    something other than allowing the end viewer to pick the point of focus.

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jul 28, 2011

  2. Eric Miller

    Eric Miller Guest

    On 7/28/2011 12:21 PM, Bowser wrote:
    > On 7/27/2011 7:41 PM, Eric Miller wrote:
    >> I've gone to the site and seen the smallish photos taken by this camera.
    >> It is cool to be able to refocus I guess. But, what really is the point
    >> of this camera? The end result seems a bit more gimmick than something
    >> with a potential related to art. Just my opinion and I again admit that
    >> the ability to refocus the images is kinda cool for what that's worth.
    >> It just seems that if I want shallow DOF and to use that in my image,
    >> I'm going to do that and focus on what I want to be in focus. If I want
    >> everything in focus, it doesn't look that that camera can deliver or, at
    >> least, I haven't seen any claim that it can allow everything to be in
    >> focus at once, but maybe I missed something. Also I wonder if this
    >> technology hints at some other use or capability that may be useful for
    >> something other than allowing the end viewer to pick the point of focus.
    >>
    >> Eric Miller
    >> www.dyesscreek.com

    > What you're seeing on that site is flash animations, not the real output
    > from the camera. And they are VERY low resolution! To me, this is simply
    > vaporware. No images of the camera, no actual images to download, no
    > description of the capture process, nothing. While it's a nice idea, so
    > is/was 3D photos. I'll hold on to my current cams.
    >
    > One other think that might be a fatal flaw: printing.

    Yep, printing pretty much negates the coolness of the image assuming the
    ability of the view to select focus is the selling point. Surely there
    cannot be that many people who are worried about not being able to get
    their images in focus that would buy it for that reason . . .

    Eric Miller
    www.dyesscreek.com
    Eric Miller, Jul 29, 2011

  3. Bowser <> wrote:

    > What you're seeing on that site is flash animations, not the real output
    > from the camera. And they are VERY low resolution!

    The lightfield info must be captured somewhere, and there are
    only so many pixels on the sensor.

    > To me, this is simply
    > vaporware.

    There isn't a mass production camera yet --- so?

    > No images of the camera,

    see above.

    > no actual images to download,

    Which of your programs understands refocussing the way the camera
    allows? None. That's about as useful as sending you a RAW that
    you cannot decode.

    > no
    > description of the capture process,

    Of course there is. With real papers and all.

    > nothing. While it's a nice idea, so
    > is/was 3D photos. I'll hold on to my current cams.

    The Lytro will never replace your camera. Just as running images
    haven't replaced still images.

    > One other think that might be a fatal flaw: printing.

    Same fatal flaw movies have.

    -Wolfgang
    Wolfgang Weisselberg, Aug 8, 2011