Lynksys modem/router problem...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by the_niner_nation, Nov 27, 2006.

  1. Hi..

    My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet connection
    from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.

    I contacted my ISP ( Tiscali, in the UK) and they have assure me there is no
    problem with the service, and advised me to use the free modem they provided
    ( a cheap-o plastic USB modem with a single ethernet input)

    This seems to work very well...no drop out in over 24 hrs of use.

    does this mean that either..
    1. My lynksys modem/router is not configured correctly?
    or..
    2. The lynksys modem/router is faulty?

    I am running on Winxp home.

    Thanks in advance!

    the_niner_nation, Nov 27, 2006

  2. the_niner_nation

    Andy Guest

    "the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVE49ers@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
    > Hi..
    >
    > My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet
    > connection from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    > It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    > then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.
    >
    > I contacted my ISP ( Tiscali, in the UK) and they have assure me there is
    > no problem with the service, and advised me to use the free modem they
    > provided ( a cheap-o plastic USB modem with a single ethernet input)
    >
    > This seems to work very well...no drop out in over 24 hrs of use.
    >
    > does this mean that either..
    > 1. My lynksys modem/router is not configured correctly?
    > or..
    > 2. The lynksys modem/router is faulty?
    >
    > I am running on Winxp home.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    You might also want to check the router power supply

    Andy
    Andy, Nov 27, 2006

  3. "Andy" <andy@dkw> wrote in message

    > "the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVE49ers@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
    >> Hi..
    >>
    >> My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet
    >> connection from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    >> It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    >> then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.
    >>
    >> I contacted my ISP ( Tiscali, in the UK) and they have assure me there is
    >> no problem with the service, and advised me to use the free modem they
    >> provided ( a cheap-o plastic USB modem with a single ethernet input)
    >>
    >> This seems to work very well...no drop out in over 24 hrs of use.
    >>
    >> does this mean that either..
    >> 1. My lynksys modem/router is not configured correctly?
    >> or..
    >> 2. The lynksys modem/router is faulty?
    >>
    >> I am running on Winxp home.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >>

    >> --
    >>

    > You might also want to check the router power supply
    >
    > Andy

    Power supply is fine, I changed it, too :-(

    the_niner_nation, Nov 27, 2006
  4. the_niner_nation wrote:

    > Hi..
    >
    > My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping ...

    Remember, if you try searching the web for answers, the name is spelled
    "Linksys" and not "Lynksys" ...

    This page came right up:
    <http://forums.linksys.com/linksys/board/message?board.id=DSL&message.id=360>

    It suggests a firmware upgrade.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 27, 2006
  5. the_niner_nation

    Butch Haynes Guest

    > Hi..
    >
    > My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet
    > connection from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    > It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    > then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.
    >
    > I contacted my ISP ( Tiscali, in the UK) and they have assure me there is
    > no problem with the service, and advised me to use the free modem they
    > provided ( a cheap-o plastic USB modem with a single ethernet input)
    >
    > This seems to work very well...no drop out in over 24 hrs of use.
    >
    > does this mean that either..
    > 1. My lynksys modem/router is not configured correctly?
    > or..
    > 2. The lynksys modem/router is faulty?
    >
    > I am running on Winxp home.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    I've always found the 24/7 tech support folks at Linksys very helpful-- and
    they speak the King's English, not the Rajah's ;-)
    Butch Haynes, Nov 27, 2006
  6. the_niner_nation

    James Guest

    That sounds exactly like my problem. I would lose my connection at least
    once every 48 hours. I spoke to Linksys support and we tried several
    different firmware versions. An older one helped me stay online longer, but
    I still lost the connection.

    Eventually, I just had enough and bought a new one. I've had a stable
    connection for many months now.

    I guess you could buy one at a big box store and see if it helps
    immediately. If not, just return it..

