    I've tried booting from an XP set up disc but that didn't work either.
    --
    Ben
    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEM=?=, Feb 4, 2007

  2. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Check
    http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=WORM_SASSER.F&VSect=T

    John Barnes, Feb 4, 2007

  3. Ben:
    Try Google.
    There are more that one million pages dealing with your problem.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Feb 5, 2007
  4. Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    Thanks, John. But the solution on that site assumes that I can get to
    Windows. I can't get to START - PROGRAM, etc. . Just keeps looping and ending
    up with that message.
    --
    Ben

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEM=?=, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    One random tip - If you are running Active Directory:

    http://www.securityfocus.com/advisories/5544

    If not, MS KB ( the Knowledge Base, seem to favor Johns suggestion of this
    being related to the Sasser thing! )

    I would run a thorough virus check on everything that has been into contact
    with your machine since this happened.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 6, 2007
  6. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEM=?=

    Dshai Guest

    Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    Ben,
    Try F8 while booting to get the boot menu, then select safe mode, if your
    boot is successful you should then be able to run a thorough virsu scan
    which should ID and quarantine the virus if it's present, it does sound like
    a Sasser infection.

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Feb 6, 2007
  7. Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    Thanks, Dshai. I tried Safe Mode. It does the same thing, i.e loops back to
    the message "lsaas.exe - Buffer Overflow".

    --
    Ben

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEM=?=, Feb 6, 2007
  8. Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    In this case, I think you should make a 'Repair Install', it will keep your
    personal files but will require re-installing any SATA and/or RAID drivers
    plus all the Windows Updates! Then, have your AV do a full Boot-Time scan.

    You said in your first post that you tried booting off a setup disk - if
    this still fails, check your BIOS and the Boot-Order, or you can try [F11]
    after POST and your BIOS might serve you a Boot-Menu? If all this fails, I
    would have a look in the BIOS section of your motherboard manual and check
    how you can reset the BIOS to it's default - sometimes you have to short two
    pins on the board, and sometimes you should remove the CMOS battery for ten
    seconds, and sometimes the BIOS has it's own internal function to save and
    reset.

    Some BIOS's you can flash online. That's an option too.

    If the machine does not respond at all, I guess we are talking a new
    motherboard?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 6, 2007
  9. =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEM=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    Many A/V can run from the install CD. Also you can download some clean-up
    programs from various sites and run them from a CD.

    John Barnes, Feb 6, 2007
  10. Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    Wow, Tony. You've given me some hope and alot of homework. I'll let you know
    how it goes. Thank you.
    --
    Ben

    =?Utf-8?B?QmVuIEM=?=, Feb 7, 2007
  11. Re: LSASS.EXE-BUFFER OVERFLOW: DATA TOO LARGE TO FIT INTO SPECIFIE

    If you find yourself scratching your head over any of this - please let us
    clarify! The manual might be as good a place to start as anywhere. But if
    you are not comfy with the BIOS, your machine will beg you to read up on
    that stuff!

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Feb 7, 2007