    --
    Jim Silverton

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Jan 30, 2012

  2. James Silverton

    Bruce Guest

    James Silverton <> wrote:

    >I note that the Lytro camera ( www.lytro.com) incorporates a zoom lens
    >and I wonder if there have been any moves not to have a zoom. In
    >principle, a wide angle lens could be zoomed electronically. I know the
    >number of pixels needed for high resolution would have to be increased
    >quite a bit but that might a logical extension of the Lytro idea.

    The fundamental weakness of the Lytro system is its low resolution.
    For any given subject-to-camera distance, only a small proportion of
    the total number pixels on the sensor are available.

    A further reduction in the number of pixels by cropping the image,
    which is all electronic zoom does, would simply make the problem
    worse.
    Bruce, Jan 30, 2012

  3. James Silverton <> writes:

    > I note that the Lytro camera ( www.lytro.com) incorporates a zoom lens
    > and I wonder if there have been any moves not to have a zoom. In
    > principle, a wide angle lens could be zoomed electronically. I know
    > the number of pixels needed for high resolution would have to be
    > increased quite a bit but that might a logical extension of the Lytro
    > idea.

    The Lytro already produces relatively low resolution for the number of
    pixels in the sensor, so combining it with "digital zoom" is probably a
    bad idea.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
    Dragaera: http://dragaera.info
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 30, 2012
  4. James Silverton

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 30, 12:56 pm, David Dyer-Bennet <> wrote:
    > James Silverton <> writes:
    > > I note that the Lytro camera (www.lytro.com) incorporates a zoom lens
    > > and I wonder if there have been any moves not to have a zoom. In
    > > principle, a wide angle lens could be zoomed electronically. I know
    > > the number of pixels needed for high resolution would have to be
    > > increased quite a bit but that might a logical extension of the Lytro
    > > idea.

    > The Lytro already produces relatively low resolution for the number of
    > pixels in the sensor, so combining it with "digital zoom" is probably a
    > bad idea.

    But typical of toy camera.
    RichA, Jan 30, 2012
  5. On 1/30/2012 1:03 PM, RichA wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 12:56 pm, David Dyer-Bennet<> wrote:
    >> James Silverton<> writes:
    >>> I note that the Lytro camera (www.lytro.com) incorporates a zoom lens
    >>> and I wonder if there have been any moves not to have a zoom. In
    >>> principle, a wide angle lens could be zoomed electronically. I know
    >>> the number of pixels needed for high resolution would have to be
    >>> increased quite a bit but that might a logical extension of the Lytro
    >>> idea.

    >> The Lytro already produces relatively low resolution for the number of
    >> pixels in the sensor, so combining it with "digital zoom" is probably a
    >> bad idea.

    > But typical of toy camera.

    Oh, I was really wondering about future trends and I did say that the
    number of pixels would have to be increased. Mind you, I am old enough
    to remember the beginnings of auto-focussing and pundits who said it
    would always be too expensive for ordinary photographers.

    --
    Jim Silverton

    Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
    James Silverton, Jan 30, 2012
  6. James Silverton

    DanP Guest

    In short, the bigger the sensor area used to capture an image the better the quality.
    Having a small sensor and then using digital zoom which uses a small area of that small sensor will produce an image so bad anyone could tell.

    DanP
    DanP, Jan 30, 2012
  7. James Silverton

    RichA Guest

    On Jan 30, 5:26 pm, DanP <> wrote:
    > In short, the bigger the sensor area used to capture an image the better the quality.
    > Having a small sensor and then using digital zoom which uses a small areaof that small sensor will produce an image so bad anyone could tell.
    >
    > DanP

    That's the idea. Then you really won't be able to tell if it is in
    focus or not!
    RichA, Jan 31, 2012
  8. James Silverton

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jan 30, 5:26 pm, DanP <> wrote:
    >> In short, the bigger the sensor area used to capture an image the better the quality.
    >> Having a small sensor and then using digital zoom which uses a small area of that small sensor will produce an image so bad anyone could tell.
    >>
    >> DanP

    >That's the idea. Then you really won't be able to tell if it is in
    >focus or not!

    It is surprising how many people are being taken in by Lytro despite
    the severe shortcomings of the system.
    Bruce, Jan 31, 2012
  9. James Silverton

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Bruce
    <> wrote:

    > The fundamental weakness of the Lytro system is its low resolution.
    > For any given subject-to-camera distance, only a small proportion of
    > the total number pixels on the sensor are available.

    it's a new technology. it will improve.
    nospam, Feb 8, 2012
  10. On Mon, 30 Jan 2012, James Silverton wrote:

    >> But typical of toy camera.

    > Oh, I was really wondering about future trends and I did say that the number
    > of pixels would have to be increased. Mind you, I am old enough to remember
    > the beginnings of auto-focussing and pundits who said it would always be too
    > expensive for ordinary photographers.

    Given that it was revealed that Steve Jobs was personally very interested
    in Lytro, it wouldn't suprise me if there is a strong future in it.

    --
    -Ryan McGinnis
    The BIG Storm Picture: http://bigstormpicture.com PGP Key 0x65115E4C
    Ryan McGinnis, Feb 9, 2012