    people been with their FZs?

    Thanks in advance,

    db (ex Olympus C-2100 UZ owner)
    Dave Brown, Oct 3, 2003

  2. I'm very happy with my FZ2

    José Carlos Carvalho, Oct 3, 2003

  3. (Dave Brown) wrote:

    >Just saw the announcement of the FZ10 at 4mp and 12x Leica zoom I am
    >very serious about buying one of these. I would like to hear from
    >anyone that has the predecessors to this new camera. How happy have
    >people been with their FZs?

    Dave,

    quite happy with the FZ1 (see samples at
    http://www.michna.com/kenya2003/). It has only 2 Megapixel and
    it doesn't work in low light conditions like at night. Otherwise
    it's a near-perfect camera for me.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 3, 2003
  4. (Dave Brown) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Just saw the announcement of the FZ10 at 4mp and 12x Leica zoom I am
    > very serious about buying one of these. I would like to hear from
    > anyone that has the predecessors to this new camera. How happy have
    > people been with their FZs?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > db (ex Olympus C-2100 UZ owner)

    You are the only guys talking about these shitty Panasonic cameras.
    They suck my fucking cock.
    The Sperminator, Oct 3, 2003
  5. Dave Brown

    NJ Guest

    Very happy with my FZ1 and if I had the $$$ I would buy a FZ10 as soon as
    it comes out. I guess by the time I have the $$$ There will be a better
    edition out there :)

    NJ, Oct 3, 2003
  6. NJ <> wrote:

    >Very happy with my FZ1 and if I had the $$$ I would buy a FZ10 as soon as
    >it comes out. I guess by the time I have the $$$ There will be a better
    >edition out there :)

    That's probably what I will do if I can sell my FZ1 for a good
    price.

    By the way, somebody wrote here that the FZ10 is much bigger
    than the FZ1 or the FZ2, but I don't think that's true. It seems
    to me that all three cameras are of the same size, perhaps with
    only a slightly different shape for the FZ10.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 3, 2003
  7. In article <>, The
    Sperminator <> wrote:

    > You are the only guys talking about these shitty Panasonic cameras.
    > They suck my fucking cock.

    I guess you must really like them, eh?

    Godfrey
    Godfrey DiGiorgi, Oct 3, 2003
  8. Dave Brown

    Joanne Guest

    I've had the FZ1 for a couple of months and I love it. Here are some pics I
    took with it on vacation last week in Cape Cod:

    http://www.joannesplace.com/albums/ptown/index.html

    http://www.joannesplace.com/albums/whales/index.html

    I never print larger than 8x10 - most of my photos are for web sites or
    burned to CD - so 2mp is plenty for me. I researched for several months
    looking for the "perfect camera", the FZ1 has about 98% of what I wanted
    (wouldn't mind another mp!).

    I was excited about the FZ10 announcement, but unfortunately the camera is
    too large for my purposes. The FZ1 is very compact, lightweight and easy to
    carry around all day long. If the FZ2 is released in the US, or if they
    come out with a 3mp version similar in size to the FZ1, I will upgrade at
    that time.

    Joanne, Oct 3, 2003
  9. Dave Brown

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    > NJ <> wrote:
    >
    > >Very happy with my FZ1 and if I had the $$$ I would buy a FZ10 as soon as
    > >it comes out. I guess by the time I have the $$$ There will be a better
    > >edition out there :)

    > That's probably what I will do if I can sell my FZ1 for a good
    > price.
    >
    > By the way, somebody wrote here that the FZ10 is much bigger
    > than the FZ1 or the FZ2, but I don't think that's true.

    That may have been me. I looked at the image at
    http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/...start=25&sid=bd3f2765daccdd1090b18f4ec837ea5a

    Maybe the colour difference or the angle of the shot makes a difference
    but it looks quite a lot bigger to me.

    If it uses *exactly* the same lens, then the picture is an optical illusion!

    The picture of it with the wide angle adaptor looks like it was taken
    with a wide angle lens and it looks enormous !

    Ah! halfway down the page there are some dimensions (all these are approx)

    3.43 x 5.45 x 4.16 inch = 87 x 138 x 106 mm 19 ounces
    The FZ1/2 is 70 x 114 x 83 mm 11 ounces

    Barry
    --
    To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated but not be able to say it.
    Barry Smith, Oct 4, 2003
  10. Dave Brown

    Trevor S Guest

    (The Sperminator) wrote in

    > (Dave Brown) wrote in message
    >> Just saw the announcement of the FZ10 at 4mp and 12x Leica zoom I am
    >> very serious about buying one of these. I would like to hear from
    >> anyone that has the predecessors to this new camera. How happy have
    >> people been with their FZs?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> db (ex Olympus C-2100 UZ owner)

    > You are the only guys talking about these shitty Panasonic cameras.
    > They suck my fucking cock.

