Lytro (new link)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by philo, Apr 21, 2012.

  1. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Apr 21, 2012

  2. philo

    PeterN Guest

    On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
    > For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
    > I've created a new (user friendly) link
    >
    > https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

    Fascinating!

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Apr 21, 2012

  3. On 4/21/2012 4:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
    >> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
    >> I've created a new (user friendly) link
    >>
    >> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

    > Fascinating!

    How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
    "refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
    stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Apr 21, 2012
  4. philo

    philo Guest

    On 04/21/2012 10:54 AM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-04-21 11:43 , philo wrote:
    >> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
    >> I've created a new (user friendly) link
    >>
    >> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

    > I've been looking forward to these. I don't think you've used the most
    > effective place (the vernissage phots), but the one with the fellow in
    > the glasses, the wall and the building outside shows the effect quite well.
    >
    > And the first photo (outside) does not focus on the Gallery sign
    > indicating that you may not have setup the camera properly for that
    > photo (if I understand it well, there are "range" settings in the camera).
    >
    > I'd be particularly happy if you submitted Lytro images to the SI (due
    > tomorrow - see yesterday's [SI] posting). I'd attempt to link them via
    > the pbase photos to the lytro image site.

    I wanted all here to see the images just the way I took them...
    and yes, the camera does not always give a focusable image.
    For the one in question the reason it probably was not focused was
    because I took it while I was walking and probably was moving the camera
    too fast. There is a range setting but I did not use it.

    All in all though, the images turn out pretty well. Many of them did not
    have a great range variation and were not the best for demonstrating the
    camera's capabilities...but the one "shot" up the tree trunk is a good
    example.

    I probably will not have time to submit one to SI as "live images" can
    only be currently viewed on Lytro's website.

    Though Lytro provides a JPG extractor I find it limiting.

    The good news is that I found some JPG extraction code that I was able
    to compile and now I have my own JPG extractor that beats the one from
    Lytro.

    I have to copy it from my MAC to my Linux machine however...not a big
    deal but I have other projects I'm working on now.

    Basically I just posted to allow those here interested in the Lytro see
    some of my results

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Apr 21, 2012
  5. philo

    philo Guest

    philo, Apr 21, 2012
  6. philo

    philo Guest

    On 04/21/2012 05:23 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 4/21/2012 4:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
    >> On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
    >>> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
    >>> I've created a new (user friendly) link
    >>>
    >>> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

    >> Fascinating!
    >>

    > How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
    > "refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
    > stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!

    Please go to Lytro's website for more info

    http://www.lytro.com/#

    In short, it captures the entire light filed and is infinitely focusable
    *after* the picture is taken.

    New technology
    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Apr 21, 2012
  7. philo

    MC Guest

    Re: Lytro (new link)

    philo wrote:

    > On 04/21/2012 03:24 PM, PeterN wrote:
    > > On 4/21/2012 11:43 AM, philo wrote:
    > > > For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
    > > > I've created a new (user friendly) link
    > > >
    > > > https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#

    > > Fascinating!
    > >

    > It's a fun camera for sure.

    It seems is everything the reviews say it is. Great on the technology
    front but low resolution and awfully poor image quality make this
    nothing more than an overly-expensive toy.

    It may be fun to use but toys usually are.

    MC

    MC, Apr 22, 2012
  8. On 4/21/2012 6:40 PM, philo wrote:
    > On 04/21/2012 05:23 PM, James Silverton wrote:

    >>> Fascinating!
    >>>

    >> How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
    >> "refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
    >> stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!
    >>

    > Please go to Lytro's website for more info
    >

    > http://www.lytro.com/#
    >

    > In short, it captures the entire light filed and is infinitely focusable
    > *after* the picture is taken.
    >
    > New technology

    Yes, I know what Lytro says and I accept the principles involved but
    what happens when I click on a picture in *your* gallery and I receive
    a refocussed picture almost instantaneously?

    --
    Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

    James Silverton, Apr 22, 2012
  9. philo

    philo Guest

    Re: Lytro (new link)

    On 4/21/2012 6:19 PM, MC wrote:
    > philo wrote:

    >>> Fascinating!
    >>>

    >> It's a fun camera for sure.

    > It seems is everything the reviews say it is. Great on the technology
    > front but low resolution and awfully poor image quality make this
    > nothing more than an overly-expensive toy.
    >
    > It may be fun to use but toys usually are.
    >
    > MC

    Nope you are wrong there, the image quality is pretty good.