    James, Nov 27, 2006
  7. the_niner_nation

    Mr. Arnold4 Guest

    the_niner_nation wrote:
    > "Andy" <andy@dkw> wrote in message
    >
    >>"the_niner_nation" <dipakREMOVE49ers@hotmaildotcom> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hi..
    >>>
    >>>My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet
    >>>connection from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    >>>It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    >>>then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.
    >>>
    >>>I contacted my ISP ( Tiscali, in the UK) and they have assure me there is
    >>>no problem with the service, and advised me to use the free modem they
    >>>provided ( a cheap-o plastic USB modem with a single ethernet input)
    >>>
    >>>This seems to work very well...no drop out in over 24 hrs of use.
    >>>
    >>>does this mean that either..
    >>>1. My lynksys modem/router is not configured correctly?
    >>>or..
    >>>2. The lynksys modem/router is faulty?
    >>>
    >>>I am running on Winxp home.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance!
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>

    >>You might also want to check the router power supply
    >>
    >>Andy
    >>

    > Power supply is fine, I changed it, too :-(

    You might want to re-flash the modem router with the current firmware
    it's using or later. That sometimes fixes problem with the right out of
    the box, as the firmware can be sick.

    Duane :)
    Mr. Arnold4, Nov 27, 2006
  8. the_niner_nation

    w_tom Guest

    the_niner_nation wrote:
    > My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet connection
    > from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    > It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    > then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.

    Why are you removing filters? Filters must not be located between
    modem/router and the DSL service. Filters must be in series with (sit
    between) incoming phone line and all other telephone appliances.
    Filter does not impede or condition ADSL signal. Filter stops ADSL
    signal from seeing any other telephone appliance. If filter is between
    modem/router and the ISP, then filter is creating loss/reduction of
    ADSL signal.

    Only some modems provide useful statistics. Your DSL modem should
    contain a status screen so that dB signal strength is monitored in real
    time. When DSL is lost, does signal dB drop? Of course if filter is
    between DSL provider and modem, then that signal will drop
    significantly. Also if filter is not between DSL provider and every
    other telephone appliances, then again, signal will diminish. Numbers
    from that modem status page will debug your problem.
    w_tom, Nov 28, 2006
  9. the_niner_nation

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-28, w_tom <> wrote:
    > the_niner_nation wrote:
    >> My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet connection
    >> from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    >> It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    >> then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.
    >>

    > Why are you removing filters?

    That does seem to be an un-necessary step.

    > Filters must not be located between
    > modem/router and the DSL service. Filters must be in series with (sit
    > between) incoming phone line and all other telephone appliances.
    > Filter does not impede or condition ADSL signal. Filter stops ADSL
    > signal from seeing any other telephone appliance. If filter is between
    > modem/router and the ISP, then filter is creating loss/reduction of
    > ADSL signal.

    I don't know how it's done in the US, but here in the UK the 'filter' is a
    small gadget that plugs into the standard telephone socket, and provides
    two sockets - one for the ADSL connection, the other for the telephone(s).
    The circuits contained within the 'filter' do indeed do what you describe.
    The telephone and ADSL sockets provided by the 'filter' are not
    interchangeable. So 'over here', there *should* be a 'filter' between the
    telephone socket and the DSL modem or modem/router.

    It is possible to get the 'filter' circuit built into a wall box for the
    incoming telephone line that has two seperate sockets, one each for
    telephone and DSL, but I've never seen that arrangement in use.

    > Only some modems provide useful statistics. Your DSL modem should
    > contain a status screen so that dB signal strength is monitored in real
    > time. When DSL is lost, does signal dB drop? Of course if filter is
    > between DSL provider and modem, then that signal will drop
    > significantly. Also if filter is not between DSL provider and every
    > other telephone appliances, then again, signal will diminish. Numbers
    > from that modem status page will debug your problem.

    My modem/router's 'web page' doesn't operate in real time; changes are
    only displayed when I 'reload' or 'refresh' the page. (But that's a
    Belkin, rather than the OP's Lynksys).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 28, 2006
  10. the_niner_nation

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-27, the_niner_nation <dipakREMOVE49ers@hotmaildotcom> wrote:
    > Hi..
    >
    > My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet connection
    > from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    > It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    > then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.
    >
    > I contacted my ISP ( Tiscali, in the UK) and they have assure me there is no
    > problem with the service, and advised me to use the free modem they provided
    > ( a cheap-o plastic USB modem with a single ethernet input)
    >
    > This seems to work very well...no drop out in over 24 hrs of use.
    >
    > does this mean that either..
    > 1. My lynksys modem/router is not configured correctly?
    > or..
    > 2. The lynksys modem/router is faulty?

