    and the Web links seem to show many many versions of the ISO plus lots of
    other directories and files..

    What a utter waste of time..

    Woger, May 2, 2009

  2. Woger

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Woger" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Ever one stated to get a Simple Lunix, so I thought this one might be
    > helpful
    > in fixing Windows problems..

    *hic*
    Who's round is it?

    Jack Spratt, May 2, 2009

  3. Woger

    Woger Guest

    Here is a list of files on one of the FTP servers, but what one to get that
    will work on my system..?? But what are all the Others..?

    02/09/2006 12:00a.m. 720 1-readme_first.txt
    08/10/2008 12:00a.m. 1,474,560 bootfloppy-utils.img
    08/10/2008 12:00a.m. 55 bootfloppy-utils.img.md5.txt
    07/09/2008 12:00a.m. 1,474,560 bootfloppy.img
    07/09/2008 12:00a.m. 49 bootfloppy.img.md5.txt
    11/18/2008 12:18a.m. 14 current.iso
    11/18/2008 12:18a.m. 46 current.iso.md5.txt
    04/14/2007 12:00a.m. Directory documentation
    08/14/2008 12:00a.m. Directory dsl-3.x
    11/17/2008 11:27p.m. 53,096,634 dsl-4.4.10-embedded.zip
    11/17/2008 11:27p.m. 58 dsl-4.4.10-embedded.zip.md5.txt
    11/17/2008 11:37p.m. 52,654,080 dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso
    11/17/2008 11:37p.m. 56 dsl-4.4.10-initrd.iso.md5.txt
    11/17/2008 11:48p.m. 52,430,848 dsl-4.4.10-syslinux.iso
    11/17/2008 11:48p.m. 58 dsl-4.4.10-syslinux.iso.md5.txt
    11/17/2008 11:59p.m. 51,670,955 dsl-4.4.10-vmx.zip
    11/17/2008 11:59p.m. 53 dsl-4.4.10-vmx.zip.md5.txt
    11/18/2008 12:10a.m. 52,328,448 dsl-4.4.10.iso <<<< This is the one
    I dnloaded

    11/18/2008 12:10a.m. 49 dsl-4.4.10.iso.md5.txt
    03/26/2008 12:00a.m. Directory extra_modules
    09/01/2005 12:00a.m. 2,039 frugal_lite.sh
    11/02/2007 12:00a.m. Directory kernel
    10/24/2007 12:00a.m. 1,474,560 pcmciafloppy.img
    10/24/2007 12:00a.m. 51 pcmciafloppy.img.md5.txt
    04/14/2007 12:00a.m. Directory pdfdocs

    Woger, May 2, 2009
  4. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > Here is a list of files on one of the FTP servers, but what one to get
    > that will work on my system..?? But what are all the Others..?
    >
    > 02/09/2006 12:00a.m. 720 1-readme_first.txt

    Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents of
    that little file for you:

    There are currently four types of DSL....

    dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for liveCD,
    frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    dsl-<version>-syslinux.iso: boots using syslinux instead of isolinux,
    used for some very old hardware that is no longer supported by isolinux.
    Use syslinux version if booting fails with the standard iso.

    dsl-<version>-embedded.zip: comes with qemu, for running inside of a host
    Windows or Linux system.

    dsl-<version>-vmx.zip: a virtual machine that will run in VMware or
    VMware player.

    frugal_lite.sh is our network install script and requires tomsrtbt linux:
    http://www.toms.net/rb/

    Docs are located in the pdfdocs/ directory and in the DSL Wiki

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 2, 2009
  5. Woger

    AD. Guest

    On May 2, 8:09 pm, Woger <> wrote:
    > What a utter waste of time..

    Yeah - think of all the time instead that you could've spent further
    destroying the infested Windows machine you've been trying to fix for
    weeks now.

    Anyone that cared the slightest about wasting time would've just
    reinstalled it long before now, and then put some of that saved effort
    into keeping it secure. Do you not have legal install media / recovery
    disks or something?

