    Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
    clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
    may fix it up later.. or not.

    Mark Thomas, Jul 27, 2008

  2. Mark Thomas

    Jeff R. Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:

    > Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there
    > are clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor
    > cloning - I may fix it up later.. or not.

    Hmmm... a bunch of Rollers and an Aston outside a church... a wedding?

    Have you seen the episode of Top Gear in which that twat Jeremy Clarkson
    pitted a DB5 and an E-type Jag against a modern car?

    Sadly the modern rice-burner won - both in speed and handling.

    Tragically, the modern car was a.... <gulp> Honda Accord.

    At least the DB and the E won the appearance and style contest hands-down.

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., Jul 27, 2008

  3. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Jeff R. wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >>
    >> Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there
    >> are clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor
    >> cloning - I may fix it up later.. or not.

    > Hmmm... a bunch of Rollers and an Aston outside a church... a wedding?

    Nope, but that was indeed the obvious answer, and you spotted the 'clue'
    such as it was. I shall post the real answer shortly.. It would be good
    if it was a clandestine mafia event or something, but sadly it's not
    that exciting..

    > Have you seen the episode of Top Gear in which that twat Jeremy Clarkson
    > pitted a DB5 and an E-type Jag against a modern car?

    Yep!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW91gwiaFsk

    I agree with your assessment of JC, but I like his voice and I havta
    admit I love watching that show. And if someone gave me one of those
    modernised db5's he drives at the end, I'd probably keep it.

    (If you visit that link, check out the topmost 'related' video you will
    probably get - gotta be proud of the Monaro!!)

    Mark Thomas, Jul 27, 2008
  4. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Mark Thomas, Jul 27, 2008
  5. Mark Thomas

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:36:13 +1000, Mark Thomas
    <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote:

    >Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
    >clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
    >may fix it up later.. or not.

    Grand opening of the new Gift Shoppe and Reliquary Boutique at St
    Aslem's of the Heath, Hampstead.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 27, 2008
  6. Mark Thomas

    dj_nme Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > I went to a sort-of-unrelated event today and took quite a few snaps,
    > some of which I may post later. But isn't it always the way - as I
    > browsed over the results, the shot that took my eye was just a careless
    > grab.
    >
    > http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_martin.jpg
    >
    > Pity about the crop and the just-a-bit-too-obvious flash fill (and
    > there's some amateurish ps work to eliminate a couple of annoying items
    > that would have detracted from the mood). Maybe it is just because I'm a
    > Sean Connery fan that I like it..

    It's a great photo, so don't be so hard on yourself.
    The B&W treatment makes the specular highlights from the flash look "right".

    > Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
    > clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
    > may fix it up later.. or not.

    Vintage car club?

    dj_nme, Jul 27, 2008
  7. Mark Thomas

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Mark Thomas" <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote

    > Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
    > clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
    > may fix it up later.. or not.

    Hmm... Police Seized Auction of drug dealer's property? No, maybe not. The
    cars would be even more expensive...

    Seeing the cross in the background, maybe a funeral or remembrance
    gathering?

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jul 28, 2008
  8. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    dj_nme wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >> I went to a sort-of-unrelated event today and took quite a few snaps,
    >> some of which I may post later. But isn't it always the way - as I
    >> browsed over the results, the shot that took my eye was just a
    >> careless grab.
    >>
    >> http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_martin.jpg
    >>
    >> Pity about the crop and the just-a-bit-too-obvious flash fill (and
    >> there's some amateurish ps work to eliminate a couple of annoying
    >> items that would have detracted from the mood). Maybe it is just
    >> because I'm a Sean Connery fan that I like it..

    > It's a great photo, so don't be so hard on yourself.
    > The B&W treatment makes the specular highlights from the flash look
    > "right".
    >
    >> Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there
    >> are clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor
    >> cloning - I may fix it up later.. or not.

    > Vintage car club?