    Yes.

    If you have checked the settings of the Lynksys (if that is really how
    it's spelled, I suspect you've been had - the genuine brand is
    'Linksys'), then the device's hardware or firmware is faulty.

    You can get the 'User guide' from here, if you haven't got it already
    (probably on a CD packaged with the device)
    <http://www-uk.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=U
    K%2FLayout&cid=1123521940739&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper>
    or <http://masl.to/?U10831F3D>. There is 'Support' on the same site,
    possibly including 'firmware' downloads.

    > I am running on Winxp home.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Good luck!

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 28, 2006
  11. the_niner_nation

    w_tom Guest

    DSL was demonstrated by BT in 1981. It works same in both nations.
    You may feel a modem connects through the filter. In reality, modem
    connection must be a direct connection to phone line and DSL provider.
    Any filter between modem and DSL provider only diminishes a DSL signal.
    What you have assumed is not how DSL connects. When everything is
    installed correctly, that DSL modem makes a direct connection to the
    DSL provider. Filter disconnects (blocks) all other phone appliances
    from 'eating' a DSL signal. That is how DSL works in Britain.

    Removing filters would only permit other telephone appliances to
    'eat' the DSL signal. Removing a properly installed DSL filter should
    have zero effect on DSL modem signal. If removing DSL filter improves
    DSL operation, then a DSL filter has been improperly connected.

    Any rate, signal strength numbers from a status page are essential in
    understanding and solving DSL problems. DSL modem is, essentially, a
    radio receiver. It will only perform properly when radio wave signal
    strength (DSL signal) is sufficient.

    w_tom, Nov 28, 2006
  12. the_niner_nation

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-28, w_tom <> wrote:
    > Whiskers wrote:
    >> On 2006-11-28, w_tom <> wrote:
    >>> Why are you removing filters?

    >> That does seem to be an un-necessary step.
    >>
    >> I don't know how it's done in the US, but here in the UK the 'filter' is a
    >> small gadget that plugs into the standard telephone socket, and provides
    >> two sockets - one for the ADSL connection, the other for the telephone(s).
    >> The circuits contained within the 'filter' do indeed do what you describe.
    >> The telephone and ADSL sockets provided by the 'filter' are not
    >> interchangeable. So 'over here', there *should* be a 'filter' between the
    >> telephone socket and the DSL modem or modem/router.
    >>
    >> It is possible to get the 'filter' circuit built into a wall box for the
    >> incoming telephone line that has two seperate sockets, one each for
    >> telephone and DSL, but I've never seen that arrangement in use.

    snip

    > DSL was demonstrated by BT in 1981. It works same in both nations.
    > You may feel a modem connects through the filter. In reality, modem
    > connection must be a direct connection to phone line and DSL provider.
    > Any filter between modem and DSL provider only diminishes a DSL signal.
    > What you have assumed is not how DSL connects. When everything is
    > installed correctly, that DSL modem makes a direct connection to the
    > DSL provider. Filter disconnects (blocks) all other phone appliances
    > from 'eating' a DSL signal. That is how DSL works in Britain.

    snip

    Fine; now go into a UK telephone or computer shop and ask for a "DSL
    filter" that only has a socket for the telephone, and see what you get (if
    anything other than pity or a withering stare). A "DSL filter" has two
    sockets; one for "the computer" (or "the internet"), the other for "the
    telephone". What the gubbins inside does, or even that there is any
    gubbins in there, means nothing to the ISP helpdesk, shop assistant,
    telephone company helpdesk, or end user. The standard cable that plugs
    into the DSL modem or modem/router, is fitted with a plug that doesn't
    even fit the UK standard telephone socket.

