    Please can anyone tell me if a 40D with 70-200 attached will fit
    comfortably in the AW200?

    Thanks

    MikeG, Jul 5, 2008

  2. MikeG wrote:

    > I'm planning to buy an EF70-200/2.8L/IS/USM for my 40D and I like the
    > look of the Lowepro Slingshot range.
    >
    > Please can anyone tell me if a 40D with 70-200 attached will fit
    > comfortably in the AW200?

    I don't know about that, but I have a caveat for you with respect to those
    bags. I bought one a couple of months ago, because I liked the concept
    of swinging it around to the front for a quick lens change. But the way
    they're designed, while the *camera* section of the main compartment is on
    "top" as you swing it to your belly, the other compartments are only
    accessible by continuing to unzip the flap to open the part that is *away*
    from you (i.e, facing the same direction you are). And because the whole
    inside surface of the bag isn't velcro-lined (it's only got narrow strips
    of velcro where they think you are going to want your dividers), you're
    somewhat limited in how you can customize it. I moved into the bag,
    wasn't happy with those things, unpacked it and took it back. Everyone
    has their own priorities, of course; I just thought I'd point out a couple
    of things to notice when you're looking at them at the store. (And note
    that if you happen to have any of the Tamrac add-on modules, they won't
    fit the straps on Lowepro bags because the Lowepro system uses narrower
    hanger straps.)

    --
    Blinky
    Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2008

  3. In message news:, MikeG
    <> done wrote:

    > I'm planning to buy an EF70-200/2.8L/IS/USM for my 40D and I like the
    > look of the Lowepro Slingshot range.
    >
    > Please can anyone tell me if a 40D with 70-200 attached will fit
    > comfortably in the AW200?

    I think Best Buy carries the AW200 so if there's on near you you can try it
    out.

    Alotta Fagina, Jul 5, 2008
  4. MikeG

    measekite Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > MikeG wrote:
    >

    >> I'm planning to buy an EF70-200/2.8L/IS/USM for my 40D and I like the
    >> look of the Lowepro Slingshot range.
    >>
    >> Please can anyone tell me if a 40D with 70-200 attached will fit
    >> comfortably in the AW200?
    >>

    > I don't know about that, but I have a caveat for you with respect to those
    > bags. I bought one a couple of months ago, because I liked the concept
    > of swinging it around to the front for a quick lens change. But the way
    > they're designed, while the *camera* section of the main compartment is on
    > "top" as you swing it to your belly, the other compartments are only
    > accessible by continuing to unzip the flap to open the part that is *away*
    > from you (i.e, facing the same direction you are). And because the whole
    > inside surface of the bag isn't velcro-lined (it's only got narrow strips
    > of velcro where they think you are going to want your dividers), you're
    > somewhat limited in how you can customize it. I moved into the bag,
    > wasn't happy with those things, unpacked it and took it back. Everyone
    > has their own priorities, of course; I just thought I'd point out a couple
    > of things to notice when you're looking at them at the store. (And note
    > that if you happen to have any of the Tamrac add-on modules, they won't
    > fit the straps on Lowepro bags because the Lowepro system uses narrower
    > hanger straps.)

    So what do you recommend and why?

    measekite, Jul 5, 2008
  5. measekite wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> MikeG wrote:
    >>

    >>> I'm planning to buy an EF70-200/2.8L/IS/USM for my 40D and I like the
    >>> look of the Lowepro Slingshot range.
    >>>
    >>> Please can anyone tell me if a 40D with 70-200 attached will fit
    >>> comfortably in the AW200?

    >> I don't know about that, but I have a caveat for you with respect to
    >> those bags. I bought one a couple of months ago, because I liked the
    >> concept of swinging it around to the front for a quick lens change. But
    >> the way they're designed, while the *camera* section of the main
    >> compartment is on "top" as you swing it to your belly, the other
    >> compartments are only accessible by continuing to unzip the flap to
    >> open the part that is *away* from you (i.e, facing the same direction
    >> you are). And because the whole inside surface of the bag isn't
    >> velcro-lined (it's only got narrow strips of velcro where they think
    >> you are going to want your dividers), you're somewhat limited in how
    >> you can customize it. I moved into the bag, wasn't happy with those
    >> things, unpacked it and took it back. Everyone has their own
    >> priorities, of course; I just thought I'd point out a couple of things
    >> to notice when you're looking at them at the store. (And note that if
    >> you happen to have any of the Tamrac add-on modules, they won't fit the
    >> straps on Lowepro bags because the Lowepro system uses narrower hanger
    >> straps.)
    >>

    > So what do you recommend and why?