    Close enough, points awarded. It was a "Rolls Royce Concours
    d'Elegance", where the proud Roller owners around Brisbane (Qld, Aust)
    got together for a bit of showing off and judging. The Aston just
    happened to be parked outside under trees, and it reminded me of the
    original JB movies..

    I took quite a few shots of the Rollers:
    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_1.jpg
    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_2.jpg
    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_3.jpg
    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_4.jpg
    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_5.jpg

    ...but nothing that I'm particularly happy with. The day was somewhat
    overcast and had that ugly flat light you get sometimes - good for
    portraiture, but not cars.

    Thanks for the comments.

    Mark Thomas, Jul 28, 2008
  9. Mark Thomas

    Jeff R. Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > Close enough, points awarded. It was a "Rolls Royce Concours
    > d'Elegance", where the proud Roller owners around Brisbane (Qld, Aust)
    > got together for a bit of showing off and judging. The Aston just
    > happened to be parked outside under trees, and it reminded me of the
    > original JB movies..

    Hmmm... so the church was a red herring then, huh?
    Sneaky.

    > I took quite a few shots of the Rollers:
    > http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_4.jpg

    Aha!
    Finally a self-portrait of the elusive Mark Thomas!

    Should be enough info there to make a positive ID.

    Dunno if I could own one of those *and* keep any vestiges of sanity. Can
    you imagine parking it in the Coles carpark while you duck in for a carton
    of milk? Imagine the cringing when a B-double roars up next to you on a
    skinny three-lane highway.

    Nup.
    I think I'll stick to less nerve-wracking pursuits - like finally picking up
    a Triumph Bonneville.

    (sigghhhhhh)

    --
    Jeff R.

    Jeff R., Jul 28, 2008
  10. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Jeff R. wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >> Close enough, points awarded. It was a "Rolls Royce Concours
    >> d'Elegance", where the proud Roller owners around Brisbane (Qld, Aust)
    >> got together for a bit of showing off and judging. The Aston just
    >> happened to be parked outside under trees, and it reminded me of the
    >> original JB movies..

    > Hmmm... so the church was a red herring then, huh?
    > Sneaky.

    Yep! I didn't actually take notice of what that building was - I think
    it is a little chapel in the grounds of the venue - Ormiston House.

    Ormiston House is a heritage listed restored home (mansion is probably a
    better word) of one of Qld's original sugar barons.

    >> I took quite a few shots of the Rollers:
    >> http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_4.jpg

    > Aha!
    > Finally a self-portrait of the elusive Mark Thomas!
    >
    > Should be enough info there to make a positive ID.

    Yes, just zoom it right up and you will realise what my highly
    identifiable attribute is - yes - pixellation!!

    > Dunno if I could own one of those *and* keep any vestiges of sanity.

    Exactly. I would make the glib observation that the audience, which
    clearly was mostly owners and RR enthusiasts (of which I am not),
    weren't exactly the happiest looking lot. Just shows that money isn't
    everything. And I watched/listened to a bit of the judging:
    "running a bit rough"
    "yes, one cylinder needs work"
    "the a/c compressor isn't working"
    "last service cost me $3000, hahaha"

    > Imagine the cringing when a B-double roars up next to
    > you on a skinny three-lane highway.

    At least the b-double would feel the bump as it ran over it - with mine,
    he wouldn't even notice..

    > I think I'll stick to less nerve-wracking pursuits - like finally
    > picking up a Triumph Bonneville.

    Forgive the trite treatment (O:, but there was a bike near the Aston..
    Not quite a Bonneville, or even a Harley, just a wannabe:

    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/kawasaki.jpg

    Mark Thomas, Jul 29, 2008
  11. Mark Thomas

    tony cooper Guest

    On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 09:01:54 +1000, Mark Thomas
    <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote:

    >Jeff R. wrote:
    >> Mark Thomas wrote:
    >>> Close enough, points awarded. It was a "Rolls Royce Concours
    >>> d'Elegance", where the proud Roller owners around Brisbane (Qld, Aust)
    >>> got together for a bit of showing off and judging. The Aston just
    >>> happened to be parked outside under trees, and it reminded me of the
    >>> original JB movies..