    For example, see <http://www.adsl-filters.co.uk/>,
    <http://www.ssiltd.co.uk/products/microfilters/>, or
    <http://www.maplin.co.uk/search.aspx?MenuNo=77014&MenuName=ADSL ACCESSORI
    ES&FromMenu=y&criteria=ADSL%20ACCESSORIES&doy=28m11&worldid=4> (or
    <http://masl.to/?N4282574E> for short).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 28, 2006
  13. the_niner_nation

    Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote:

    >Fine; now go into a UK telephone or computer shop and ask for a "DSL
    >filter" that only has a socket for the telephone, and see what you get (if
    >anything other than pity or a withering stare). A "DSL filter" has two
    >sockets; one for "the computer" (or "the internet"), the other for "the
    >telephone". What the gubbins inside does, or even that there is any
    >gubbins in there, means nothing to the ISP helpdesk, shop assistant,
    >telephone company helpdesk, or end user. The standard cable that plugs
    >into the DSL modem or modem/router, is fitted with a plug that doesn't
    >even fit the UK standard telephone socket.

    Different in the U.S. then I guess, or at least in my area.
    My setup:
    Phone Outlet=====DSL Modem====Filter=====Telephone

    I've got a bunch of these sitting around as well
    http://www.king-cart.com/store/byterunner/dsl-filter.jpg

    --
    http://www.iiiiiiii.com/?
    , Nov 29, 2006
  14. the_niner_nation

    w_tom Guest

    A fully stocked store in Singapore, Australia, Canada or UK also sell
    these same microfilters with only one socket - to filter only a
    telephone. There need not be a second jack for a DSL modem connection
    because DSL modem is not and must not have a filtered connection to
    phone line. Basic technology knowledge makes that obvious. DSL modem
    must make a direct connection to phone line and DSL provider. That is
    fundamental to the technology called DSL. Therefore DSL socket is
    labeled - so that user does not accidentally put a microfilter between
    DSL modem and phone line.

    Any telephone appliance that makes a direct connection to phone line
    (without filter) will only diminish or destroy that DSL signal, and may
    also suffer noise from that DSL signal. Microfilter function was
    understood in Britain in 1981.

    Why do you 'only assume'? Because two sockets exist, then you
    magically know both must be filtered? If so, then you have no concept
    of a technology called DSL and you have not opened one of those
    filters. IOW you know without first learning facts.

    Some filters provide a second jack in that DSL filter so that DSL
    modem makes a direct connection to DSL provider via same wall
    receptacle. Whiskers - why are you so quick to 'assume' when your own
    citations contradict you?
    > The Z-420UKP2J filters all telephones, facsimile (fax) machines, answering
    > machines, and other telephone equipment. Its filter design electronically
    > isolates the high-speed ADSL / Broadband data stream from the voice-band
    > POTS to provide premium voice quality and optimal DSL data rates. ...
    > The filter becomes .active. only when the telephone is being used.

    DSL modem port is not filtered. Telephone port is filtered so that
    POTS appliances do not 'eat' DSL signals. Learn about something called
    a low-pass filter.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_splitter
    > ... leaving the DSL modem as the only unfiltered device ...
    > ... dedicating the other (unfiltered) leg to the DSL modem.

    Removing a filter must have no effect on DSL modem (assuming all
    connections were properly made). DSL modem makes a direct connection
    to phone line. Trying to make a DSL modem work by removing a
    microfilter will only prove human failed to make connections with
    sufficient care. Whiskers - read your own citations before confusing
    lurkers with myths. Get signal strength numbers from DSL modem to
    diagnosis DSL problems. Whiskers, learn basic DSL technology and read
    your own microfilter citations before deceiving others.

    w_tom, Nov 29, 2006
  15. the_niner_nation

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-29, w_tom <> wrote:

    snip

    > Whiskers - read your own citations before confusing
    > lurkers with myths. Get signal strength numbers from DSL modem to
    > diagnosis DSL problems. Whiskers, learn basic DSL technology and read
    > your own microfilter citations before deceiving others.

    snip

    w_tom, for your own sake please read what people write rather than make
    asumptions without comprehension.

