Lowest cost simulator for learning (NOT certification)

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Castravete, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. Castravete

    Castravete Guest

    I am looking into trying to learn Cisco CatOS/IOS CLI, from configuration
    of ports and VLANs, to routing issues (multi-layer switching, to being
    with). For this I would dare to ask for some guidance.

    1. I was looking into software "simulators" (a-la Boson), but before
    spending any money I was wondering how "certification-oriented" these are,
    vs. really learning how to setup things. I would also appreciate some
    input regarding which ones are really worth their costs.

    2. I was also looking into Cisco-like systems (a-la
    http://www.freesco.org/), but I am not aware of any capable of covering
    the whole range of possibilities (see "opening statement" about those),
    and how close they really come to utilizing CatOS/IOS syntax.

    3. I have also seen on-line simulators - but, yet again - I have no
    experience to which ones are cost worthy.

    I would appreciate any advice in this regard.

    TIA,
    Castravete
    Castravete, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Castravete

    SysAdm Guest

    "Castravete" <> wrote in message
    > I am looking into trying to learn Cisco CatOS/IOS CLI, from configuration
    > of ports and VLANs, to routing issues (multi-layer switching, to being
    > with). For this I would dare to ask for some guidance.
    >
    > 1. I was looking into software "simulators" (a-la Boson), but before
    > spending any money I was wondering how "certification-oriented" these are,
    > vs. really learning how to setup things. I would also appreciate some
    > input regarding which ones are really worth their costs.

    <snip>

    how much $$$ u got to spend ??
    SysAdm, Feb 11, 2005