    >> Hmmm... so the church was a red herring then, huh?
    >> Sneaky.

    >Yep! I didn't actually take notice of what that building was - I think
    >it is a little chapel in the grounds of the venue - Ormiston House.
    >
    >Ormiston House is a heritage listed restored home (mansion is probably a
    >better word) of one of Qld's original sugar barons.
    >
    >>> I took quite a few shots of the Rollers:
    >>> http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/rolls_4.jpg

    >> Aha!
    >> Finally a self-portrait of the elusive Mark Thomas!
    >>
    >> Should be enough info there to make a positive ID.

    >Yes, just zoom it right up and you will realise what my highly
    >identifiable attribute is - yes - pixellation!!
    >
    >> Dunno if I could own one of those *and* keep any vestiges of sanity.

    >Exactly. I would make the glib observation that the audience, which
    >clearly was mostly owners and RR enthusiasts (of which I am not),
    >weren't exactly the happiest looking lot. Just shows that money isn't
    >everything. And I watched/listened to a bit of the judging:
    >"running a bit rough"
    >"yes, one cylinder needs work"
    >"the a/c compressor isn't working"
    >"last service cost me $3000, hahaha"
    >
    >> Imagine the cringing when a B-double roars up next to
    >> you on a skinny three-lane highway.

    >At least the b-double would feel the bump as it ran over it - with mine,
    >he wouldn't even notice..
    >
    >> I think I'll stick to less nerve-wracking pursuits - like finally
    >> picking up a Triumph Bonneville.

    >Forgive the trite treatment (O:, but there was a bike near the Aston..
    >Not quite a Bonneville, or even a Harley, just a wannabe:
    >
    >http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/kawasaki.jpg

    To keep up with the Roller owners, though, you need a Vincent Black
    Shadow fully restored.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Jul 29, 2008
  12. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    tony cooper wrote:
    >>> I think I'll stick to less nerve-wracking pursuits - like finally
    >>> picking up a Triumph Bonneville.

    >> Forgive the trite treatment (O:, but there was a bike near the Aston..
    >> Not quite a Bonneville, or even a Harley, just a wannabe:
    >>
    >> http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/kawasaki.jpg

    > To keep up with the Roller owners, though, you need a Vincent Black
    > Shadow fully restored.

    Had to look that one up...
    http://bikes.drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetail.aspx?ArticleId=10767
    Very cool bike. 151mph in 1948!!

    I'd never go for a Harley, but that...

    Mark Thomas, Jul 29, 2008
  13. "Mark Thomas" <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote in message
    >I went to a sort-of-unrelated event today and took quite a few snaps, some
    >of which I may post later. But isn't it always the way - as I browsed over
    >the results, the shot that took my eye was just a careless grab.
    >
    > http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_martin.jpg
    >
    > Pity about the crop and the just-a-bit-too-obvious flash fill (and there's
    > some amateurish ps work to eliminate a couple of annoying items that would
    > have detracted from the mood). Maybe it is just because I'm a Sean Connery
    > fan that I like it..
    >

    > Bonus points for working out what event I might have been at - there are
    > clues in the image. *No* bonus points for spotting the poor cloning - I
    > may fix it up later.. or not.

    I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as a
    wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in good
    condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is difficult :)
    BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible. lovely photo and
    the plates probably double the value of that particular car :)

    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

    Atheist Chaplain, Jul 29, 2008
  14. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    > I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as a
    > wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in good
    > condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is difficult
    > :)
    > BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible.