    In the UK, it is not possible to plug a DSL modem or modem/router directly
    into the telephone socket provided by the telephone company and through
    which the DSL connection is delivered. (Unless you cobble together some
    sort of adaptor or special cable of your own - which is not recommended,
    although if you have no telephone or fax or other analogue equipment in use
    then it might work). A device universally (within the UK) known as a "DSL
    filter" is required.

    When the original poster talks about needing to have a "filter" between
    his modem/router and the telephone socket, in a UK context, he is
    completely correct. This device separates the data and analogue services;
    which in plain English, is the very epitome if what a filter does - ie
    separate things which are mixed together. Within the device, if one is
    bold enough to investigate, there are some electronic components which
    perform the separation or 'filtering'. There is indeed a 'bandwidth
    bypass filter' (as the technical jargon has it) to send the high-frequency
    data signals to one socket, and the low-frequency analogue signals to the
    other socket.

    See
    <http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/> and
    <http://www.adslguide.org.uk/howitworks/splitter.asp>.

    Here are the instructions provided by my current ISP
    <http://www.ukfsn.org/support/adsl.html#2>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 29, 2006
  16. the_niner_nation

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-29, <> wrote:
    > Whiskers <> wrote:
    >
    >>Fine; now go into a UK telephone or computer shop and ask for a "DSL
    >>filter" that only has a socket for the telephone, and see what you get (if
    >>anything other than pity or a withering stare). A "DSL filter" has two
    >>sockets; one for "the computer" (or "the internet"), the other for "the
    >>telephone". What the gubbins inside does, or even that there is any
    >>gubbins in there, means nothing to the ISP helpdesk, shop assistant,
    >>telephone company helpdesk, or end user. The standard cable that plugs
    >>into the DSL modem or modem/router, is fitted with a plug that doesn't
    >>even fit the UK standard telephone socket.

    > Different in the U.S. then I guess, or at least in my area.
    > My setup:
    > Phone Outlet=====DSL Modem====Filter=====Telephone
    >
    > I've got a bunch of these sitting around as well
    > http://www.king-cart.com/store/byterunner/dsl-filter.jpg

    That is certainly different from the UK. The DSL modems and modem/routers
    on sale here, do not (in my experience) have any provision for connecting
    an analogue telephone through them, and the "RJ11" connectors provided
    with them do not fit our standard "BT 631A" telephone sockets.

    The basic arrangement here is:

    ---telephone
    /
    Phone Outlet===DSL filter
    \
    ---DSL modem

    Our analogue 'dial-up' modems often do have a socket for 'passing through'
    a telephone connection, but they need an adaptor to accept a UK style
    telephone plug.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 29, 2006
  17. the_niner_nation

    w_tom Guest

    Whiskers again speculates that DSL technology pioneered in the UK and
    found standard throughout the world is somehow completely different.
    Did you even bother to read that wikipedia.com citation with a
    picture of your UK DSL microfilter? Or do you just know only because
    you feel? Why do you post instruction manuals that say nothing about
    what is inside the microfilter? Instruction manual shows some
    sockets. From a figure, you know everything about that microfilter?
    Why do you post citations from adslguide.org.uk that only contradict
    what you have speculated? Your speculations even contradict what ham
    radio operators must know. Why do I mention ham radio operators? Well
    you own citation says:
    > Don't worry if you don't understand because it's not all that important to the end user.

    So you don't understand the technology and yet speculate anyway.
    Even that figure in adslguide.org.uk demonstrates why DSL modem must
    make a direct unfiltered connection to DSL provider.

    Whiskers own citations explain why a DSL modem makes a non-filtered
    connection to phone lines via a UK microfilter. The circuit is called
    a low pass filter. Do you understand why telephone appliances must
    connect to a DSLed phone line via low pass filters? Did you understand
    why a POTS appliance without low pass filtering can change termination
    impedances as your own citations discuss? Did you understand what a
    low pass filter separates? Apparently not because every Whisker's
    citation is devoid of technical facts.

