Lynne Cheney's Wild, Wild West

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?=, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-morrison11aug11,1,3757755.column

    Lynne Cheney's Wild, Wild West
    Patt Morrison: LA Times
    August 11, 2004

    It's one weird summer when the nation's favorite beach reading inclines
    to bestsellers by Bill Clinton, the 9/11 commission, John Dean and Tommy
    Franks … real page-turners.

    But then there's another book, written by another well-known political
    figure, and it's a doozy. Throughout its pages are fornication (the
    heroine with her late sister's husband), incest (half brother knocks up
    half sister), adultery (the heroine, with her first husband's friend),
    contraception (by the wed and the unwed) and lesbian couplings (the
    heroine's sister and an older woman). And incidentally, lynchings,
    dogicide, cattle theft and robber-baronism.

    The book was published 23 years ago, before the author's husband became
    one of the nation's most influential politicians, and before the author
    became a Valkyrie in the culture wars. And the author is … aha, you
    thought I was going to say Hillary Clinton, didn't you?

    It's Lynne Cheney, wife of the Republican vice president. The book is a
    frontier novel of the 19th century called "Sisters." It's hot, it's sexy
    and it's out of print.

    I could find only 11 copies in all of the nation's public libraries,
    mostly in red states: four in Wyoming, Cheney's home state, and one each
    in North Dakota, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Kansas, Virginia,
    and Kern County, Calif.

    On the Internet, the original 1981 $2.50 Signet paperback has an asking
    price of $2,999.95 to $25,000, the latter more than the cost of a first
    edition of "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn." I have "Sisters." I
    can't reveal my sources, but my hot copy is now in a secure, undisclosed
    location. (Thanks, Mom.)

    A proposal this spring to reissue the book was deep-sixed by Cheney,
    whose lawyer explained it wasn't her best work. It doesn't show up in
    her White House website biography. During the 2000 campaign, she told
    the New York Times she hoped the book would start "flying off the
    shelves." Now she doesn't want it to fly at all. What a flip-flopper.

    Naturally, demand is in inverse proportion to availability. In March,
    the New York Theatre Workshop staged a performance of choice scenes. The
    snicker factor is obvious, with passages like "Let us go away together,
    away from the anger and imperatives of men," and "Eve and Eve, loving
    one another" in "a passionate, loving intimacy." So is the hypocrisy
    potential, when both Cheneys and their lesbian younger daughter are
    laboring to reelect a man who regards Adam-and-Steve nuptials as the
    death knell for civilization.

    The book as a whole, though, is even more radical. "This is a very
    feminist book," said Elaine Showalter. She's a Princeton English
    professor emeritus who ran across "Sisters" at a Paris bookstall about a
    dozen years ago and wrote about it for a scholarly publication. I
    reached her on vacation, which I hoped was being financed by a
    five-figure sale of that long-ago copy, but wouldn't you know it — she'd
    sold it some years ago for $25.

    "I couldn't believe it was Lynne Cheney," Showalter told me. "At that
    point she was head of the National Endowment for the Humanities. I've
    had many not personal but institutional dealings with her; she had a
    reputation as being pretty tough on women's history and feminist
    criticism."

    Showalter thought the book did a "wonderful job" of dramatizing "the
    role of women in the West … she'd clearly read [the historical research]
    and wrote sympathetically. It's about women breaking away from the
    dollhouse and striking out on their own." If Cheney ever did allow a
    reprint, Showalter would probably be delighted to write a jacket blurb.

    Cheney, who earned a PhD in literature — that's one of the liberal arts
    — set the book in 1886 Wyoming, a rough paradise where women got the
    vote in 1869 and used it. When the territory was invited to become a
    state in a nation that barred women from voting, Wyoming thumbed its
    nose at Congress — "We may stay out of the Union 100 years, but we will
    come in with our women" — and kept state suffrage. The West led the way
    for women, and Wyoming led the West. Soon Colorado, Idaho, Utah and
    Washington gave women the vote; so, in 1911, did California.

    The cover describes the heroine as "beautiful, strong-willed," which is
    book-jacket code for an uppity woman about to be tamed by some man. Not
    this time. The lesbianism, the adultery, the contraception would offend
    some Bush voters, but it's the frank, uncensorious feminism that's
    really astonishing. Cheney's women do what has to be done. No divine
    bolt splits the heavens to punish lesbians and fornicators. Life
    happens.

    I found myself thinking that, in some ways, Lynne Cheney's 19th century
    Wyoming sounds like a better place for women than George W. Bush's dream
    for 21st century America.

    In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine doesn't feel she has to be a
    powerhouse in private and a dimpled simp in public. "I'm not caught up
    in that kind of hypocrisy," she says. "I've spent my life facing it
    down."

    In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine debates with the governor and
    drops an opera house chandelier on a man trying to kill her.

    In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, a woman might even tell a tormentor to "shove
    it," and earn a frontier "you go, girl" for saying so.