    What's lacking is the provided software for extracting JPG's

    guess you missed my comment about the custom software I am using.

    philo, Apr 22, 2012
  10. philo

    philo Guest

    On 4/21/2012 6:47 PM, James Silverton wrote:
    > On 4/21/2012 6:40 PM, philo wrote:

    >>> How actually does clicking on a picture on a monitor cause
    >>> "refocussing"? Are there several pictures with different focal points
    >>> stored? An interesting gallery, I must say!
    >>>

    >> Please go to Lytro's website for more info
    >>

    >> http://www.lytro.com/#
    >>

    >> In short, it captures the entire light filed and is infinitely focusable
    >> *after* the picture is taken.
    >>
    >> New technology

    > Yes, I know what Lytro says and I accept the principles involved but
    > what happens when I click on a picture in *your* gallery and I receive a
    > refocussed picture almost instantaneously?

    My gallery is of course hosted by Lytro I have no control over it other
    than what I post. The proprietary manipulations are on their end.

    OTOH: I can extract a JPG if I so desire...
    I plan to make a few prints. Though the code I use is better than what
    Lytro currently has...it still is less than ideal.

    Lytro will of course improve things as they go along.

    I am quite aware that it's best to wait for a while when new technology
    is released...but the curiosity factor got me.

    I enjoy being on the leading edge of something for once...this is
    perfect for me as being a computer geek I am familiar with compiling
    code and producing executable software. I even wrote my own shell script
    to make the process easy enough to run from the GUI.

    I fully admit however that there is no way I am bright enough to write
    to software to extract the JPGs...that kind of stuff is out of my league
    and I fully admit it

    philo, Apr 22, 2012
  11. philo

    philo Guest

    On 04/21/2012 09:12 PM, Rich wrote:
    > philo<> wrote in news:jmukjd$1r6$:
    >
    >> For anyone following my progress with the Lytro
    >> I've created a new (user friendly) link
    >>
    >> https://pictures.lytro.com/philo#
    >>

    > Interesting, but honestly, I believe I could achieve the same wide DOF
    > (selectable, in your Lytro's case) with at least the same definition with a
    > P&S with a small sensor, a higher ISO and a narrow aperture. Be
    > interesting to compare.

    Prior to me getting the Lytro I've experimented with small aperture and
    hi iso and have been able to get a very wide depth of field.

    The interesting thing about the Lytro is the *selectable* area of focus
    which in many situations I might like better than a wide depth of field.
    In other words, there are some situations where I would not want the
    entire frame to be in focus.

    That said...another reason I chose to get a Lytro was the fact that the
    vast majority of people I've photographed absolutely did not even
    recognize it as a camera (if they even noticed it at all)
    The candid nature of the shots is what I was going for.

    I have literally gone up to people and photographed them at close range
    and they never even noticed. The camera fits in my hand and is not well
    seen. Though it's not 100% silent it's very quiet.

    All in all , simply one more tool in my arsenal.

    --
    https://www.createspace.com/3707686

    philo, Apr 22, 2012
  12. philo

    PeterN Guest

    Re: Lytro (new link)

    On 4/21/2012 8:39 PM, philo wrote:
    > On 4/21/2012 6:19 PM, MC wrote:
    >> philo wrote:

    >>> It's a fun camera for sure.

    >> It seems is everything the reviews say it is. Great on the technology
    >> front but low resolution and awfully poor image quality make this
    >> nothing more than an overly-expensive toy.
    >>
    >> It may be fun to use but toys usually are.
    >>
    >> MC

    > Nope you are wrong there, the image quality is pretty good.
    >
    > What's lacking is the provided software for extracting JPG's
    >
    > guess you missed my comment about the custom software I am using.

    I suspect the next steps will allow the entire image to be in focus,
    and/or selective defocusing. Of course coupled with JPEG extraction. It
    will open up a whole new set of tools.

    --
    Peter

    PeterN, Apr 22, 2012
  13. philo

    philo Guest

    Re: Lytro (new link)

    On 04/22/2012 08:11 AM, PeterN wrote:
    > On 4/21/2012 8:39 PM, philo wrote:

    >> What's lacking is the provided software for extracting JPG's
    >>
    >> guess you missed my comment about the custom software I am using.

    > I suspect the next steps will allow the entire image to be in focus,
    > and/or selective defocusing. Of course coupled with JPEG extraction. It
    > will open up a whole new set of tools.

    I am sure a lot of improvements are on the way.

    In a few years the camera and software will be improved ...but
    heck...it's my chance to be a pioneer.

    Sort of missed out on the early days :)

    philo, Apr 22, 2012