    I guess a third could be the price, as it approaches the price of the
    Canon G6, which may be a better camera in terms of image quality.

    Any comments?

    Mike Henley, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Mike Henley

    Peter Guest

    On 25 Oct 2004 09:45:59 -0700, Mike Henley wrote:

    > It looks like this may be next camera. It meets almost all my
    > requirements. The only two things that made me a little hesitant are
    > 1) the size, it's such a hunk 2) i read about the noise issues, any
    > information about that? (it seems that Image stabilization is
    > effectively a higher iso as it would allow me to use and handhold a
    > 3-4 lower shutter speed)
    >
    > I guess a third could be the price, as it approaches the price of the
    > Canon G6, which may be a better camera in terms of image quality.
    >
    > Any comments?

    Mike:

    I have an FZ10, which is very similar to the FZ20.

    I don't have any problem with the size or weight, and I'm sure you give up
    something important if you go for a smaller cam. For example, OIS or f/2.8
    over the full zoom range.

    The mechanics are a lot quieter than my older Oly C720, and you can set the
    beeps loud, quiet or off. I consider it a quiet camera.

    As for the price, it's a lot of camera for US$499.

    I discuss these and many other issues in my review of the 2 cameras here...

    http://www.seanet.com/~pgm/panasonic/

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

    Need to resize images for email attachments or web pages?
    Try Jpeg Sizer at: http://www.tangotools.com?s=ng

    Peter, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Mike Henley

    swingman Guest

    There's a lot of talk about the FZ20 in the panasonic forum at www.dpreview.com Based on handling the FZ20 at Circuit City and everything I've read, I feel it's a great camera for the money. The "noise issues" seem blown out of proportion. Can't comment on how it compares to the G6, though.

    swingman, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Mike Henley wrote:
    > It looks like this may be next camera. It meets almost all my
    > requirements. The only two things that made me a little hesitant are
    > 1) the size, it's such a hunk 2) i read about the noise issues, any
    > information about that? (it seems that Image stabilization is
    > effectively a higher iso as it would allow me to use and handhold a
    > 3-4 lower shutter speed)
    >
    > I guess a third could be the price, as it approaches the price of the
    > Canon G6, which may be a better camera in terms of image quality.
    >
    > Any comments?

    Just got one and I'm delighted with it. Size and weight is not an issue -
    it's about the same size as my Nikon 5700 and that's a size I'm
    comfortable with. See how well it fits in your hands. The weight is
    about the same as well - you need a little mass to help stabilise the
    432mm zoom even with the image stabilisation enabled (which seems to work,
    by the way). I have no problems with noise, but I think the whole noise
    issue is blown out of all proportion.

    Can't comment on the Canon G6 - as it lacks both the zoom and image
    stabilisation it doesn't meet the same user requirements.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Mike Henley

    Sabineellen Guest

    >The mechanics are a lot quieter than my older Oly C720, and you can set the
    >beeps loud, quiet or off. I consider it a quiet camera

    By noise i meant image noise :)

    The little dirty artifacts you see in the image at higher ISOs and sometimes,
    in some cameras, even at low ISOs too.

    Sabineellen, Oct 25, 2004
  6. got an fz20 and am only partially pleased with it. image stabilisation works
    only up to a point, but often gives you a 2 to 3 extra ev stops. as for
    size, it is not so much of a hunk, compared with most of the professional
    stuff (my oly e-20 weighs twice as much, but then I grew up on film slrs).
    if you major concern is picture quality, by all means go for it: the lens is
    hard to beat!

    Yehuda Paradise, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Mike Henley

    grenner Guest

    I love mine, it is the best of the fixed lens types I have used so far. I
    primaily use a D300 but the Panasonic really does well with Macro. I find
    no real image noise problem and the IS system is excellent at the telephoto
    end as well as when using it with macro. I simply leave it on all the time.

    As with most long zooms on a fixed lens camera you do get some haze around
    edges at full zoom. The size and weight is very comfortable for me and I
    find the ergonomics good.

    Greg

    grenner, Oct 26, 2004