    distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
    in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
    buyer as well.
    RichA, Mar 1, 2012

  2. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
    :
    : Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
    : camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
    : lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
    : interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
    : it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
    : days and shelve.
    :
    : The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
    : They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
    : distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
    : in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
    : buyer as well.

    Everyone has a niche to fill. Philo Kassner has published a well received book
    about the denizens of a Milwaukee watering hole, and now some are suggesting
    that he branch out and become a photographer of saloons in other cities.

    You, OTOH, have a knack for writing reviews of cameras you've never seen.
    Maybe you could parley that into a profitable sideline, just like Philo.
    People might buy your books, just to see how close you ever come to the truth.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 1, 2012

  3. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 1, 12:43 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >
    > :http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
    > :
    > : Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
    > : camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
    > : lens.  No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
    > : interesting as a pocketable product.  As it is, (no images posted for
    > : it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
    > : days and shelve.
    > :
    > : The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
    > : They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
    > : distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
    > : in very poor overall performance.  They were aimed at the lower-tier
    > : buyer as well.
    >
    > Everyone has a niche to fill. Philo Kassner has published a well receivedbook
    > about the denizens of a Milwaukee watering hole, and now some are suggesting
    > that he branch out and become a photographer of saloons in other cities.
    >
    > You, OTOH, have a knack for writing reviews of cameras you've never seen.
    > Maybe you could parley that into a profitable sideline, just like Philo.
    > People might buy your books, just to see how close you ever come to the truth.
    >
    > Bob

    Yawn. Like you have to see that toy to judge it?
    RichA, Mar 1, 2012
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 1, 1:45 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-03-01 08:23 , RichA wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

    > > Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored

    > <blah-blah snipped>.
    >
    > For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
    > line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
    > like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.

    Seems like I remember a line about one being born every minute...
    RichA, Mar 1, 2012
  5. RichA

    philo Guest

    On 03/01/2012 11:43 AM, Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA<> wrote:
    > : http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
    > :
    > : Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
    > : camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
    > : lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
    > : interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
    > : it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
    > : days and shelve.
    > :
    > : The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
    > : They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
    > : distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
    > : in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
    > : buyer as well.
    >
    > Everyone has a niche to fill. Philo Kassner has published a well received book
    > about the denizens of a Milwaukee watering hole, and now some are suggesting
    > that he branch out and become a photographer of saloons in other cities.
    >
    > You, OTOH, have a knack for writing reviews of cameras you've never seen.
    > Maybe you could parley that into a profitable sideline, just like Philo.
    > People might buy your books, just to see how close you ever come to the truth.
    >
    > Bob

    When I get it I will post here and let everyone know it's limits and
    it's capabilities.

    No once can judge it if they have not tried it
    philo, Mar 1, 2012
  6. RichA

    Jerry Smith Guest

    On 2012.03.01 13:45, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-01 08:23 , RichA wrote:
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
    >>
    >> Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored

    > <blah-blah snipped>.
    >
    > For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
    > line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
    > like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.
    >
    > Thankfully there are pools of capital willing to take risks on inventors
    > with more intelligence per cubic mm of brainmass than RichA's entire
    > lineage back over 1000 generations.
    >
    > [ The company was founded in 2006 by CEO Dr. Ren Ng, whose research
    > in light field photography won best PhD dissertation in computer
    > science at Stanford in 2006 as well as the internationally
    > recognized ACM award. ]
    >
    > [ Lytro has raised approximately $50 million to date from Andreessen
    > Horowitz, Greylock Partners, NEA, and K9 Ventures along with
    > individual investors. Greylock Partners seeded Lytro and Andreessen
    > Horowitz led the most recent Series C round, which raised $37.6
    > million for Lytro’s push into consumer markets this year. NEA lead
    > the Series B round in 2010. ]

    Why do you anser that idiot anyway?

    Silly waste of time.

    Jer.
    Jerry Smith, Mar 1, 2012
  7. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:11:57 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : On Mar 1, 12:43 pm, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    : > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    : >
    : > :http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
    : > :
[...]

    I would agree with you that the Lytro is no threat to existing photographic
    technology. But if the camera does what its manufacturers say it will do,
    someone will find a sensible, maybe even profitable, use for it. I guess it
    won't be you.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 1, 2012
  8. RichA

[...]

