    site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

    Thanks.

    Elmer, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    Pathetic to respond to your own posts, I know, but I meant my P3 is
    running at 730 MHz. Should I even bother to open this up if it says
    "Minimum System Requirements Pentium iii or Athlon Processor 800 MHz
    (1.2 GHz or faster recommended)"?

    Also, it says the unit needs a USB 2.0, why I don't know; all I have
    is two 1.1s.

    Thanks.

    Elmer, Feb 22, 2008

  3. Elmer

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Elmer <> wrote:
    >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
    >won't be used much.
    >
    >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
    >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
    >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
    >*1.2.*
    >
    >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
    >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

    The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
    reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
    the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
    slow.

    As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
    with no problems whatsoever.

    Mike S., Feb 22, 2008
  4. Elmer

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Elmer <> wrote:
    >Pathetic to respond to your own posts, I know, but I meant my P3 is
    >running at 730 MHz. Should I even bother to open this up if it says
    >"Minimum System Requirements Pentium iii or Athlon Processor 800 MHz
    >(1.2 GHz or faster recommended)"?
    >
    >Also, it says the unit needs a USB 2.0, why I don't know; all I have
    >is two 1.1s.

    Aha. You failed to mention that this is an external USB burner.

    USB 1.1 barely has enough bandwidth to supply data at a rate needed to
    burn a DVD at 1X (i.e. 1 hour burn time per layer). Again; 1.1 will work
    but you may not be happy with waiting so long.

    USB 2.0 upgrade cards are cheap (< US$20 at most big mail order houses) if
    your computer has a spare slot.

    Mike S., Feb 22, 2008
  5. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (Mike S.) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Elmer <> wrote:
    > >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
    > >won't be used much.

    > >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
    > >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
    > >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
    > >*1.2.*

    > >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
    > >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    > >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

    > The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
    > reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
    > the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
    > slow.
    >
    > As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
    > with no problems whatsoever.

    No no, it's not external. It's internal (so don't ask me why they
    have a USB specification.) If you read this, could you tell me
    whether *you'd* open the box and give it a try?

    Elmer, Feb 22, 2008
  6. Elmer

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Elmer <> wrote:
    >On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (Mike S.) wrote:
    >> In article

    ><>,
    >>
    >> Elmer <> wrote:
    >> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
    >> >won't be used much.

    >> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
    >> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
    >> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
    >> >*1.2.*

    >> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
    >> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    >> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

    >> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
    >> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
    >> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
    >> with no problems whatsoever.

    >No no, it's not external. It's internal (so don't ask me why they
    >have a USB specification.) If you read this, could you tell me
    >whether *you'd* open the box and give it a try?

    The specs for just about any DVD burner are going to list similar
    requirements these days. To answer your question, I'd need to know aht
    choice you're making: keep vs. return, or try a something vs. being
    intimidated away from trying something.

    Decent internal DVD burners can be had for less than US$30. I personally
    would buy from a dealer with a liberal return policy, and give it a try.

    Mike S., Feb 22, 2008
  7. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (Mike S.) wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > Elmer <> wrote:
    > >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
    > >won't be used much.

    > >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
    > >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
    > >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
    > >*1.2.*

    > >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
    > >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    > >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

    > The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
    > reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
    > the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
    > slow.
    >
    > As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
    > with no problems whatsoever.

    I got a tech support email that said to return it because of the USB
    1.1 slowing-down of reading and writing. But what if I just want to
    use it for burning CDs? If you've successfully burned DVDs (which I
    realize requires reading and writing via USB) on 400 MHz, couldn't I
    at least use it for this? You're right, I paid exactly thirty bucks.

    Also, couldn't I just add a 2.0 hub?

    Elmer, Feb 22, 2008
  8. Elmer

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Elmer <> wrote:
    >On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (Mike S.) wrote:
    >> In article

    ><>,
    >>
    >> Elmer <> wrote:
    >> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
    >> >won't be used much.

    >> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
    >> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
    >> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
    >> >*1.2.*

    >> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
    >> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    >> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

    >> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
    >> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
    >> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
    >> with no problems whatsoever.

    >I got a tech support email that said to return it because of the USB
    >1.1 slowing-down of reading and writing. But what if I just want to
    >use it for burning CDs? If you've successfully burned DVDs (which I
    >realize requires reading and writing via USB) on 400 MHz, couldn't I
    >at least use it for this? You're right, I paid exactly thirty bucks.
    >
    >Also, couldn't I just add a 2.0 hub?

    I'm getting more confused with each exchange here.

    Initially I got the impression that this was an internal drive.

    Then you mentioned a USB 2.0 requirement, which pertains only to
    externals.

    But you replied that this is, in fact, an internal drive and were puzzled
    by the USB requirement too.

    Now you're saying that tech support told you to return the drive because
    you only have USB 1.1 and you're asking if you can add a USB 2.0 hub ...
    what for?

    What brand and model drive is this - please post exactly what is printed on
    the box. Does the picture on the box show a bare drive for mounting inside
    the case, or is it in a standalone box with case and power supply?

    If you want high speed USB, the thing to add is a USB 2.0 host adaptor
    (i.e. a PCI bus expansion card that goes in your computer) ... not a hub,
    which is an external box used for sharing an existing USB port among
    several peripherals. Yes, you can add one .... but if, in fact, the drive
    is an internal one, then USB is irrelevant to your use of the drive.

    As for burning discs using an external USB burner:

    An external USB DVD burner connected via a USB 1.1 port will take
    approximately 81 minutes to burn a single-layer DVD.