    I didn't realise Panasonic had added this feature to their cameras :) I
    WILL have to investigate furthur !

    --
    Trevor S

    -Albert Einstein
    Trevor S, Oct 4, 2003
  11. Barry Smith <> wrote:

    >In message <>
    > Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    >> By the way, somebody wrote here that the FZ10 is much bigger
    >> than the FZ1 or the FZ2, but I don't think that's true.

    >That may have been me. I looked at the image at
    >http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/...start=25&sid=bd3f2765daccdd1090b18f4ec837ea5a

    Barry,

    I have to retract. The FZ10 is bigger than the FZ1. Reference:

    http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...d=11056&modelNo=DMC-FZ10K&surfModel=DMC-FZ10K

    By the way, the FZ10 also uses a fatter battery, 1400 mAh, about
    twice the capacity of that of the FZ1. It probably needs it for
    the bigger sensor and perhaps a bigger processor as well.

    This probably means that I will stand back and stick to my FZ1
    for the time being.

    I suspect they use a bigger lens because they have to use a
    bigger sensor, something like a linear enlargement of the FZ1.

    I will think about it, but I already have a filter and a bag
    that would not match the bigger camera. Let's see, but I would
    have to decide quickly, because I guess the price for used FZ1
    cameras will already plummet.

    I'd be interested in the low light behavior of the FZ10. This is
    the FZ1 weak spot.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 4, 2003
  12. "Joanne" <> wrote:

    >I was excited about the FZ10 announcement, but unfortunately the camera is
    >too large for my purposes. The FZ1 is very compact, lightweight and easy to
    >carry around all day long. If the FZ2 is released in the US, or if they
    >come out with a 3mp version similar in size to the FZ1, I will upgrade at
    >that time.

    Joanne,

    my feelings exactly. I will ponder the thought of swapping my
    FZ1 for a FZ10 for another while, but a bigger camera is not
    really what I want.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 4, 2003
  13. Dave Brown

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    > Barry Smith <> wrote:
    >
    > >In message <>
    > > Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    > >> By the way, somebody wrote here that the FZ10 is much bigger
    > >> than the FZ1 or the FZ2, but I don't think that's true.

    > >That may have been me. I looked at the image at
    > >http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/...start=25&sid=bd3f2765daccdd1090b18f4ec837ea5a

    > Barry,
    >
    > I have to retract. The FZ10 is bigger than the FZ1. Reference:
    >
    > http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webap...d=11056&modelNo=DMC-FZ10K&surfModel=DMC-FZ10K

    And quite a lot heavier too.

    > By the way, the FZ10 also uses a fatter battery, 1400 mAh, about
    > twice the capacity of that of the FZ1. It probably needs it for
    > the bigger sensor and perhaps a bigger processor as well.
    >
    > This probably means that I will stand back and stick to my FZ1
    > for the time being.

    Although the features are nice, especially the 12x zoom, I think the weight
    and size will put me off. I'm still thinking seriously about the FZ2.

    Barry
    --
    The internet has had no effect on my life wwwhatsoever.com
    Barry Smith, Oct 4, 2003
  14. Barry Smith <> wrote:

    >Although the features are nice, especially the 12x zoom, I think the weight
    >and size will put me off. I'm still thinking seriously about the FZ2.

    Barry,

    I thought about that too, but I still don't see anything in the
    FZ2 that the FZ1 doesn't have and that is genuinely useful. Note
    that the different program settings of the FZ1 allow you to
    shift the balance between aperture and exposure time, so the
    aperture or time priority settings of the FZ2, though nice, are
    not essential.

    Sure, if I had to buy one now, I would choose the FZ2 even if I
    had a choice, but it doesn't seem to be enticing enough to
    switch.

    Are there any other attractive new features in the FZ2 that I
    may have overlooked?

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 5, 2003
  15. Dave Brown

    NJ Guest

    Joanne wrote in rec.photo.digital:

    > I've had the FZ1 for a couple of months and I love it. Here are some
    > pics I took with it on vacation last week in Cape Cod:
    >
    > http://www.joannesplace.com/albums/ptown/index.html
    >
    > http://www.joannesplace.com/albums/whales/index.html

    Nice pix! Looks like you had a whale of a time! ;)

    > I never print larger than 8x10 - most of my photos are for web sites
    > or burned to CD - so 2mp is plenty for me.

