    avail. Any advice?
    --
    Coyatee
    =?Utf-8?B?Q295YXRlZQ==?=, Feb 22, 2007

  2. Coyatee wrote:
    > After posting and while loading Windows XP Pro. my computer halts with a
    > "lsass.exe - System Error" window that states "An invalid parameter was
    > passed to a service or function".
    >
    > I've tried safe boot; changing order of "Boot Sequence" (Putting "floppy"
    > first, with Windows XP Pro. disk inserted, and "Hard Disk" second); to no
    > avail. Any advice?

    Dear Coyatee:

    I've been chasing a similar Lsass.exe problem on my wife's laptop for
    several days. What you're seeing might be due to a Sasser virus, or it
    could be due to some other form of system corruption. The "LS" in
    Lsass.exe stands for "local security". When you have an Lsass.exe
    problem, you're probably not going to be able to boot your machine, even
    in safe mode. (That's the case with my wife's laptop.)

    There exist Sasser virus removal tools, including one from Symantec, but
    I haven't found one that is bootable. They all seem to require Windows
    to run; they are not free-standing. This is a terrible circularity.

    I tried booting from an XP installation CD and bringing up the recovery
    console, my first attempt at doing so. It's basically pretty worthless,
    since you can't use it to run programs. (I was hoping to be able to run
    a virus removal tool.)

    Microsoft also has a "Malicious Software" tool, but it requires a
    working Windows environment. It, too is worthless under the
    circumstances you and I are encountering. Another cruel hoax brought to
    us by MS.

    Searching the web will yield hundreds and hundreds of hits, most of
    which are pleas for help.

    I hope someone out there can help us. If you know a solution, please
    respond.

    Regards,
    Jim
    Jim Henriksen, Feb 23, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Q295YXRlZQ==?=

    Kue2 Guest

    If u can boot to safe mode with Internet then run scan from any on-line
    virus scanner.
    If u have to format & reinstall make sure u scan any cd disks that u used in
    the infected computer,prior to reinstalling

    You can also try this,I found this on the internet:
    There is also a new Virus that also enters directly into your System’s
    registry.W32.sasser.D Worm is also known as W32.Sasser Worm.
    Please install the latest utility from F-secure. The W32.Sasser
    disinfections tool has been updated to remove W32.Sasser.D Worm.
    It is available at http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sasser_d.shtml.
    It finds actively infected files which prevents constant reboot of your
    computer. Other side effect of this worm's, that they spreading and crashes
    LSASS.EXE which forces Windows to reboot. This makes it rather difficult to
    fetch and install the required security patch.
    To prevent LSASS.EXE from crashing, you have to setup Read-Only attribute on
    dcpromo.log file :
    %System Root%\Debug\dcpromo.log
    where %System Root % is the Windows Directory( Typically C:\WINDOWS or
    C:\WINNT).

    Good luck hope this helps

    Kue2, Feb 23, 2007
  4. Kue2 wrote:
> [...]

    >> but I haven't found one that is bootable. They all seem to require
    >> Windows to run; they are not free-standing. This is a terrible
    >> circularity.
    >>
    >> I tried booting from an XP installation CD and bringing up the
    >> recovery console, my first attempt at doing so. It's basically pretty
    >> worthless, since you can't use it to run programs. (I was hoping to
    >> be able to run a virus removal tool.)
    >>
    >> Microsoft also has a "Malicious Software" tool, but it requires a
    >> working Windows environment. It, too is worthless under the
    >> circumstances you and I are encountering. Another cruel hoax brought
    >> to us by MS.
    >>
    >> Searching the web will yield hundreds and hundreds of hits, most of
    >> which are pleas for help.
    >>
    >> I hope someone out there can help us. If you know a solution, please

    Thanks for trying to help.

    As I said, the problem with the Lsass.exe problem is that you can't
    boot, not even in safe mode. Therefore any method of eradicating the
    problem must be bootable.

    I looked at the link you suggested and tried a recommended approach for
    breaking the endless reboot loop. It didn't work.

    Regards,
    Jim
    Jim Henriksen, Feb 24, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Q295YXRlZQ==?=

    Dshai Guest

    If you're using Norton's, I'm assuming you are since you mentioned them,
    boot to your Norton's cd and run the virus scan from the cd itself, it may
    or may not work but it's an option that's available, it may give you just
    enough leeway to keep windows up long enough to run the removal tool.

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    > Kue2 wrote:
    >> If u can boot to safe mode with Internet then run scan from any on-line
    >> virus scanner.
    >> If u have to format & reinstall make sure u scan any cd disks that u used
    >> in the infected computer,prior to reinstalling
    >>
    >> You can also try this,I found this on the internet:
    >> There is also a new Virus that also enters directly into your System's
    >> registry.W32.sasser.D Worm is also known as W32.Sasser Worm.
    >> Please install the latest utility from F-secure. The W32.Sasser
    >> disinfections tool has been updated to remove W32.Sasser.D Worm.
    >> It is available at http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/sasser_d.shtml.
    >> It finds actively infected files which prevents constant reboot of your
    >> computer. Other side effect of this worm's, that they spreading and
    >> crashes LSASS.EXE which forces Windows to reboot. This makes it rather
    >> difficult to fetch and install the required security patch.
    >> To prevent LSASS.EXE from crashing, you have to setup Read-Only attribute
    >> on dcpromo.log file :
    >> %System Root%\Debug\dcpromo.log
    >> where %System Root % is the Windows Directory( Typically C:\WINDOWS or
    >> C:\WINNT).
    >>
    >> Good luck hope this helps
    >>
    >> "Jim Henriksen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Dear Coyatee:
    >>>
    >>> I've been chasing a similar Lsass.exe problem on my wife's laptop for
    >>> several days. What you're seeing might be due to a Sasser virus, or it
    >>> could be due to some other form of system corruption. The "LS" in
    >>> Lsass.exe stands for "local security". When you have an Lsass.exe
    >>> problem, you're probably not going to be able to boot your machine, even
    >>> in safe mode. (That's the case with my wife's laptop.)
    >>>
    >>> There exist Sasser virus removal tools, including one from Symantec, but
    >>> I haven't found one that is bootable. They all seem to require Windows
    >>> to run; they are not free-standing. This is a terrible circularity.
    >>>
    >>> I tried booting from an XP installation CD and bringing up the recovery
    >>> console, my first attempt at doing so. It's basically pretty worthless,
    >>> since you can't use it to run programs. (I was hoping to be able to run
    >>> a virus removal tool.)
    >>>
    >>> Microsoft also has a "Malicious Software" tool, but it requires a
    >>> working Windows environment. It, too is worthless under the
    >>> circumstances you and I are encountering. Another cruel hoax brought to
    >>> us by MS.
    >>>
    >>> Searching the web will yield hundreds and hundreds of hits, most of
    >>> which are pleas for help.
    >>>
    >>> I hope someone out there can help us. If you know a solution, please
    >>> respond.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Jim

    Dshai, Feb 25, 2007