Lucky find.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I'n a happy chappy. I've been helping the missus look after her folk's place
    and their business over the weekend. They run a refuse-transfer station. A
    guy (local doctor) threw out a PC the other day, so of course I went to the
    skip and pulled it out, thinking "Another old Pentium I or 486 even". Well,
    it was a PB Tech Celeron 600 coppermine, no HDD and no RAM and blown PSU. (I
    plugged it in and it fizzed and crackled) The CPU fan didn't turn, just
    jerked a little and after I removed the fan from the heatsink I could see
    why. It was CHOKKA with dust. It looked like concrete, grey and solid, right
    down through the fins. I've never seen a heatsink that bad.

    I'm assuming that he had problems with his machine, that it kept crashing,
    so he called someone in to get it looked at and was told he needed a new
    one. He's a tight-arse with a little knowledge so he would have asked about
    the RAM and HDD, either re-using them or getting a bit of a
    discount/trade-in for them.

    Amyway, I've just finished cleaning the heatsink and fan up. I had to chip
    the gunk out with a screwdriver. I usually use a stiff-bristled paintbrush
    but this one was too much for it. Replaced the fan on the HS and it runs
    fine. Replaced the HSF on the CPU with a little dab of Arctic Silver III
    and.... Woohoo!! My gateway PC was a celeron mendicino 400 O/Ced to 545Mhz,
    now it's a celeron coppermine 600 O/Ced to 855Mhz. Over-volted slightly and
    running sweet as a nut. Currently running Prime95 torture-test and SETI
    concurrently effortlessly without any sign of errors.

    I'll test the mobo out later, although it's not too flash. One of the
    intermediary type with both Slot 1 and Socket 370 CPU fixtures and on-board
    graphics with no AGP slot.

    Yay!! Free CPU upgrade!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    Sting Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:51:37 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    >I'n a happy chappy. I've been helping the missus look after her folk's place
    >and their business over the weekend. They run a refuse-transfer station. A
    >guy (local doctor) threw out a PC the other day, so of course I went to the
    >skip and pulled it out, thinking "Another old Pentium I or 486 even". Well,
    >it was a PB Tech Celeron 600 coppermine, no HDD and no RAM and blown PSU. (I
    >plugged it in and it fizzed and crackled) The CPU fan didn't turn, just
    >jerked a little and after I removed the fan from the heatsink I could see
    >why. It was CHOKKA with dust. It looked like concrete, grey and solid, right
    >down through the fins. I've never seen a heatsink that bad.
    >
    >I'm assuming that he had problems with his machine, that it kept crashing,
    >so he called someone in to get it looked at and was told he needed a new
    >one. He's a tight-arse with a little knowledge so he would have asked about
    >the RAM and HDD, either re-using them or getting a bit of a
    >discount/trade-in for them.
    >
    >Amyway, I've just finished cleaning the heatsink and fan up. I had to chip
    >the gunk out with a screwdriver. I usually use a stiff-bristled paintbrush
    >but this one was too much for it. Replaced the fan on the HS and it runs
    >fine. Replaced the HSF on the CPU with a little dab of Arctic Silver III
    >and.... Woohoo!! My gateway PC was a celeron mendicino 400 O/Ced to 545Mhz,
    >now it's a celeron coppermine 600 O/Ced to 855Mhz. Over-volted slightly and
    >running sweet as a nut. Currently running Prime95 torture-test and SETI
    >concurrently effortlessly without any sign of errors.
    >
    >I'll test the mobo out later, although it's not too flash. One of the
    >intermediary type with both Slot 1 and Socket 370 CPU fixtures and on-board
    >graphics with no AGP slot.
    >
    >Yay!! Free CPU upgrade!

    Good score
    Sting, Sep 29, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Sting" <> wrote in message

    > Good score

    I reckon. I've just upped the FSB to 100 half an hour ago and now it's going
    fine at 900MHz. Still running prime95 with no errors. It's a cC0 stepping
    and I've just been googling and I see that some of these have been known to
    do over 1GHz fairly easilly. I think I'd need a better HSF than the stock
    one to do that though.

    I have a 600 cB0 stepping 600 that tops out at 855MHz, that's why I tried
    that first. This cC0 seems a lot more stable at higher frequencies.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 29, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > Yay!! Free CPU upgrade!

    woohoo
    T.N.O., Sep 29, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    Dogg Guest

    On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:51:37 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Yay!! Free CPU upgrade!

    You'll be blasting through the SETI WU's now :)
    Dogg, Sep 29, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "T.N.O." <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" wrote
    > > Yay!! Free CPU upgrade!

    > woohoo

    Wohoo is right. SETI units will get crunched faster!!
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Dogg" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 20:51:37 +1200, "~misfit~"
    > <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    > >
    > >Yay!! Free CPU upgrade!

    > You'll be blasting through the SETI WU's now :)

    LOL, yeah. This machine is only my gateway/firewall/file server (mp3s). It's
    running XP so even the celly 400 that was in there, before I O/Ced it, was
    more than adequate. I do however have it crunching SETI WUs too so that, and
    the fact that the CPU was free, was my motivation for the upgrade. Around 11
    hours a WU now it seems, a big improvement over 17 hrs with the 400@545.
    (using the GUI)

    It ran Prime95 all night at 900MHz with no errors. I'm impressed.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 30, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    steve Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Yay!! Free CPU upgrade!
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Well done. :eek:)
    steve, Sep 30, 2003
  9. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    "~misfit~" wrote
    > > woohoo

    > Wohoo is right. SETI units will get crunched faster!!

    I can still beat you.
    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003
  10. ~misfit~

    Rider Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message
    > I'n a happy chappy.

    Speaking of which, and I might have missed the post if you posted about it
    ........ did you get that pc going that wouldnt boot no matter what you
    tried?? Just out of curiousity. :)

    Rider
    Rider, Sep 30, 2003
  11. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:48:41 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"~misfit~" wrote
    >> > woohoo

    >> Wohoo is right. SETI units will get crunched faster!!

    >I can still beat you.

    I'm coming to get you Barry :)
    Bret, Sep 30, 2003
  12. ~misfit~

    T.N.O. Guest

    "Bret" wrote
    > >> Wohoo is right. SETI units will get crunched faster!!

    > >I can still beat you.

    > I'm coming to get you Barry :)

    I have ~30 units that I havent uploaded yet... still reckon you can do it...
    I plan to be in the top 5 in nz.comp by the end of the year.
    T.N.O., Sep 30, 2003
  13. ~misfit~

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:54:47 +1200, "T.N.O." <> wrote:

    >"Bret" wrote

    >> >I can still beat you.

    >> I'm coming to get you Barry :)

    >I have ~30 units that I havent uploaded yet... still reckon you can do it...
    >I plan to be in the top 5 in nz.comp by the end of the year.

    Considering my total is half yours, it may take longer than the end of
    the year :)
    Bret, Sep 30, 2003