    Fundamentally, the Lytro is a device that exaggerates the effect of light
    arriving at its sensor from oblique angles. Used in conjunction with a laser
    light source, it might aid in detecting flexing, and therefore potential
    failure, in metal structures like airplanes, storage tanks, etc. It's just a
    thought. I'm not a structural engineer and know almost nothing about the
    subject.

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Mar 2, 2012
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Robert Coe <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    >: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
    >:
    >: Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
    >: camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
    >: lens. No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
    >: interesting as a pocketable product. As it is, (no images posted for
    >: it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
    >: days and shelve.
    >:
    >: The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
    >: They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
    >: distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
    >: in very poor overall performance. They were aimed at the lower-tier
    >: buyer as well.
    >
    >Fundamentally, the Lytro is a device that exaggerates the effect of light
    >arriving at its sensor from oblique angles. Used in conjunction with a laser
    >light source, it might aid in detecting flexing, and therefore potential
    >failure, in metal structures like airplanes, storage tanks, etc. It's just a
    >thought. I'm not a structural engineer and know almost nothing about the
    >subject.

    You should write to Lytro with that suggestion, Bob.
    Bruce, Mar 2, 2012
  10. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Mar 1, 1:45 pm, Alan Browne <>
    >wrote:
    >> On 2012-03-01 08:23 , RichA wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

    >> > Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored

    >> <blah-blah snipped>.
    >>
    >> For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
    >> line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
    >> like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.

    >Seems like I remember a line about one being born every minute...

    Rich is just a bitter right-wing bigot who hates everyone.

    --
    Ray Fischer | None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    Ray Fischer, Mar 2, 2012
  11. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 1, 3:21 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-03-01 15:12 , RichA wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 1, 1:45 pm, Alan Browne<>
    > > wrote:

    > >> <blah-blah snipped>.

    > >> For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
    > >> line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
    > >> like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.

    > > Seems like I remember a line about one being born every minute...

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andreessen_Horowitz
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylock_Partners
    >
    > We should hope so.  Unfortunately it is only boobs like yourself that
    > are born in great abundance.

    "I know you are, but what am I?" Very clever come-back.
    RichA, Mar 2, 2012
  12. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 1, 4:20 pm, Eric Stevens <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro

    > >Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
    > >camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
    > >lens.  No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
    > >interesting as a pocketable product.  As it is, (no images posted for
    > >it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
    > >days and shelve.

    > >The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
    > >They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
    > >distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
    > >in very poor overall performance.  They were aimed at the lower-tier
    > >buyer as well.

    > If you think the Bushnell 'Permafocus' binocular is a valid comparison
    > with what the Lytro does then you clearly don't understand the Lytro.
    >
    > Do you remember those awful 1.2~1.5 Mp cameras? Are you aware of what
    > they have grown into? Just think what the Lytro might grow into over
    > the same period of time.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens

    The writers were correct to point out that the average small-sensor
    P&S achieves basically the same deep DOF results with FAR better image
    quality.
    RichA, Mar 2, 2012
  13. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 1, 7:29 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > Robert Coe <> wrote:
    > >On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 05:23:39 -0800 (PST), RichA <> wrote:
    > >:http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/lytro
    > >:
    > >: Would that such a simple device and form-factor was a normal-sensored
    > >: camera, 4/3rds sensor in the same package with a prime focal length
    > >: lens.  No embellishments, a better screen but the same size would be
    > >: interesting as a pocketable product.  As it is, (no images posted for
    > >: it's output??) it's one of those techy-toys you'll used for a couple
    > >: days and shelve.
    > >:
    > >: The Lytro reminds me of a Bushnell binocular known as "Permafocus."
    > >: They were basically a scam, pretending to be in-focus across the
    > >: distance range when in-fact they used optical trickery that resulted
    > >: in very poor overall performance.  They were aimed at the lower-tier
    > >: buyer as well.

    > >Fundamentally, the Lytro is a device that exaggerates the effect of light
    > >arriving at its sensor from oblique angles. Used in conjunction with a laser
    > >light source, it might aid in detecting flexing, and therefore potential
    > >failure, in metal structures like airplanes, storage tanks, etc. It's just a
    > >thought. I'm not a structural engineer and know almost nothing about the
    > >subject.