    Pennywise has also described how DSL filters work everywhere in the
    world:

    Phone Outlet=====DSL filter-----telephone (POTS appliance)
    \
    ---------------------DSL modem

    Whiskers: Learn how DSL works. Don't assume only because you saw two
    sockets in a microfilter or read a user's guide. Even wikipedia.com,
    using a UK microfilter as example, describes what that microfilter
    does.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_splitter
    > ... leaving the DSL modem as the only unfiltered device ...
    > ... dedicating the other (unfiltered) leg to the DSL modem.

    Removing a microfilter does nothing for solving DSL problems. Even a
    broken wire (thereby acting as a filter) will diminish DSL signals.
    DSL solutions start by reviewing signal strength numbers from DSL
    modem's status page. Diminished signal could be due to a partially
    broken wire thereby acting as a filter. A filter anywhere between DSL
    modem and DSL provide diminishes a DSL signal. Even wire too long acts
    as a filter which is why DSL has a distance limitation AND why thicker
    wire (less filtering) permits longer DSL distances. If a DSL
    microfilter was anything but a direct connection to DSL modem, then DSL
    service would become unreliable.

    w_tom, Nov 29, 2006
  18. the_niner_nation

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > So you don't understand the technology and yet speculate anyway.

    It's never stopped you from claiming that UPS's don't protect devices
    connected to them when there is case after case in the real world that
    shows they do protect them.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, Nov 29, 2006
  19. the_niner_nation

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-29, w_tom <> wrote:
    > Whiskers again speculates that DSL technology pioneered in the UK and
    > found standard throughout the world is somehow completely different.

    No he doesn't. I have not speculated at all about how it works in other
    countries, but I have stated and given citations for the way it works here
    in the UK. I have given facts.

    > Did you even bother to read that wikipedia.com citation with a
    > picture of your UK DSL microfilter?

    I saw no wikipedia citation in this thread, so I can't comment on it.

    > Or do you just know only because
    > you feel? Why do you post instruction manuals that say nothing about
    > what is inside the microfilter?

    Because what is inside the microfilter is not relevant to the user.

    > Instruction manual shows some
    > sockets. From a figure, you know everything about that microfilter?
    > Why do you post citations from adslguide.org.uk that only contradict
    > what you have speculated?

    What I cited does not contradict what I have said; it supports it. I have
    not speculated.

    > Your speculations even contradict what ham
    > radio operators must know. Why do I mention ham radio operators? Well
    > you own citation says:
    >> Don't worry if you don't understand because it's not all that important to the end user.

    I never posted that; if you found it on a web site I posted a link to,
    then at least have the courtesy to specify which site and where. Ham
    radio is a red herring introduced by you, for reason only you know.

    > So you don't understand the technology and yet speculate anyway.

    I do not speculate. I use the technology, every day.

    > Even that figure in adslguide.org.uk demonstrates why DSL modem must
    > make a direct unfiltered connection to DSL provider.

    No, it doesn't.

    > Whiskers own citations explain why a DSL modem makes a non-filtered
    > connection to phone lines via a UK microfilter. The circuit is called
    > a low pass filter. Do you understand why telephone appliances must
    > connect to a DSLed phone line via low pass filters? Did you understand
    > why a POTS appliance without low pass filtering can change termination
    > impedances as your own citations discuss? Did you understand what a
    > low pass filter separates? Apparently not because every Whisker's
    > citation is devoid of technical facts.

    Just a minute, I thought you said that the citations I gave were full of
    facts that contradicted me; where did all those facts suddenly go?

    > Pennywise has also described how DSL filters work everywhere in the
    > world:
    >
    > Phone Outlet=====DSL filter-----telephone (POTS appliance)
    > \
    > ---------------------DSL modem

    <cough> liar <splutter> That is your diagram, not Pennywise's - but your
    diagram looks remarkably like the one I posted illustrating the basic UK
    connection, and the way it differs from the diagram posted by Pennywise.
    Your diagram does clearly agree with what I've been saying, though - and
    contradicts your claims.

    The arrangement that seems to be recommended most often in the USA is more
    like this:

    Phone outlet========================DSL modem
    | |
    | |
    micro-filter micro-filter
    | |
    | |
    telephone telephone

    Which will not work in the UK.

