    small camera has the lowest noise, best picture quality or largest imaging
    sensor? Thanks for all replies!

    Nathan
    N.E.1., Sep 21, 2003

  2. N.E.1.

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <aRobb.6873$>,
    says...
    > Does anyone have any idea which Point and Shoot model has the absolute best
    > picture quality? Not just pixel count but lowest noise. My Canon 10D is
    > incredible for picture quality but it's seriously lacking in portability.
    > Although I'd rather lug around my 10D than take a crummy-quality picture
    > with a more convenient camera. Even the picture output of Canon's new G5 is
    > lame in comparison. It appears that all of the manufacturers are in a
    > pissing contest over pixel count and ignoring development of cameras that
    > actually take *quality* pictures. The difference between the 10D and the G5
    > (and all other Point and Shoots that I've run across) is like the difference
    > between 35mm and Large Format. Does any manufacturer advertise that their
    > small camera has the lowest noise, best picture quality or largest imaging
    > sensor? Thanks for all replies!

    The Olympus 4040 has quite a low noise level at ISO 100 (even lower than
    the noise level of the Canon G2 at ISO 100).
    The Sony 707 also has a relatively low noise level, but is more bulky.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Sep 21, 2003

  3. N.E.1.

    Tore Lund Guest

    N.E.1. wrote:
    > Does anyone have any idea which Point and Shoot model has the absolute best
    > picture quality? Not just pixel count but lowest noise. My Canon 10D is
    > incredible for picture quality but it's seriously lacking in portability.
    > Although I'd rather lug around my 10D than take a crummy-quality picture
    > with a more convenient camera. Even the picture output of Canon's new G5 is
    > lame in comparison. It appears that all of the manufacturers are in a
    > pissing contest over pixel count and ignoring development of cameras that
    > actually take *quality* pictures. The difference between the 10D and the G5
    > (and all other Point and Shoots that I've run across) is like the difference
    > between 35mm and Large Format. Does any manufacturer advertise that their
    > small camera has the lowest noise, best picture quality or largest imaging
    > sensor? Thanks for all replies!

    You might find something of interest in this thread at dpreview:

    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1018&message=5662841

    --
    Tore
    Tore Lund, Sep 21, 2003
  4. N.E.1.

    Lyle Gordon Guest

    What about a 35mm P&S it rivals the quality of a 10D (easily) and the
    portability of a small noisy digital. A olympus stylus epic loaded with fuji
    reala is hard to beat.

    --
    remove nospam. from e-mail to reply

    Lyle Gordon, Sep 22, 2003
  5. N.E.1.

    Steve Young Guest

    Why not a Canon 300D? A bit smaller and lighter than the 10D, noise levels
    much lower than any similarly priced point and shoot, plus the added benefit
    of using your current 10D lenses. Now a question myself. Out of curiosity,
    has anyone tried the new 300D 'kit' lens on a 10D?
    Steve Young, Sep 22, 2003
  6. N.E.1.

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <CLtbb.148600$0v4.11004338@bgtnsc04-
    news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, says...
    > Out of curiosity,
    > has anyone tried the new 300D 'kit' lens on a 10D?

    The 18-55 is an EF-S lens which will not work on the 10D. The rear
    element of the lens protrudes into the mirror box too much and the
    mirror would contact it. I assume Canon took the necessary precautions
    to prevent the EF-S lenses from physically mounting on an EF mount.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker
    Todd Walker, Sep 22, 2003
  7. N.E.1.

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Some manufacturers give you their noise specs, others do not. With the
    standard silicon CCD chip, there is not that much difference in noise on
    chips, though usually bigger (larger area chip) is better. Another
    determinor is lens f/#. Faster the lens, lower the noise can be. At
    least, without pushing to too slow a shutter speed.

    --
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota

    Don Stauffer, Sep 22, 2003
  8. N.E.1.

    Steve Young Guest

    > > news.ops says...
    > > Out of curiosity,
    > > has anyone tried the new 300D 'kit' lens on a 10D?

    > "Todd Walker" <> wrote
    > The 18-55 is an EF-S lens which will not work on the 10D. The rear
    > element of the lens protrudes into the mirror box too much and the
    > mirror would contact it.

    Yes, the 'S' lens does seat deeper into the camera, from what I've read.
    That's of course why you couldn't use it on the film bodies.

    > I assume Canon took the necessary precautions
    > to prevent the EF-S lenses from physically mounting on an EF mount.

    Why not allow them to swap with the digitals?
    Somewhere I read that Canon is planing a series of 'S' lenses for digital
    cameras only, (perhaps Canon's small sensor answer to the 4/3rd?). That would
    seem to make sense. I was just curious whether the 10D had enough digital in
    it to fit that category (Might be a good test on whether the D60 is "Totally
    Digital" (as another poster here insists ;)

    Steve Young
    Steve Young, Sep 23, 2003
  9. N.E.1.

    Steve Young Guest

    > > > news.ops says...
    > > > Out of curiosity,
    > > > has anyone tried the new 300D 'kit' lens on a 10D?

    > > "Todd Walker" <> wrote

    > > I assume Canon took the necessary precautions
    > > to prevent the EF-S lenses from physically mounting on an EF mount.

    Isn't that what the current digital mount is, to accommodate old glass (EF)?
    Everybody's been using old mount (EF) glass up until the EF-S

    > "Steve Young" <> wrote
    > Why not allow them to swap with the digitals?
    > Somewhere I read that Canon is planing a series of 'S' lenses for digital
    > cameras only, (perhaps Canon's small sensor answer to the 4/3rd?).

    Seems it would be a natural to extend the value down to prosumers, allowing a
    person to invest in the better glass as they desire. This would migrate itself
    both ways, i.e.(professional with a runner, and an amateur headed up), it all
    works together, no matter how much of which you happen to be.

    Steve Young
    Steve Young, Sep 23, 2003