    That same drive will take about 12 minutes to burn an 80-minute CD via a
    USB 1.1 port.

    Mike S., Feb 22, 2008
  9. Elmer

    Elmer Guest

    On Feb 22, 3:56 pm, (Mike S.) wrote:

    Wow, I'm sorry for being so confusing! This is definitely an internal
    drive (I/O Magic, 18X).

    > Initially I got the impression that this was an internal drive.
    >
    > Then you mentioned a USB 2.0 requirement, which pertains only to
    > externals.

    I imagine this is because of the read speeds? I have no idea why the
    tech support who answered my email said this was important. I thought
    maybe there's software in the (unopened) box that transfers video from
    a video camera and/or other source. I really don't know, but this is
    definitely an internal drive.

    > Now you're saying that tech support told you to return the drive because
    > you only have USB 1.1 and you're asking if you can add a USB 2.0 hub ...
    > what for?

    I meant PCI bus; I wrote 'hub' by mistake. Sorry!

    > If you want high speed USB, the thing to add is a USB 2.0 host adaptor
    > (i.e. a PCI bus expansion card that goes in your computer) ... not a hub,
    > which is an external box used for sharing an existing USB port among
    > several peripherals. Yes, you can add one .... but if, in fact, the drive
    > is an internal one, then USB is irrelevant to your use of the drive.

    I know; this is what I can't figure out...unless there's software
    that's supposed to enable uploading? I really have no idea, which is
    why I posted.

    > An external USB DVD burner connected via a USB 1.1 port will take
    > approximately 81 minutes to burn a single-layer DVD.
    >
    > That same drive will take about 12 minutes to burn an 80-minute CD via a
    > USB 1.1 port.

    I could care less. I once took four hours to download a three minute
    Mp3 to a Pentium 1 on a dial-up connection. Speed is of absolutely no
    importance to me; I just don't want my processor to burn up.

    Elmer, Feb 22, 2008
  10. Elmer

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Elmer <> wrote:
    >On Feb 22, 3:56 pm, (Mike S.) wrote:
    >
    >Wow, I'm sorry for being so confusing! This is definitely an internal
    >drive (I/O Magic, 18X).

    OK. a no-name drive; most likely manufactured by Lite-On and relabelled.

    [snip]

    >> If you want high speed USB, the thing to add is a USB 2.0 host adaptor
    >> (i.e. a PCI bus expansion card that goes in your computer) ... not a hub,
    >> which is an external box used for sharing an existing USB port among
    >> several peripherals. Yes, you can add one .... but if, in fact, the drive
    >> is an internal one, then USB is irrelevant to your use of the drive.

    >I know; this is what I can't figure out...unless there's software
    >that's supposed to enable uploading? I really have no idea, which is
    >why I posted.

    Yes, that makes more sense. If you're transferring video via USB, then the
    interface speed will definitely matter. It's certainly worth your while in
    general to add USB 2.0 ports with a cheap interface card. Look for one
    with the NEC controller chipset since it seems to be the least troublesome
    and is one of the ones natively supported by Windows 2000/XP bundled
    drivers.

    Mike S., Feb 22, 2008
  11. Elmer

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Elmer <> wrote:
    >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
    >won't be used much.
    >
    >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
    >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
    >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
    >*1.2.*
    >
    >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
    >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.
    >
    >Thanks.

    You will be fine

    GMAN, Feb 24, 2008
  12. Elmer

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Elmer <> wrote:
    >Pathetic to respond to your own posts, I know, but I meant my P3 is
    >running at 730 MHz. Should I even bother to open this up if it says
    >"Minimum System Requirements Pentium iii or Athlon Processor 800 MHz
    >(1.2 GHz or faster recommended)"?
    >
    >Also, it says the unit needs a USB 2.0, why I don't know; all I have
    >is two 1.1s.
    >
    >Thanks.

    OOps, i thought you had an internal drive, you may have issues with 1.1 and
    that drive.

    GMAN, Feb 25, 2008
  13. Elmer

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Elmer <> wrote:
    >On Feb 22, 7:58 am, (Mike S.) wrote:
    >> In article

    > <>,
    >>
    >> Elmer <> wrote:
    >> >I posted here a few days ago about buying an off-price burner that
    >> >won't be used much.

    >> >The tech support person at the manufacturer claimed the burner's
    >> >*software* required a Pentium 3 running at "1 Gigherz." The burner
    >> >arrived last night and says the burner itself requires a P3 running at
    >> >*1.2.*

    >> >Should I return this to the tech-retail store through whose online
    >> >site I bought it if my P3 runs at 768 Megaherz? I don't mind if it
    >> >runs slow, even very slow, but I don't want it if it won't run at all.

    >> The CPU speed requirement is almost certainly related to getting
    >> reasonable performance from the video processing and DVD authoring part of
    >> the software suite. It will run on a slower machine but may be agonizingly
    >> slow.
    >>
    >> As for DVD burning - I have burned and copied DVD's on 400 MHz computers
    >> with no problems whatsoever.

    >I got a tech support email that said to return it because of the USB
    >1.1 slowing-down of reading and writing. But what if I just want to
    >use it for burning CDs? If you've successfully burned DVDs (which I
    >realize requires reading and writing via USB) on 400 MHz, couldn't I
    >at least use it for this? You're right, I paid exactly thirty bucks.
    >
    >Also, couldn't I just add a 2.0 hub?

    Well is it internal or isnt it???? USB has nothing to do with it if it
    mounts internally!!!

    GMAN, Feb 25, 2008