    --
    http://news2web.com/cgi-bin/dnewswe...news.admin.net-abuse.usenet&item=585739&utag=

    -------
    / \
    / \ /-----\
    | (@) | | SnuH |
    | (O) | \_ ___/
    | / | ||
    | \ /_ / //
    \ \____/ / /
    \ /
    \_____,

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?=, Aug 12, 2004

  2. ± <> wrote in news::

> [...]
    > really astonishing. Cheney's women do what has to be done. No divine
    > bolt splits the heavens to punish lesbians and fornicators. Life
    > happens.
    >
    > I found myself thinking that, in some ways, Lynne Cheney's 19th century
    > Wyoming sounds like a better place for women than George W. Bush's dream
    > for 21st century America.
    >
    > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine doesn't feel she has to be a
    > powerhouse in private and a dimpled simp in public. "I'm not caught up
    > in that kind of hypocrisy," she says. "I've spent my life facing it
    > down."
    >
    > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine debates with the governor and
    > drops an opera house chandelier on a man trying to kill her.
    >
    > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, a woman might even tell a tormentor to "shove
    > it," and earn a frontier "you go, girl" for saying so.

    I'd like to watch her strap-on the Bush twins with Chelsea and Hillary.

    --
    http://BeDoper.com - BeOS and a hell of a lot more

    Virgin Message Board
    http://bedoper.com/cgi-bin/plugins/BBS/bedoper_ubb/Ultimate.cgi?
    action=intro

    Lil' Bobby Gortician, Aug 12, 2004

  3. Lil' Bobby Gortician wrote:

> [...]
    > > bolt splits the heavens to punish lesbians and fornicators. Life
    > > happens.
    > >
    > > I found myself thinking that, in some ways, Lynne Cheney's 19th century
    > > Wyoming sounds like a better place for women than George W. Bush's dream
    > > for 21st century America.
    > >
    > > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine doesn't feel she has to be a
    > > powerhouse in private and a dimpled simp in public. "I'm not caught up
    > > in that kind of hypocrisy," she says. "I've spent my life facing it
    > > down."
    > >
    > > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine debates with the governor and
    > > drops an opera house chandelier on a man trying to kill her.
    > >
    > > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, a woman might even tell a tormentor to "shove
    > > it," and earn a frontier "you go, girl" for saying so.

    > I'd like to watch her strap-on the Bush twins with Chelsea and Hillary.

    Her daughter was born on the Isle of Lesbos.

    If these are Republican Family Values, it's time to change parties -
    woohoo!

    --
    http://news2web.com/cgi-bin/dnewswe...news.admin.net-abuse.usenet&item=585739&utag=

    -------
    / \
    / \ /-----\
    | (@) | | SnuH |
    | (O) | \_ ___/
    | / | ||
    | \ /_ / //
    \ \____/ / /
    \ /
    \_____,

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?=, Aug 12, 2004
  4. ± <> wrote in news::

> [...]
    >> >
    >> > I found myself thinking that, in some ways, Lynne Cheney's 19th
    >> > century Wyoming sounds like a better place for women than George W.
    >> > Bush's dream for 21st century America.
    >> >
    >> > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine doesn't feel she has to be a
    >> > powerhouse in private and a dimpled simp in public. "I'm not caught
    >> > up in that kind of hypocrisy," she says. "I've spent my life facing
    >> > it down."
    >> >
    >> > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, the heroine debates with the governor and
    >> > drops an opera house chandelier on a man trying to kill her.
    >> >
    >> > In Lynne Cheney's Wyoming, a woman might even tell a tormentor to
    >> > "shove it," and earn a frontier "you go, girl" for saying so.

    >> I'd like to watch her strap-on the Bush twins with Chelsea and Hillary.

    > Her daughter was born on the Isle of Lesbos.
    >
    > If these are Republican Family Values, it's time to change parties

    Not to mention panties.

    Lil' Bobby Gortician, Aug 12, 2004
  5. Lil' Bobby Gortician wrote:

    > ± <> wrote in news::
    >
    > > Lil' Bobby Gortician wrote:
    > >>
    > >> ± <> wrote in

    > >> I'd like to watch her strap-on the Bush twins with Chelsea and Hillary.

    > > Her daughter was born on the Isle of Lesbos.
    > >
    > > If these are Republican Family Values, it's time to change parties

    > Not to mention panties.

    Is there going to be DADV?

    --
    http://news2web.com/cgi-bin/dnewswe...news.admin.net-abuse.usenet&item=585739&utag=

    -------
    / \
    / \ /-----\
    | (@) | | SnuH |
    | (O) | \_ ___/
    | / | ||
    | \ /_ / //
    \ \____/ / /
    \ /
    \_____,

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?=, Aug 12, 2004
  6. =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B1?=

    Bill Cleere Guest

    "±" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Lil' Bobby Gortician wrote:
    > >
    > > ± <> wrote in news::

    > > > Her daughter was born on the Isle of Lesbos.
    > > >
    > > > If these are Republican Family Values, it's time to change parties

    > > Not to mention panties.

    > Is there going to be DADV?

    Republican Family Values include Lesbian Booty Calls, and they're
    *still* fucked-up. What a world!

    Bill Cleere, Aug 13, 2004
  7. Bill Cleere wrote:

    > "±" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Lil' Bobby Gortician wrote:

    > > > Not to mention panties.

    > > Is there going to be DADV?

    > Republican Family Values include Lesbian Booty Calls, and they're
    > *still* fucked-up. What a world!

    WM VP & WF PARTNER LOOKING FOR SWINGING ADVENTUROUS BI-CURIOUS COUPLE
    INTO DADV - NO SMOKERS, PLS.

    --
    http://news2web.com/cgi-bin/dnewswe...news.admin.net-abuse.usenet&item=585739&utag=

    -------