    I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping to find in Linux that will
    help you - as far as I know there is no automatic "Unf*ck my Windows
    partition" wizard.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 2, 2009
  6. Woger

    Mike Dee Guest

    "Jack Spratt" <pickledpork@_nospam_gmail.com> wrote:

    > "Woger" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> Ever one stated to get a Simple Lunix, so I thought this one
    >> might be helpful
    >> in fixing Windows problems..

    > *hic*
    > Who's round is it?

    SshWogers I could'a sshworn, *hic* :)

    --
    dee

    Mike Dee, May 2, 2009
  7. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 2 May 2009 01:46:47 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <> wrote:

    >On May 2, 8:09 pm, Woger <> wrote:
    >> What a utter waste of time..

    >Yeah - think of all the time instead that you could've spent further
    >destroying the infested Windows machine you've been trying to fix for
    >weeks now.
    >
    >Anyone that cared the slightest about wasting time would've just
    >reinstalled it long before now, and then put some of that saved effort
    >into keeping it secure. Do you not have legal install media / recovery
    >disks or something?
    >
    >I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping to find in Linux that will
    >help you - as far as I know there is no automatic "Unf*ck my Windows
    >partition" wizard.

    There is NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH MY PC as I KNOW how TO FIX THEM, I would
    like the option to delete the Windows and shared directory when its needed..

    So think before you make such a silly comment again..

    Woger, May 2, 2009
  8. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sat, 02 May 2009 22:57:16 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here is a list of files on one of the FTP servers, but what one to get
    >>> that will work on my system..?? But what are all the Others..?
    >>>
    >>> 02/09/2006 12:00a.m. 720 1-readme_first.txt

    >>Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents of
    >>that little file for you:
    >>
    >>There are currently four types of DSL....
    >>
    >>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for liveCD,
    >>frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    >That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    >Sound card Video card, do I have to try and install Drivers for this to work
    >this is a P4 3.2 with 2 G Ram, Intel 875P chipset, Creative sound card and
    >Nvidia video card..
    >

    >Ie Pages and pages of info with questions and then lots of error lines and
    >then the PC alarm..
    >
    >Note: I am not a Command Line idiot so please don't ask me to add lots of line
    >stuff.
    >

    >>dsl-<version>-syslinux.iso: boots using syslinux instead of isolinux,
    >>used for some very old hardware that is no longer supported by isolinux.
    >>Use syslinux version if booting fails with the standard iso.
    >>
    >>dsl-<version>-embedded.zip: comes with qemu, for running inside of a host
    >>Windows or Linux system.
    >>
    >>dsl-<version>-vmx.zip: a virtual machine that will run in VMware or
    >>VMware player.
    >>
    >>frugal_lite.sh is our network install script and requires tomsrtbt linux:
    >>http://www.toms.net/rb/
    >>
    >>Docs are located in the pdfdocs/ directory and in the DSL Wiki

    Is there any way I can save the boot log or Print its it runs ok for a few
    pages then list some stuff then goes in a massive list of IO ? errors,

    I would like to trap what is gong on before all the Errors, Is there a paging
    or pores option.

    The documented option are totally useless as it does not give you info on the
    booting sequence or errors..

    Woger, May 2, 2009
  9. Woger

    Murray Symon Guest

    Woger wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here is a list of files on one of the FTP servers, but what one to get
    >>> that will work on my system..?? But what are all the Others..?
    >>>
    >>> 02/09/2006 12:00a.m. 720 1-readme_first.txt

    >>Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents
    >>of that little file for you:
    >>
    >>There are currently four types of DSL....
    >>
    >>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for
    >>liveCD, frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    > That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    > Sound card Video card, do I have to try and install Drivers for this to
    > work this is a P4 3.2 with 2 G Ram, Intel 875P chipset, Creative sound
    > card and
    > Nvidia video card..
    >

    > Ie Pages and pages of info with questions and then lots of error lines
    > and then the PC alarm..
    >
    > Note: I am not a Command Line idiot so please don't ask me to add lots of
    > line stuff.

    DSL's boot up and hardware detection is pretty much automatic.
    I have been using 4.4.10 lately, on some old laptops.
    It detects and runs most common hardware without any intervention.
    I just usually hit 'ENTER' at the boot prompt for the default boot.
    Are you entering boot options (if so, what?), or just the default?
    What are the questions it is asking? - I don't recall seeing any.