    Ditto.

    > I researched for several
    > months looking for the "perfect camera",

    Actually, when I walked into the store I was going to get an Olympus and
    saw the FZ1 in the case. When I asked the guy about it he got all
    exicited and started bragging about it. It works great for me! :)

    > I was excited about the FZ10 announcement, but unfortunately the
    > camera is too large for my purposes.

    Ditto again. There is a lot of speculation going on over at Steve's
    DigiCams. The Panasonic rep is cautioning people not to jump to
    conclusions because the final specs aren't in yet, but it looks like it
    will be a 72mm thread (the FZ1/2 is 55mm). I have a UV filter and am
    going to pickup a ND filter. I am also thinking of getting a closeup
    filter and an infrared. So, if I got the FZ10 I would have to start my
    filter collection all over again. Also, it looks like the FZ10 will use
    a different battery and I already spent $24.95 on an extra battery.
    NJ, Oct 7, 2003
  16. Joanne, NJ,

    let's wait for the FZ4. :)

    It will be a camera with the shape and size of the FZ1 and the
    functions of the FZ10.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 7, 2003
  17. Dave Brown

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    > Barry Smith <> wrote:
    >
    > >Although the features are nice, especially the 12x zoom, I think the weight
    > >and size will put me off. I'm still thinking seriously about the FZ2.

    > Barry,
    >
    > I thought about that too, but I still don't see anything in the
    > FZ2 that the FZ1 doesn't have and that is genuinely useful. Note
    > that the different program settings of the FZ1 allow you to
    > shift the balance between aperture and exposure time, so the
    > aperture or time priority settings of the FZ2, though nice, are
    > not essential.

    Looking at dpreview.com I thought the FZ1 didn't have aperture
    and shutter priority modes, but you seem to be suggesting that
    you have some (but not total) control.

    Having been used to a manual SLR (Canon AE1) I would miss not being able
    to have some control. If the pictures turn out bad I have to blame
    myself not the camera !

    > Sure, if I had to buy one now, I would choose the FZ2 even if I
    > had a choice, but it doesn't seem to be enticing enough to
    > switch.

    I agree. Changing from FZ1 to FZ2 won't give you much extra.

    > Are there any other attractive new features in the FZ2 that I
    > may have overlooked?

    Yes. I think the FZ1 is now discontinued :)

    or see www.dpreview.com and do a side by side comaprison.

    I suppose I could buy an FZ1 2nd hand, but at 300 uk pounds for a new FZ2
    I don't think that's a serious option.

    Barry
    --
    There are two secrets to life: 1) Never tell anyone everything you know.
    Barry Smith, Oct 7, 2003
  18. Dave Brown

    Barry Smith Guest

    In message <>
    Hans-Georg Michna <> wrote:

    > Joanne, NJ,
    >
    > let's wait for the FZ4. :)
    >
    > It will be a camera with the shape and size of the FZ1 and the
    > functions of the FZ10.

    No. I want the FZ6 ! 6 Mpix, time lapse facility and 'B' shutter mode :)

    Barry
    --
    You will know happy motorcyclist by the insects on his teeth.
    Barry Smith, Oct 7, 2003
  19. Dave Brown

    Joanne Guest

    "Hans-Georg Michna" <> wrote in message
    > It will be a camera with the shape and size of the FZ1 and the
    > functions of the FZ10.

    Now you're getting me all excited ;-)

    I'd even be happy with an FZ3 - 3 mp, FZ1 size & weight, FZ10 features
    (except the MP & 72mm lens!)
    Joanne, Oct 8, 2003
  20. Barry Smith <> wrote:

    >Looking at dpreview.com I thought the FZ1 didn't have aperture
    >and shutter priority modes, but you seem to be suggesting that
    >you have some (but not total) control.

    Barry,

    yes, the different programs, selectable by the icons on the
    program wheel, do just that. They give you larger or smaller
    aperture and a correspondingly shorter or longer exposure time.

    You have to learn which ones do what, but they are nicely sorted
    by effect.

    That's good enough for me, and for many purposes it's even
    better than setting a fixed aperture or a fixed exposure time,
    because the camera still adjusts things sensibly when the
    available light changes.

    But if you buy an FZ2 now, you get the other functions anyway
    too.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.