    > Whiskers: Learn how DSL works. Don't assume only because you saw two
    > sockets in a microfilter or read a user's guide. Even wikipedia.com,
    > using a UK microfilter as example, describes what that microfilter
    > does.

    I wonder if has occured to you that as I am here in the UK, and using a
    self-installed ADSL internet connection set up according to the
    description I have given and the various instructions I've linked to, that
    perhaps I do know what I'm talking about? You clearly aren't in the UK.

    Aha: here's the link to a wikipedia page. Too bad I didn't read this
    response to my article before I posted the article it's a response to ...

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_splitter
    >> ... leaving the DSL modem as the only unfiltered device ...
    >> ... dedicating the other (unfiltered) leg to the DSL modem.

    Too bad that there's a photo right at the top of the page, showing a
    UK-style DSL filter, with the caption "A smaller DSL filter that plugs
    into the telephone line" and clearly showing the two different sockets
    provided by the filter. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DSLfilter.jpg>.
    Here in the UK, you can't even plug your DSL modem in, without one of
    these.

    The recommended connection arrangements in the UK and USA are not the same;
    like you, that page seems to be confused. The text may be correct in some
    places, but not here. Wikipedia is the last resource I'd rely on for
    getting correct complete and accurate facts.

    Here's another UK ISP page about it
    <http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_adp.php?p_sid=WDm
    PPUni&cat_lvl1=346&cat_lvl2=401&cat_lvl3=407&cat_lvl4=408&p_cv=4.408&p_cats
    =346,401,407,408&p_faqid=588> or <http://masl.to/?T2A73294E>

    ..-----
    | [...]
    | You need a microfilter for every telephone socket on the BT Broadband line
    | where you have equipment plugged in, including your broadband
    | modem/router, digital television boxes, Sky boxes, alarms, fax machines
    | and smartboxes. You can connect a maximum four microfilters to a single BT
    | Broadband line.
    | [...]
    '-----

    Can it be made any clearer?

    > Removing a microfilter does nothing for solving DSL problems.

    Here in the UK, removing the DSL filter between the DSL modem and the
    incoming telphone socket, makes it impossible to plug the DSL modem into
    the telephone socket at all (unless you build your own cable or adaptor).
    The plug is a different size and shape from the socket. So it is correct
    to say that removing that filter won't help solve anything; it just adds
    yet another problem. Swapping in different 'filters' is certainly a basic
    trouble-shooting technique though, to eliminate a faulty 'filter'.

    > Even a
    > broken wire (thereby acting as a filter) will diminish DSL signals.
    > DSL solutions start by reviewing signal strength numbers from DSL
    > modem's status page. Diminished signal could be due to a partially
    > broken wire thereby acting as a filter.

    DSL troubleshooting starts by making sure that things are plugged in
    correctly and working properly. The OP has effectively done that, and
    apparently narrowed his problem down to 'something to do with the
    modem/router' - as the ISP-supplied basic 'modem' works fine.

    > A filter anywhere between DSL
    > modem and DSL provide diminishes a DSL signal.

    Only if you contrive to connect the DSL modem to the 'telephone' socket on
    the DSL filter; tricky, as they don't fit - but not actually impossible.

    snip

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 29, 2006
  20. the_niner_nation

    Rick Merrill Guest

    the_niner_nation wrote:
    > Hi..
    >
    > My lynksys modem/router WAG54GS (v1.1) keeps dropping my internet connection
    > from every 30 mins to 2 hours or so.
    > It is really irritating to power down, remove all the filters (ADSL) and
    > then reconnect reboot and retstart the modem/router each time it stops.
    >
    > I contacted my ISP ( Tiscali, in the UK) and they have assure me there is no
    > problem with the service, and advised me to use the free modem they provided
    > ( a cheap-o plastic USB modem with a single ethernet input)
    >
    > This seems to work very well...no drop out in over 24 hrs of use.
    >
    > does this mean that either..
    > 1. My lynksys modem/router is not configured correctly?
    > or..

    1.a. your linksys [nb spelling] is not loaded with the
    latest firmware update OR it is hopelessly out of date (DOCSIS).

    Rick Merrill, Nov 30, 2006