    Lots of IO errors may mean the CDROM drive is having trouble reading
    the CD - I have seen that with dodgy CD-ROM drives on old PCs.

    Did you verify the download image with its MD5 checksum before burning?
    Try the CD in another PC to see if you get similar results.

    Does it end up with a command prompt, or locked up with something
    like a kernel "OOPS" dump?

    If it leaves you at a command prompt you can view the boot messages
    by typing "dmesg" (or "dmesg | more" for paged output). The logs
    should be in /var/log/ (can't confirm as not on DSL right now).

    HTH,
    Murray.

    Murray Symon, May 3, 2009
  10. Woger

    Cima Guest

    On Sat, 02 May 2009 23:00:24 +1200, Woger <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 2 May 2009 01:46:47 -0700 (PDT), "AD." <> wrote:
    >
    >>On May 2, 8:09 pm, Woger <> wrote:
    >>> What a utter waste of time..

    >>Yeah - think of all the time instead that you could've spent further
    >>destroying the infested Windows machine you've been trying to fix for
    >>weeks now.
    >>
    >>Anyone that cared the slightest about wasting time would've just
    >>reinstalled it long before now, and then put some of that saved effort
    >>into keeping it secure. Do you not have legal install media / recovery
    >>disks or something?
    >>
    >>I'm not exactly sure what you're hoping to find in Linux that will
    >>help you - as far as I know there is no automatic "Unf*ck my Windows
    >>partition" wizard.

    >There is NOTHING AT ALL WRONG WITH MY PC as I KNOW how TO FIX THEM, I would
    >like the option to delete the Windows and shared directory when its needed..

    UBCD4WIN might be easier. It has a good "explorer"-type app that can show hidden
    malware files that aren't seen in XP, even with "show hidden files" on. Plus you
    can custom build it with latest anti-malware definitions for scanning/removal,
    edit the registry and a whole lot more.
    http://www.ubcd4win.com/

    Cima, May 3, 2009
  11. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for
    >>liveCD, frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    > That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    > Sound card Video card ...

    I tried it for myself on my Shuttle SN25P, and I didn't seem to get as far
    as you. It says it can't find the "KNOPPIX" system, and stops at a prompt,
    but oddly my keyboard no longer works, even though I could type at the
    previous boot prompt. This happened with a few different boot options I
    tried.

    It turns out there's another alternative version, called "dsl-4.4.10-
    initrd.iso", which is not mentioned in the readme. I compared the two, and
    the difference seems to be that the former mounts the OS from a compressed
    loopback filesystem stored on the CD as a file called "KNOPPIX", while the
    latter loads it all into a RAMdisk.

    I had some better luck with the latter: I was able to boot (without it
    asking lots of questions) and get to the GUI desktop--cute. Then I
    discovered it runs a 2.4 kernel, which is only about 5 years out of date. I
    know they're trying to keep the size down, but I prefer some of the nice
    little extras of a 2.6 kernel...

    May I recommend you try something else? Maybe an Ubuntu live CD/DVD...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 3, 2009
  12. Woger

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-05-02, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> Here is a list of files on one of the FTP servers, but what one to get
    >> that will work on my system..?? But what are all the Others..?
    >>
    >> 02/09/2006 12:00a.m. 720 1-readme_first.txt

    > Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents of
    > that little file for you:
    >
    > There are currently four types of DSL....
    >
    > dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for liveCD,
    > frugal, or traditional harddrive install.
    >
    > dsl-<version>-syslinux.iso: boots using syslinux instead of isolinux,
    > used for some very old hardware that is no longer supported by isolinux.
    > Use syslinux version if booting fails with the standard iso.
    >
    > dsl-<version>-embedded.zip: comes with qemu, for running inside of a host
    > Windows or Linux system.
    >
    > dsl-<version>-vmx.zip: a virtual machine that will run in VMware or
    > VMware player.
    >
    > frugal_lite.sh is our network install script and requires tomsrtbt linux:
    > http://www.toms.net/rb/
    >
    > Docs are located in the pdfdocs/ directory and in the DSL Wiki

    Yep Woger is right. Not one track simple.

