I was impressed even if the full "refocussing" is not demonstrated very
    >> well with many of the pictures. This may well have been answered before
    >> but how large can a sharp print be made? How many dots per inch would it
    >> be at, say, 8x10?

    >
    > I'm not sure how many pixels wide and tall one can get out of it. The
    > way it's presented on screen (which is really the way it's meant to be,
    > paper is so 20th century) would result in an 8x10 being printed at a
    > measly 50 dpi (±). Would not look all that great unless held at arms
    > length - so may as well print smaller.
    >
    > Philo: what's the on-computer "JPG" size (pixels) of the image you get
    > out (not the lytro.com presented version). eg: can you get larger than
    > the 550 (more or less) pixels that lytro.com presents?
    >




    It's actually 1080 x 1080
    translating to the real world though...not quite as good as my (first
    digital) 1 megapixel camera which actually could give you a decent 8 x
    10 print

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #7
  8. philo

    philo Guest

    On 06/02/2012 11:08 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-02 11:57 , philo wrote:
    >> On 06/02/2012 10:38 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> On 2012-06-02 11:11 , James Silverton wrote:
    >>>> On 6/2/2012 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>>> On 2012-06-02 09:05 , philo wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my
    >>>>>> recent
    >>>>>> NY shots (I have not included the unusual face though)
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo/stories/37613#
    >>>>>
    >>>>> I enjoyed that collection, some interesting compositions. The
    >>>>> reflection
    >>>>> off the asphalt/pooled water is very pleasing.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Many of the photos were not playing to the strengths of the Lytro.
    >>>>> Esp.
    >>>>> those that you "shot from the hip" in movement with less than great
    >>>>> lighting. Really shows the limitations of the device (though that's
    >>>>> not
    >>>>> unexpected).
    >>>>>
    >>>>> As I've mentioned in the past some images show that the camera is
    >>>>> perhaps not set up correctly in terms of depth of capture (a term I
    >>>>> use
    >>>>> for the Lytro) while others do so brilliantly. I too like the shots
    >>>>> through rain dotted windows.
    >>>>>
    >>>> I was impressed even if the full "refocussing" is not demonstrated very
    >>>> well with many of the pictures. This may well have been answered before
    >>>> but how large can a sharp print be made? How many dots per inch
    >>>> would it
    >>>> be at, say, 8x10?
    >>>X

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> It's actually 1080 x 1080
    >> translating to the real world though...not quite as good as my (first
    >> digital) 1 megapixel camera which actually could give you a decent 8 x
    >> 10 print

    >
    >
    > Ah yes - I recall now. Have you printed from it to date?
    >
    >
    >
    >




    Yes I made an 8" x 8" print that was pretty good.
    I think realistically a 7" x 7" would have been the maximum for a "show
    quality" image
    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #8
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    On 6/2/12 12:11 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-02 12:48 , philo wrote:
    >> On 06/02/2012 11:08 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> On 2012-06-02 11:57 , philo wrote:
    >>>> On 06/02/2012 10:38 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>>> On 2012-06-02 11:11 , James Silverton wrote:
    >>>>>> On 6/2/2012 10:52 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>>>>>> On 2012-06-02 09:05 , philo wrote:
    >>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>> For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my
    >>>>>>>> recent
    >>>>>>>> NY shots (I have not included the unusual face though)
    >>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>x
    >>> Ah yes - I recall now. Have you printed from it to date?
    >>>

    >>
    >> Yes I made an 8" x 8" print that was pretty good.
    >> I think realistically a 7" x 7" would have been the maximum for a "show
    >> quality" image

    >
    > Sufficient. I've been to shows with small prints - did not detract from
    > their quality of impact.
    >
    >



    Funny side note:

    I have often wished that my photography was as crystal clear as that
    usually seen in photography books. Then I realized that if I made my
    prints the 3 or 4" that are in the books, they'd be that clear too
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #9
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    On 6/2/12 5:03 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-06-02 17:59 , philo wrote:
    >> On 6/2/12 12:11 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    >>> On 2012-06-X2-06-02 09:05 , philo wrote:
    >>>>>>>>>
    >>>>>>>>>> For those who have not seen them, here is a link to a few of my
    >>>>>>>>>> recent
    >>>>>>>>>> NY shots (I havex

    >>
    >> I have often wished that my photography was as crystal clear as that
    >> usually seen in photography books. Then I realized that if I made my
    >> prints the 3 or 4" that are in the books, they'd be that clear too

    >
    > Broke the code!
    >
    >


    :)
    philo, Jun 2, 2012
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Eric Miller

    Lytro Camera

    Eric Miller, Jul 28, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    316
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Aug 8, 2011
  2. philo

    Lytro

    philo, Oct 20, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    499
    Wolfgang Weisselberg
    Nov 1, 2011
  3. RichA
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    454
  4. James Silverton

    Lytro Cameras

    James Silverton, Jan 30, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    360
    Ryan McGinnis
    Feb 9, 2012
  5. RichA

    Lytro = junkpile

    RichA, Mar 1, 2012, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    759
    Ryan McGinnis
    Mar 22, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page