    Abhilash Guest

    Ant one know how to format and to remove the bad sector from the hard disk
    pls help me .....
    Abhilash, Jan 13, 2007

  2. Abhilash

    Cerebrus Guest

    Abhilash wrote:
    > Ant one know how to format and to remove the bad sector from the hard disk
    > pls help me .....

    AFAIK, you cannot "remove" bad sectors from your hard drive. Those are
    *usually* physically damaged portions of your disk that are marked as
    "bad" during a disk scan so as to avoid putting data into them. There
    are many software out there which claim to "remove" bad sectors, but
    IMHO, they only remove the "bad" tag from sectors which were
    erroneously marked as bad.

    As for Low level formatting your hard disk, every HDD manufacturer
    provides a utility for this purpose. See this page, which lists the
    links you need to visit depending on the manufacturer :

    <http://www.ariolic.com/activesmart/low-level-format.html>
    Cerebrus, Jan 14, 2007

  3. Abhilash

    Cerebrus Guest

    I think I should also add that Low level formatting your disk will not
    solve your problem. It will completely erase the disk, including those
    tags that mark a sector as "bad". So, when you install an OS onto the
    disk, there is a possibility that some data might be installed into a
    bad sector, and therefore render your OS unusable.

    In other words, "bad" sectors are "good" for you, because they tell you
    that it's time to start backing up your data and look for a new hard
    disk.
    Cerebrus, Jan 14, 2007