    BTW Tiny Core Linux will have people thinking, four types there from the
    core.

    Gordon, May 3, 2009
  13. Woger

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-05-02, Woger <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    ><_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >>In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here is a list of files on one of the FTP servers, but what one to get
    >>> that will work on my system..?? But what are all the Others..?
    >>>
    >>> 02/09/2006 12:00a.m. 720 1-readme_first.txt

    >>Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents of
    >>that little file for you:
    >>
    >>There are currently four types of DSL....
    >>
    >>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for liveCD,
    >>frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    > That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    > Sound card Video card, do I have to try and install Drivers for this to work
    > this is a P4 3.2 with 2 G Ram, Intel 875P chipset, Creative sound card and
    > Nvidia video card..
    >

    > Ie Pages and pages of info with questions and then lots of error lines and
    > then the PC alarm..
    >
    > Note: I am not a Command Line idiot so please don't ask me to add lots of line
    > stuff.
    >

    >>dsl-<version>-syslinux.iso: boots using syslinux instead of isolinux,
    >>used for some very old hardware that is no longer supported by isolinux.
    >>Use syslinux version if booting fails with the standard iso.
    >>
    >>dsl-<version>-embedded.zip: comes with qemu, for running inside of a host
    >>Windows or Linux system.
    >>
    >>dsl-<version>-vmx.zip: a virtual machine that will run in VMware or
    >>VMware player.
    >>
    >>frugal_lite.sh is our network install script and requires tomsrtbt linux:
    >>http://www.toms.net/rb/
    >>
    >>Docs are located in the pdfdocs/ directory and in the DSL Wiki

    Then Roger, may I suggest that you back out right now. Damn Small Linux is
    about being *samll*. As any vertically challanged person will tell you small
    requires skill to get things done

    Gordon, May 3, 2009
  14. Woger

    Murray Symon Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Woger wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >>>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for
    >>>liveCD, frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    >> That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    >> Sound card Video card ...

    > I tried it for myself on my Shuttle SN25P, and I didn't seem to get as far
    > as you. It says it can't find the "KNOPPIX" system, and stops at a prompt,
    > but oddly my keyboard no longer works, even though I could type at the
    > previous boot prompt. This happened with a few different boot options I
    > tried.
    >
    > It turns out there's another alternative version, called "dsl-4.4.10-
    > initrd.iso", which is not mentioned in the readme. I compared the two, and
    > the difference seems to be that the former mounts the OS from a compressed
    > loopback filesystem stored on the CD as a file called "KNOPPIX", while the
    > latter loads it all into a RAMdisk.
    >
    > I had some better luck with the latter: I was able to boot (without it
    > asking lots of questions) and get to the GUI desktop--cute. Then I
    > discovered it runs a 2.4 kernel, which is only about 5 years out of date.
    > I know they're trying to keep the size down, but I prefer some of the nice
    > little extras of a 2.6 kernel...

    The 2.4 kernel is to keep memory usage low, as is the choice of certain
    applications (e.g. Dillo browser and Sylpheed email) with low memory
    footprints. They used to use Fluxbox, but now the default seems to be
    "JWM" which looks a bit like the Win95 GUI. I had DSL 4.4.10 running
    recently on an IBM Thinkpad 380 (Pentium MMX) with only 48 MBytes of RAM.

    Murray.

    Murray Symon, May 3, 2009
  15. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sun, 03 May 2009 13:55:23 +1200, Murray Symon
    <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents
    >>>of that little file for you:
    >>>
    >>>There are currently four types of DSL....
    >>>
    >>>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for
    >>>liveCD, frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    >> That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    >> Sound card Video card, do I have to try and install Drivers for this to
    >> work this is a P4 3.2 with 2 G Ram, Intel 875P chipset, Creative sound
    >> card and
    >> Nvidia video card..
    >>

    >> Ie Pages and pages of info with questions and then lots of error lines
    >> and then the PC alarm..
    >>
    >> Note: I am not a Command Line idiot so please don't ask me to add lots of
    >> line stuff.

