Lower the radar

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gordon, Oct 10, 2010.

  1. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    http://www.joindiaspora.com/2010/09/15/developer-release.html

    Developer Release

    Today, we are releasing the source code for Diaspora. This is now a
    community project and development is open to anyone with the technical
    expertise who shares the vision of a social network that puts users in
    control. From now on, we will be working closely with the community on
    improving and solidifying Diaspora.

    We began the summer with a list of technologies, a few bold claims, and the
    goal of making an intrinsically more private social network. The
    overwhelming response that we elicited made us realize that technology
    woudn’t be enough. Even the most powerful, granular set of dropdowns and
    checkboxes will never give people control over where their content is going,
    let alone give them ownership of their digital self.

    We live our real lives in context, speaking from whatever aspect of
    ourselves that those around us know. Social tools should work the same way.
    Getting the source into the hands of developers is our first experiment in
    making a simple and functional tool for contextual sharing. Diaspora is in
    its infancy, but our initial ideas are there.

    Unquote.

    1) It was a big day for them, 15 September for they released the code.

    2) Now it over to anyone intertested in in what this project stands for to
    join in.

    3) Stand by the radar will be screaming shortly

    4) Facebook will jerk awhile later.

    To me this is a leap forward in philosphy, not technology. The need to
    control whom you share information with. This is a fundemental leap and one
    which progresses things.

    We live our real lives in context, speaking from whatever aspect of
    ourselves that those around us know. Social tools should work the same way.

    Unquote

    Another open source baby has been born. Note how this is an example of
    people pitching in to produce something for the common good, something that
    works the way one wants it to, something that is better. To hell with the
    profit, who knows what, is far more important, and the irony is this is about
    control.
    Gordon, Oct 10, 2010