    Certainly, AC. Caring and sharing is what it is all about! You can
    even have a choice of mono or colour:
    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_mono.jpg
    http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_colour.jpg

    I confess that rather cursory post-processing was applied to these, hope
    they are ok for your purpose..

    Now I know AC will do the right thing, but for anyone else who downloads
    those images, please don't sell them, ok? (O:

    Thanks for the kind comments, AC.

    Mark Thomas, Jul 29, 2008
  15. "Mark Thomas" <markt@_don't_spam_marktphoto.com> wrote in message
    > Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >> I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as a
    >> wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in good
    >> condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is difficult
    >> :)
    >> BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible.

    > Certainly, AC. Caring and sharing is what it is all about! You can even
    > have a choice of mono or colour:
    > http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_mono.jpg
    > http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_colour.jpg
    >
    > I confess that rather cursory post-processing was applied to these, hope
    > they are ok for your purpose..
    >
    > Now I know AC will do the right thing, but for anyone else who downloads
    > those images, please don't sell them, ok? (O:
    >
    > Thanks for the kind comments, AC.

    you know I think it stands out more as a mono than colour, it ads to the
    character of the car IMHO
    Many thanks Mark, that has immediately gone into the rotation (I use
    Webshots desktop (been a subscriber for many years now)) and this will bring
    a pleasant little surprise when I close a few windows down and the DB5 is
    gleaming back at me :)

    --
    God made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?

    Atheist Chaplain, Jul 29, 2008
  16. Mark Thomas

    D-Mac Guest

    Mark Thomas wrote:
    > Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >> I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as
    >> a wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in
    >> good condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is
    >> difficult :)
    >> BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible.

    > Certainly, AC. Caring and sharing is what it is all about! You can
    > even have a choice of mono or colour:
    > http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_mono.jpg
    > http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_colour.jpg
    >
    > I confess that rather cursory post-processing was applied to these, hope
    > they are ok for your purpose..
    >
    > Now I know AC will do the right thing, but for anyone else who downloads
    > those images, please don't sell them, ok? (O:
    >
    > Thanks for the kind comments, AC.

    Why is all the sky blown out? Shouldn't a man with your (claimed)
    experience have been able to do something about that?

    D-Mac, Jul 30, 2008
  17. Mark Thomas

    Mr.T Guest

    "D-Mac" <> wrote in message
    > Why is all the sky blown out? Shouldn't a man with your (claimed)
    > experience have been able to do something about that?

    And some fill flash or a reflector, or at the very least some contrast
    adjustment in PS.

    MrT.

    Mr.T, Jul 30, 2008
  18. Mark Thomas

    D-Mac Guest

    Mr.T wrote:
    > "D-Mac" <> wrote in message
    >> Why is all the sky blown out? Shouldn't a man with your (claimed)
    >> experience have been able to do something about that?

    > And some fill flash or a reflector, or at the very least some contrast
    > adjustment in PS.
    >
    > MrT.

    I think the real problem is the camera. Most small (read consumer range
    cameras)with CCD sensors simply don't have enough contrast range for
    this sort of shot. I guess there is only so much you can carry on a bike
    but a tripod and HDR would have fixed a static shot like this.

    Mark was using a flash that day, I thing the diffuser he used crippled
    the flash. It simply couldn't output enough power for the job.

    My wife's little Nikon D60 does an amazing job in these situations, out
    performing a 40D Canon and blowing away her previous Panasonic results
    which did exactly the same as Mark's camera does, even with a Metz flash
    to help!

    D-Mac, Jul 30, 2008
  19. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    D-Mac wrote:
    > Mark Thomas wrote:
    >> Atheist Chaplain wrote:
    >>> I have to ask do you have that in something larger so I can use it as
    >>> a wallpaper, I would love to own a DB5 one day, but finding one in
    >>> good condition and priced at something lower than a kings ransom is
    >>> difficult :)
    >>> BTW screen res is 1680 x 1050 if that's at all possible.