    >DSL's boot up and hardware detection is pretty much automatic.
    >I have been using 4.4.10 lately, on some old laptops.
    >It detects and runs most common hardware without any intervention.
    >I just usually hit 'ENTER' at the boot prompt for the default boot.
    >Are you entering boot options (if so, what?), or just the default?
    >What are the questions it is asking? - I don't recall seeing any.
    >
    >Lots of IO errors may mean the CDROM drive is having trouble reading
    >the CD - I have seen that with dodgy CD-ROM drives on old PCs.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Newish Pioneer DL Burner, but I have 2 more drives I can use., also used a
    Verbatim brand CD..

    >Did you verify the download image with its MD5 checksum before burning?

    No..

    >Try the CD in another PC to see if you get similar results.

    Will do.

    >Does it end up with a command prompt, or locked up with something
    >like a kernel "OOPS" dump?

    No Blank screen with the PC Alarm full on..

    Woger, May 3, 2009
  16. Woger

    Enkidu Guest

    You have something wrong with your hardware if booting off a ISO causes
    the alarms to go off. By the way, what was wrong with "current.iso"
    which is most likely 4.4.10.

    I've booted a DSL iso on an old desktop, a new laptop, several large
    servers, under VMWare and they all just worked. I don't think I tried it
    under Xen.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 3, 2009
  17. Woger

    Enkidu Guest

    Woger wrote:
    > On Sat, 02 May 2009 22:57:16 +1200, Woger <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>> Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents of
    >>> that little file for you:
    >>>
    >>> There are currently four types of DSL....
    >>>
    >>> dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for liveCD,
    >>> frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    >> That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    >> Sound card Video card, do I have to try and install Drivers for this to work
    >> this is a P4 3.2 with 2 G Ram, Intel 875P chipset, Creative sound card and
    >> Nvidia video card..
    >>

    >> Ie Pages and pages of info with questions and then lots of error lines and
    >> then the PC alarm..
    >>
    >> Note: I am not a Command Line idiot so please don't ask me to add lots of line
    >> stuff.
    >>

    >>> dsl-<version>-syslinux.iso: boots using syslinux instead of isolinux,
    >>> used for some very old hardware that is no longer supported by isolinux.
    >>> Use syslinux version if booting fails with the standard iso.
    >>>
    >>> dsl-<version>-embedded.zip: comes with qemu, for running inside of a host
    >>> Windows or Linux system.
    >>>
    >>> dsl-<version>-vmx.zip: a virtual machine that will run in VMware or
    >>> VMware player.
    >>>
    >>> frugal_lite.sh is our network install script and requires tomsrtbt linux:
    >>> http://www.toms.net/rb/
    >>>
    >>> Docs are located in the pdfdocs/ directory and in the DSL Wiki
    >>>

    > Is there any way I can save the boot log or Print its it runs ok for a few
    > pages then list some stuff then goes in a massive list of IO ? errors,

    If you have IO errors booting from the CD there are problems with the
    CD. If you can't burn a bootable CD that works then there is likely
    something wrong with your CD burner.

    Booting from the CD doesn't touch the hard disk, so the problem must be
    with the CD.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, May 3, 2009
  18. Woger

    Woger Guest

    On Sun, 3 May 2009 17:40:02 +1200, "Trueone" <> wrote:

    >"Woger" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Ever one stated to get a Simple Lunix, so I thought this one might be
    >> helpful
    >> in fixing Windows problems..
    >>
    >> D.S.L 4.4.3
    >>

    >> Burnt it onto a CD but it would not even boot so made another copy onto a
    >> better brand of CD, that booted but what a utter Mess totally killed my
    >> PC
    >> with the alarm full on..
    >>
    >> Seems to me you need to have a science degree to play with this stuff, or
    >> brain of a nuter.
    >>
    >> I don't know if V4.4.10 is any better there does not seem a manual at
    >> all
    >> and the Web links seem to show many many versions of the ISO plus lots of
    >> other directories and files..
    >>
    >> What a utter waste of time..
    >>

    >easy fix. load Vista or Ubuntu 8.10. problem solved.

    This was supposed to be a Simple Tool and NOT TO REPLACE XP, don't you read
    the Net about the Utter Crap VISTA..