    I ended up with a Tamrac Adventure 75. I can't particularly recommend
    that, because everybody's needs and wants are different. I like Tamrac's
    Modular Accessory System and Strap Accessory System, and the wider hangers
    for those items. I looked at Tamrac's sling bag (I can't remember the
    model name), and didn't like it very much. I didn't want a shoulder or
    waist bag for various reasons.

    So I gave up on the sling idea for the time being and went with the
    backpack. I can still "sling" it as far as lens changes go, because I have
    a MAS (see above) lens case on the lower left (as I wear it) corner of the
    backpack, so if I only wear the left shoulder strap, when I pull the bag
    around to the front a bit that module is right there where it's
    convenient. That's probably a little cofusing, but I just happen to have
    onhand a shot of what I'm describing, that I took for a buddy:
    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/lens_accessory3.jpg

    But when I don't need that, I can wear the backpack conventionally, for
    comfort, balance and security. Again, that's just my current solution.
    When a find some new sling bag I like, I may still go that way; I do like
    the concept -- just not the executions I've evaluated.

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 5, 2008
  6. Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > MikeG wrote:

    >> I'm planning to buy an EF70-200/2.8L/IS/USM for my 40D and I like the
    >> look of the Lowepro Slingshot range.
    >>
    >> Please can anyone tell me if a 40D with 70-200 attached will fit
    >> comfortably in the AW200?

    > I don't know about that, but I have a caveat for you with respect to those
    > bags. I bought one a couple of months ago, because I liked the concept
    > of swinging it around to the front for a quick lens change. But the way
    > they're designed, while the *camera* section of the main compartment is on
    > "top" as you swing it to your belly, the other compartments are only
    > accessible by continuing to unzip the flap to open the part that is *away*
    > from you (i.e, facing the same direction you are). And because the whole
    > inside surface of the bag isn't velcro-lined (it's only got narrow strips
    > of velcro where they think you are going to want your dividers), you're
    > somewhat limited in how you can customize it.

    That may depend on model, because my slingshot bag has complete velcro
    panels, not strips. I can put the dividers anywhere.

    --
    Chris Malcolm DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

    Chris Malcolm, Jul 6, 2008
  7. Chris Malcolm wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> MikeG wrote:

    >>> I'm planning to buy an EF70-200/2.8L/IS/USM for my 40D and I like the
    >>> look of the Lowepro Slingshot range.
    >>>
    >>> Please can anyone tell me if a 40D with 70-200 attached will fit
    >>> comfortably in the AW200?

    >> I don't know about that, but I have a caveat for you with respect to those
    >> bags. I bought one a couple of months ago, because I liked the concept
    >> of swinging it around to the front for a quick lens change. But the way
    >> they're designed, while the *camera* section of the main compartment is on
    >> "top" as you swing it to your belly, the other compartments are only
    >> accessible by continuing to unzip the flap to open the part that is *away*
    >> from you (i.e, facing the same direction you are). And because the whole
    >> inside surface of the bag isn't velcro-lined (it's only got narrow strips
    >> of velcro where they think you are going to want your dividers), you're
    >> somewhat limited in how you can customize it.

    > That may depend on model, because my slingshot bag has complete velcro
    > panels, not strips. I can put the dividers anywhere.

    When I was shopping, in mid-late May, there seemed to be two models, I
    believe the 100 and 200. It was the smaller one I took home. I'm pretty
    sure I looked at a 200 as well. I don't remember that difference in shell
    velcro treatment; the bag was just larger. Perhaps there have been
    different builds of the bag even within those model designations.

    Does anyone else reading the thread have one for comparison?

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 6, 2008