    definition. So if you're going to insult the man, do so for the right
    reasons and at least use the correct terminology. Thank you and
    goodnight.

    Robby, Oct 29, 2004

  2. Robby

    Jay G. Guest

    On 29 Oct 2004 10:11:49 -0700, Robby wrote:

    > I've seen plenty of posts about how George Lucas is only after
    > everyone's money and doesn't care how he gets it. Now, I'm not going
    > to defend the man or his work like others have done, I just want to
    > point out the idiocy of this theory:
    > If he wanted our money any way possible, he WOULD release the
    > originals in all their glory. By not doing so, he is LOSING money from
    > all of you who say they won't buy anything except the originals. Does
    > that sound like a money grubber, or someone who wants only the
    > versions HE is happy with on the market?

    Actually, when last asked, Lucas cited the cost of restoring, transferring,
    and mastering the original versions as a reason why they haven't been made
    available on DVD. So it does sound like money is a issue to him.

    -Jay

    Jay G., Oct 30, 2004

  3. Robby

    Zygon Curry Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:09:12 -0500, "Jay G." <> wrote:

    >On 29 Oct 2004 10:11:49 -0700, Robby wrote:
    >
    >> I've seen plenty of posts about how George Lucas is only after
    >> everyone's money and doesn't care how he gets it. Now, I'm not going
    >> to defend the man or his work like others have done, I just want to
    >> point out the idiocy of this theory:
    >> If he wanted our money any way possible, he WOULD release the
    >> originals in all their glory. By not doing so, he is LOSING money from
    >> all of you who say they won't buy anything except the originals. Does
    >> that sound like a money grubber, or someone who wants only the
    >> versions HE is happy with on the market?

    >Actually, when last asked, Lucas cited the cost of restoring, transferring,
    >and mastering the original versions as a reason why they haven't been made
    >available on DVD. So it does sound like money is a issue to him.

    Last I heard was from an interview with George Lucas where he said
    that he only wanted to release the versions he was happy with, and
    that the DVDs available are those versions. He also added that if
    anyone wanted the originals they were available on VHS.

    Zygon Curry, Oct 31, 2004
  4. Robby

    Jay G. Guest

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:25:34 +0000, Zygon Curry wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:09:12 -0500, "Jay G." <> wrote:
    >
    >>Actually, when last asked, Lucas cited the cost of restoring, transferring,
    >>and mastering the original versions as a reason why they haven't been made
    >>available on DVD. So it does sound like money is a issue to him.

    > Last I heard was from an interview with George Lucas where he said
    > that he only wanted to release the versions he was happy with, and
    > that the DVDs available are those versions. He also added that if
    > anyone wanted the originals they were available on VHS.

    Q: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

    LUCAS: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The
    other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ...

    I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars
    here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me,
    it doesn't really exist anymore.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/20/film.qa.george.lucas.ap/index.html

    So money is a factor. After all, if it wouldn't cost him much to release
    the original versions, wouldn't it make him *more* of a dick that he won't?

    -Jay

    Jay G., Oct 31, 2004
  5. Robby

    AMSNYD Guest

    << Subject: Re: Lucas and Muckraking
    From: "Jay G."
    Date: SunThurOct 5312020042004 7:34 AM

    On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 10:25:34 +0000, Zygon Curry wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 18:09:12 -0500, "Jay G." <> wrote:
    >
    >>Actually, when last asked, Lucas cited the cost of restoring, transferring,
    >>and mastering the original versions as a reason why they haven't been made
    >>available on DVD. So it does sound like money is a issue to him.

    > Last I heard was from an interview with George Lucas where he said
    > that he only wanted to release the versions he was happy with, and
    > that the DVDs available are those versions. He also added that if
    > anyone wanted the originals they were available on VHS.

    Q: Why not release both the originals and special editions on DVD?

    LUCAS: The special edition, that's the one I wanted out there. The
    other movie, it's on VHS, if anybody wants it. ...

    I'm not going to spend the, we're talking millions of dollars
    here, the money and the time to refurbish that, because to me,
    it doesn't really exist anymore.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/09/20/film.qa.george.lucas.ap/index.html

    So money is a factor. After all, if it wouldn't cost him much to release
    the original versions, wouldn't it make him *more* of a dick that he won't?
    >><BR><BR>

    Of course he's not going to spend all that money to put both the SE's and the
    originals on dvd. He's going to spend the money to put the SE's out and then,
    after they have been bought up, he'll spend the money to put out the originals
    so people will buy the SE's while waiting. It's clever marketing.
    --
    Aaron Snyder
    or

    AMSNYD, Nov 10, 2004