    Woger, May 3, 2009
  19. Woger

    <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents
    >>>of that little file for you:
    >>>
    >>>There are currently four types of DSL....
    >>>
    >>>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for
    >>>liveCD, frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    >> That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    >> Sound card Video card, do I have to try and install Drivers for this to
    >> work this is a P4 3.2 with 2 G Ram, Intel 875P chipset, Creative sound
    >> card and
    >> Nvidia video card..
    >>

    >> Ie Pages and pages of info with questions and then lots of error lines
    >> and then the PC alarm..
    >>
    >> Note: I am not a Command Line idiot so please don't ask me to add lots of
    >> line stuff.

    >DSL's boot up and hardware detection is pretty much automatic.
    >I have been using 4.4.10 lately, on some old laptops.
    >It detects and runs most common hardware without any intervention.
    >I just usually hit 'ENTER' at the boot prompt for the default boot.
    >Are you entering boot options (if so, what?), or just the default?
    >What are the questions it is asking? - I don't recall seeing any.
    >
    >Lots of IO errors may mean the CDROM drive is having trouble reading
    >the CD - I have seen that with dodgy CD-ROM drives on old PCs.

    Used another drive same results

    >Did you verify the download image with its MD5 checksum before burning?
    >Try the CD in another PC to see if you get similar results.

    Yes OK..

    >Does it end up with a command prompt, or locked up with something
    >like a kernel "OOPS" dump?
    >
    >If it leaves you at a command prompt you can view the boot messages
    >by typing "dmesg" (or "dmesg | more" for paged output). The logs
    >should be in /var/log/ (can't confirm as not on DSL right now).
    >
    >HTH,
    >Murray.

    Pages of IO errors seems to be after the message network connected, but its to
    fast to really tell.

    MoBo uses a Intel Lan port.. PRO/1000 CT Network Connection.

    Woger, May 3, 2009
  20. Woger

    <> wrote:

    >Woger wrote:
    >
    >> On Sat, 02 May 2009 20:21:34 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    >> <_zealand> wrote:

    >>>Did you do what the filename said? Here, let me post the entire contents
    >>>of that little file for you:
    >>>
    >>>There are currently four types of DSL....
    >>>
    >>>dsl-<version>.iso: the standard isolinux version, which is used for
    >>>liveCD, frugal, or traditional harddrive install.

    >> That is the version I am trying to run but it asks a lot of question like
    >> Sound card Video card, do I have to try and install Drivers for this to
    >> work this is a P4 3.2 with 2 G Ram, Intel 875P chipset, Creative sound
    >> card and
    >> Nvidia video card..
    >>

    >> Ie Pages and pages of info with questions and then lots of error lines
    >> and then the PC alarm..
    >>
    >> Note: I am not a Command Line idiot so please don't ask me to add lots of
    >> line stuff.

    >DSL's boot up and hardware detection is pretty much automatic.
    >I have been using 4.4.10 lately, on some old laptops.
    >It detects and runs most common hardware without any intervention.
    >I just usually hit 'ENTER' at the boot prompt for the default boot.
    >Are you entering boot options (if so, what?), or just the default?
    >What are the questions it is asking? - I don't recall seeing any.
    >
    >Lots of IO errors may mean the CDROM drive is having trouble reading
    >the CD - I have seen that with dodgy CD-ROM drives on old PCs.
    >
    >Did you verify the download image with its MD5 checksum before burning?
    >Try the CD in another PC to see if you get similar results.
    >
    >Does it end up with a command prompt, or locked up with something
    >like a kernel "OOPS" dump?
    >
    >If it leaves you at a command prompt you can view the boot messages
    >by typing "dmesg" (or "dmesg | more" for paged output). The logs
    >should be in /var/log/ (can't confirm as not on DSL right now).
    >
    >HTH,
    >Murray.

    Well Slax works 100% running of a USB Stick, there seems to be know easy way
    to run DSL from a stick, as if selection the F3 install command and the 5 it
    does not like my stick you have to give it lots of info and have to partition
    it, the only other was is you must be running Lunix to place in on a USB
    stick, with a big batch of command lines..

    SLAX supports a USB stick with a file dnload option and a simple BAT file,
    works 100%..

    Do what is wrong with DSL and why can't they make it run from a Stick..?

    Woger, May 3, 2009