    >> Certainly, AC. Caring and sharing is what it is all about! You can
    >> even have a choice of mono or colour:
    >> http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_mono.jpg
    >> http://www.marktphoto.com/examples/aston_colour.jpg
    >>
    >> I confess that rather cursory post-processing was applied to these,
    >> hope they are ok for your purpose..
    >>
    >> Now I know AC will do the right thing, but for anyone else who
    >> downloads those images, please don't sell them, ok? (O:
    >>
    >> Thanks for the kind comments, AC.
    >>

    > Why is all the sky blown out? Shouldn't a man with your (claimed)
    > experience have been able to do something about that?

    I only worry about blown highlights when they show loss of important
    detail. You may think this image is about the sky but many might
    disagree. Getting a reasonable image in such deep shadow without
    overdoing the flash pretty much requires a blown sky, unless it was
    HDR'd. HDR, imo, would have completely ruined the effect.

    But I'm sure you can show us a better similar shot. In fact (and here's
    another free plug!) a quick glance at images 2 and 9 here:
    http://www.douglasjames.com.au/portfolio/weddings/
    ...show just how well *you* can control those skies in similar
    situations! I would suggest a quick check of your own house might be in
    order. Perhaps you can explain the difference? It's ok for you but not me?

    I answered your question... so:

    Where's your Manly panorama?
    Where's the description of me from your fantasy security footage?
    Why did you keep forgetting you were your 'daughter' in your latest
    sockpuppet?
    Why do you (and your sockpuppet) both call printers 'devises'?
    Why do you (and your sockpuppet) both think black' data is carried in
    the green channel of RGB 'devises'? Citation?
    Also, please provide a citation for the court case in which you were
    awarded a copyright 'settlement'.

    Lastly, we are still waiting with baited breath for an address of any of
    your multitudinous printing labs or galleries.

    Over to you, Dougie.

    Mark Thomas, Jul 30, 2008
  20. Mark Thomas

    Mark Thomas Guest

    (Heavens, this is almost sensible... keep it up, Doug)

    D-Mac wrote:
    > I think the real problem is the camera. Most small (read consumer range
    > cameras)with CCD sensors simply don't have enough contrast range for
    > this sort of shot.

    Correct, *if* the intention was, for some reason, to render that very
    small area of sky accurately. Had you read my initial comments, you
    would have noticed that I stated that it was just a grab shot and I was
    suprised to find I like the result.

    But neither would a DSLR have the ability to do this. As I mentioned, a
    quick visit to Doug's gallery here:

    http://www.douglasjames.com.au/portfolio/weddings/

    and a look at images 2 and 9, will show you what I mean. Perhaps Doug
    can explain this apparent dichotomy?

    HDR would be the only way - but here's the rub... Even tho it was just
    a grab shot, it was my intention to get a very low-key, sinister image,
    with the car in deep shadow. The sky was irrelevant to me - tell us
    Doug, why do you think the sky was important? But not in your own
    images 2 and 9 above?

    > I guess there is only so much you can carry on a bike
    > but a tripod and HDR would have fixed a static shot like this.

    Given I was disinterested in the sky, HDR wasn't even a consideration.

    > Mark was using a flash that day

    Correct, I added a small amount of fill to 'sparkle up' the front. Mr T
    obviously hasn't much experience in spotting clues.

    > I thing (sic) the diffuser he used crippled the flash.

    No diffuser. Only a twit would use a diffuser if he was after specular
    highlights.

    > It simply couldn't output enough power for the job.

    No, I dialled it down so it wouldn't look like a harshly lit wedding
    portraits.

    > My wife's little Nikon D60 does an amazing job in these situations, out
    > performing a 40D Canon

    There we go again.

    > and blowing away her previous Panasonic results
    > which did exactly the same as Mark's camera does, even with a Metz flash
    > to help!

    As above, only a twit would use a lot of flash for a shot like that.

    Mark Thomas, Jul 30, 2008