    occasion.

    Thank you for any advice.

    Rob Martin
    Rob Martin, Nov 18, 2006

  2. Rob Martin

    bmoag Guest

    They might think they could but there is no way, presuming the image is
    processed and printed appropriately.
    The only important issue is whether you would feel you are missing anything
    by not lugging a dSLR/lens wherever you are trekking.
    I have settled on a dSLR with 18-200 lens for my last few Asian/European
    treks and although this is a minimalist gear set it is still quite large and
    heavy to tote.
    bmoag, Nov 18, 2006

  3. Rob Martin wrote:
    > Could any of the experts eyes here really pick the difference in an
    > 8x10" color print from a Lumix FZ50 and Nikon D80? If so, what might
    > those differences be, and how acute?
    >
    > Let's assume a Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens versus the Lumix IS lens, but
    > only within their overlapping focal lengths. And also disregard any
    > features not common to both. IOW I am interested only in the relative
    > print quality under identical camera and lens settings.
    >
    > I am a semi-pro going overseas and hoping to downsize for the
    > occasion.
    >
    > Thank you for any advice.
    >
    > Rob Martin

    Rob,
    For normal photographs in great light and plenty of light
    (e.g. shooting at ISO 100), and no extremes in dynamic range,
    it would probably be hard to tell the difference. But
    as light levels fall and dynamic range increases, the
    differences will become apparent. If you post process your
    images and dodge and burn (semi pro I would expect you do this),
    then you would see a difference: shadows have more noise on the
    small pixel FZ50, and highlights slightly more noise too.

    The FZ50 has a pixel pitch of only 1.97 microns whereas
    the D80 has 6.1 micron pixel pitch. Why does this matter?
    Compare the Canon S70 (2.3 micron pixel pitch) to the D200
    (6.1 micron pitch and same sensor as the D80) at:

    Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
    Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/does.pixel.size.matter

    (In particular examine Figure 6 for low light sensitivity/high
    iso performance and Figure 7 for dynamic range).

    More data at:
    Digital Camera Sensor Performance Summary
    http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance

    Roger
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 18, 2006
  4. Rob Martin

    J. Clarke Guest

    On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 09:11:26 +1100, Rob Martin wrote:

    > Could any of the experts eyes here really pick the difference in an
    > 8x10" color print from a Lumix FZ50 and Nikon D80? If so, what might
    > those differences be, and how acute?
    >
    > Let's assume a Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens versus the Lumix IS lens, but
    > only within their overlapping focal lengths. And also disregard any
    > features not common to both. IOW I am interested only in the relative
    > print quality under identical camera and lens settings.
    >
    > I am a semi-pro going overseas and hoping to downsize for the occasion.
    >
    > Thank you for any advice.

    I don't have the Nikon or the FZ50, but I do have a 30D and an FZ7 and can
    venture some opinions based on my experience with those that might
    be relevant.

    Whether there will be a noticeable difference depends on the
    subject matter and the lighting. At low ISOs, with the subject at a
    reasonable distance from the camera and with no subject movement they
    should give pretty close to the same result. At equivalent settings as
    you increase the ISO the FZ will be showing more noise--whether it will be
    noticeable depends on the subject--the 50 is supposed to be much better
    than the FZ7 and the FZ30 but there should still be a noticeable
    difference with low-contrast subjects and subjects with a lot of detail.
    According to the DPreview test the timings on the FZ50 are in the same
    ballpark as for the FZ7, with some on the 50 being a little longer. I've
    missed shots due to the lag between full press and shoot on the FZ7 that
    I'd have gotten with the 30D--the same should be true on the FZ50 vs the
    D80. With close subjects you'll get different depth of field with the FZ
    and the Nikon--again whether that's noticeable depends on the subject.

    --
    X:\Newsreaders\sig.txt
    J. Clarke, Nov 19, 2006
  5. On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 09:11:26 +1100, Rob Martin <> wrote:
    > Could any of the experts eyes here really pick the difference in an
    > 8x10" color print from a Lumix FZ50 and Nikon D80? If so, what might
    > those differences be, and how acute?
    >
    > Let's assume a Nikkor 18-200mm VR lens versus the Lumix IS lens, but
    > only within their overlapping focal lengths. And also disregard any
    > features not common to both. IOW I am interested only in the relative
    > print quality under identical camera and lens settings.
    >
    > I am a semi-pro going overseas and hoping to downsize for the
    > occasion.

    At ISO100, probably not.
    At ISO800, most definitely.

    The big sensor on the Nikon gives you a much cleaner picture at high
    ISOs; the flip side of that is that it requires a bigger body/lens.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Nov 19, 2006
  6. Rob Martin

    Cgiorgio Guest

    The FZ-50 performance really is not that bad when you shoot in RAW mode and
    do the postprocessing on a PC. Drawbacks are that the files (raw + .jpg)
    occupy roughly 20 MB for each picture and it takes about 4 seconds until you
    are ready to take the next shot. Still it would be a lot less weight to
    carry a FZ-50 and a high capacity "image tank" then a DSLR and assorted
    lenses.

    Cgiorgio, Nov 19, 2006
  7. Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Nov 19, 2006
  8. Rob Martin

    Pete D Guest

    "bmoag" <> wrote in message
    > They might think they could but there is no way, presuming the image is
    > processed and printed appropriately.
    > The only important issue is whether you would feel you are missing
    > anything by not lugging a dSLR/lens wherever you are trekking.
    > I have settled on a dSLR with 18-200 lens for my last few Asian/European
    > treks and although this is a minimalist gear set it is still quite large
    > and heavy to tote.

    The point here really is that you wouldn't want to take the photo with the
    FZ50 in the first place, the handling is bloody aweful, I would rather poke
    my eyes out than have to use that EVF..
    Pete D, Nov 19, 2006