    > You should write to Lytro with that suggestion, Bob.

    My suggestion would be as a small projectile in a rail gun.
    RichA, Mar 2, 2012
  14. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 2, 2:37 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > RichA  <> wrote:
    > >On Mar 1, 1:45 pm, Alan Browne <>
    > >wrote:

    > >> <blah-blah snipped>.

    > >> For every company and individual who puts their time and capital on the
    > >> line to test a new idea and approach there are thousands of jerkoffs
    > >> like RichA shitting steaming piles of worthless opinion.

    > >Seems like I remember a line about one being born every minute...

    > Rich is just a bitter right-wing bigot who hates everyone.
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer         |  None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    >  |    Goethe

    Liberal pansy.
    RichA, Mar 2, 2012
  15. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Mar 2, 2:37 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> RichA  <> wrote:

    >> >Seems like I remember a line about one being born every minute...

    >> Rich is just a bitter right-wing bigot who hates everyone.

    >Liberal pansy.

    Genocidal fascist.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 2, 2012
  16. RichA

    PeterN Guest

    On 3/2/2012 4:34 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
    > On 2012-03-02 08:30 , RichA wrote:
    >> On Mar 1, 4:20 pm, Eric Stevens<> wrote:

    >>> If you think the Bushnell 'Permafocus' binocular is a valid comparison
    >>> with what the Lytro does then you clearly don't understand the Lytro.
    >>>
    >>> Do you remember those awful 1.2~1.5 Mp cameras? Are you aware of what
    >>> they have grown into? Just think what the Lytro might grow into over
    >>> the same period of time.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> Eric Stevens

    >> The writers were correct to point out that the average small-sensor
    >> P&S achieves basically the same deep DOF results with FAR better image
    >> quality.

    > Which is not the point of the camera in question. It's not about "deep"
    > DOF but a single point in time and an image providing whatever DOF the
    > viewer cares to select, and re-select.
    >
    > I'm not surprised you can't make the distinction - just like the writers
    > who don't get it but you have to ape.

    Please stop insulting simians.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Mar 2, 2012
  17. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 2, 4:34 pm, Alan Browne <>
    wrote:
    > On 2012-03-02 08:30 , RichA wrote:
    >

    > > On Mar 1, 4:20 pm, Eric Stevens<>  wrote:

    > >> If you think the Bushnell 'Permafocus' binocular is a valid comparison
    > >> with what the Lytro does then you clearly don't understand the Lytro.

    > >> Do you remember those awful 1.2~1.5 Mp cameras? Are you aware of what
    > >> they have grown into? Just think what the Lytro might grow into over
    > >> the same period of time.

    > >> Regards,

    > >> Eric Stevens

    > > The writers were correct to point out that the average small-sensor
    > > P&S achieves basically the same deep DOF results with FAR better image
    > > quality.

    > Which is not the point of the camera in question.  It's not about "deep"
    > DOF but a single point in time and an image providing whatever DOF the
    > viewer cares to select, and re-select.
    >
    > I'm not surprised you can't make the distinction - just like the writers
    > who don't get it but you have to ape.

    It's a worthless piece of toy crap. You are just too stupid or ga-ga
    over a gadget to realize it. So go buy one. Then post your
    results.
    RichA, Mar 3, 2012
  18. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Mar 2, 2:06 pm, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > RichA  <> wrote:

    > >> Rich is just a bitter right-wing bigot who hates everyone.

    > >Liberal pansy.

    > Genocidal fascist.

    Foot-stamping, crybaby commie!
    RichA, Mar 3, 2012
  19. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Mar 2, 2:06 pm, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> RichA  <> wrote:

    >> >Liberal pansy.

    >> Genocidal fascist.

    >Foot-stamping, crybaby commie!

    Hypocritical thief.

    Ray Fischer, Mar 3, 2012
  20. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >It's a worthless piece of toy crap. You are just too stupid or ga-ga
    >over a gadget to realize it. So go buy one. Then post your
    >results.

    I cannot think of a camera that would better suit Alan Browne's
    so-called "skill set".

    I think "junkpile" is too kind. The camera is crap as well. ;-)
    Bruce, Mar 3, 2012